Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me get my keys back....

• 04-08-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Had no idea where to put this thread but I figured this was where I would find the most practically minded people.

A while ago I dropped my Vespa keys into the shore of a power wash. (Do't ask how I managed, if you knew me it wouldn't surprise you.) Giving up on this set would involve new ignition etc for my bike which is a road I don't want to go down so I wish to retrieve said keys but there are a number of problems.
    • The grid of the shore is welded at one end so I can only bend it up not remove it completely.
    • The shore is around 6 feet deep (not 6 inches as I hoped it might be.)
    • It's full of water
    • The water is black so I cant see anything
    • I'm guessing there could be anything up to a few feet of silt or even heavy mud sitting at the bottom of it. Maybe not but probably.
    The two ideas I have are
    1 Dredge the bottom with a one of those long nets for landing fish or
    2 Try and fish them out with a magnet.

Which of the above would be wisest or would you suggest something else? If a magnet where would I get one strong enough that isn't electrical as I need it to go into water?

Thanking you in advance.

P.S. The shore/pit drains through an over flow system(like the yoke on the top of a bath or sink) not through a drain so they should be still there as when I rang the supplier of the car wash he said the shores are rarely emptied.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would try a magnet.... Grand big ones in the backs of old speakers if you can find one...

Just thinking... would the magnet ruin the code in the key>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

I would try a magnet.... Grand big ones in the backs of old speakers if you can find one...

Just thinking... would the magnet ruin the code in the key>>>

I don't know. Do you reckon a moped key would have a code? A part of me is telling me that the guy in the shop was telling me I could just get a new one cut(before he knew I lost the spare set) and there was no code. Might be wrong though.

Someone else mentioned to me about the ones from the back of speakers alright. Would they be strong enough? I'd class it as a small fist of keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Magnet or 3 tonne digger with rock breaker.

Option a is the cheapest :D

I dont think the magnet will harm the code, it doesnt harm credit cards as people think.. what do you have to lose, you dont have many other options :/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

You can get a small but very powerfull magnet on a stick in an engineering/tool shop, extend it with some builders orange string if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Magnet is good if the keys aren't made of brass or some alloy which isn't magnetic, another very good magnet is the type used in HDD's very small and powerful.

A pickup tool can be really handy (up to about 3 ft depth)

ullman-m16-flexible-spring-claw-pickup-tool-1643-p%5Bekm%5D497x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Press the handle at the top and 3-4 little jaws open at that bottom to grab stuff, and the shaft is flexible (Try Maplin or a big tool shop)

Or I've seen a weighted treble fishing hook on the end of some line used down a road drain to get keys back.

Simplest of all is a bent coat hanger if it will reach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you find where the overflow system comes out, put a sieve or net or something over that and use the power washer to blast out the water in the drain, clearing out the keys into your net/sieve?
    Is it really six feet deep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Could a Vespa supplier not order a new key for you from the manufacturer if he sees the VIN number of the bike and documents proving ownership etc? Otherwise you could try a rare earth magnet, even a smallish one will have a strong pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

I would think you will find that the company has a responsibility to get them back for you and if not they maybe libel to pay for it to be replaced.

A lot of companies will just say its nothing to do with them but if pushed I think you will find they should have mesh over the grid

Thats if all fails

spurious wrote: »
    Can you find where the overflow system comes out, put a sieve or net or something over that and use the power washer to blast out the water in the drain, clearing out the keys into your net/sieve?
    Is it really six feet deep?

Unfortunately yes it is that deep. So the supplier says, as does the barman in my local who said he dug one for a place in Laois once. I stuck the power hose in through the grid to test the depth and it met no obstruction. The power hose is about 4ft.

Could a Vespa supplier not order a new key for you from the manufacturer if he sees the VIN number of the bike and documents proving ownership etc? Otherwise you could try a rare earth magnet, even a smallish one will have a strong pull.

I'm sure they could but it you can be sure it would be ridiculously over priced. Also the guy in Bikeworld got all flustered and seemed to think I would need to get a whole new ignition if I didn't have the original. I would have thought you could just use a code/number.

• Advertisement

Thank you everybody for your contributions. Looks like a magnet is the way to go.

A bit of Googling uncovered this bad boy. I think I'll order one as it will save me taking a hammer to my stereo and I can be sure of the strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isiBqmELwhw

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

remwhite wrote: »
    a road I don't want to go down

Looks like you wont be going down any roads any time soon....... SORRY - I COULDN'T RESIST!!!!!!!:o

best of luck getting the keys back though!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

€35 for one of those magnets ???? A cheaper option would be to get a set of cable rods, fit the hook on the end and go fishing for them. http://cgi.ebay.ie/CABLE-ACCESS-KIT-TOOLBOX-ELECTRICIANS-PULLER-RODS-WIRES-/350270215880?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item518dbb56c8

chuchyface wrote: »
    €35 for one of those magnets ???? A cheaper option would be to get a set of cable rods, fit the hook on the end and go fishing for them. http://cgi.ebay.ie/CABLE-ACCESS-KIT-TOOLBOX-ELECTRICIANS-PULLER-RODS-WIRES-/350270215880?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item518dbb56c8

I got it for €25. I'd rather use the magnet as I'm pretty sure I'll get it quite promptly rather than try and poke around in the dark for it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I got it for €25. I'd rather use the magnet as I'm pretty sure I'll get it quite promptly rather than try and poke around in the dark for it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

We eagerly await your results, can we have pictures.

