Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month visit to Kildare Town - What to do?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 6:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm visiting Ireland for the 5th time and staying for 3 months this time with my friend and her family in Kildare Town (my second stay in Kildare Town). I don't want to burn her out on my presence and wouldn't mind meeting some new people while I'm there. Where would be some good places to run into friendly people? I'll be walking distance from Kildare Town and on foot the whole time. I've done all the touristy stuff already so I'm not looking for any suggestions in that regard.

About me if it helps: I'm 32 y/o male from the Seattle area. I'm a professional computer geek with much better than average social skills for my breed. Being typical of the Seattle area I am super mellow and friendly though shy at first with strangers.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Do you work for Microsoft or Boeing?

(Sorry - old seattle joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Seahawks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blueTab

Actually, I did work for Microsoft for about 7 years but have since left the mothership though I sometimes find myself back there doing contract work.

Seahawks?

I'm not a fan of the NFL and don't even talk to me about the NBA (People here are still pissed). I do however enjoy the occasional hockey game. Usually the minor league ones where they still fight.

Are you a Seahawks fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

3 months is a long time to spend just in Kildare Town, I lived in Newbridge for a long time but had a job in Kildare town for a while, it's not that exciting. the countryside is nice but you'd be better off checking out some other counties around the country to take advantage of your long stay. buying a second hand bicycle might be a good idea, tho the weather wont be as nice in 2 months

You can get to Dublin City easily by train, takes around 50mins. there will prob be fare promotions of 10euro day returns.

• Advertisement

3 months is a long time to spend just in Kildare Town, I lived in Newbridge for a long time but had a job in Kildare town for a while, it's not that exciting. the countryside is nice but you'd be better off checking out some other counties around the country to take advantage of your long stay. buying a second hand bicycle might be a good idea, tho the weather wont be as nice in 2 months

You can get to Dublin City easily by train, takes around 50mins. there will prob be fare promotions of 10euro day returns.

I figured as much. I was in Kildare for about 2 months my last stay a couple years ago but didn't venture into the town at all. First 2-3 weeks of that is just getting used to the 8 hour time difference. I spent most of my time in the house and was content just to be away. I had a couple Dublin excursions and one to Carlow but nothing too exciting. I'll be working on some side projects to sharpen my skills while I'm there so I'll keep myself busy during the days with that.

I guess I'm asking whether there's anything the Kildare locals do that would be foreigner friendly that I can wander into. If it's like here where people will avoid you unless you've been introduced by someone they know then I'll be fine keeping myself busy with my computer and the people I'm visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the locals are friendly, but theres just not much to do there. you could try sign up to couchsurfing.com, maybe you've heard of it? you get to stay in peoples houses for free instead of paying for hostels/b&b's. I had a german friend that travelled for 2 weeks just recently and used couchsurfing for accommodation, it's a good way of making new friends too.

Great suggestion! That's more like what I was hoping to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If you play golf, a few of the pubs have golf societies which can be joined at any time.

Same with poker - plenty of pub games on weekly in Cunninghams & 5 Jockeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

the locals are friendly, but theres just not much to do there. you could try sign up to couchsurfing.com, maybe you've heard of it? you get to stay in peoples houses for free instead of paying for hostels/b&b's. I had a german friend that travelled for 2 weeks just recently and used couchsurfing for accommodation, it's a good way of making new friends too.

Excellent suggestion. I did something similar years ago when I travelled solo around Germany -- it's a great way to meet locals who want to hang out with you, introduce you to people, and show you the best of their towns. (though some of those Germans just wanted to meet me (American) to vent about how **** the US is -- much less likely in Ireland!)

Generally, people are like this:
    blueTab wrote: »
    If it's like here where people will avoid you unless you've been introduced by someone they know then I'll be fine keeping myself busy with my computer and the people I'm visiting.

and it'd be a shame to spend three months holed up in a house in Kildare. Set aside time to travel around Ireland if you can.

If you bring some decent coffee with you, you might make some friends for life. :)

• Advertisement

I signed up for the couch surfing site last night. I'm going to have to take some to think about what to write in my profile; there's a ton of boxes there to fill out.

Good call on the coffee. I tend to forget that I live in the coffee capital of the US. I'm always required to bring Hostess Apple Pies, Twinkies, and ranch dressing packets with me. Twinkie technology seems to be quite novel over there.

Advertisement