Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cassette for Ultegra

• 05-08-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if the new 6700 11-28 cassette will cause problems with a 6600 short cage rear mech?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I've used the SRAM equivalent and that wasn't a problem so I can't see an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have it on my tourer at the moment with a long cage 6600 which is fine. So the max sprocket size being 1T over spec will probably not be an issue. With a compact 50-34 and 12-27 I have been fine with short cage on most bikes but had chain slack issues with one necessitating a long cage. This combo is over the capacity spec for a short cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Thanks for the replies.

Ordered it just now. Couldn't find a 11-27 6600 so had to go for the 6700.

I'll let ye know.

'68 wrote:
    Couldn't find a 11-27 6600 so had to go for the 6700.
    11-27 6600 does not exist, 12-27 does.

For what it's worth (if you can still cancel) I much much much prefer 12-27 to 11-28, for anything other than the likes of the Marmotte. The 11-28 is just too gappy. 12-27 is a decent climbing cassette. There is absolutely no need for an 11T sprocket unless you are a professional IMO (and even there 12T cassettes are still used depending on the terrain.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need for an 11T sprocket unless you are a professional IMO

I used to think the same, but quite often find myself spinning out in races with a 53/12. I know that I should learn to pedal at higher cadence, but I'd rather have the choice all the same.

Should have listened to Quigs Snr on this one, as usual.

Lumen wrote: »
    I used to think the same, but quite often find myself spinning out in races with a 53/12. I know that I should learn to pedal at higher cadence, but I'd rather have the choice all the same.

Should have listened to Quigs Snr on this one, as usual.
    I have never spun out in a race even on 50/12 never mind 53/12. 11-28 would be horrible for racing on. I have a high cadence range and am generally very insensitive to "gappiness" but even I find the 11-28 intolerably gappy, particularly at the climbing end. And that is in leisure events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have a 23-11 and haven't 'spun out' but have used it in a couple tri bike legs, that said it has been quite rare and only on longish gradual downhills.

I also have a 12-27 which I use with a short cage 6600, no issues.

Edit: I find the 12-27 a bit gappy, I'd imagine the 11-28 would be quite bad.

11-28 would be horrible for racing on.

Well I agree with that so it's a a non-issue in this thread, I was just challenging the "11T is only for pros" suggestion in general, as it's not my experience (yours varies, obviously).
    mloc123 wrote: »
    I have a 23-11 and haven't 'spun out' but have used it in a couple tri bike legs, that said it has been quite rare and only on longish gradual downhills.

Less on an issue in tri since there's no drafting and more steady state effort? OTOH ISTR Tunney claiming he'd spun out a 53-11 in a tri, but I may be imagining things.
    I have never spun out in a race even on 50/12 never mind 53/12.

I've got up to 75kph in 53-12 pedalling hardish with a tailwind on a steady descent when not racing, but I have different experiences when on the limit in races - my tolerance for high cadence drops and I can't produce the power without feeling like I'm pushing into the red. I have no idea whether attacking on a descent with a tailwind makes sense, but I'd like to have the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Less on an issue in tri since there's no drafting and more steady state effort? OTOH ISTR Tunney claiming he'd spun out a 53-11 in a tri, but I may be imagining things.

Just to clarify, I have been glad to have an 11 in these races. Spun out(for me) a 12 in a race or two last year.

• Advertisement

I have no idea whether attacking on a descent with a tailwind makes sense
    It makes no sense, no. Attack uphill/headwind. My own max is 89km/h on 50-12 (downhill obviously.)

It makes no sense, no. Attack uphill/headwind.

Attack into a headwind? Not even Jens attacks into a headwnd. OK, maybe Jens does.
    My own max is 89km/h on 50-12 (downhill obviously.)

170rpm. You should do Goldsprints.

Sorry, I had that backwards, mind fart. Attack with a tailwind!

I have managed far in excess of 170rpm on my fixie downhill but the 89 was achieved with an aero tuck not pedalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Well now,

Cassette arrived and is fitted, cyclesuperstore make it too easy to not go out to the shop!

I see what you guys mean about it being gappy in the top half but I've relatively little experiance with different cassettes and ratios so I'm happy to give it a go. Anything is better than blowing up on the Sally Gap while all my mates spin off with their compacts and tripples, I've got a 53-39 up front.

Thanks for the replies and just for the record, I managed 60k with no wind along the canal from Blackhorse to Suir road with the 59-11. Unionman can confirm!

Advertisement