Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Important Apps On Your Android Phone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Not Necessarily. I was in France in July and used the Vodafone live apn (I have a 1gb data add on) for google maps and other stuff. I used about 75MB over 5 days and my bill shows no charge for this. Its all included in the package as long as I don't go over 50MB in a day.

Don't want to be an advert for vodafone but this is a great feature of the data add on.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    How much did it cost (Data connection + roaming = Pain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

tech2 wrote: »
    it'd be great if someone had enough time to create an app for the fantasy football. its a pain trying to change the team through a web browser.

Got an email back from their website support saying there is no plan for an iPhone app this season. I asked them for an iPhone and Android app. They also said to use the mobile site which in truth is utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

tech2 wrote: »
    Got an email back from their website support saying there is no plan for an iPhone app this season. I asked them for an iPhone and Android app. They also said to use the mobile site which in truth is utter rubbish.
    It has improved, though I would prefer an app too. I'd love if someone made this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The Kid wrote: »
    Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong! :P

I did try it and I liked it but I find the slide keyboards better. I'm currently using the paid version of SlideIT which although very good isn't as good as ShapeWriter, imo the best out there, not available anymore on the market though. Will buy it when it comes back.

My favourite apps as follows:

Launcher Pro - Great home app now that I've sorted out lag issues I had with it previously, won't be long before it's standard on phones tbh.

Twidroyd Pro - Good twitter app with many functions and integrated picture uploadability (made up word). Best alternative imo is Seesmic but just got sick of it.

Soccer Livescores - Essential for just checking scores of games especially if you like to do sports bets, for all other sports eg. golf I recommend SportsTap highly.

Tasker - Possibly the best selling point for Android now is this beauty, this alone makes the Desire a better phone than any iPhone IMO, you can customise just about anything with it, absolutely fantastic app and it costs pittance.

Opera Mini Browser - With the exception of HSDPA, mobile internet isn't that fast. While Dolphin HD is a great browser I feel this is the best for all scenario's, I like my website to load fast and I don't mind if that's at the expense of a small bit of quality.

Google Translate - Another HUGE selling point for Android is this fantastic app, having a Slovak girlfriend and travelling there 3 times a year at least makes this app indispensable and would pay any amount for it. It's FREE though!

SlideIT Pro - This gesture keyboard is afaik the only one available on the Market at the moment, although maybe not as good as it's rivals I still couldn't live without it and it was worth the $6.99 price tag.

Beautiful Widgets - Great purchase for someone who doesn't like Rosie and Sense and using Launcher Pro, great weather widgets and Power control widgets with a very handy Airplane mode switch. $1.99 is for nothing.

MixZing Player - Haven't decided on whether to buy the licence key for this yet as my phone is rooted and the Modaco ROM I have has AdFree, $6.99 basically buys you the lock screen widget, it's probably worth it but I'll bide my time.

Other honourable mentions include JuiceDefender(free) along with UltimateJuice(paid) for battery saving, Tasker makes this app a little redundant though. Advanced Task Killer Pro - was more useful on Android 1.5 - 2.1 but doesn't seem to have the same effect on 2.2. RockPlayer ARMv7 can watch perfect quality movies on the go for free.. great app!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

elderlemon wrote: »
    Not Necessarily. I was in France in July and used the Vodafone live apn (I have a 1gb data add on) for google maps and other stuff. I used about 75MB over 5 days and my bill shows no charge for this. Its all included in the package as long as I don't go over 50MB in a day.

Don't want to be an advert for vodafone but this is a great feature of the data add on.

Absolutely, I've the 2gb add on with Vodafone, got it free with the package I'm on.. Have had free internet in Slovakia last month and currently in Greece.

It's great not worrying about roaming charges for data and it's one thing that would keep me as a customer. Even though you don't get HSDPA when roaming :( you can't have it all I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

For me it's:

Launcher Pro
    Gtasks (widget is great)
    mAnalytics
    Penetrate (wifi app, I promise)
    Dropbox

Didn't bite on Logmein, way too pricey but hopefully teamviewer is out soon.

edit: Forgot swype too, really disliked not being able to use this when I was trying out different roms. Installed now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

The Kid wrote: »
    Without a doubt the best keyboard I've used on *any* phone is SwiftKey. It doesn't just guess the correct spelling like normal T9 - it guesses and suggests the next WORD you want to write!!! And it even updates it's word suggestions by keeping an eye on the sort of phrases you normally use. I'll soon have it speaking Mayo! :-)

Seriously, I hate texting on a phone keyboard (virtual or otherwise), but SwiftKey makes it all OK... It's in beta at the moment and is free to install from the market. I think the beta will expire next month and I suspect that they'll start charging for it then. If they do it'll be only the second app I've ever bought and I won't begrudge a penny of it...

