Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary in KIlmeaden

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hello there,
    just a heads up to everyone.
    A family member of mine was burgled over the weekend (Sunday night in fact) in Kilmeaden.
    I can't go into too many specifics on here for obvious reasons.
    These guys were obviously watching the house as they struck when the owners were out, and indeed one of the family returned just after they had left.
    The Gardai were called and informed the family that the burglers were one of two well known traveller families from the Waterford area.
    As much as I'd love to, I can't give out names.
    They made off with, among other things, a decent haul of jewellery, and also left their calling card. i.e. urinated and defacated all over the house.
    As you can imagine, the family are utterly devastated, not just because the actual loss of property but mainly because of their own privacy being invaded as such.
    So just a message to everyone, be on the look-out for any suspicious activity in the area and call the Gardai immediately.
    If anyone might have any info, anything at all on the above. Please feel free to PM me or indeed contact the Gardai. Any help would be most welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If the Gardaí knows who they are then whay the **** are they not doing something about it. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    If the Gardaí knows who they are then whay the **** are they not doing something about it. Useless.

The garda know a lot of the people that commit these crimes. The problem is getting sound evidence and witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Not to be nasty but surely they left DNA evidence in what they left behind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The garda know a lot of the people that commit these crimes. The problem is getting sound evidence and witnesses.

yes just like the evidence they get catching people driving on the bypass into town hidin like overfed foxes in the laybye out mt congreve..its all about the money for them if theres nothing in it they aint interested..........

on the other hand hope they catch the filthy lowdown scumdoggs that did that disgusting crime and give them their usual tip on the wrists........

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Junior wrote: »

To be honest, that suggestion was almost scoffed at, they did look for fingerprints however but came to the conclusion that they wore gloves.

I'm afraid the ordinary decent people (like the majority of us) seem to be completely at the mercy of these scumbags and the authorities are simply not protecting us.
    We go out to work, pay our taxes, mortgages etc. abide by and respect the law and do our bit for the community. We struggle to make ends meet but we get on with it and try and do our best.
    I then look at these guys who completely live outside the law, do not contribute in any way to society, burgle and hurt people without a care because they know nothing will come of it. Laugh at the Gardai in the knowledge that the Gaurds really don't want to know at the end of the day. Too much hassle for them, yet, as Hoffmans pointed out, they'll wait and try catch you doing a few miles over the speed limit because you're an easy target and its handy money for them.
    And then to add complete insult to injury, these guys' Wives/girlfriends are collecting their back to school grants (€400) for their kids to return to school so that they don't have to put their hands in their pockets for books, uniforms etc. and here I am going to the Credit Union for same.
    Jesus, whats going on in this country at all???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

montec wrote: »
    To be honest, that suggestion was almost scoffed at, they did look for fingerprints however but came to the conclusion that they wore gloves.

I'm afraid the ordinary decent people (like the majority of us) seem to be completely at the mercy of these scumbags and the authorities are simply not protecting us.
    We go out to work, pay our taxes, mortgages etc. abide by and respect the law and do our bit for the community. We struggle to make ends meet but we get on with it and try and do our best.
    I then look at these guys who completely live outside the law, do not contribute in any way to society, burgle and hurt people without a care because they know nothing will come of it. Laugh at the Gardai in the knowledge that the Gaurds really don't want to know at the end of the day. Too much hassle for them, yet, as Hoffmans pointed out, they'll wait and try catch you doing a few miles over the speed limit because you're an easy target and its handy money for them.
    And then to add complete insult to injury, these guys' Wives/girlfriends are collecting their back to school grants (€400) for their kids to return to school so that they don't have to put their hands in their pockets for books, uniforms etc. and here I am going to the Credit Union for same.
    Jesus, whats going on in this country at all???
    i couldnt agree more with you. and people wonder why the country is the way it is. its arse about face if you ask me. we would all be better off selling our houses and traveelling around in caravans to different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The lab in Phoenix park would crumble under the weight if DNA evidence was collected and analysed after every burglary here - the resources aren't put in when it comes to solving these types of crimes - and they won't be until people start kicking up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Somehow I doubt that someone defecates in a house during a robbery , but wheres gloves to hide their fingerprints , sounds like total BS to me.
    The guards tell you who it is , and theres DNA evidence there then why isnt it followed through even if the culprit only gets 3 months its still something,

