Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rights as second hand private sale?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I bought a second hand washing machine from a known buy and sell site but when i connected it up it was broke. I contacted the seller who said they would give me back half of my money not the full amount which is totally wrong! But now they are back tracking and saying they no longer want to deal with me or pay the money even though i have it in writing. What rights do i have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

None. It's a private sale. Buyer beware, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Buyer beware yes. But if it was advertised as working perfectly and there was a written agreement then their may be a chance of bringing a civil case against the individual. Unfortunately the odds couldn't be further from your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hgm wrote: »
    What rights do i have?

You have the right to hire a solicitor to write a letter to the seller looking for your money back. This may or may not do anything for you, and it may cost more to hire a solicitor than buying a new washing machine. All depends on what you want to do, but to be honest, let it go and don't waste your time or any more money. You got conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hgm

Thanks for all your replies! I just cant believe in this day and age people are so cruel. More fool me i know, i will never be doing it again that's for sure. Note to all dont fall for little old woman act....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

hgm wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies! I just cant believe in this day and age people are so cruel. More fool me i know, i will never be doing it again that's for sure. Note to all dont fall for little old woman act....
    If thats the worst con that ever happens to you, consider yourself lucky. And never pay for s/h goods till you know they are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

are they selling more than 1 washer ? did you pick it up from a house or was it delivered ? you might have some comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Do you still have a copy of the ad?

As someone mentioned earlier, did the ad say that the machine worked?

It may be worth googling the number on the ad to see if they are selling aything else; if they are advertising a number of washing machines, for example, they may be deemed a retailer, despite not having a bricks and mortar shop.

Advertisement