Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary in KIlmeaden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

BlueBlaa wrote: »
    Did they ever catch the guys or did you ever hear anything come of it?

I was just reading down through all the posts and wondering the same thing myself. I had an odd incident happen to me in Kilmeaden a few weeks ago and again this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

Sometimes I think the criminal Travellers (as apposed to the 10% who are not criminal) have diplomatic immunity, does any justice ever come of their crimes, seems the Gardai see it as a waste of time pursuing them

Sometimes I think the criminal Travellers (as apposed to the 10% who are not criminal) have diplomatic immunity, does any justice ever come of their crimes, seems the Gardai see it as a waste of time pursuing them

I think sadly in most instances it is a waste of time pursing them. It seems that these types of criminals actually know the law better than the 'Law' themselves and are more than aware of every single loop hole or back door to avoid prosecution. Extremely frustrating for the Gardai who have to hear so many complaints from the frustrated public who are the ones who must always be the ones to bear the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Hi folks, OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Just to answer a few of your questions: No, the family has heard nothing since. I think the Gardai questioned some lads about the van they were driving on the night, but thats it and I fear thats pretty much the end of it.
    I heard that there was another break-in in the same area very recently (possibly in the last week or so?) and an older couple had a large sum of cash taken. So its continuing unabated.
    I would also like to point out that about 6 or 8 weeks ago, a member of our family, who was burgled, went to the Gardai to let them know that a strand of the Traveller family who were supposedly involved in the crime had moved back into the area. Only to be told by the Gardai, that she was treading on dangerous ground and what she was saying could amount to slander.
    So there you have it. The only thing to do is try and look out for yourselves and your neighbours, because other than that we're on our own.

Hi folks, OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Just to answer a few of your questions: No, the family has heard nothing since. I think the Gardai questioned some lads about the van they were driving on the night, but thats it and I fear thats pretty much the end of it.
    I heard that there was another break-in in the same area very recently (possibly in the last week or so?) and an older couple had a large sum of cash taken. So its continuing unabated.
    I would also like to point out that about 6 or 8 weeks ago, a member of our family, who was burgled, went to the Gardai to let them know that a strand of the Traveller family who were supposedly involved in the crime had moved back into the area. Only to be told by the Gardai, that she was treading on dangerous ground and what she was saying could amount to slander.
    So there you have it. The only thing to do is try and look out for yourselves and your neighbours, because other than that we're on our own.

• Advertisement

this is worrying news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I am also disgusted at the garda bashing here, for crying out loud! You never hear the good stories eh! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    As for the response you got from the Guard re slander etc ... if you weren't happy with it why don't you go back and speak to someone else?! They are there to protect us!
    OP, I am sorry to hear about your family, it is disgraceful that your family is being the target of that! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

I don't think anyone here is Garda bashing, the fact is there is no support for non-criminals, and why should anyone have to go back and speak to someone else surely any member of the Gardai soeaks for the entire force! The threat of nomadic criminals will only be highlighted in the next few years as money becomes tighter. I know that there is the possibility of better laws on white collar crime which will tackle some of the activities, but what about the rubbish they leave behind the threat that if they are prosecuted that they will come after you. the fact that they are nomadic means that you could wait years before anything comes of a court case. Its descrimination against settled people.

I don't think anyone here is Garda bashing, the fact is there is no support for non-criminals, and why should anyone have to go back and speak to someone else surely any member of the Gardai soeaks for the entire force! The threat of nomadic criminals will only be highlighted in the next few years as money becomes tighter. I know that there is the possibility of better laws on white collar crime which will tackle some of the activities, but what about the rubbish they leave behind the threat that if they are prosecuted that they will come after you. the fact that they are nomadic means that you could wait years before anything comes of a court case. Its descrimination against settled people.

Well said BlueBlaa.

Advertisement