Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scoil Éigse - Traditional Irish Music Summer School - late fees wiaived

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone have any experience of having attended this or sent their kids or know kids who went to it ? It seems to be a more focused summer school than most. Also they have wiaived the late registration fee.

From the Comhaltas website it states that tuition, is provided by highly experienced teachers, in the following appropriately-graded classes: Fiddle, Flute, Button Accordion, Harp, Uilleann Pipes, Concertina, Whistle, Piano Accordion,Banjo, Piano-Accompaniment, Amhránaíocht, Traditional Singing, Comhrá Gaeilge, Céilí/Set-Dancing. New classes: Sean-nós dancing & Adult music class (mixed-instrument)

I am hoping to travel to Cavan to visit some friends for the week of the Fleadh (August 16th-22nd) and was thinking that this might be of interest to my kids (ages 10 & 12) who are good but not brillant at music.

Any comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Scoil eigse is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it. A week of being fully immersed in music all day does wonders for your playing. It's also a great opportunity for making friends. I attended it for years as a teenager and some of my best friends are people I met at the workshops. It's not suitable for beginners though so it really is up to you to know what standard your children are at. They cater for all levels excluding beginner however. :) They grade the classes so your children will be challenged and kept interested but shouldn't feel overwhelmed by the pace the class is moving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Thanks - my kids are more the beginners - it sounds like a very well run and organised summer school operation - I am very cautious of summer camps etc this year as it seems everyone is running something and many of them are nothing more than a money making exercise. Think I will enrol them - the fact that there is no late fee this year and also that there is a reduction for a second child makes it very attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Millymac

Just checked it out information and looks very good. Their programme has a good mix to keep the concentration levels up!

• Class Tuition: Monday 9.15am-3.30pm Tuesday-Friday 10-3pm (lunch 12.30-2pm)
    • Lectures
    • Workshops on slow-air playing
    • Afternoon Recitals: Monday-Wednesday 3.15-4.30pm (Town Hall)
    • Club Éigse (preceded by Foinn Seisiún): Monday–Thursday 7.45-10pm
    • Friday Morning Closing Concert: 10.15-1pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CavanTrad

Seems like the Scoile workshops are all close together St Patricks, Cavan College (new building) and the Tech/Vocational School.

Advertisement