Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choux not rising?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Any ideas why? Tastes lovely though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Your oven's probably not hot enough. Post the recipe and method you're using. Choux paste should be piped while warm, and put into a hot oven, at least 200c.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would agree. The oven should be hot when you put it in. And do not open it while baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I used Rachel Allen's recipe, seemed fairly standard. But they just won't rise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Her profieroles recipe is here. Just using water for choux paste makes the baked goods very "craggy," it's better to use 50:50 water:whole milk, as it will make the baked goods more tender and flavourful.

Make sure your oven is @ 220c, with a fan-convection oven this should take 20 mins to pre-heat. It's worthwhile investing in a small oven thermometer to ensure consisency.

Here's another recipe:

Choux Paste

150g water
    150g whole milk
    1 tsp sugar
    3/4 tsp salt
    130g butter
    170g plain flour
    6 (300g) eggs, large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would go with oven too. And don't be tempted to open it too early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

most likely the oven. do they rise during baking and collapse afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they rise and then collapse, make a small hole in them the minute they come out of the oven to let out the steam you can use this hole then to pipe in the cream.

Advertisement