Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8 or iphone 4

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Bit of advice/discussion needed.

Im just after wearing out my n95 and have a b^stard LG cookie thing to tide me over till my next big spend. Im on meteor prepay and rarely spend over 20 euro a month on credit.

Now my question is this, should I bite the bullet and head to 02 and sign my life away or hold out for the rather sexual looking n8 and buy it sim free, which from what im hearing is going to be somewhere in region of 370 yoyos.

The nokia looks savage and im comfortable with them, thing is I have ipod touch and anything else touchscreen ive used has felt very slow and unresponsive compared. Anyone have any exp. with nokia high end touchscreens?

Im happy enough on meteor, wouldn't put me up or down changing network, but going to bill pay might hurt, I pay my own sky bill and internet and am usually late with the sky, internets ok. The 02 40 yoyos 18 month contract looks ok.

What would YOU do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

im using a nokia n97 at the moment, at first it was the biggest piece of crap that i ever bought due to it freezing all the time and other bugs in the SW.
    after the updates the phone does not freese at all i think its the dogs b*ll*x compared to the iphone or other phones due to the free maps&navigation imo.(also my mate uses a nokia touch screen so we transfer vids&music alot via bluetooth)
    i can also get an iphone 3gs or iphone 4 as an upgrade for nothing but im holding out for the N8 as well;) here is a link to the nokia store in italy with prices and specs. http://shop.nokia.it/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10507_10104_-4_80000493

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Look at the Samsung Wave S8500. The screen is amazing in both how it looks and works with touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Looks like a nice phone, samsung have possibly best screen tech available so thats no surprise, but samsung conjures up images of that ted baker piece of sh1t I got my gf a year back, terrible yolk to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

samsung dont have brilliant screens compared to other manufacturers lmao...

their average...every ones making this big fuzz about the galaxy and wave and their amoled screens...well their not the only ones that have em...

+++ samsungs have terrible build quality on their phones...

lol well based on my signature not gonna tell ya to get the iPhone 4...it has some issues too...not gonna name them all im sure if u search this forum ull find plenty aswell as google will show u the same...but dont get nokia N8 straight off...watch atleast 10 reviews of the phone written and video...even though having nice spec...i do predict that its gonna be one bad ass slow laggy phone if Nokia hasnt tweaked the symbian software properly on this phone too...

though well see with the new symbian...i would tell ya to hold it off for a bit on both phones...dont make a mistake of rushing buying a phone..especially if its a high end one!

• Advertisement

their average...every ones making this big fuzz about the galaxy and wave and their amoled screens...well their not the only ones that have em...

I read a lot of reviews before getting my Wave, on many different sites written by many different people, and they all had two things in common - they ALL disagreed with you in the strongest possible way, giving very high praise to the build quality and the display.

There 'are' other devices like the Nexus with AMOLED screens, that is true, but none of them have the Super AMOLED screen Samsung have put into the Wave and Galaxy, because Samsung make the screens and probably are keeping their best tech for their own devices.

If you don't believe me, take a look at this side by side comparison of a Wave and a Nexus One:

Samsung-Wave-S8500-Google-Nexus-One.jpg

There are more images comparing the wave to even Samsungs own Jet, which has an excellent AMOLED screen: http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/02/14/display-wars-samsung-wave-super-amoled-vs-google-nexus-one-nokia-x6-samsung-s8000/

One big difference between the Super AMOLED displays is they are actually visible in direct sunlight - a drawback with normal AMOLEDs. They have been compared side by side with the iPhone 4 in direct sunlight and are slightly better than even that display

The Wave and the Galaxy both have the best displays currently available on a phone - period.

And as for the build quality, read the reviews below and weep.

The Samsung Wave morphs a mid-range feature phone into fully fledged smartphone thanks to the new open-source Bada OS. The Wave possesses excellent build quality, an outstanding display, great multimedia capabilities and impressive performance - all wrapped up in a slick, easy to use interface that will only get better.
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/mobile_phones/samsung/wave/336342
    The first two things to note about the Samsung Wave are obvious: the build quality and the screen just cram style into your eyeballs.

