Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on AGS

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Over the last few years, I've been on the look out for books on AGS. There seems to be not a huge amount available on the organisation..
    Here are some I have:
    The Sherriff by Gerry O Carroll

An Garda Siochana and the Scotts Medal by Gill & Macmillan

The Garda Siochana 1922 to Present by Greg Allen

Wondering if anyone can add a recommend more titles to this list and if possible, rate same

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Cocaine Wars, while not specifically about the Gardaí, describes the role of the Gardaí in trying to end the activities of drugs gangs in Crumlin and Drimnagh.

Paul Williams inevitably discusses much the same in his books.

Conor Brady wrote a history of the Gardaí to the mid 1970s (I think)

I also recall a book by a former ban Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

klong wrote: »
    Cocaine Wars, while not specifically about the Gardaí, describes the role of the Gardaí in trying to end the activities of drugs gangs in Crumlin and Drimnagh.

Paul Williams inevitably discusses much the same in his books.

Conor Brady wrote a history of the Gardaí to the mid 1970s (I think)

I also recall a book by a former ban Garda.

Thanks klong.
    I've read Cocaine Wars, not a bad read.
    Also have read most of Paul Williams books, again, quite good.
    Have you read Conor Bradys book?
    Heard the book by ex-banner isn't great but I haven't read it so I'm open to correction by someone who has.
    There seems to be plenty of reading on Irish Army etc, but limited publications on AGS, anyone know why this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

kensey wrote: »
    There seems to be plenty of reading on Irish Army etc, but limited publications on AGS, anyone know why this is?

Everyone is waiting for Deadwood to publish his life story - that will wipe the competition out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jim05

Tim Doyle's 2 books on his life in the guards- Get up them steps and Peaks and Valleys
    Don't know where you could get them though

@ delancey42...

A best seller no doubt!! Move over Amanda Brunker! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks jim05. Do u know have they been published long? As in, do you think they might still be in print?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I had the misfortune of reading that book by the female member of the force. I read it to the end, in the hope of a gripping finale. Alas, she lived.

Thanks! You have confirmed what I've heard before, saving me time and expense!
    wexfjord wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of reading that book by the female member of the force. I read it to the end, in the hope of a gripping finale. Alas, she lived.

wexfjord wrote: »

Absolutely everyone I know who read that book says it is utter shyte - it still generated a fair bit of publicity when it published. What makes it so awful ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

delancey42 wrote: »
    Absolutely everyone I know who read that book says it is utter shyte - it still generated a fair bit of publicity when it published. What makes it so awful ?

I dont know it was amusing in places, stuff about old groping garda at the quarry and the PDF looking at here having a pee using the Steyr scopes.

If you knew no female garda and were an eejit you could easily get the wrong impression of AGS.

The book on the CAB I found very good I cant recall the name of it, its in a box upstairs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I just started this book today. Coincidence! Have to say I'm gripped already.

Anyways, carry on... :D

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I just started this book today. Coincidence! Have to say I'm gripped already.

Anyways, carry on... :D

If you like cocaine wars, you'd love Gerry O Carrolls book "Sheriff - A Detectives Story", highly recommended if I may say so!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Mary O Connors book is rubbish, Paul Williams are accurate as he has good sources.

If you can get a copy of "Black Operations, the secret war aginst the real IRA" it's a very good read and a lot of the material is from court records and retired officers who were heavily involved in the investigations.

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Mary O Connors book is rubbish, Paul Williams are accurate as he has good sources.

If you can get a copy of "Black Operations, the secret war aginst the real IRA" it's a very good read and a lot of the material is from court records and retired officers who were heavily involved in the investigations.

Thanks mcgarrett.
    Do u happen to know who the author is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

If you like cocaine wars, you'd love Gerry O Carrolls book "Sheriff - A Detectives Story", highly recommended if I may say so!

+1 on the sheriff, a great read and some very high profile cases, can seem to be a bit of a history lecture at times, but on the whole a great read.

shakin wrote: »
    +1 on the sheriff, a great read and some very high profile cases, can seem to be a bit of a history lecture at times, but on the whole a great read.

Is a good read though for reasons one can only speculate on he does leave out some important details on a couple of cases. Perhaps sensitivity toward family members of victims ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Is a good read though for reasons one can only speculate on he does leave out some important details on a couple of cases. Perhaps sensitivity toward family members of victims ?

Well i wouldnt know what he left out, i found it good, he has dealt with some very high profile cases, been a few years since i read it so its not too fresh in the mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Thanks mcgarrett.
    Do u happen to know who the author is?

John Mooney and Michael O Toole, not sure if its easily available in bookshops but may be available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I think myself it could be because he had, to my mind, a "robust" interrogating style, and he makes no apologies for it in his book.

He was involved in the Sallins Train Robbery investigation as well as the Kerry Babies case; the Gardaí didn't come out of either smeling of roses.

I think myself it could be because he had, to my mind, a "robust" interrogating style, and he makes no apologies for it in his book.

He was involved in the Sallins Train Robbery investigation as well as the Kerry Babies case; the Gardaí didn't come out of either smeling of roses.

True. Was involved in the Veronica Guerin investigation also. As regards the garda PR post Kerry Babies Case and Sallins Train Robbery, he doesn't try to butter it up. He explains very well the reasons why and his own personal opinions on it. Also his opinions on custody and interview regulations. Taking into account his reasons why, it's hard to disagree with him. Best book I've read in a while actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

@ delancey42...

A best seller no doubt!! Move over Amanda Brunker! :D
    I've got bigger boobs.

She's written more books than she's read.

deadwood wrote: »
    I've got bigger boobs.

She's written more books than she's read.

Some nice illustrations to be expected so!

Advertisement