Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold from Gold: The Deconstruction of Golden Wrenches

Options
  • 05-08-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

goldendemo.png

Seems a few people, spurred on by Jon "WiNGSPANTT" Tran, are going to delete their ultra-rare Golden Wrenches in TF2 but they are not going to perform such an insane act without good reason, they're raising money for a charity called Child's Play.

I think it's such a great idea, to have a positive effect on so many children from a free in-game item and, were I lucky enough to have received a Golden Wrench I would definitely be joining in. Wonder now if any of the other 92 Golden Wrench wielders will part with their weapons and TF2 will see the end of the Australium powered tools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

And people look down on gamers? Thats great these guys will be getting my donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I put some cash in the pot. Some good finally comes out of the golden wrench BS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What are golden wrenches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

humanji wrote: »
    What are golden wrenches?

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Golden_Wrench

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Some extra info here, on the official TF2 wiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah I gave $15 dollars too, for charity so...why not

I see Antar is there also with 15 @ no.517 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah I gave $15 dollars too, for charity so...why not

I see Antar is there also with 15 @ no.517 :)

:)

I see some $500 dollar donations on that list as well!

I bet it was Valve themselves and probably PopCap, or else someone that just has waaayyy too much money. Fair play to them though :):)

Wow, over $30,000 for the deletion of a couple of virtual items is not bad going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Wow cool, 30,000 dollars*!!

(*includes 96% administration costs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

It warms thee heart...great story!

I was playin there about 2 weeks ago, when a message came up sayin some fella had just destroyed his Golden Wrench :p

Aparantely he had heard of the Gold from Gold...but misunderstood it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Some extra info here, on the official TF2 wiki

I've read that link and I still can't understand how the players were "awarded" the wrenches. Did players actually decrypt code or did they actually "find" them in the game? :confused:

quarryman wrote: »
    I've read that link and I still can't understand how the players were "awarded" the wrenches. Did players actually decrypt code or did they actually "find" them in the game? :confused:

They just got lucky, Valve made a certain number of wrenches available each day and then there was a minuscule chance of crafting a wrench on that day.

They just got lucky, Valve made a certain number of wrenches available each day and then there was a minuscule chance of crafting a wrench on that day.

I think it was over a few days, using all the items you had you had to craft...I wasted...at least 20-30 items trying to get a wrench :P even items that I always had equipped, Sandviches, Kritz, Backburner...everything all went into trying to get a wrench :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think it was over a few days, using all the items you had you had to craft...I wasted...at least 20-30 items trying to get a wrench :P even items that I always had equipped, Sandviches, Kritz, Backburner...everything all went into trying to get a wrench :P

Tell me about it, my backpack still hasn't recovered :(

Advertisement