Samsung wave

The phone is very slim at less than 11mm thick and the metallic build quality is apparent the second you hold it in your hand. Given a startling number of purchases are made in store based on how a phone feels this will be head and shoulders above the rest to that demographic.
    And if you're impressed by the chassis, then you'll be amazed by the SuperAMOLED screen, with its high-res 480x800 WVGA screen with great viewing angles and jaw dropping contrast.
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-wave-s8500-680092/review
    Design:

In terms of design, the Samsung Wave S8500 is a great achievement of technology (and of Samsung's design team). It is definitely a good looker, sports a pretty solid metal chassis and is really thin at just 0.43 inches (10.9mm). The in-hand feel of the smartphone is top-notch, thanks to the high-quality materials used and its significant weight.
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Samsung-Wave-S8500-Review-review-r_2452.html
    The Samsung S8500 Wave is very well built and that’s a good way to start. The economic styling befits the slim and solid phone, and the overall feel of the device is sharp and mature. We have no complaints about the controls and handling. ...

The Super AMOLED touchscreen is the envy of the industry, with image quality that no other phone display could match."
    And the screen… words can hardly describe the difference to regular LCD displays. It’s just beautiful simply to look at.
    The display is just incredible
    The AMOLED display technology has a great edge over LCD in terms of contrast that’s no news. Super AMOLED screens have the deepest blacks we’ve seen on a mobile phone. Besides, color vibrance has got a boost too, which makes the S8500 Wave display image quality all the more impressive. The viewing angles are the best in business and outdoor visibility is remarkable too.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8500_wave-review-480p2.php

When Samsung launched this phone they made a big deal of the Super AMOLED display and rightly so. At 3.3 inches and with a resolution of 480 x 800, it is pin sharp, but that's not the only quality we like about it. The colour rendering and the deep blacks are astonishing: many mobile phone displays look grey, but looking into the display of the Samsung Wave is like peering into an inky well.

The colours are really vibrant and leap out of the display. There is definition in video and photos that make them look sensational; it's the best display we’ve seen on a mobile phone
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/48...00-bada-review

Screen (10/10)

Hands down the best screen I have used on a smartphone. It is highly responsive and looks splendid in all conditions. The colours are incredibly vibrant and the screen content feels as though it is closer to the glass than most other smartphones. The main advantage of this screen is the performance in bright sunlight. I tested it next to the iPhone, which is very good in bright conditions, and it is much, much better. When I saw AMOLED on the specs sheet my heart dropped because they are often unreadable in bright conditions, but the mDNIe technology (whatever that is?) used here really does work. The viewing angles are to the extreme and it is simply wonderful to look at and use. Superb!
    http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/201...view-part-two/
    Re: samsung wave/htc desire

Haven't tried the Samsung Wave, but on Saturday I went to compare the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S.
    Seeing the two side by side I can down firmly on the side of the Galaxy S ( which in itself speaks volumes because I was upgrading from an HTC Hero which I loved and the Desire is a class leading device).
    The main points that attracted me to the Galaxy s, first and foremost a frankly glorious 4 inch Super AMOLED screen. I really can't emphasise enough how good it is, in my opinion it beats my wife's iphone 4 into a cocked hat. Super sharp, vivid colours, wide viewing angle and easy to read in bright sunlight.
    It also has a very capable stills camera as well as being able to record HD video that's easily on par with the likes of the FlipMino HD etc.
    Another aspect that attracted me was the number of glowing reviews about the music players sonic quality. I have to say, using my Shure SE210s it sounds better than my old iphone 3G, maybe that's because theres an equaliser letting you tweak the sound to your exact taste, I absolutley love it.
    Video playback on that brilliant screen is as you would expect, stunning. I uploaded a couple of movies and the entire first series of Sons of Anarchy onto the device to test it, IMHO it's truly in a class of it's own.
    http://stuff.tv/forums/thread/57852.aspx

wow u did ur homework ;)

still them pictures of nexus side by side doesnt look right...i have seen plenty of reviews of the android and it never look as dim as that...

tbh i dont have a problem with my TFT screen right now...when you set the brightness up to the max the colours are sharp and vivid...

well the last samsung i owned was badly built and the plastic that it was made form felt cheap and the phone started getting loosa gaps ended ended up being screechy...my gf's 2 sisters have samsungs as well as her brother...all 3 phones are the same as my older samsung and this only a few months after buying it...

to some the quality of it might be acceptable...

but when you compare it to HTC or iPhone its rubbish!

but hey thats only my experience and opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Dude, you know Samsung made the AMOLED panel for your HD2 and my Desire right? :pac:

Samsung make brilliant displays, no question. There build quality of the units that house the displays are erm... lacking to say the least.

