Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI or Cat5e or Cat6, head about to explode

• 04-08-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Please looking for help,

I know that this topic is discussed and discussed but i will tell ye my problem. All i want in my living room is my TV on the chimney. Dont want any DVD or SKY Boxes in the room. I have rang good quality co axial cable, and speaker cable back to my comms room where all these boxes will be. the problem is that some of the cable runs are 30m long. I want to put in a cable for HDMI but what do i pull in. the longest cable run for the HDMI will be 40m. I havent a clue and am looking for some advice on what would my best options be. at the end of the day i want a savage picture and good sound. At present there are 2 co axial cables and 2 CAT 5 cables at my TV point. Any advice would be a grat help. I am also trying to hide my PS3, so if ye have any ideas on that it would be great.

Thanking ye in advance,

Many Thanks,

Oldhead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

The Attenuation problem with HDMI starts to kick in with a vengeance once you go over 15 meters , a 40 meter cable is just not going to work.

You will have to use HDMI baluns and Cat5 ... these will take the signal from the source or sources , switch to a single ended signal format suitable for cat 5 and then change back at the TV end.
    You need two Cat 5 cables and these run from one balun to the other. They cant be part of any network. The cables must run from Balun to Balun only.

Obviously Baluns come in pairs and they need to be powered. One of these needs to be at the sources wherever you have them ,and one needs to be at the TV end and will need a power point.

To run more than one source over this connection , your going to need a switch. If you have an AV receiver this will handle switching duties and your pretty much sorted.
    If not you'll need to buy a switch , and you'll need a reliable one as not all switches are created equal.

There's a list of suppliers on here in the first post, these guys are good , and have no quibble returns policies for anything you buy off them.
    Highly recommended.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/831330-hdmi-cables-just-facts.html

You can post in this forum to talk to them.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/

Advertisement