Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testing Equipment...

• 05-08-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

From talking in another thread, I decided to throw this up here:

Aside from AEG's, GBB's etc, we tend to buy a lot of gear...all manner of accessories. But I was just wondering if many of you test that equipment, and if so, how?

(Examples of gear)
    - Slings
    - Scopes
    - Dot Sights
    - Lens Protectors etc
    - Eye Protection

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Eye protection is the only thing I would really go out to test from the start as that is a piece of safety equipment but I've been happy with my guarder c4 and ess goggles for a long time

anything else is really tested in the field as they say, but as with everything you get what you pay for in terms of quality and a lot of 'clone' items there lifespan is considerably shorter, slings are the classic item I've lost count of the number of times i've seen some one put a 10euro sling on a 400euro aeg and wonder why it breaks and there aeg is know broken on the floor. Same goes with bdus , seen so many sets split or rip , and when you ask where they got them from they turn out to be 30usd specials from eBay.

Depending on how you play airsoft and wear. You can put your gear thought a lot , it's nothing about being a gerdo or a wannabe but at some point you will want to invest in some high end/real steel gear ( god i hate how that sounds but you get the idea ), because it works and it's designed to put up with the punishment your putting it thought. The number of times I see people buying things without finding out brands and such is scary, do your research there are a wealth of forums ( not just airsoft forums) with gear reviews and testing

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i always test equipment i buy. when i have a new piece i probably put it through more hardship at home than i would on th skirmish field. slings are taken of and on repeatedly grenades are tested aeg's fired and batteries emptied and charged before a skirmish. i check my bdu's also and if needs be i strenghten them with a bit of extra stitching. For slings i only buy slings with metal rings i never buy stuff of e bay. only airsoft sites. also i check before i buy on boards. One thing i have seen though is that people playing airsoft tend not to take care of their gear past their aeg's. i am so particular when it comes to gear. after every game every scrap of stuff is cleaned and packed away neatly. i clean my aeg's and gbb's and discharge my batteries. symple really but some people go through some amountof kit all mine is my first issue as it were and i'm playing over a year now.i have not needed to replace any of my kit

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PEP_C

I agree with Puding, you generally get what you pay for.....with the exception of my ESS ICE glasses only $29.00...bargin. Now the most important thing you must test is your bb's. I have had to invest over €300 in a new barrel and hop up due to crappy bb's being sold on a particular airsoft site. What really annoyed me that I was not the first to complain, it later transpired that others had experienced the same problem. They have since switched suppliers.

Do your own research and buy recognised brands from legit retailers. One thing I will say is that it is better to spend alot of money on a jacket or vest rather than spending alot of money on trousers, as the tops tend to last longer than the average pair of trousers, which are more prone to damage. I have had the same 2 tops for 4 years now, only slightly faded, but all the buckles, zips still work no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

if i get new glasses i get my l96 and shoot them point blank and if they dont break crack shatter or get damaged they pass my saftey test :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

if i get new glasses i get my l96 and shoot them point blank and if they dont break crack shatter or get damaged they pass my saftey test :p

You might want to read this post before you do it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Blay wrote: »
    You might want to read this post before you do it next time.

Yup, it can be practically the same as testing your car to see if it crashes well.. Just buy a good brand with a good ANSI rating and trust it..

Advertisement