Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recomendations welcome

• 04-08-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

First time in the cycling forumhere and wouldn't you know it I'm after some advise :D.

I am looking to get myself an entry level road bike. Yeno just something to spin around on at the weekends and maybe the odd Tri from time to time. Nothing too serious. The thing is tho I know Jack all about bikes.

1) What is the difference between a road bike and Tri bike? Is it just the tri bars on the front?
    2)Is this an ok entry level bike? It is a beauty! But is it any good?http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31155
    3) anyone got any recomendations to get started?

Thanks for the input ladies and gentlemen.

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A dedicated tri bike is very different from a road bike. Most of them are basically TT (time trial) bikes athough there are some that are tri-specific. It is not just the bars at the front, the geometry of the bike will be different with a steeper-angled seat tube and the front end will facilitate a lower handlebar position. The bars at the front are also very different with different shifters and brakes optimised for use on the aero bars. If you are getting something primarily for cycling around and only the "odd tri" then you certainly want a road bike. In fact I would say even if your main focus is tri if you can only have one bike still make it a road bike. A tri bike is unrideable in groups and not as flexible as a road bike for general cycling, training, or longer distances.

That Giant Defy is a grand bike for the money. You wouldn't get a tri/TT bike for that anyway, they tend to be expensive.

For the triathlons get a (relatively) cheap pair of clip-on bars and you are half-way to the benefits of a tri bike anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I think the Giant is a great starter bike, like you I had no clue and went into a shop and described what I wanted to do and it sounds as though we are pretty similar. I got the Giant Defy 2 and am well pleased with it, I do a bit more than what you are intending doing with a 3 day a week 30k commute but I would say go for it, it is a good bike for what you are looking for in my opinion.

Advertisement