Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do to improve the LOI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Roaster wrote: »
    MNS get rid of the good, bad & ugly....even though it can be funny at times. Just gives us GOOD, GOOD and more GOOD. We're trying to attract people here.

Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Good idea.

I wouldn't agree at all here. It's a lighthearted feature that shows all aspects of the league, if we Good, Good and Good, it's propaganda of sorts. Show everything, the good, the bad and the ugly of the league. That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Sunset V wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree at all here. It's a lighthearted feature that shows all aspects of the league, if we Good, Good and Good, it's propaganda of sorts. Show everything, the good, the bad and the ugly of the league. That's just my opinion.

We need that propaganda!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Sunset V wrote: »

It only shows one bit of good skill, on soccer am they show loads of clips of good skill. I know they show the bad and the ugly on soccer am too but there's less time for the segment on MNS. I see your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Roaster wrote: »
    We need that propaganda!!!!

Well they have a different goal ready to show for the "ugly" bit for the next 7 weeks now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think a solid, well defined football pyramid reaching right down to the most local of local teams would be a great help.
    Pure_Cork wrote: »
    There needs to be more than 10 teams in each division. Playing everyone 4 times minimum is too much.
    Only way forward is the 16 team division, attendences in the long run will increase as you have the likes of Shams, Bohs, Dundalk, etc... bringing bring away support. Bigger attendences equals more money for the clubs to work with on and off the field.

I don't know about this. The Swiss seem happy enough with 10 teams in their top division and have representation throughout the last qualifying rounds of European competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do any clubs release their finances at the end of each year/season?

if so, i would like to see how much these clubs cost to run every year and what their income streams are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

if so, i would like to see how much these clubs cost to run every year and what their income streams are.

I wouldn't say you've much hope of seeing accounts of the clubs, no more than any other business in the country would let you see theirs. Apart from the odd few figures reported in the papers and info from the 'in-the-know' fans, theres probly not much else.

Speaking as a Drogs fan, the budget seems to change every week anyway so its not likely to be an easy thing to document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

fh041205 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you've much hope of seeing accounts of the clubs, no more than any other business in the country would let you see theirs. Apart from the odd few figures reported in the papers and info from the 'in-the-know' fans, theres probly not much else.

Speaking as a Drogs fan, the budget seems to change every week anyway so its not likely to be an easy thing to document.

well all limited companies are required by law to submit annual accounts to the CRO, however many clubs may qualify as small companies and so only have to submit abridged accounts which show less information that the full financial statements. You will however be able to view their balance sheet and see how solvent they are, these accounts can be purchased from the CRO for a few euro each

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bohs are the obvious example of a club that do this, due to the way they are set up. Heres their famous 2008 accounts.

http://www.srfcultrasforum.com/forum/showthread.php?8515-How-to-run-a-club-successfully&highlight=how+to+run+a+club+successfully

Im sure you could dig out 2009 from the CRO handy enough. Hopefully they are less mental than these ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

enda1 wrote: »
    Join it with the league up North.

Would be nothing but hassle, look at any time Linfield or Glentoran play down here.

Would probably show how much of a farce some clubs are run like, Bohs accounts above highlight this, along with Fingals which would be a combo of sponsorship off Keelings and "donations" off NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

until everyone in the country is within an hour or so of a loi club, i dont think theres much more that can realistically be done tbh

as it stands, if youre not in or near dublin, youre unlikely to be within "ah sure we'll head along to the match" distance... and thats what you need to get people into the irish game

could follow the GAA *spit* model, and make it an inter county thing (16 team premiership and 10 team division 1) which would give everyone a club to follow, but where would it leave all the established dublin based clubs and two club counties like louth? thats the real issue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Somewhere between a quarter to a third of of country live in dublin, it would be ridiculas for it to only have one team.

The a signifiagnt number of counties are not big enough in terms of football players/fans to suport a team even if you were to convert mnay of those who follow foriegn teams.

