Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric shower fish smell

Options
  • 04-08-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

lately after using electric shower in ensuite a strong fishy smell is evident in bedroom. it does not seem to be coming from the drains??? it had happened once or twice last year but now happens after every shower .
    can anyone help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

I had this happen on an old light fitting, it was the insulation breaking down, I'd not ignore it if I were you, just in case it is a similar situation, no doubt one of the other lads will be along to shed some light.
    It looked to me like a loose connection started the problem, and it was in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

opened up shower casing there no smell. however the on/off switch located in bedroom was very warm and i believe it may also be source of smell???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

km79 wrote: »
    lately after using electric shower in ensuite a strong fishy smell is evident in bedroom. it does not seem to be coming from the drains??? it had happened once or twice last year but now happens after every shower .
    can anyone help me
    You could have a loose connection within the shower, causing arcing and heat, this will often cause a pungent odour. Get someone that knows what they're doing to check it out, these things run serious current and are potentialy lethal.

The loose connection could be in the switch either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

switch trouble anyhow .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

can anyone help me

Would any plastic parts be in contact with heat element ??

I remember a foul smell from a table lamp..when the shade holder being a little too large and was near the bulb for a period..it stank foul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's almost definitely a switch. Irish/British electrical fittings are still usually made from a urea formaldehyde resin rather than a modern plastic. It's rather similar to old-fashioned bakalite. When it's exposed to extreme temperature it smells like fish.

The shower unit itself is highly unlikely to have this old-fashioned material in it. The only thing that is likely to have is the switch.

You either have a loose connection or an underrated switch.

Have you had a new shower installed?

thanks for replies. no have not had new shower fitted . house is four yrs old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

thanks for replies. no have not had new shower fitted . house is four yrs old

Switch burning is the usual cause of that smell, burning bakelite, in bathroom probably the pull chord switch, or a good possibility is the ceiling light fitting burning.

its definitely from the switch. there is still a faint odour from it. getting a sparky in to have a look. thanks for replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

its definitely from the switch. there is still a faint odour from it. getting a sparky in to have a look. thanks for replies

New switch so, probably either the switch contacts not great or connections not tight. Sometimes the wire into the switch terminals will show signs of overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Markrobertmcg

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Switch burning is the usual cause of that smell, burning bakelite, in bathroom probably the pull chord switch, or a good possibility is the ceiling light fitting burning.

I found this problem too in a couple of houses over the years. The smell is definitely bakelite burning due to a loose electrical connection. Spot on Robbie

Advertisement