Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semolina in Apple Tarts

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I've never made this very simple and very Irish tart so I thought it's about time I gave it a go. I've looked at a few recipies and some put semolina on the bottom of the tart before you add the apples so I'm just wondering why you would use this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The semolina absorbs juice from the apples during cooking, prevening the pastry bottom from becoming soggy. You can also use toasted breadcrumbs or cake crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have heard of some people par-baking the crust first, just the lower bit, then stick apples in and the top pastry, I think something might also be done to the lower crust to stop it absorbing any more moisture. I think some also par cook the apples or dry them out somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Blind-baking the bottom is a very good idea. The other step you may be thinking of to create a barrier is after blind-baking the base, to egg-wash it and then return it to the oven for 5 minutes to create a seal.

How to prepare the apples depends on the apple tart, of which there exist many variations. In this case, they can be diced and cooked in butter, sugar and spices until soft, then baked as a filling. An uncooked option is to toss the raw apple chunks with sugar, spices and cornflour and let them macerate in a colander at room temperature for a half hour. The sugar will draw out the apple juice and hydrate the cornflour slightly. The drained juices are then reduced and added back to the apples, which can then be baked as a filling.

The main point is that excess moisture will ruin your tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Well I made it over the weekend using a little semolina on the base and it was perfect. I did get a little fright when the top got very brown after 10 minutes in the oven at 180c so I just turned it down to 130c for about 30min to cook the apples and it came out perfect in the end.

Advertisement