Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Extender 3 homeplugs and DGN2000 Router advice needed.

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ok this has me absolutely stumped. What I am/was trying to achive did'nt seem difficult in my head should of known better.

So I'll start.
    The hallway has the Adsl Router a Netgear DGN2000 attached to this is 1 homeplug.
    The sitting room has the following, a sat box xbox and Home Theatre PC.
    The home plug goes to a unmanaged switch which splits the signal to all these devices.
    So far so good.
    The bedroom has the xbox extender now this is where the problems start. 1 homeplug here which is plugged into the xbox.

Now I can get it to see the HTPC and configure fine but this was after allot of messing about and unplugging cables routers etc. So unplug the one in the hall then plug in back in, plug in the bedroom one plug in downstairs one. It then connects and sets up fine. But once I reboot HTPC it cannot see it anymore. I check router and can see devices attached.

I just tested with a wireless g xbox adapter and it works ableit a bit stuttery. Rebooted it plenty of times and it was fine.

So my thinking is the homeplug in the bedroom has decided to connect directly to the pc's homeplug through the switch as the xbox will not work without a gateway well from my read it gives this exact error. Do you think this is what is happening.

Now I have noticed you can settup static routes on the DGN2000 but not sure if this would even work.
    Any advice would really be greatly appreciate if I play around with this anymore the wife will kill meoops.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

It sounds like the Homeplugs are competing with each other. My understanding is that homeplugs are normally sold in pairs and one of the pair becomes the "master". If you add additional homeplugs, they may need to be reconfigured to join the existing pair and not try to create a competing "master".

I would search for solutions to having more than 2 homeplugs for whatever brand/model homeplug you have.

I'm looking to do something similar myself, just need to get some more comtrend powerline adapters!

Advertisement