IMO an inter-county league would be a complete failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cant be much more of a failure than the current format though

youre right though, a straight up county for county format wouldnt be viable

Helix wrote: »
    until everyone in the country is within an hour or so of a loi club, i dont think theres much more that can realistically be done tbh

But it doesn't work, look at Kildare County FC and Kilkenny City FC, both had home attendences of about 30. I remember going down to Buckley Park (Kilkennys ground) and asking some kids playing football in the town where Buckley Park was, they'd never heard of Buckey Park.:eek:

cant be much more of a failure than the current format though

youre right though, a straight up county for county format wouldnt be viable
    Then you are into the murky world of franchise football, no?

/shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Ya i despise the idea of "manufactured" clubs and they obviously dont work. I like the idea of a nationwide pyramid of leagues so that all clubs have a connection with the top level.
    Another problem I have with domestic football here is that there isnt really any transparency. I (and most people I know) know more about how the system over in England works than I do about the Irish system :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ya i despise the idea of "manufactured" clubs and they obviously dont work. I like the idea of a nationwide pyramid of leagues so that all clubs have a connection with the top level.
    Another problem I have with domestic football here is that there isnt really any transparency. I (and most people I know) know more about how the system over in England works than I do about the Irish system :confused:

Media would do that tbh

LOI doesnt sell simple as that, now with The Model Club in a new shiny stadium its distorting things. Any media outlet that happily reports on how awesome they are will always run the risk of of the other side of them. Hoop loving mate pointed out to me the Herald had bascially **** all about vs Juve but quite quick to highlight the fact a rovers fan was seen dropping a mars bar wrapper in a public place.

We got good press when we hit the playoff round of EuropA but only due to certain media vendors being uhh biased (same for rovers with the herald but other kind of bias).

Media reports on what sells, and a picture of Wayne Rooney sells more than a top of the league dublin derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What area is not within an hour of a LOI club? There are very few areas I'd say. Maybe western parts of Mayo? Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What area is not within an hour of a LOI club? There are very few areas I'd say. Maybe western parts of Mayo? Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else.

I can't see people in West Kerry having any inclination to make the trip into Cork City to support a team from that county on a regular basis. They don't even travel to All Ireland Semi Finals in great numbers FFS and that's their religion.:pac:

Likewise people from Tipp travelling to Waterford, Clare people travelling to Limerick or Galway, Fermanagh people travelling to Monagahan, Kildare/Meath/Offaly/Laois people suddenly developing an affinity for a Dublin team etc etc.

If you think there's a good geographic spread of teams in the LOI around the country, you're sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

flahavaj wrote: »
    I can't see people in West Kerry having any inclination to make the trip into Cork City to support a team from that county on a regular basis. They don't even travel to All Ireland Semi Finals in great numbers FFS and that's their religion.:pac:

Likewise people from Tipp travelling to Waterford, Clare people travelling to Limerick or Galway, Fermanagh people travelling to Monagahan, Kildare/Meath/Offaly/Laois people suddenly developing an affinity for a Dublin team etc etc.

If you think there's a good geographic spread of teams in the LOI around the country, you're sorely mistaken.

Kildare and Kilkenny show that the geographical split is about right, not sure why people from these areas can support a team from Manchester but not one from Cork or Dublin. Ireland is a very strange, selectively nationalist country tbh.

Wexford with a lot of help from Mick Wallace have successfully brought a club through, it'd be great to see teams from every county but most just wont be sustainable and the majority of premiership fans will just move onto their next excuse. It'd be a massive step forward if the likes of Desmond followed in Wallaces footsteps but obviously not going to happen.

bohsman wrote: »
    Kildare and Kilkenny show that the geographical split is about right, not sure why people from these areas can support a team from Manchester but not one from Cork or Dublin. Ireland is a very strange, selectively nationalist country tbh.

Wexford with a lot of help from Mick Wallace have successfully brought a club through, it'd be great to see teams from every county but most just wont be sustainable and the majority of premiership fans will just move onto their next excuse. It'd be a massive step forward if the likes of Desmond followed in Wallaces footsteps but obviously not going to happen.

You'll have some job getting a Kilkennyman to support a team from Cork bai.:pac:

And before you go on a self-righteous rant about English teams, save it for someone who gives a sh*t.

You'll have some job getting a Kilkennyman to support a team from Cork bai.:pac:

And before you go on a self-righteous rant about English teams, save it for someone who gives a sh*t.

wtf? get off your high horse, where in any of my posts have I gone on rants about english teams? I follow the epl aswell.

wtf? get off your high horse, where in any of my posts have I gone on rants about english teams? I follow the epl aswell.

Yawn. Same old sh*t. I have to laugh at an LOI fan accusing anyone of being on a high horse.

• Advertisement

Man your posts contain an awful lot of nonsense.

1) There is a team in the "a championship" from Kerry called Tralee Dynamoes.

2) There are a lot of Shamrock Rovers supporters clubs from Kildare, Midlands etc. and they are not all blow-in dubs that moved to these areas. Most of the ones I know are native to these areas. I'm sure it's the same for other clubs around the country.

3) I think it's more important that the spread of clubs follows the population spread rather than just a geographical spread. It's obvious that there should be more clubs in the east of the country, for example. In this sense, I think there is a pretty good spread.

Please rethink your posts before posting.

Man your posts contain an awful lot of nonsense.

Lose the attitude.
    1) There is a team in the "a championship" from Kerry called Tralee Dynamoes.

There is no First Division/Prem team however.
    2) There are a lot of Shamrock Rovers supporters clubs from Kildare, Midlands etc. and they are not all blow-in dubs that moved to these areas. Most of the ones I know are native to these areas. I'm sure it's the same for other clubs around the country.

If you say so. Not exactly a great way of backing up your point - "I know a few lads from Meath who support Rovers, I bet its the same in Roscommon, Clare and Cavan."
    3) I think it's more important that the spread of clubs follows the population spread rather than just a geographical spread. It's obvious that there should be more clubs in the east of the country, for example. In this sense, I think there is a pretty good spread.

Fair enough point - not sure the amount of clubs that currenty exist in Dublin and the surrounding areas is necessary however.
    Please rethink your posts before posting.

Please rethink your attitude before posting You LOI fellas are a precious little bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

You LOI fellas are a precious little bunch.

Eh, its an LOI thread, on how to improve the league.

There is no First Division/Prem team however.

Think you've proved a fairpoint there, it shows that the Oirish are just glory hunters. If Man Utd played in League One you're saying on your logic that people wouldn't support them?

If you think there's a good geographic spread of
    teams in the LOI around the country, you're sorely mistaken.

Theres no point having a team from every county say, unless the demand and support is there. If you think Kerry, Tipp, Clare or Mayo are hotbeds for "soccer" its simply not true. So no point having a LOI team there.

Ever seen the Navan Bohs flag? There are plenty of people from the surrounds of Dublin who support Dublin teams, their catchment area extends far beyond the bounds of the city, especially for teams like Shamrocks Rovers who have had such an illustrious history.

Aside from all that do you actually have a point or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

• Advertisement

Lose the attitude.

Apologies for the attitude, however you might want to check some of your previous posts (even in this thread alone) before criticizing my attitude.

Post with attitude and you'll get a reply with attitude...

Yawn. Same old sh*t. I have to laugh at an LOI fan accusing anyone of being on a high horse.

I have difficulty seeing how there's a difference between supporting an English team and a team from a different county, the only person with an attitude in this thread is you so dont bother with your pro Pinochet rants, nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I dont know how people come on to a thread that is intended for positive idea's for something that people love and then gets hijacked by some people with negative comments and even then by some who have no interest in the league itsself. Its systematic of the problems with the League itself. People who dont even go to games or support teams are ready to give it abuse and lash into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No they are not in Dublin anyway may explain a few things. A lot people up in the big smoke wont let their kids play GAA (myself included) some will thats their choice but for arguments sake my kids u10s and other kids u7s none of the kids play GAA. Get the odd weirdo who does tho.

