Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Important Apps On Your Android Phone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

yimrsg wrote: »
    Gmote.

That is all.

I find remote droid is better as a wireless mouse for what its worth!

To the poster who recommended quickdesk I thank you, but very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Launcherpro ftw - BRILLIANT Launcher, fully customizable, just set it as your default launcher and you have options to get rid of the sense dock and hide the notification bar, use fully customisable icons on the dock, use custom dock backgrounds, rotating dock (up to three docks), 3D app drawer, hide unused apps and tons of other options

Rommanager - loverly settings type interface for downloading and switching between roms, partioning the SD card and loads of other stuff
    Opera mini

JetVD - Downloads youtube videos in HQ

3g watchdog - monitors your mobile data usage

Handcent sms - third party customisable sms client, nice widgets and notifications, a better alternative to stock sms IMO

Shapewriter - similar to swipe i'd imagine, gestured keyboard input

Astro file manager - great way to view files on your phone and install apps etc

Ringdroid - extremely user friendly programme for cutting songs on the phone to custom ringtones, unbelievably easy to use

Widget Locker - excellent lock screen options for widgets, customizable unlock actions, get rid of sense lock screen

Calwidget - excellent, fully customisable and free calendar widget, syncs with existing mail clients, facebook etc.

Beautiful Widgets - No. 1 paid app, very customisable clock and weather widgets, loads of clocks to choose from

With the customisable apps listed above, the only limits to how you want your phone to look is your imagination, just dont put Megan Fox as your lockscreen wallpaper, its far too distracting.

by the way, can anyone tell me where to get swipe, I cant find it on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Turnstyle wrote: »
    google maps with the beta navigation add on,

On holidays in Germany recently and this worked really well for driving and walking about the place as well as finding some bars and shopping centres etc
    only limitation was driving in a heavily forested rural area and the data connection was lost.
    Bet the hell out of giving Hertz €80 for a nav system

I hope you had some roaming data agreement with your carrier or it could have cost you a lot more than 80 squids.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

kippy wrote: »
    I hope you had some roaming data agreement with your carrier or it could have cost you a lot more than 80 squids.

yup, checked all that before i left + its tax deductible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Does anyone have any games important to them? Only one I can think of is replica island to me, though I've completed it twice :P. Most of them are terrible unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Does anyone have any games important to them? Only one I can think of is replica island to me, though I've completed it twice :P. Most of them are terrible unfortunately.

Speedx 3D is the best game I've played on it. It's a paid app though. Brings me back to it more than any other game.

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Speedx 3D is the best game I've played on it. It's a paid app though. Brings me back to it more than any other game.
    God, can't wait for the paid apps. Tempted to buy a UK sim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

smackyB wrote: »
    3. Spotify (truly awesome)

Has this come online for people in Ireland yet ?

EGriff wrote: »

Pretty sure it hasn't. I tried it on a UK proxy but it caught me out after 2 weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah the same thing happened to my account. Are there any good custom radio apps out there like pandora in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

BizCard Reader
    Twitter
    XBMC Remote
    MyTracks
    Gmail Unread Widget

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ZumoDrive -- store your media files in the cloud. Up to 2GB for free.

Touiteur -- best Twitter client I've found. Good widget too. (widget only in paid version I think).

FeedR -- Very good news feed (RSS) reader that syncs with Google Reader. Paid app.

SwiFTP -- Start an FTP server on your phone to wirelessly transfer files to/from it.

Listen -- From Google. I use this for Podcasts. It's good, though I'd be interested to know if there's a better one.

And "+1" to a few apps that others have mentioned...

Rom Manager -- For anyone interested or thinking of using custom roms, this is pretty indispensable.

Swype -- Gesture keyboard. Don't think they're giving out new beta accounts anymore but when this gets released it'll be totally worth whatever they decide to charge.

LauncherPro -- Alternative home screen etc. Just downloaded based on above recommendation... and I like what I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

EGriff wrote: »

I signed up through a UK proxy in the days when an invitation wasn't needed and then converted it to a premium membership (using a UK paypal account), meaning music can be played back in any country. Worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

eoferrall wrote: »
    search 'mobile account checker' and it should come up. only works for meteor and o2 at the moment.

Is it not a bit risky giving a stranger your number and pin?

Theoretically , they could ring meteor and get full access to our accounts , send webtextx from our numbers etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some of mine:

PdaNet: Application that lets you surf the internet on the pc via a usb connection to your phone.

