Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmare problems trying to (Re)install XP!

• 05-08-2010 10:10am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a nightmate with my computer. After being unable to solve this problem I though I'd install XP on my smallest IDE Drive, and then put in the other drives later.

I tried installing xp on the disk without formatting as I had some files on there I would have preferred to keep. It did not work so I deleted the partition, formatted the drive and started the XP install. It paused after a few mins with some problem of a file it could not copy. I tried again and again, different formatting but it just will not install.

I'm clueless at to what to do now, any suggestions anyone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm having a nightmate with my computer. After being unable to solve this problem I though I'd install XP on my smallest IDE Drive, and then put in the other drives later.

I tried installing xp on the disk without formatting as I had some files on there I would have preferred to keep. It did not work so I deleted the partition, formatted the drive and started the XP install. It paused after a few mins with some problem of a file it could not copy. I tried again and again, different formatting but it just will not install.

I'm clueless at to what to do now, any suggestions anyone?
    Thanks

Assuming you ran a full format on the drive(not the quick) it would seem like your install disk is gone awry.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmm good point, thanks. Can I download a new one from somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whatever version of XP you have, your not going to find a install disk on a legal download.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's OEM with a Dell PC.
    Will dell send me out a new disk? If not I'll just download one. Just cause my disk is scratched I'm not going to go out and buy windows again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Try cleaning the install disc by holding it under running tap and dry with lint free cloth not in a circular motion.
    <mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If none of the above work you could try polishing the disk with a small amount of toothpaste have a look on here for more details on how http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i've had this exact problem myself and it is in fact a problem with reading the disk.

if you're downloading, google tiny xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Zascar wrote: »
    It's OEM with a Dell PC.
    Will dell send me out a new disk? If not I'll just download one. Just cause my disk is scratched I'm not going to go out and buy windows again

I can let you have a copy of a Dell install disc. I will NOT provide a serial (which you wont require anyway!)

Papa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    I can let you have a copy of a Dell install disc. I will NOT provide a serial (which you wont require anyway!)

Papa
    Beware of giving your cd to anyone as the serial is on the Disc. You just need to know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

The serial is embedded in the winnt file on the disc. For an OEM disc this serial is not required if the system detects that the disc is licensed for re-installation of a OEM OS.
    IE: Dell PC and Dell OS disc.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys I forgot to reply saying I've fixed this - I just got a cd from a friend and reformatted again... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

D0N7-ST34L-5OFT-W4R3

a GOOD SERIAL:D

Advertisement