Why would you not let you kid play gaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

After seeing the amount of rovers fans wearing united jerseys today I think it's time these were banned from the ground.

The amount of LOI fans moaning about the united v airtricity league recently then the same fans turn up to watch their own team wearing united jerseys

truly bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Think you've proved a fairpoint there, it shows that the Oirish are just glory hunters. If Man Utd played in League One you're saying on your logic that people wouldn't support them?

I'm sure there is an LSL / UCFL / AUL team closer to your doorstep than Tolka park. Does that not make you a glory hunter also? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sure there is an LSL / UCFL / AUL team closer to your doorstep than Tolka park. Does that not make you a glory hunter also? :)

Check out his location, hes just confused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not letting your child play GAA is a futile exercise imo.

I can't imagine how enforcing your own beliefs or issues with the GAA on children will help anything.

Best team experiences I ever had were playing for the local GAA team.

I prefer soccer but everything about it in terms of training, comradery etc was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    Not letting your child play GAA is a futile exercise imo.

I can't imagine how enforcing your own beliefs or issues with the GAA on children will help anything.

Best team experiences I ever had were playing for the local GAA team.

I prefer soccer but everything about it in terms of training, comradery etc was excellent.

GAA is a pretty cool game to play, particularly when you're playing it at any sort of decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gin, and lots of it.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Suppose Crumlin Utd would be closer, but I wasn't brought to see them by my dad in Harolds Cross when I was a few months old to see a Pats -v- Shels derby.;) Oh and my first season ticket was the 1st season we were in the 1st Division.:D
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Check out his location, hes just confused :D

Dad is a bogger, moved to Rathmines back in the day and Shels played in Harolds Cross at the time along with one of his mates he worked with.

On a side note, with a couple of people mentioning an All-Ireland league, where in hell are the northern teams getting their money from? They're attracting a fair few players up from the republic. Tony Grant and Gavin Whelan are on 800 sterling a week if rumour is to be believed. Trevor Molloy and Ger Rowe are up there and Danny O'Connor has only recently come back from Newry.

Maybe I'm wrong, but their crowds seem even more pathetic than ours, usually and the facilities don't look all that good either.

ntlbell wrote: »
    After seeing the amount of rovers fans wearing united jerseys today I think it's time these were banned from the ground.

The amount of LOI fans moaning about the united v airtricity league recently then the same fans turn up to watch their own team wearing united jerseys

truly bizarre.
    Spoofer

4871707453_43920f6b53_b.jpg

Seriously, get a life, your pretending to be an LOI fan has got old

So you're saying there was no rovers fans in united jerseys?

Would you like to put a wager on it?

In fairness, if I went to a Man U match, I'd probly wear me Drogheda jersey!:D

CiaranC wrote: »
    Spoofer

There were a lot of Utd jerseys at the game today, makes sense with Charity shield on after, dont see any problem with people supporting an English team aswell as an Irish one tho.

Im saying you are a spoofer who likes to come on here making stuff up to get a reaction.

Im sure there were a few neutrals and locals along for the derby before heading to the pub, whats the problem with that?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im saying you are a spoofer who likes to come on here making stuff up to get a reaction.

so you wont put your money where your mouth is?

Who's spoofing now..

Just no. If you were to take that argument to the nth drgree then the vast majority of LOI fans would be glory hunters as there's probably plenty junior clubs closer to them.

Argument with militant LOI-heads is pointless at the best of times, not sure why I bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just no. If you were to take that argument to the nth drgree then the vast majority of LOI fans would be glory hunters as there's probably plenty junior clubs closer to them.

Argument with militant LOI-heads is pointless at the best of times, not sure why I bothered.
    Please don't in future.

Advertisement