Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank recommendations - pros and cons

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I'm looking for bank recommendations. We are moving to Headford next week. I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or the one about money, but will assume it'll get moved if it is in the wrong place.

I'm coming from Germany, so I'm not sure how the banks work. I assume I will pay a fee if I use an ATM from a bank other than my own. Is the Bank of Ireland the only one in Headford? I'll be working in Galway City at the Dangan Business Park. Maybe it is better to have one with more branches near there. I don't necessarily have to do much banking inside the physical bank, as I assume I can do most things online. Which banks have lower fees for that sort of thing? I'll need an account for our salaries and a savings as well.

Will my passport suffice to open an account (I am American)? Or a lease? The internet and phone lines will have been set up when we arrive, perhaps that counts as a utility bill. I also have a job contract.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You need proof of address and your passport for ID. You will also need your PPS number.

Ulster Bank has an account with no ATM withdrawal fees, so you could take money out at any ATM it wouldn't need to be an Ulster Bank one. http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/costcomparisons/cs_tab_personal_current_account.htm says that the PTSB has an account like this too, but when we applied for it we were denied the no-fee account because we didn't earn enough :rolleyes:

There are two main debit cards in use in Ireland: Visa Debit (Ulster Bank has this one) and Laser (Bank of Ireland has this one). Laser is not as widely accepted outside of Ireland, so buying stuff online you're better off with the Visa Debit. Other banks obviously have one or the other, mainly, but I've only banked with Bank of Ireland, the now defunct Post Bank and Ulster Bank. I have to say I'm happiest with Ulster Bank's day to day banking, although I miss Post Bank's savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I would recommend putting your savings in a Credit Union. They are owned by the members of the Union, and work to get their members a better rate and deals - rather than looking after the shareholders interests in a large bank.

My €0.02 :)

+1 for Xineys link http://www.itsyourmoney.ie great site for information.

Go for a branch that is near where you work as they aren't open outside of Monday - Friday 10-4 usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Like Xiney said, a bill in your name at your new address and passport should suffice.
    Once you're in the banking system you can change banks/branches etc as you like, the trick is getting the first account set up.

The peeps in the Banking forum will have good recommendations.
    I'm with PTSB and do everything online. Not sure about the costs but it didn't put me off from switching from BoI to PTSB.

Besides from previous links check out http://www.uchoose.ie/compare-current-accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahfancy

THanks everyone, the links are really useful. I have to say, I thought Germany was bad on opening hours, but 10-4 is pretty bad. I guess I won't be using the bank much anyway except to open an account. I assume most transactions can be done online and my pay will come through direct deposit.

Now, a very basic question. Where does one get a PPS number? How long does it take? I was hoping I could open an account on the Monday after I get there before my husband heads back to Germany to sort a few things out. Might have to wait otherwise.

• Advertisement

PPSN (PPS it is sometimes called) number information.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/ppsnindex.aspx read the relevant info there.

Make sure you bring ALL of the relevant documentation with you, and to be safe bring more than you need if you know what I mean.

It always takes a bit of a wait in the office in Galway to speak to an official, give your self enough time 2-4 hours sometimes if it is really busy. It is boring but necessary.

When you go in you need to get a ticket from the machine with a number on and then wait your turn via the screens. I bring a book and music with me. :)

BTW if you choose either Bank of Ireland or AIB as your current account bank, you can do a good bit of daily banking nearly all Post Offices too. Don't know if you can do this with the other commercial banks.

Ok, thanks for the link, Charlie. So I need another ID on top of my passport? My driver's license still has my name on it before I got married (Germans don't change their license).

I'll just e-mail them and hope someone answers. I don't know which order to actually do things in. I'M supposed to be getting a Green Card, so I am not sure whether I need to go to the Gardai first or the other way around.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sarahfancy wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for the link, Charlie. So I need another ID on top of my passport? My driver's license still has my name on it before I got married (Germans don't change their license).

I'll just e-mail them and hope someone answers. I don't know which order to actually do things in. I'M supposed to be getting a Green Card, so I am not sure whether I need to go to the Gardai first or the other way around.

Thanks!

If some of your ID is in your unmarried name, bring your marriage certificate with you as well.

Ireland doesn't have Green Cards per say... do you mean a Stamp 4? If so you get this from the Gardai.

Ah, of course. Bringing my marriage certificate makes sense.

It actually is a Green Card:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/migrant-workers/employment-permits/green_card_permits

I take I should get the PPS number after I have my work permit, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't expect it to be a painless transition :( The German efficiency has not reached these shores yet.
    A lot of things still require you go somewhere and get signatures, then go somewhere else for more signatures, stamps etc.

PPSN is PPS Number - it is just the way some people say it. They are the same thing.

Assuming you are a EU citizen (have EU passport):

For the PPSN application you need BOTH
    • EU Passport OR National Identity Card (if you country has one, preferably with a photo)
    • Evidence of address in Ireland

The following are acceptable evidence of address:
    Household utility bill,
    Official letter/document,
    Financial statement,
    Property lease or tenancy agreement,
    Verified employers letter.

