Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Routes near Aix en Provence (and Mont Ventoux)

• 04-08-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Going to be in Aix en Provence (near Marseille) for a week starting this Saturday. Anyone have any experience of cycling in this region and have any routes they would recommend?

Very keen on climbing Mont Ventoux of course. Anyone know a good starting point? Maybe one that includes a decent ride to the base of the climb too. Somwhere my girlfriend could maybe while away a few hours while she waits for me to get it out of my system :)

Any route tips or reminiscences of previous trips would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

We set off from Faucon and went through the vinyards (take right at the crossroads to turn off the main road, not up to the village, the other way) that got us to Entrechaux, and on to Malaucéne, then on to Bédoin after about 30/40k (I can't really remember exactly, but enough to move the legs).

Also, if you're in the mood for doing something other than Ventoux, I realy enjoyed Gorges de al Nesque. Approach it from the Sault direction and then follow the map this guy has (http://www.tourclimbs.com/la-ventoux-grand-trophee/). It was really spectacular with tunnels and road clinging to the gorge face. About 19k of descending at 2-3%, lovely.

Have fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

You are really spoiled for choice there. I stayed in a place near there a few years ago for a wedding, but unfortunately didn't have my bike with me.

Did a lot of driving around the region, you can really get great spins in every direction esp North West from Aix, empty roads good surface, If you can get up as far as the Valensole platueau there are some great views and great hilly twisty roads.

There are some great roads in around Apt as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Stayed in Faucon as well, good base for the area. We took a short cut to Bedoin so about 25k to loosen the legs, 21k up and back to Malaucéne. Probably the best place of the 3 for the girlfriend would be Malaucéne, they'd a market one of the days and there are a few cafes to while away the time. Otherwise probably Avignon if you want somewhere a bit livelier.
    The traditional tour route is from Bedoin, but you can go from Malaucéne as well and there's a 3rd way up from Sault as well. The local challenge is to do all 3 in one day!
    Depending on your mood at the top, head for Malaucéne and another 21k or back to Bedoin if you want some extra miles. Road to Malaucéne is better for descending.
    Roads are generally good so you've plenty spins to mix things up a bit. I stayed at Veloventoux in Faucon and they'd loads of routes around without ever going near Ventoux.
    Enjoy anyway, lovely part of the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I had a crack at Ventoux last year, as per:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62335970&postcount=15

Brilliant stuff, just need to lop 3 minutes off next time to get under the 2 hour mark for the main mountain itself.

Don't do what I did and forget to eat!

Route here from Sault:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/138145

Edit: Oh yeah, my missus had to while away the hours too as I puffed my way up the cols. Sault is pretty boring though, as I was informed in no uncertain terms afterwards.

oflahero wrote: »
    I had a crack at Ventoux last year, as per:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62335970&postcount=15

Brilliant stuff, just need to lop 3 minutes off next time to get under the 2 hour mark for the main mountain itself.

Don't do what I did and forget to eat!

Route here from Sault:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/138145

Edit: Oh yeah, my missus had to while away the hours too as I puffed my way up the cols. Sault is pretty boring though, as I was informed in no uncertain terms afterwards.
    To be honest, Bedoin and Malaucéne weren't too exciting either
    Most super fun thing for her is to drive ahead and give you snacks/water instead of you carrying it, take photos and just enjoy being part of your adventure :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I stumbled on what must be one of the great rides in the world!
    We stayed in Sault (south of Mont Ventoux). It is on a hill overlooking lavender fields with a good view of the Mont.
    The first part of the trip is across the lavender fields to the foot of the climb. These are quite spectacular in themselves.
    The second part is the climb. Admittedly, this is not the classic route and is less steep, but you still get in the 'moonscape' section at the top.
    The third part is down from the summit (by either of the other two routes) and cross-country to the Gorges de la Nesque.
    The gorgue has been described as 'the Grand Canyon of Europe' and is memorable. It brings you right back to Sault. (we stayed in a lovely small hotel in Sault).
    I would recommend this trip to anyone in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

Thanks a million guys. Loads of great suggestions. Will have to have a good look at the map and see how many of them I can fit in. Gorges de la Nesque sounds particularly good.
    Most super fun thing for her is to drive ahead and give you snacks/water instead of you carrying it, take photos and just enjoy being part of your adventure :)

Pat: This is a fantastic idea. I will show her your post. She's sure to agree. :D With a bit of luck a six day fully supported tour of Provence could be on the cards...

Failing that, anyone know of a good/reasonable bike rental place nearby so my girlfriend could come along? Those lavender fields sound like a good way to start my sales pitch.

Stop the press, all sorted for you both here
    They have a tandem for €50 per day

TandemCiocc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

Brilliant! I'll see what she says :) Although that thing has got to be scary as hell coming down off Ventoux.

Advertisement