I can guarantee you that if it was a Gardas house or a relatives that was broken into, then these scum would be already in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I really hope there is a positive outcome for your family in relation to this, it must be an awful experience for them. Its a shame about the Garda bashing that has gone on here on this post. I can't see how anyone can relate a speed trap in the city to this sickening incident. Best of luck to the Tramore Garda district in solving this horrific crime and showing the perpetrators some justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

There is no DNA in poo or pee. You get DNA from cells. Similarly there is not DNA in finger nails or hair, but there is in a hair follicle (which is a cell).

dayshah wrote: »
    There is no DNA in poo or pee. You get DNA from cells. Similarly there is not DNA in finger nails or hair, but there is in a hair follicle (which is a cell).

Not to sure your right here -
    DNA is contained in blood, semen, skin cells, tissue, organs, muscle, brain cells, bone, teeth, hair root, saliva, mucus, perspiration, fingernails, urine, feces, etc

Read more at Suite101: Forensic DNA Fingerprinting: Profiling and Crime Scene Evidence http://dna-trace-analysis.suite101.com/article.cfm/forensic_dna#ixzz0wynfzGZC

Either way, its a sad fact of life here in Ireland that summary crime samples are very unlikely to be sent for DNA testing because of the costs involved.

I hope these people get caught by the Gardai and if people know who they are they need to tell the Gardai before it happens to someone else

Not to sure your right here -
    DNA is contained in. . . urine, feces, etc

No, its not. There is no dna in bodily waste in itself. However, it is not uncommon for cells from your intestines and rectum (hope you haven't eaten!) to be contained in your feces. So I guess you're both right!!

detective wrote: »
    No, its not. There is no dna in bodily waste in itself. However, it is not uncommon for cells from your intestines and rectum (hope you haven't eaten!) to be contained in your feces. So I guess you're both right!!

Both feces and urine will be contaminated with DNA cells, it is virtually impossible for this not to happen and because of this will contain information on potenial suspects.

Hair and nails can supply a wealth of information; eg; The medualla in hair strand can often negate a suspect, nails and hairstrands can supply a wealth of information. Tis amazing

If you ever get a chance to study forensic sceince go for it - I was crap at sceince but had the lecturer from heaven - she made everything so simply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Both feces and urine will be contaminated with DNA cells, it is virtually impossible for this not to happen and because of this will contain information on potenial suspects.

Hair and nails can supply a wealth of information; eg; The medualla in hair strand can often negate a suspect, nails and hairstrands can supply a wealth of information. Tis amazing

If you ever get a chance to study forensic sceince go for it - I was crap at sceince but had the lecturer from heaven - she made everything so simply.
    I accept your points.

I suppose in poo and pee the DNA is far more diluted than semen, so not as diluted.

I watched something once about how DNA is overrated. Eg. prosecution may try convict because only 1/million people would match with that DNA evidence, but that means about 50 people in England would match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

I can guarantee you that if it was a Gardas house or a relatives that was broken into, then these scum would be already in prison.

ha rubbish, love seeing all the garda bashing on this thread. Sure all the gardai are to busy eating doughnuts to be out solving crimes :rolleyes:. I know the family whos house this happend to and its a disgrace. Even if dna evidence was taken from the house there is little or no chance that there would be a 100% match on the Garda system.

angry_fox wrote: »
    Even if dna evidence was taken from the house there is little or no chance that there would be a 100% match on the Garda system.

There would be no chance because currently the Gardai are not allowed to retain DNA from people (they are allowed to take it from people for the offence for which it has been taken). The Government are trying to introduce legislation which would allow the Gardai to maintain a DNA database.

I don't know why people are taking offence to the above statement, its how the majority of the general public feel, the Gardai demonstrate this by their revenue collecting on only the safe roads, probably the only occasion most people experience the gardai.
    This is not Garda bashing as generally I've a lot of respect for an unarmed relatively uncorrupt force, but most people believe in this country its "not whats ya know its who you know" to say otherwise is a lie or is total detachment from mindset of the general public.

rasper wrote: »
    I don't know why people are taking offence to the above statement, its how the majority of the general public feel, the Gardai demonstrate this by their revenue collecting on only the safe roads, probably the only occasion most people experience the gardai.
    This is not Garda bashing as generally I've a lot of respect for an unarmed relatively uncorrupt force, but most people believe in this country its "not whats ya know its who you know" to say otherwise is a lie or is total detachment from mindset of the general public.

