Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 trouble sending text messages on Three

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 from Three when they released it last Friday. It arrived Tuesday and they ported my number from O2.

But I have been unable to send text messages. Everything else works fine, make/receive calls, 3G data, and I can receive text message, but not send. It just says message sending failure.

I have been talking to Three's technical support 3 times. They told me to reset network settings and reset phone settings, but to no avail. All iOS and carrier settings updates have been installed.

Is anyone else having this issue or seen it before? Or any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

9thbit wrote: »
    I recently purchased an iPhone 4 from Three when they released it last Friday. It arrived Tuesday and they ported my number from O2.

But I have been unable to send text messages. Everything else works fine, make/receive calls, 3G data, and I can receive text message, but not send. It just says message sending failure.

I have been talking to Three's technical support 3 times. They told me to reset network settings and reset phone settings, but to no avail. All iOS and carrier settings updates have been installed.

Is anyone else having this issue or seen it before? Or any advice?

Thanks!

If you give your settings here we might be able to help you. Specifically, what is the SMSC (Message Centre) set up in your phone? For 3, it should be +353830000800 or else it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 9thbit

spoonface wrote: »
    If you give your settings here we might be able to help you. Specifically, what is the SMSC (Message Centre) set up in your phone? For 3, it should be +353830000800 or else it won't work.

Sorry, yes I was able to dial *#5005*7672# and it shows +353830000800 as the SMSC. Reported this to Three technichal support and they said it is the correct one too.

One of the tech guys I was talking to said to dial ##002# and then #330*0000# to reset some network settings as well, but that did not work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 .stranger

are you replying to messages or creating a new one when it fails to send? If you are replying it could pick the SMSC number from the message header not from the SIM. Another option, try to reset carrier setting, but I think you have done that already.

.stranger wrote: »
    are you replying to messages or creating a new one when it fails to send? If you are replying it could pick the SMSC number from the message header not from the SIM. Another option, try to reset carrier setting, but I think you have done that already.

yup, i've tried both replying to a text message and creating a new one. carrier settings have been reset multiple time followed by multiple soft resets and hard resets but still no luck. thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 appleman2112

did you get any further with this?
    I'm having the same problem and three tech support told me that this hadn't happened to anyone else so it's good to know that support at 3 hasn't changed at all!
    I am managing to send texts from some locations (at home last night), but can't from others so it appears to me to be a cell/relay problem of some sorts.
    Would be good to get a resolution....but it did take them 4 days to port my number so am not too hopeful

• Advertisement

@appleman2112 yes, sorry I forgot to post back here when I resolved the issue.

I am able to send texts now, but only after 6 calls to tech support. It was passed from the normal tech support to 'level 2 iPhone support', then after their steps failed, it was passed to 'Higher level technical support' I was told. Which is a dept that you don't get to talk to. They resolved the issue in the end and rang me just a few minutes ago to explain what the problem was. They said there was a problem with o2 when they ported my number and that my texts were being routed through o2 which was why they were failing.

So it was something on their end anyway that I couldn't do anything about. Just so you know, it was not an intermittant problem, I just plain couldn't send texts at all. So if you are able to send them at times and not at other times, then I suspect it is a different issue.

This might help you though: the steps they ran me through before escallating it were to
    1. Reset network settings in iphone.
    2. Dial ##002# which resets some routing settings.
    3. Dial #330*0000# which resets some other settings.
    4. Check your message center number by dialing *#5005*7672# For 3, it should be +353830000800 afaik.

I hope that helps you and maybe others anyway.

Thanks but the problem persists. Very odd did get call back from 3 which was nice and they have credited me €15 so far for problems (if they carry on might get back the cost of the phone!) but to be honest just would like it to work. If I do get a fix I will post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pablo scholes

@appleman, just wondering did you get anywhere with this, i seem to have the same problem bought the phone 3 days ago and the only thing that wont work is sedning messages, like you this has been escalated and waiting to hear from them but its annoying me now at this stage!

@appleman, just wondering did you get anywhere with this, i seem to have the same problem bought the phone 3 days ago and the only thing that wont work is sedning messages, like you this has been escalated and waiting to hear from them but its annoying me now at this stage!

Hi Pablo,
    I would suggest ringing tech support, and ask to be transfered to 'level 2 iphone support'. I got through to a few dublin based guys and they were extremely helpful. They were the ones who eventually got it sorted for me. They said there was a technical issue with some ports from o2, but didn't give any more details than that.

They actually called me back giving me updates, unlike the front line tech guys who never did.

2nd that. I am now sending texts. As I was able to send whilst connected to the 3G network, but not while connected to the 2G I knew it was something at 3's end and after daily phone calls for 2 weeks they managed to get it sorted.
    Still no explanation, but at least it works.
    Good luck getting yours sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pablo scholes

thanks for that,havnt heard back from them in a couple if days gonna have to ring them again tnow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

2nd that. I am now sending texts. As I was able to send whilst connected to the 3G network, but not while connected to the 2G I knew it was something at 3's end and after daily phone calls for 2 weeks they managed to get it sorted.
    Still no explanation, but at least it works.
    Good luck getting yours sorted

Happens to me all the time everyday. Three are just a bad network I think

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

I'm still having this problem after 4 phone calls. They promised to ring me back, that was 2 weeks ago lol. Gonna call again tomorrow.

Advertisement