My recommendation though is to go for an Android phone. If you're willing to wait a bit, the Desire Z and Desire HD will be released. If not the HTC Desire is pretty much the platform leader for Android. The Samsung Galaxy S may have a slight edge in hardware (Barring camera) but it falls short to the Desire on pretty much avenue.

I wouldn't trust Symbian anymore. It really is a dying platform and Nokia don't look capable of reviving it.

Just don't get an iPhone 4 and you'll be happy :D

wow u did ur homework ;)

still them pictures of nexus side by side doesnt look right...i have seen plenty of reviews of the android and it never look as dim as that...

tbh i dont have a problem with my TFT screen right now...when you set the brightness up to the max the colours are sharp and vivid...

well the last samsung i owned was badly built and the plastic that it was made form felt cheap and the phone started getting loosa gaps ended ended up being screechy...my gf's 2 sisters have samsungs as well as her brother...all 3 phones are the same as my older samsung and this only a few months after buying it...

to some the quality of it might be acceptable...

but when you compare it to HTC or iPhone its rubbish!

but hey thats only my experience and opinion

Thanks, I do like to do my homework before buying a phone.

Did you bother following the link and checking out the other photos of the wave compared to other phones? The reason the Nexus One seems dim is because the Wave is considerably brighter, that's why it's display is visible in direct sunlight.

You are judging the build quality of the Wave when you haven't actually seen or handled one. That's like me saying an Evo 9 must be a slow car because I drove a Colt and it wasn't very fast.

The build quality of the Wave is up there with iPhone 4, HTCs and any other phone you care to mention.

Thanks for the replies lads, what I meant by screen quality was from what I know of tvs and laptops, I read aswell that the new AMOLED on samsung have done away with an air gap and a cover/film where the touch sensor is/was!? don't know much about it tbh just what ive read, im all for a nice iphone alternative but the thing im worried about is UI and navigation etc. Do the iphone competitors really have as smooth transitions and good looking icons/text msgs? Also if I were to get a HTC or Motorola Droid are they as smooth to use/touch?

• Advertisement

As far as the Wave goes, just go to Youtube and search for Samsung Wave UI and then watch a few of the vids. Here's one to get you going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yqnzVfPQ8

The capacitive touchscreen on the Wave is glass and is extremely responsive. The OS and UI is easy to navigate and is pretty intuitive.

You sound like someone who has one!? What about apps, widgets? Would the motorola/HTC be more advanced in that regard??

He doesn't. HTC Sense outclasses samsung's ui in terms of looks, functionality and fluidity.

sorry i did have the wave and the galaxy in my hands and i didnt like either of them...UI is a mess too...

HTC Sense is way ahead

And where would a poor peasant boy such as myself look for the HTC sense?

Edit: Im a tard sorry, sense is the OS, the desire is like 520 online !!!!:O

Give you a quick run down...

Both the Samsung Galaxy S (But not the wave) and the HTC Desire run Android OS. The HTC Desire has a functionality layer (Not merely a skin) called HTC Sense which is pretty much known as being the best Android UI. Samsung phones however run Touchwiz (For Android) and Bada. Bada (Hint is in the first 3 letters ;)) is an independent open source OS (As on the wave) and also a UI skin for Android.

Ask anyone who has ever used an Android phone and they will tell you straight away which is superior ;)

Thanks, don't know what you think in a blanket sense but when I hear independent and open source in same sentence I think of cheap and probably dodgey.

K so funny enough the nokia seems dead to me now!:rolleyes:

So lets say im set on HTC, which is best, the desire and all it's incarnations? Or could I get a legend?

What y'all sporting?

Well you wont buy a desire from a mobile carrier cause their sold out...and they wont be in for another month or so. Unless you huy one dim free not from a carrier shop. Legend is the improved version of hero which was nominated phone of the year. Though id still preffer desire cause dont like the legend form factor.

Thats got the angled bit doesn't it!?

Ya well it wont be for a few months but i'm going save up now.

Actually i'm heading to the south of Spain next week, would I pick it up there cheaper? And if I did would the saving outweigh not having it set up and ready to go in Ireland??

Yes, I do have a Wave. The apps for it are pretty poor and thin on the ground, but that might be because it has only been out for a couple of months.

It is a very good, slick phone. Of course the resident Android/HTC fan club will disagree. I would suggest reading some independent reviews and maybe even going and trying one out.

Oh, and the Wave is at least €170 cheaper than the other options being suggested.

• Advertisement

Thats got the angled bit doesn't it!?

Ya well it wont be for a few months but i'm going save up now.

Actually i'm heading to the south of Spain next week, would I pick it up there cheaper? And if I did would the saving outweigh not having it set up and ready to go in Ireland??
    Won't make a bit of difference with regard to setup as most if not all happens automatically OTA (And we can always help you out over on the Android forum ;)) I doubt you'd make much of a saving although the stock situation should be better over there.

I wouldn't recommend the Legend though. It's only €50 cheaper and lacks quite a lot compared to the Desire like 720p recording and Flash 10.1

If you're prepared to wait, there are rumours of two new phones... The Desire HD and the Desire Z. As I take it the Desire HD is a beefed up Desire with a bigger screen (4.3") and the Desire Z is the same except with a slide out QWERTY keyboard. That said though, it's unconfirmed but seems pretty likely. If you want one within the next say 4 months get a HTC Desire sim free or through carphone warehouse (Who do have some stock left).

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, I do have a Wave. The apps for it are pretty poor and thin on the ground, but that might be because it has only been out for a couple of months.

It is a very good, slick phone. Of course the resident Android/HTC fan club will disagree.
    It says a lot about a phone when there's a resident HTC/Android fan club (As you call it) and not a Samsung/Bada fan club on a forum like boards ;)

cnocbui wrote: »

It is a very good, slick phone. Of course the resident Android/HTC fan club will disagree. I would suggest reading some independent reviews and maybe even going and trying one out.

Oh, and the Wave is at least €170 cheaper than the other options being suggested.

Ya theres alot to be said for actually holding the thing, like a camera I suppose really! Cheap is good but i'll let my gut decide if I do get my hands on two of the culprits.
    Won't make a bit of difference with regard to setup as most if not all happens automatically OTA (And we can always help you out over on the Android forum ;)) I doubt you'd make much of a saving although the stock situation should be better over there.

I wouldn't recommend the Legend though. It's only €50 cheaper and lacks quite a lot compared to the Desire like 720p recording and Flash 10.1

If you're prepared to wait, there are rumours of two new phones... The Desire HD and the Desire Z. As I take it the Desire HD is a beefed up Desire with a bigger screen (4.3") and the Desire Z is the same except with a slide out QWERTY keyboard. That said though, it's unconfirmed but seems pretty likely. If you want one within the next say 4 months get a HTC Desire sim free or through carphone warehouse (Who do have some stock left).

Heard something about those newuns alright, the Z sounds cool, tres bizzzznezzzlike with the pop out qwerty, how much does a desire retail at currently?

Ya theres alot to be said for actually holding the thing, like a camera I suppose really! Cheap is good but i'll let my gut decide if I do get my hands on two of the culprits.

Heard something about those newuns alright, the Z sounds cool, tres bizzzznezzzlike with the pop out qwerty, how much does a desire retail at currently?
    €449 sim free afaik. Although I think Carphone Warehouse do it for €399. Not particularly sure as I got mine on Meteor Contract (Cancelled three months in ;))

And got away scott free with phone and dignity intact? Do tell....

And got away scott free with phone and dignity intact? Do tell....
    I have :D

3 months in on a 12 month contract. Moved straight down to Bill Pay Lite with a data addon and saved €15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

So that is why HTC,Apple and SE use Samsungs screens ..... hmmmm

sorry my screen is made by toshiba :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So? Samsung still make the best display panels if you ask me. All new Super LCD panels are coming from Sony though which are just as good when it comes to displays.

There's no denying the quality of Samsung's components. It's the final product and support which lets them down so badly.

In fact, if everyone opened their phone right now nearly every single one would have at least one Samsung component (RAM probably) or if not Samsung then Hynix.

• Advertisement

which reminds me that the new screens in Desires are going to be Sony SLCD

Advertisement