Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Podcasts

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

Any tips for good history podcasts?

I use a lot of the itunes podcasts already

Dan Carlin's
    History of Rome
    History Network
    Ancient Warfare
    BBC History
    and some others

anyone have some that might be under the radar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/talking-history/ The obvious one for Ireland would be the Talking History show from Newstalk, podcasts available from the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Talking History can be quite good sometimes, Geoghegan is a real character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Hey folks, :)

I've listened to that Newstalk podcast a few times, I find although the contributors are informed about the topic but the fact that its a discussion based rather than a lecture model many things can get left out. In Dan Carlin's podcast he did over 5 hours on the eastern front in WWII. He talked about battles and stories I'd never heard about.

I'm more interested in the battles and warfare from history as well as Generals and commanders from these battles. There are many about Caesar and Napoleon but I can't find many good ones on Alexander The Great or Sun Tzu.

Any tips?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd highly recommend the podcasts from the Uni. of Berkeley. Especially that of David Wetzel.
    History 162A, 001 - Europe and the World: Wars, Empires, Nations 1648-1914
    He has a distinct passion for his topic that comes across to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any tips for good history podcasts?

I use a lot of the itunes podcasts already

Dan Carlin's

The Hardcore History podcasts from Dan Carlin are the best out there! Love them

Another decent one is TPN Napolean, you'd find it in itunes with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I'm listening the the History 7b lectures from University of Berkeley:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978276

They really help to understand what's going in the the US right now - the Tea Party, blue collar workers voting against healthcare... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Perhaps it is part of the BBC history ones mentioned above but I came across the Mai Lai tapes as they related to a book recently, They are a compelling 2 part item link here: http://www.thechangingworld.org/archives/2008/wk18.php

Well worth listening to.

Advertisement