People are taking offence to it because it incinerates that Gardai aren't impartial to how they do their job. It also incinerates that Gardai don't give a monkeys about solving crime unless they themselves are the victims.

You use "revenue collecting on only the safe roads" as proof that Gardai don't wish to solve crime unless they themselves are victims. This is rather nonsensical. if you have an issue with where Gardai do checkpoints then that is a different issue altogether.

You also state that the Gardai are "relatively uncorrupt". This could be interpreted that they are also corrupt in some way. This is a serious accusation. Please tell me of any circumstances where you have heard of Gardai being corrupt in any way whatsoever and perhaps attach some proof if possible.

ouch must have hit an open nerve there, as I state again I've generally a high regard for our unarmed and relatively uncorrupt garda force.
    Surprised this is the first you heard of this Detective,

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0714/synnottj.html#

http://www.fourthwrite.ie/mags1.html

http://info-wars.org/2009/10/29/corruption-is-rife-among-gardai-claims-young-officer/

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/35960

Anyway every force will have its bad apples thats the same worlwide , its just to deny it when the dog in the street believes it well thats just oirish.
    As for the revenue collecting if you think its another story, then you cant see the big picture

• Advertisement

This isn't the first I've heard of any of these cases.

Your first example was a case that was detected and investigated by Gardai in Wexford and not the Garda Ombudsman and highlights how Gardai are not corrupt moreso than it highlights that they are corrupt.

Your second example contains a number of examples of Garda corruption. I'm not going to say here that Gardai have never drank and drove. I myself have formed part of criminal prosecutions against Gardai in this regard. Again, these cases are detected and investigated by Gardai and not the Ombudsman. Again due to this I believe these cases highlight how Gardai are not corrupt moreso than it highlights that they are corrupt. Your second example also highlights the Abbeylara incident. This has been fully investigated by a full blown tribunal and not one Garda was accused of corruption here, let alone convicted. And that's before we even go into the FBI report on the matter. Your second example also highlights cases which involved Garda informants. For obvious reasons I won't be going into these.

Your third example is/was spot on the money until the promotion/recrutiment was taken over by the Public Service Appointments service. It still happens but not as much in fairness. I can't see how it affected the general public though, at least not directly.

In relation to your fourth example I won't be logging on to the official website of a political party who cannot condemn the murder of D/Garda McCabe.

Of course the "revenue" collecting is a different story. You cannot possibly compare Gardai being directed by their superior officers to conduct a speed check in a certain location at a certain time to Gardai who are allegedly not interested in solving crime unless they are the victims. That's not to say that I understand when people get very frustrated when they are stopped by Gardai doing 80kmph on a 60kmph dual carraigeway!!! But you and others have alleged that Gardai are corrupt, how's a speed check in a safe location corrupt? They are different issues surely you can see that.

The Gardai aren't perfect. Far from it. But it is not a corrupt organisation. Yes there are bad apples like you said. But once the organisation is capable of finding these bad apples in its own barrel then that is not a corrupt organisation.

This thread has been taken off topic and I am partly to blame for this. Rasper please feel free to PM me or set up a new thread and I will respond. I don't think its right for us to continue this on this thread in fairness.

all fair points an I've no axe to grind so back to the burglary in Kilmeaden

angry_fox wrote: »
    ha rubbish, love seeing all the garda bashing on this thread. Sure all the gardai are to busy eating doughnuts to be out solving crimes :rolleyes:. I know the family whos house this happend to and its a disgrace. Even if dna evidence was taken from the house there is little or no chance that there would be a 100% match on the Garda system.

Isn't it about time then that they started getting the public on their side. Two nights in a row last week I passed a Garda standing at the side of the Waterford bypass with a speed gun. Good work there by officer plod. I wonder how many people he pulled doing 5mph over the speed limit on a dual carriageway.

If that's what you consider to be good policing then we will have to agree to disagree.

