Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google kills Wave

• 05-08-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html
    Wave has not seen the user adoption we would have liked. We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects. The central parts of the code, as well as the protocols that have driven many of Wave’s innovations, like drag-and-drop and character-by-character live typing, are already available as open source, so customers and partners can continue the innovation we began.

It was a great demo, but I used it maybe 3 times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I like all things tech, but I used Wave 3 times, couldnt see the point of it at all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Spent weeks looking for an invite, used it for 5 minutes and never touched it again.
    Wont be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still dont eveen understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

In theory it was a good product but there was nothing in it that was really ground breaking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

what was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

dnme wrote: »
    what was it?

A triumph of hype over content. Everybody wanted a hard to get invite, then discovered that it was an empty vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

dnme wrote: »
    what was it?

I have used it a few times, but I'm still not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah i got an invite and couldn't figure what i was supposed to actually use it for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Logged into it recently and it was a lot more beefed up, with loads more widgets and functionality. Still though, none of my friends were online so it's not as if I could use it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It was a glorified IM service that we really didn't need. We already have email/IM/phones we don't want this amazing "ZOMG IT HAPPENS IN REAL TIME" sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

chin_grin wrote: »
    It was a glorified IM service that we really didn't need. We already have email/IM/phones we don't want this amazing "ZOMG IT HAPPENS IN REAL TIME" sh*t.

I think you will find it was a lot more than that actually! Unfortunately it was used in a lot of companies, especially graphic design.. then again using a free app like that is asking for trouble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

corkcomp wrote: »
    I think you will find it was a lot more than that actually! Unfortunately it was used in a lot of companies, especially graphic design.. then again using a free app like that is asking for trouble..

Elaborate, please.

I know that it enabled the user to send messages/pictures/mails/collaborate and edit these in real time. How is that not a "glorified Instant Messaging service"?

In hindsight I was looking forward to this new communicative revolution. But giving that the technology already exists. Email and phone that is. I mean who sits over their emails all day hitting refresh? And if you wanted someone to talk to right away, why not call?

It was neither marketed or utilized to it's fullest ability, and I guess that's why it failed.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Elaborate, please.

I know that it enabled the user to send messages/pictures/mails/collaborate and edit these in real time. How is that not a "glorified Instant Messaging service"?

In hindsight I was looking forward to this new communicative revolution. But giving that the technology already exists. Email and phone that is. I mean who sits over their emails all day hitting refresh? And if you wanted someone to talk to right away, why not call?

It was neither marketed or utilized to it's fullest ability, and I guess that's why it failed.

instant messaging is a lot different to on the fly real time collaboration space.. if you have a large group of people working on shared info then its not practicle to have people calling each other every second so it was useful for this..

agreed, it was not marketed at all from what i've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A group of 6 of us in various offices used it extensively for a couple of months while working on documents together. It is actually brilliant for that kind of business collaboration but kinda useless for everyday use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It was premature. They should have slowly introduced it into gmail and get users to transition. It was bound to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Ludo wrote: »
    A group of 6 of us in various offices used it extensively for a couple of months while working on documents together. It is actually brilliant for that kind of business collaboration but kinda useless for everyday use.

I would liked to have used it for work, it would have really made things easier for me, but you really need to ease people into something like that - some have only just got used to conversing via email, and still double click everything on the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I used it once and liked it. Problem was trying to persuade my friends and work colleagues to use it. Most weren't remotely interested and no one was really that bothered.

If it was launched before IM and social networks penetrated the masses I think it would would've become as ubiquitous as email. Average joe is settled and happy with email, facebook and msn, trying to break that now will take some doing.

its never going to compete with social networking but I dont think that was the main aim either.. the problem is that most companies wont jump into using free public apps / sites for collaboration / communication and rightly so too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

corkcomp wrote: »
    its never going to compete with social networking but I dont think that was the main aim either.. the problem is that most companies wont jump into using free public apps / sites for collaboration / communication and rightly so too

Actually it could be hosted on a private server, much like email but with even more security features. It's not just an cloud app, but an open protocol which anyone can implement their own client app.

http://www.waveprotocol.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement