Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Do believe Im booked and on my way on the 9th of Oct! anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

eightyfish wrote:
    We intend to rent a serviced apartment for a week out in suburbia to get our bearings. Takes a week to get tax number so we'll use that time to find work somewhere. Looking at regional work initially, preferably south of Sydney.
    That sounds pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Zambia232 wrote: »
    That sounds pricey

How much is it to rent an apartment approx. Heading over to Sydney in Oct, meeting up with a few people so there will be enough of us to rent an apartment between us. There will be 6 of us.

Also @eightyfish, can you not get your tax file number before you go. Think the place Im going for my Visa sorts out tax numbers too. Unless you have to do something when you get over Im unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Zambia232 wrote: »
    That sounds pricey

It's actually cheaper than a hostel.
    Slunk wrote: »
    How much is it to rent an apartment approx. Heading over to Sydney in Oct, meeting up with a few people so there will be enough of us to rent an apartment between us. There will be 6 of us.

Also @eightyfish, can you not get your tax file number before you go. Think the place Im going for my Visa sorts out tax numbers too. Unless you have to do something when you get over Im unaware of.

We found one for about $600 for the week, but it's a 2 person apartment and cheaper than a 2-person room in a hostel (that I can find). Not sure if larger apartments are cheaper than large dorms.

TFN takes a week and you can only apply when you get there AFAIK.

Usit and a few others offer a tax number in the visa/insurance packages.
    Hopefully we can get an apt between us cheap enough. Anyone got any good sites for looking for apts in sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hopefully we can get an apt between us cheap enough. Anyone got any good sites for looking for apts in sydney?

Seriously guys its much cheaper to do everthing yourself and you will have to fill out the exact same information to get it through USIT or any other similar agency. Just check out the Stickys in this forum or googel it and you will find all the information to do it yourself.

• Advertisement

Oh Im not going through USIT, was just using this as an example regarding the tax number before you get there ;)

Doc wrote: »
    Seriously guys its much cheaper to do everthing yourself

Agreed. It's easy, too.
    Anyone got any good sites for looking for apts in sydney?

Manly. It's a peninsula suburb about 30 mins from Sydney by ferry. Really nice area. Accommodation is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Gumtree is an option for finding a place, also letting/rental agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Yep heading to Melbourne 5th October, can't wait. Flights booked, accommodation setup, car sold, moved home to save money.

Trying to save money while on the dole isn't easy, but hopefylly good times lay ahead :D

it's not meant to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 claire*

hey there

headin out in march, how much do ye reckon ud need goin out for a year? saving not goin wel at the moment!!

• Advertisement

Sorry claire but I dont really know your needs. Heres the thing have you booked tickets and sorted the visa for march?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 delljm

bobbi wrote: »
    Heading to Oz on the 25th August

Checked in to a hostel for 2 weeks after that hope for the best!

Going on my tod too

Hope you have a great trip :)

exact same as boat as u except i'm headin over a week before ya! wingin the whole accommodation stint so if i hear of anywhere that's not great or the like i'll post up here!

delljm wrote: »
    exact same as boat as u except i'm headin over a week before ya! wingin the whole accommodation stint so if i hear of anywhere that's not great or the like i'll post up here!

Do. We should keep this thread running as we're all starting out in the same few weeks. 11 days to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

claire* wrote: »
    hey there

headin out in march, how much do ye reckon ud need goin out for a year? saving not goin wel at the moment!!

They say $5000 is the requirement but this is not often checked, to be honest you probably need that and more to get yourself going. Not much of a holiday when your flat broke.

The Au $$ is still pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

4 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Three weeks and six days! Wahoo!! Out of curiosity has anyone heading round then actually done anything to get ready to go?! I bought a rucksack that's about it.

il count my days now!
    what date are you going oct what?

i dont have my rucksack yet haha

or changed my money..

or got travel insurance.

all in sweet time

I'm flyin to nz on the fifth of October. Haven't changed money, spoke to the bank they said give them a weeks notice so that's cool. As regards travel insurance, is that a necessity?! Hadn't really looked into that one! What sort of price are we talking?

150 if you have health insurance already

how much did you pay for your bag?

im goin on the 9th of oct.

31 days!

Its gone down in recent weeks, was 1.43, today its at 1.38. Hope it doesnt drop any further. Will be changing a few thousand in the coming weeks

• Advertisement

2 days! I'm heading on Friday. Last day in work today. Can't bloody wait.

yaaaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

king-stew wrote: »
    Can i just say to all, im just back from dublin-LA-Tahiti-NZ-sydney-hong kong and by far the worst place was sydney, we only spend 5 days there but we were bored! it was just like any other city with nothing to do! I know others will disagree but that was our view on it for what its worth!

I definitely preferred Melbourne but to say there's nothing to do in Sydney is just ridiculous. Where were you looking?

shakencat wrote: »
    150 if you have health insurance already

how much did you pay for your bag?

im goin on the 9th of oct.

31 days!

Hmm have no health insurance atm. Does it cover you for the total period while there? Don't think I'll bother tbh.

Bag cost me £100 sterling. Seems to be decent quality, 65 litre sack with a 15 litre one that zips onto it. Also comes with suitcase wheels which will be handy for airports etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aido06

cool 2 days left in ireland, cant wait everything sorted first week on bondi beach. but im hearing from my brother to get out of bondi, its a costly spot. any advice where to go from thier, im open to offer???

anyone flying out saturday by chance...

Best of luck to you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

C0N0R wrote: »
    Hmm have no health insurance atm. Does it cover you for the total period while there? Don't think I'll bother tbh.

That would be a mistake. You can always chance it but then again, there's always the chance you'll need thousands of dollars worth of medical attention.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That would be a mistake. You can always chance it but then again, there's always the chance you'll need thousands of dollars worth of medical attention.

Reckon ur right, where is the best place to get some? Scratch that, where does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

conor when i was inter railing i used http://www.blueinsurance.ie/ they were great im not sure how much it will be for a year insurance in australia.

I went through usit.ie paid 400 euro for 1 year travel insurance,1 year working holiday visa,oz sim card with 10 dollars,oz bank account and oz tax file number.

id say travel insurance on its own wouldent cost more than 200 for a year i could be wrong though just a rough guess give blue a ring there pretty decent.

Grace ya excited! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Its gone down in recent weeks, was 1.43, today its at 1.38. Hope it doesnt drop any further. Will be changing a few thousand in the coming weeks

is it just me or had the australian dollar been getting stronger like everyday? its 1.37 today and was like 2.00 a year or so ago :rolleyes:

thinking of getting some now for january!

Advertisement