Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help wiring a phone socket

• 05-08-2010 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I need to wire my phone line to this socket but have no idea where to begin.
    The wire coming out of the wall has orange, green, blue and brown wires.
    Do I screw them into the empt holes in the socket, or should they join up with the existing wires some how?

Appreciate any help!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jessica C

Thank you - I have taken a look at the posting but I'm afraid that I am much more of a lost cause...
    On the picture I uploaded above, I dont even know which part of the socket the wires go into.
    Any advice, other than to hire someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

If you look at the cable coming out of the wall you take the blue and the blue/white cable and strip back about 8mm of the insulation from the end.

Take a pencil, biro or something and form a small loop/circle at the end of the cable (form the exposed copper).

Then take a screwdriver and remove the screw holding down the red wire (bottom right) on the socket you have. Feed the blue cable through from the back of the socket and put back the screw and trap the read and the blue cables together.

Do the same with the blue/white cable and the green terminal (bottom left).

Then plug in a phone and check for a dial tone before you screw it all back to the wall.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jessica C

Really appreciate you taking the time to help - I will tackle it in the morning.
    Thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just to add to what doubtfir3 said, the blue and orange wires are what you'll probably use in this case. You can connect blue to red or green and the same with orange, it won't matter.

There's a chance green or brown could be used but probably the easiest thing to do is to plug in a phone into the socket, and touch any two wires to a red and green terminal each. Listen to the phone while you're doing this and you'll know it's working fine when you hear a dial tone. Good luck, and if you're confused about anything just ask and we'll clarify!

• Advertisement
Advertisement