Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy - Minimum Bedroom Sizes

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

**Sorry if there are some threads already asking this question**

Heya - any help would be greatly appreciated on this.

Are there any minimum sizes for bedrooms in rented accommodation? Private houses - not apartments and not social housing.

I have been looking through the new Building Regs, the 2004 Act and the 1993 Building Regs and there seems to be no mention of it.

I think I saw that there is a code of practice from the Dept of the Environment that single rooms need to be a min of 6.5m squared and doubles need to be a min of 10.2m squared. I don't know where I saw these figures and if they do exist whether they have any legal force??

Could anyone clarify this? Thanks a mill in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

:rolleyes:
    They have no legal force whatsoever, the only laws that apply is that there must be a window (which technically can be circumvented by putting a window opening into another room!!) and sufficient ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

People can get away with this:

daft.ie - Kenilworth Square "Flat" To Let

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

OMG why dont we have better laws regarding rented accommodation it is truly shocking what LL's get away with :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

edellc wrote: »
    OMG why dont we have better laws regarding rented accommodation it is truly shocking what LL's get away with :eek:
    It's even more shocking what the builders got away with in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

when you go to a restaurant is there a minimum size of dinner you get?
    and what did builders get away with? Surely its the architects and planners who drew and passed the project are to blame? In fact is it not the planning authoritys who are to blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

LittleBook wrote: »
    People can get away with this:

daft.ie - Kenilworth Square "Flat" To Let

My bedroom is probably bigger than that box whole apartment/flat/bed sit! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I would laugh except that I did once live somewhere not unlike that. At least my plasterboard walls reached the ceiling and in fairness I did have a long corridor like living room which would have just about fitted a 3 seater couch only you wouldn't have been able to get past. That house had hallways converted into flats. 12 units in one 3 storey house - one of the biggest messes of a house I've ever seen.

Bit pointless really, the little space there is, is ruined by the mock bedroom. The twit who did this would be better off tearing it down and putting in a high sleeper or futon. At least the unfortunate tenant would actually have a chance to move around.

I was actually going to post that one thing I find really annoying is how over the last decades what was once known as a "flat" has suddenly become an "apartment" and what is really a studio is sometimes sold as a "1 bedroom apartment".

The new law banning bed****s is mockery when you consider abuses like this.

Advertisement