And yes, I have used Swype. I'm actually on their beta list and have access to the official updates which aren't generally available. It's a cool keyboard too, but much and all as I like Swype, it doesn't come close to SwiftKey.

Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

I'll second that. Swiftkey is a fantastic piece of software. I tried other keyboards including swype et al and nothing else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I like the kindle app. Its handy no lugging books around if your on the train or a plane you can just take out your phone and read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

CompFix wrote: »
    For me it's:

Launcher Pro
    Gtasks (widget is great)
    mAnalytics
    Penetrate (wifi app, I promise)
    Dropbox

edit: Forgot swype too, really disliked not being able to use this when I was trying out different roms. Installed now though.

Just downloaded GTasks. Nice app. Currently using Astrid but think I'll change to this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

OI wrote: »
    Launcherpro ftw

by the way, can anyone tell me where to get swipe, I cant find it on the market.

swype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

CompFix wrote: »

Try Pocketcloud, best of the bunch IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

1) Barcode scanner
    2) Keyring (can store the barcode of my gym as I always lose it)
    3) Quick Settings - using widget Quick Battery
    4) Dropbox
    5) 3G watchdog
    6) weatherman Ireland - really accurate. Missing a widget though which would make it amazing
    7)wifi analyzer
    8) NoLED - perfect on my SGS with no LED notification light
    9) smooth calendar widget
    10) Prey phone tracker
    11) Evernote
    12) google maps w/ street view

These are just the ones I use most often.

Has anyone anything to say about 8pen? I've installed in and played around with it but I cant see it ever being faster than swype or even stock keyboards.

I've found myself reverting back to 3x4 stock samsung keyboard. It's pretty accurate with word prediction and buttons are huge to hard to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I got a HTC desire today and I'm already loving launcherpro, but I don't seem to be able to add apps to the screen anymore, like you can with sense, is this normal? Or do I have to get launcher-friendly apps? Also, does anyone know where I'd get a nice weather widget that'll work with launcher? Is there a different market to get launcher apps? I'm a complete Android noob, so sorry if everything I just said makes no sense ;)

Edit: I found out how to add apps, but am still at a loss on how to get widgets up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I tried Launcher Pro and even got the paid version but for some reason I found myself going back to the SGSs default TouchWiz UI. Can't put my finger on it. Just didn't suit me.

Here's a few good ones I've found:

1)Angry Birds - Single most addictive game on a mobile device. I do a little "Yes!" and victory fist clench on the train when I beat a hard level without realising it sometimes lol.

2)Next Train Ireland - For someone who uses the DART regularly this isn't an app it's divine providence in digital form.

3)GoChat Facebook - Very handy little app. Lets you sign into your Facebook chat and use it like an IM program. Nice interface too. Comes with a simple widget too.

4)Dolphin Browser HD - Thoroughly recommend this browser. Almost as featureful as a full size desktop browser! The HD version is for more high end phones I suppose. The basic Dolphin Browser is also very good.

5)TV Guide Ireland - Does what it sense on the tin and does it well.

6)Silent Toggle Widget - The best app is one that just does what it says and does it perfectly.

7)Cineworld - Since Cineworld parnell street is the only cinema I go to really this is very handy.

8)Tune In Radio - Battery killer but very slick interface and very handy. Tons of stations to choose from.

9)Terminal emulator - A Linux terminal on your phone? A computer geeks dream!

10)Tricorder - Trekkies listen up. It turns your phone into a f*&king Tricorder!!! It's not a gimic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

launcherpro question, if i set it as my default screen can i change it back at a later date to sense seomehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    launcherpro question, if i set it as my default screen can i change it back at a later date to sense seomehow?

Yep. Just clear the defaults for it in application settings, then when you press the home button youll be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

2)Next Train Ireland - For someone who uses the DART regularly this isn't an app it's divine providence in digital form.