Isn't it about time then that they started getting the public on their side. Two nights in a row last week I passed a Garda standing at the side of the Waterford bypass with a speed gun. Good work there by officer plod. I wonder how many people he pulled doing 5mph over the speed limit on a dual carriageway.

Again I think we are getting off topic here? I assume you're complaining about the southern section of the bypass (60kmph). If so then the road seems like it is capable of holding higher speeds but these decisions are made by the relevant local authority, not the Gardai. This road is 60 because of the mirage of roundabouts and because the powers that be (NRA?) decided it wasn't necessary to give the road proper junctions. If you are complaining about the northern section then I don't see your point at all. It's a serious road and people do drive beyond their capabilities at times in my opinion.

Does Minstrel believe that Gardai shouldn't conduct speed checks nowhere ever? I've never heard of any of my colleagues issuing someone with a ticket for going 5kmph over nor have my friends/family ever been stopped for going 5kmph over. If people didn't speed then Officer Plod could focus on different areas of policing.

Again I think we are getting off topic here? I assume you're complaining about the southern section of the bypass (60kmph). If so then the road seems like it is capable of holding higher speeds but these decisions are made by the relevant local authority, not the Gardai. This road is 60 because of the mirage of roundabouts and because the powers that be (NRA?) decided it wasn't necessary to give the road proper junctions. If you are complaining about the northern section then I don't see your point at all. It's a serious road and people do drive beyond their capabilities at times in my opinion.

Does Minstrel believe that Gardai shouldn't conduct speed checks nowhere ever? I've never heard of any of my colleagues issuing someone with a ticket for going 5kmph over nor have my friends/family ever been stopped for going 5kmph over. If people didn't speed then Officer Plod could focus on different areas of policing.

I am referring to the Waterford City bypass, not the outer ring road. Minstrel believes that speed checks should not be exclusively conducted on dual carriageways. I have never seen a speed check anywhere else in the Waterford City area. It is a revenue generating sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

rasper wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt that someone defecates in a house during a robbery , but wheres gloves to hide their fingerprints , sounds like total BS to me.
    The guards tell you who it is , and theres DNA evidence there then why isnt it followed through even if the culprit only gets 3 months its still something,

Hi OP here, not sure what you mean here, but I'm just telling it as it happened. Trust me, the cleaning bills are there to prove it.
    To be honest we can't figure out why anyone would do it either, but it happened and it is a horrible feeling.
    Further to the discussion taking place, I'm not keen on the Garda bashing but I can absolutely see where people are coming from.
    Ordinary, honest people can't seem to get a break at all, and the handy speed checks seem to be just another cynical money-making excercise when this kinda stff is going on .
    It just feels that we are not getting the protection we deserve, yet the dogs in the street know who is carrying out this criminal activity.

I am referring to the Waterford City bypass, not the outer ring road. Minstrel believes that speed checks should not be exclusively conducted on dual carriageways. I have never seen a speed check anywhere else in the Waterford City area. It is a revenue generating sham.

Speed checks are not exclusively carried out on dual carriageways. I don't live in Waterford city but I have seen speed checks being carried out at Swan plastics (near Plunkett station) and I have often seen speed checks carried out between the Old Kilmeaden Rd roundabout and the Carrickphierish roundabout (on you way to the Cleaboy coming from the Outer Ring Road).

Speed checks are not exclusively carried out on dual carriageways. I don't live in Waterford city but I have seen speed checks being carried out at Swan plastics (near Plunkett station) and I have often seen speed checks carried out between the Old Kilmeaden Rd roundabout and the Carrickphierish roundabout (on you way to the Cleaboy coming from the Outer Ring Road).

I do wonder where in Waterford has the highest frequency of speed checks? At a guess I would say it is not on a city street or country road. They got to catch those €'s afterall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

I'm currently going through a lengthy burglary, managed to rent a house to one of those and going through legal channels to have them evicted is a nightmare, they've been arrested for the extortion piece of it.( wanted over 3k to move then threatened to damage the hosue and pay me a visit etc.) Uniformed Gardai were just not interested evetually plain clothes looked into it but have yet to see results. Just need to get them out asap!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

Did they ever catch the guys or did you ever hear anything come of it?

Advertisement