Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tackling my first 100k

• 05-08-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Well lads today's the day.

I'm heading for a sleep and then going to attempt it.

Can anyone recommend any pre and during food and drinks or encouragement to get to the 100?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any pre and during food and drinks or encouragement to get to the 100?

Before: Weetabix or porridge and a few glasses of water
    During: Lots of food and water. Whatever you want. I like bananas and fig rolls.
    After. I go for milk as a recovery drink and some pasta.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I would mix something into the water you take with you - a decent mix of Miwadi or Robinsons is fine. I just fill one 750ml bottle for a 100k trip (having drunk plenty of water beforehand) but some people would fill a second bottle. Drink small amounts regularly.

A banana is always good - eat it first as you could be drinking it if you leave it in your pocket for too long! Those cereal bars are pretty useful too - I find the chewy ones better than the sawdust efforts.

I usually cycle early in the morning so a rasher sandwich is my preferred treat afterwards. I always enjoy a good dinner later - I cycle a lot on sundays so a roast or a feed of steak is usually on the cards. Have a beer or a glass of wine too - you deserve it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Well I'm awake and it's pissing rain. Great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rashers and eggs with coffee for brekkie. take 2 750ml of water on the bike. eat protein bars or cereal bars and carry a pouch of energy drink powder. After usually eat meat on its own. If youve cycled up to 70 or 80 kms before the 100km will be easy. Dont push yourself too hard as its not a race and just enjoy the cycle and sights as you pass

this is the route I was thinking

lusk - ashbourne - slane - Duleek - julianstown - gormanstown - balrbiggan - skerries - rush- Lusk

• Advertisement

I am not sure of the exact roads you will be taking but I think that could come up slightly short:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3936358

Might need a diversion.

looks like a fairly decent flatish route to go and not loads of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

Hi5 4:1 drinks are not bad...

I'm just back lads 100.6k had to do a few laps off the ring road in lusk to hit the 100

Managed avg 23.6 speed took just over 4 hours 15.

Absolutely chuffed.

Last 15k was a killer but I got there won't be doing it for a while yet lol

well done hope youve a load of ddep heat at home.

Now try do 100km in the Wicklow Mountains :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

well done matey :) tis a grand number with a bit wow factor when you tell yer mates. Looks like a nice relaxing route. Here's the 100 odd I did today if you're ever aspiring to hit the hills and wondering: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/138377 a lot of cyclists in south dublin would do something similar

U can stick them hills were the sun don't shine lol.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

well done matey :) tis a grand number with a bit wow factor when you tell yer mates. Looks like a nice relaxing route. Here's the 100 odd I did today if you're ever aspiring to hit the hills and wondering: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/138377 a lot of cyclists in south dublin would do something similar

That looks like a nice spin. Might try to give it a go on Saturday. How long should it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Great work. Just don't drink milk ever. We are the only species that drinks the breast milk of another.

God I'm sore this morning

Fair play to you. You kind of like that you're sore - admit it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

ashleey wrote: »
    Great work. Just don't drink milk ever. We are the only species that drinks the breast milk of another.

Leave a bowl of milk out overnight in your back garden and test out that theory ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Does that cause problems? I ask because I used to drink loads of the stuff. Now I only take a drop with tea or porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Human milk really isn't very tasty. Apparently.

Cow juice is great stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Does that cause problems? I ask because I used to drink loads of the stuff. Now I only take a drop with tea or porridge.
    Many people are lactose intolerant (me included) leading to a variety of allergies and symptoms. Mine is allergy-induced asthma. YMMV though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Thats interseting. I used to only drink milk when i was younger. In the last few years i drink way more water and only bout pint a day. I was told it isn't good for your chest but never realised it enduced asthma.
    I ask as i have slight ashtma and the enhaler doesn't seem to work. Often when im out cycling i can get really tight chest. Mainly on cold or windy mornings. Most get myself checked properly i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Milk is my post cycle recovery drink and I swear by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

blahblah06 wrote: »
    this is the route I was thinking

lusk - ashbourne - slane - Duleek - julianstown - gormanstown - balrbiggan - skerries - rush- Lusk