All documents must show the applicant’s name and address.

The above is all taken from http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/HowToApply.aspx

If you have both the Passport and an National Identity Card then I would bring both to be extra safe.

As biko said, there is some travelling to be done to various places - they will tell you where at the application office.

The office in galway is here
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/swlo_galway.aspx

I'm not an EU citizen, I'm American (which is why I need the Green card),but my husband is. I guess I will see what they say. I assume my employer will give me some direction as well.

I'll have something from Eircom anyway right away, so that should be fine.

I'm not an EU citizen, I'm American (which is why I need the Green card),but my husband is. I guess I will see what they say. I assume my employer will give me some direction as well.

In that case you need:

Passport or Certificate of Registration with Department of Justice, Equality & Law Reform (Immigration Card)

I'm not usually this helpful, just bored today :D

Ah, I can appreciate boredom, and helpfulness!

I actually don't have time to be sitting on the computer. I still have to pack half a house to move to Ireland...

So the immigration card I will get pretty much right away. I assume my green card will be available soon after I arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Once you're provided with papers authorising you to work within the state then your immigration card will also do as an acceptable form of ID for a PPS.

And welcome to Ireland, SF!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It will take a few (2-3?) weeks to get the PPS number (and no, you cannot apply before you get here). Until you get this, you will not be able to open a bank account. Once you get it, it will take a little time to open the bank account. So expect to not have an Irish bank account for the first month or more.

A tip for Welfare: turn up at the office about 3:50pm. Lots of folks just give up and go home, so the queues move pretty fast then. And the nice Welfare staff promise to deal with anyone who's inside when they close the doors at 4.

Re garda immigration: there was a story a couple of months back that people were linking up at 4am ('cos the office was understaffed, and the don't promise to see everyone the day they turn up). I'm not sure if it's still that way, but it certainly was. ("garda" = police).

Another thing: as soon as you get the PPS number, give it to your employer AND go to www.revenue.ie and fill in a Form 12a and send it to Revenue. Your employer may try to be helpful and say they'll do all the paperwork for you, but really Revenue do need you to fill in the form. Make sure you include details of your income in Ireland, and the fact that you haven't been working here before now, and how long you intend to stay (number of years).

Biko's post was nicely diplomatic, but very, very true. Get used to the idea of taking a ticket and joining the queue (= English/Irish word for a line of people). Expect to find the process of getting set up in the system here, umm, troublesome. But luckily many folks here have been through it, so there's lots of good advice.

biko wrote: »
    Don't expect it to be a painless transition :( The German efficiency has not reached these shores yet.
    A lot of things still require you go somewhere and get signatures, then go somewhere else for more signatures, stamps etc.

Aah, biko, but Germans are also very fond of their stamps and paperwork. I'm ready for it. I just haven't had to go through these processes in a while since I have been in Germany since 1992, basically.

I guess there is a lot more infrastructure here. I notice that when I look at things like bus/tram schedules online here and don't find much there.

JustMary wrote: »
    It will take a few (2-3?) weeks to get the PPS number (and no, you cannot apply before you get here). Until you get this, you will not be able to open a bank account. Once you get it, it will take a little time to open the bank account. So expect to not have an Irish bank account for the first month or more.

A tip for Welfare: turn up at the office about 3:50pm. Lots of folks just give up and go home, so the queues move pretty fast then. And the nice Welfare staff promise to deal with anyone who's inside when they close the doors at 4.

Re garda immigration: there was a story a couple of months back that people were linking up at 4am ('cos the office was understaffed, and the don't promise to see everyone the day they turn up). I'm not sure if it's still that way, but it certainly was. ("garda" = police).

Another thing: as soon as you get the PPS number, give it to your employer AND go to www.revenue.ie and fill in a Form 12a and send it to Revenue. Your employer may try to be helpful and say they'll do all the paperwork for you, but really Revenue do need you to fill in the form. Make sure you include details of your income in Ireland, and the fact that you haven't been working here before now, and how long you intend to stay (number of years).

Biko's post was nicely diplomatic, but very, very true. Get used to the idea of taking a ticket and joining the queue (= English/Irish word for a line of people). Expect to find the process of getting set up in the system here, umm, troublesome. But luckily many folks here have been through it, so there's lots of good advice.

Thanks Mary, that is a very good tip about coming in the late afternoon. I just assumed I had to have the PPS number before I could start work. I guess I only need it before they pay me?

Those queues are long here as well, and offices are only open (especially those with civil servants in them) for about 2 hours a day, it seems. I guess I will have to plan a lot of time in for such things. Good thing I won't have furniture or any of that until the 23rd! I have no idea how I will entertain the kids while waiting in various offices though. I suppose people are a bit more tolerant of children in Ireland? Germany is notorious for being child unfriendly -- one of the reasons I've had enough.

Advertisement