If it all works out then you should leave your number with the garage and offer a key recovery service ;)

ttm wrote: »
    We eagerly await your results, can we have pictures.

If it all works out then you should leave your number with the garage and offer a key recovery service ;)

Y'know I would only I'm pretty sure there'd be no business in it as I doubt anyone else could drop them in there as birdbrained a manner as I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

write it all down, just in case there is ever a screenwriters strike again, this is comedy. its gas, I know its a pain in the ar$e, but I'd get much better out of curiosity is there a steering lock on the vespa, because I'm pretty sure you can Jimmy start it with by crossing the poles on the starter motor. That aside, you should definitley be able to get a second key for it, matey at the shop is taking the pi$$ cos you seem kinda clueless, second key 25 euro, replacing ignition 150 euro wasting a day or two finding magnets to get a set of keys that are buried in a six foot deep cesspit on the advice of an internet forum....priceless.
    Actually, make a youtube video of the fellowship of the vespa key, it sounds like a similar 4 hour trek, worst case scenario when the magnet fails and you end up getting into a tank full of cold water and washed off dog pi$$ to try and feel it with your feet, it will go viral. I really feel for ya, its the height of misfortune, but I'd be a little more firm with my vespa dealer, or try a leaf rake before I went spending any money on hi tech magnets, because they might not be able to get down through the muck in the bottom of that thing
    Anyway, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, don't lose sight of the funny side of this, send pictures and video and best of luck.
    if the leaf rake doesn't work, use a crowbar to break the weld, a submersible pump to empty the pit, and a shovel to find your keys.
    Be strong:eek:

write it all down, just in case there is ever a screenwriters strike again, this is comedy. its gas, I know its a pain in the ar$e, but I'd get much better out of curiosity is there a steering lock on the vespa, because I'm pretty sure you can Jimmy start it with by crossing the poles on the starter motor. That aside, you should definitley be able to get a second key for it, matey at the shop is taking the pi$$ cos you seem kinda clueless, second key 25 euro, replacing ignition 150 euro wasting a day or two finding magnets to get a set of keys that are buried in a six foot deep cesspit on the advice of an internet forum....priceless.
    Actually, make a youtube video of the fellowship of the vespa key, it sounds like a similar 4 hour trek, worst case scenario when the magnet fails and you end up getting into a tank full of cold water and washed off dog pi$$ to try and feel it with your feet, it will go viral. I really feel for ya, its the height of misfortune, but I'd be a little more firm with my vespa dealer, or try a leaf rake before I went spending any money on hi tech magnets, because they might not be able to get down through the muck in the bottom of that thing
    Anyway, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, don't lose sight of the funny side of this, send pictures and video and best of luck.
    if the leaf rake doesn't work, use a crowbar to break the weld, a submersible pump to empty the pit, and a shovel to find your keys.
    Be strong:eek:

Now smart arse! :cool:

125340.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Yeheee, I love a story with a happy ending.

You can shove your ET, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption; nothing beats the 'real thing'. It even makes one forget the recession, just for that briefest of moments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Now smart arse! :cool:

125340.jpg

Its impossible to thank this enough and the smart comment that followed before.... Well done....Dont go selling the vespa now...its one for the grandkids.

• Advertisement

youtheman wrote: »
    Yeheee, I love a story with a happy ending.

You can shove your ET, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption; nothing beats the 'real thing'. It even makes one forget the recession, just for that briefest of moments

Why thank you.... I'm in talks with paramount.

Its impossible to thank this enough and the smart comment that followed before.... Well done....Dont go selling the vespa now...its one for the grandkids.

Cheers! I'll never sell it! Can't ever see a time where the value of the bike will outweigh the convenience of it. When I took it out for a spin(for the first time in SIX MONTHS) it was like Herbie Rides Again or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 duncans

i have followed this thread with interest, it was my 'Eastenders'. Was it the magnet that worked in the end?

duncans wrote: »
    i have followed this thread with interest, it was my 'Eastenders'. Was it the magnet that worked in the end?

Yes and no. The magnet is seriously strong and was pulling up all sorts of coins(only coppers dammit). But after a few minutes of trawling one section of the grid came loose so I went home and got a garden rake and started to rake out load after load of the NASTIEST, SMELLIEST, GREASIEST, MOST HORRIBLE sludge from the bottom of the pit. It was basically made up of car muck and oil and fuel but mostly rotting leaves... The hum off it was unreal. My keys still smell in spite of my leaving them in boiling water and flash over night.

Anyway after 7 or 8(maybe more) loads the little black V shaped head of the Vespa eye caught my eye amidst the muck on my rake. JOY!

I remembered I had a rugby match that night so I looked up the results to see just how long the keys were down there and my bike was lying idol. 12/03/2010. 165 days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great result, great story!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Hahahahahahahaha rofl! Only thing I'm wondering is why did it take you 165 days to get around to getting your keys? Seems like you could have done it in a couple of days if the only real delays were coming up with a plan and sourcing a magnet!

Hahahahahahahaha rofl! Only thing I'm wondering is why did it take you 165 days to get around to getting your keys? Seems like you could have done it in a couple of days if the only real delays were coming up with a plan and sourcing a magnet!

Fair point.

I moved home to Laois at Christmas and had left the bike at my Sister's as it was more use to me in Dublin than it was in Laois as I was up weekly for rugby. I was up to play a match when it happened. Subsequently I did a course down in Cork and was down there for 3 months so never had a chance really.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Oh dear.....well I'm glad it's all worked out for you and you and your Vespa are back together!! Good work!

Advertisement