3G Watchdog: Keeps a track of the amount of data you use

MixZing: Much better music player than the stock.

Opera Mini: Handy internet browser to use if you want to keep the data usage down.

Rockplayer: Plays music and movies.

Robo Defense: Seriously addictive game. Demo version long enough to keep you going for a while.

Raging Thunder: Currently only have the demo version which has only one track available but the multiplayer function is good fun and other users who are hosts on the gamerooms can offer different tracks.

World Newspaper: Great little app for reading the main Irish newspapers in mobile format. BBC News apps is also as good.

Cababge: Handy little app for using the 300 free webtexts

Updated list of my most important apps:
    1: Launcherpro (different homescreen options)
    2: MixZing (music player)
    3: Advanced Task Killer (kills apps in the background)
    4: Tunee Music (free music downloads)
    5: K2 (makes use of free Irish webtexts)
    6: Astro (file manager)
    7: chompSMS (alternative SMS app)
    8: GoChat (Facebook Chat)
    9: Engadget (gadget app)
    10: Google Translate (translating app)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Now that the new season is upon us for the premiership, what do you lot reckon is the best football app for news and scores etc?

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Now that the new season is upon us for the premiership, what do you lot reckon is the best football app for news and scores etc?
    I would say Soccer Livescores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

it'd be great if someone had enough time to create an app for the fantasy football. its a pain trying to change the team through a web browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

How do I get my MSISDN Number and password for K2?

• Advertisement

mcasey wrote: »
    How do I get my MSISDN Number and password for K2?
    Im pretty sure its just phone number and pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tierney2

A lot of people mentioned Handcent SMS, I have this installed on Samsung Galaxy Spica but cannot change it from QWERTY to T9??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

tierney2 wrote: »
    A lot of people mentioned Handcent SMS, I have this installed on Samsung Galaxy Spica but cannot change it from QWERTY to T9??
    Handcent SMS is the messaging app replacement.
    Theres Handcent Keyboard on the market too thats the T9.
    It doesnt have good reviews at all though

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tierney2

Any suggestions to the best T9 keyboard then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Best one ive seen is the one on HTCs keyboard.
    The apk for it is on the XDA forums somewhere.

Ok most important games:
    1. Robo Defense: addicting tower defense
    2. Basketball Shot
    3. Replica Island: great RPG
    4: Blow Up Lite: destroy buildings
    5. Air Control : air manager game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Apps I use every day are

K9 - email
    Handcent - SMS
    Dolphin HD - browser
    Estrongs File Explorer
    Google Listen
    Locale - changes settings on my phone based on location. Not free.
    Automatic Task Killer - Great app. Just does what it says on the tin.

Then not every day but important enough.

IMDb
    CoPilot - Offline GPS. Not free.
    MortPlayer Audio Book Player
    MortPlayer Music - Plays music with no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

tech2 wrote: »
    Some of mine:

World Newspaper: Great little app for reading the main Irish newspapers in mobile format. BBC News apps is also as good.

i 2nd that App.. It even gives a link straight into boards site !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

tierney2 wrote: »
    Any suggestions to the best T9 keyboard then?

Without a doubt the best keyboard I've used on *any* phone is SwiftKey. It doesn't just guess the correct spelling like normal T9 - it guesses and suggests the next WORD you want to write!!! And it even updates it's word suggestions by keeping an eye on the sort of phrases you normally use. I'll soon have it speaking Mayo! :-)

Seriously, I hate texting on a phone keyboard (virtual or otherwise), but SwiftKey makes it all OK... It's in beta at the moment and is free to install from the market. I think the beta will expire next month and I suspect that they'll start charging for it then. If they do it'll be only the second app I've ever bought and I won't begrudge a penny of it...

And yes, I have used Swype. I'm actually on their beta list and have access to the official updates which aren't generally available. It's a cool keyboard too, but much and all as I like Swype, it doesn't come close to SwiftKey.

Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Turnstyle wrote: »
    google maps with the beta navigation add on,

On holidays in Germany recently and this worked really well for driving and walking about the place as well as finding some bars and shopping centres etc
    only limitation was driving in a heavily forested rural area and the data connection was lost.
    Bet the hell out of giving Hertz €80 for a nav system

How much did it cost (Data connection + roaming = Pain)

Advertisement