Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design / Maintenance

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for your advice.

I have been given the task of project managing the design and build of the Companies website. We have outsourced both items however ideally we would like to look after the site inhouse once it is up and running. i.e maintaining and updating and also SEO and SMM will be carried out inhouse.

I have been looking at various "Webmaster" courses i.e CMIT, IPA and get the impression that these courses are a bit dated. Ideally I would like to do a conversion course in Computing however I have various restrictions I cant take days off work to attend a taught course so the course needs to be by distance learning. I have looked at open university and oscail but the courses on offer dont seem to hitting the right spot.

I have been on w3school.com and have been going through the tutorials and seem to be picking up the basics of HTML ok. Should i continue with this? Does anyone know of any other sites that offer free tutorials? Can you recommend any books that I should be reading i.e. HTML for dummies etc.

I would appreciate your advices
    Many thanks
    Cailin_Deas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

More likely the website will be build around a database system using either MySQL or SQL Server with PHP or ASP, so this will be something to look into more than anything.

Also, the website should have some sort of CMS for maintenance...

HTML is a must but I don't think it's something you'll be picking up easy.
    Now a days, you need to know more about CSS then HTML.
    You'll probably be better off hiring an in-house developer...

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

For a project management role you won't need any of this though, part of the job for a design company is to communicate in English with the client, not blind them with buzz words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

As Louie said - there's likely in this day and age to be some sort of CMS in the backgroud - if there is, you don't need to learn HTML etc to update the website yourself.

If in the future, you plan to completely redo the website, you will need to know the ins and outs of building a website.

Unfortunately, if you want it done right, it's a skilled job. You could teach yourself, but if you don't have time to do it during the day it's going to be a tough task.

Even if you spent a few hours a night, in a years time all you can really expect to be is at a junior level in terms of other web design agencies.

Why not hire professionals to build what you need and make sure they give you the tools to be able to manage and update the areas that you need to?

Or of course, employ an experienced web developer and designer to work in house?

Advertisement