Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IASE Trail Blazers - Dublin to Belmullet

• 05-08-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am taking part in a two day cycle form Dublin to Belmullet :eek: on the 19th and 20th August to raise awareness of Supported Employment for people with disabilities. I have two questions!

Firstly, anyone know the best route out of Dublin towards the west avoiding Moterway/Dual carriage way. We are leaving from Pheonix Park and first stopover in in Longford. Anyone out there headed out that way and avoided such roads?

Secondly, I am very new to cycling and have a hybrid (Halfords GT ZUM S1) rather than a road bike like most of the other in the group. Will I struggle to achieve this distance on such a bike? Bearing in mind it is not a race and there is plenty of time allowed on each day to reach our destinations. Maybe it is just pre cycle jitters!

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use Google Maps walking directions to plan anything like this. Just drag it around to avoid the main roads. Note the second, longer option it has there is on substantially smaller roads but does not go anywhere near Longford (you could stop in Ballinasloe or maybe Moylough.)

If you don't mind N roads later on and want to take the direct route via Longford you just want to avoid the N3 going out of Dublin which is very unpleasant. There is a good route out to Summerhill in Meath from the back of the park which I have dragged for you here. Note that these sort of back road routes are a hell of a lot easier with a GPS as there is little signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Thanks for that! i will look at route options using that!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Ok! So I have a route to get us to Longford thanks to blorg for pointing me to google maps!

Anyone got any opinions about the bike choice and suitability for this challenge? Are you all road bike users here? I cycle at an average of 14 MPH at the mo. Would a road bike increase that MPH or is it more about the person than the bike! Nerves getting to me now!

Advertisement