Bb, how much training/cycling were you doing before aiming for 100k? I've been doing regular dublin balbriggan commutes every day or every other day (approx 30-35k) recently, in an hour or so depending on wind/weather. It's easy enough at this stage, so much so I've headed out to naul and into dublin that way for a change of scenery. I'd like to give a long run a go, I'm just not sure what to aim for. I've clocked up 600km in just over a week recently so I'm thinking a longer spin may not be that much out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I was exaggerating a bit but if you think about milk it does lose it's allure. Hedgehogs will drink because it's better than starving to death. Luckily at the moment most if us don't have to make that decision. Don't listen to any lobby groups. If you don't fancy human milk I can't see why we should drink cow milk. A bit of diary is fine but the quantity in the diet here is madness. Stick to the mediterrranean diet. It goes with the Italian French Spanish euro cycling dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Bb, how much training/cycling were you doing before aiming for 100k? I've been doing regular dublin balbriggan commutes every day or every other day (approx 30-35k) recently, in an hour or so depending on wind/weather. It's easy enough at this stage, so much so I've headed out to naul and into dublin that way for a change of scenery. I'd like to give a long run a go, I'm just not sure what to aim for. I've clocked up 600km in just over a week recently so I'm thinking a longer spin may not be that much out of the question.

If you can travel 30 -35k in an hour, then 100k should be comfortably in your range

I've clocked up 600km in just over a week recently so I'm thinking a longer spin may not be that much out of the question.

You've averaged 85km a day for one week, and you're wondering whether you can do 100km in one ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

padunne wrote: »
    i have slight ashtma and the enhaler doesn't seem to work. Often when im out cycling i can get really tight chest. Mainly on cold or windy mornings.

What type of inhaler are you using? Ventolin or something similar?
    Inhalers like Ventolin inhalers only offer instant relief of Asthma symtoms. By the sounds of things you may need an additional inhaler which will help control/prevent the asthma occuring in the first place.

Lumen wrote: »
    You've averaged 85km a day for one week, and you're wondering whether you can do 100km in one ride?

Sounds ridiculous when you put it like that! But I was doing 30-35k one way, then later doing another 30-35k. Plus it was over 8/9 days. In fact, just looking at it again and I did only 480 - 500km in 8 days (no rest days) and 610k in 12 days (2 rest days). So over 12 days it's actually only an average of 50k each day, but over 8 days its an average of about 60km a day without a rest day. I should really be able to hit 100km with a couple of days rest before hand then?

Apologies for hijacking a thread here.

Sounds ridiculous when you put it like that! But I was doing 30-35k one way, then later doing another 30-35k. Plus it was over 8/9 days. In fact, just looking at it again and I did only 480 - 500km in 8 days (no rest days) and 610k in 12 days (2 rest days). So over 12 days it's actually only an average of 50k each day, but over 8 days its an average of about 60km a day without a rest day. I should really be able to hit 100km with a couple of days rest before hand then?

You can do in one ride what you can do in one week (every week).

• Advertisement

You can do in one ride what you can do in one week (every week).

Right, so if I read that right I should be aiming to head out on a 400k cycle in the morning and then take a break for a week then? :D

Right, so if I read that right I should be aiming to head out on a 400k cycle in the morning and then take a break for a week then? :D

If you are genuinely capable of riding 400km every single week then yes, you'd probably manage a 400km cycle. Not that I've done one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Eh, no. What do you feed to a cat? The only reason the cat doesn't drink this in nature is that it can't milk the cow itself. I presume you reject all agriculture and hunt your own food in the jungle?

The anti-milk people drive me up the wall. If you are lactose intolerant, yes, drinking milk is not going to do you any good. If you have a peanut allergy better not eat peanuts. You have an allergy, avoid the allergen. If, like most of the Western population, you are NOT lactose intolerant drink as much of the stuff as you like, it is a nutritious foodstuff. Cheese is a big thing in Spain, France and Italy by the way.

We are the only species on the planet that does a lot of things, duh. People have been drinking cow milk for a while, to say the least, since the Neolithic period. Longer than we have been doing most of the other things that constitute civilisation.

220px-Egyptian_Domesticated_Animals.jpg

If you are genuinely capable of riding 400km every single week then yes, you'd probably manage a 400km cycle. Not that I've done one myself.

Well, I am capable of doing 4-500k in a week, I've just never thought about it along those lines before though. It kind of just crept up on me, I set out to be able to do the 30k distances and before I knew it I was doing it nearly every day.

blorg wrote: »
    The only reason the cat doesn't drink this in nature is that it can't milk the cow itself.

It's true. Cats prefer to milk dogs.

Advertisement