Lol, that's one of the nicest things I've read about my app! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Nice to have:

Sky +
    Listen (podcasts)

Very Useful:

Ixmat Scanner (great for downloading apps etc)
    AppBrain Appmarket (managing app downloads)
    Convertpad (all sorts of conversions except religious:D
    Trapster
    Wi Fi Manager
    Eurosport

Dangerous:
    Paddy Power:eek:

Seasonal:
    GiftPony (for managing Xmas pressies list...;)
    Angry Birds seasons
    Advent Calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Torque is the most used app I have! Its an amazing app, You combined with a 20euro bluetooth dongle that you plug into your car. Using this you can get lot of data from the car, record trips, see what the fuel consumption and power output of the car is, and check fault codes that the car might put out if something isn't working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Used Daily

Astrid task manager - synced to www.producteev.com
    Jorte Calender - just prefer the interface
    Dolphin Browser
    AK Notepad - synced to www.catch.com - great for capturing notes
    Auto wifi toggle - wifi automatically available at home, or in wifi hotspots
    Gentle Alarm
    eWallet - had it on Blackberry, for passwords
    Hootsuite
    World Newspapers
    gReader - for keeping an eye on work related blogs
    Juice Defender
    Lookout
    NoLed Settings - to replace blackberry notification light

Used Couple of Times per week

Guardian Anywhere
    NYTimes App
    Podtrapper - had it on Blackberry, best podcast manager imo, transferred bb licence
    SpeedTest - interesting and surprised how fast 3g can be
    Wifinder
    Phone Usage - was afraid of overrunning data, not an issue
    DroidIn - keeps me updated with LinkedIn activity
    Android Kindle - can read my kindle books at lunch if if I have time to kill
    FM Radio - for listening via wifi when arial is not available
    Tapatalk - for reading a couple of tapatalk friendly forums
    Huffingtonpost

Used Infrequently

Time Mobile
    RTE News now
    Skype - just downloaded recently may replace Fring with SkypeOut
    Winamp - don't play music that much
    Google Reader - wondering if it will replace gReader
    Dropbox - seemed like a good idea but don't really use it

Some of the others that are standard, I hardly use at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is there an App that would let me talk to people on BBM (Blackberry Messenger)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Timmaay wrote: »
    Torque is the most used app I have! Its an amazing app, You combined with a 20euro bluetooth dongle that you plug into your car. Using this you can get lot of data from the car, record trips, see what the fuel consumption and power output of the car is, and check fault codes that the car might put out if something isn't working in it.

Torque sounds like the beans, any links for the Bluetooth dongle? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is there an App that would let me talk to people on BBM (Blackberry Messenger)
    Does Whatsapp do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Does Whatsapp do this?

Dunno, just downloading it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Donal_g

Try
    Tunein Radio - lots of radio stations worldwide - even local irish ones.
    ESPN - great sports app - website from it is fantastic
    Opera mini - very fast browser on my hero
    My Tracks - Great GPS logging and display app

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Torque sounds like the beans, any links for the Bluetooth dongle? Cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUETOOTH-ODBII-INTERFACE-SCANTOOL-Diagnostic-OBD-2-II-/180473451900?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a050e557c#ht_3495wt_905

I've heard that the cheap knock off dongles can be a bit hit or miss though, but at that price against 100euros for a proper one, its your choice.

Also, not ever car has an OBD port, but all 2001 up petrol cars, and 2004 up diesel have to have the port, so will work! A lot of older hondas work also, and some fords and volvo petrols. Most commercial vehicles newer then 2008 will work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I only name ones I haven't seen mentioned already but I use daily...

Smart call widget... Auto speed dial widget showing your 6 most dialled numbers.
    SMS Backup +... syncs you SMS messages and call logs with Gmail.
    Extended Controls... Customisable control & settings widgets. (PAID!)
    Phone Silencer... Never forget to switch your ringer back on again!
    Teamviewer... remote access to your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Btwndeyes wrote: »

Why would you change from Sense? It's so pretty. Had a non-Android HTC phone not too long ago and Sense was the best thing about it.
    smackyB wrote: »
    Lol, that's one of the nicest things I've read about my app! :D

It's your app?! *grovels in supplication* Well done with the UI. The old one was grand but the new makes it look like an official Iarnrod Eireann app lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Why would you change from Sense? It's so pretty. Had a non-Android HTC phone not too long ago and Sense was the best thing about it.

i like the functionality of launcherpro, the bar on the bottom is so handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I perfect the look of launcher pro, I don't like the black tab at the bottom of the screen in sense (being honest I find it quite ugly), plus you can set the buttons at the bottom of the screen to do the same as sense. I don't really see the huge benefits of it, unless I'm forgetting something about it?

I'm not having a go at you for liking sense BTW in case it comes across that way ;)

Advertisement