Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education possibly refused

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry i know another back to education thread has started but I have not been able to get a definite answer to my situation.
    Basically I was let go on the 27th of December 2009,applied for college and was successful as I got my 1st choice in NUIG.
    Delighted about it as it`s my first attempt at university and I am very keen to up-skill and obtain a qualification.
    Went to see about the back to education this morning and they told me I will be rejected for it as I am short 14 days and as uni starts on the 13th.
    I was living outside Ireland for 2007 and am not entitled to the grant,my wife is from overseas and if I sign off she will get nothing and we will be left with no money coming in and no jobs.
    Situation is what can I do to get the allowance as I cannot afford to return to education without it and the prospect of another full year on the dole does not bare thinking about.
    is there a way where they may slide the 14 days as I heard they are fierce strict this year.
    Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Were you on reduced working time or forced to take a short term layoff prior to being let go? That might count towards the 14 days you are short. Were you made statutorally redundant or voluntarilly? That might also make a difference.
    If you haven't gotten refused officially yet it might be worth sending in a letter with any additional info you didn't include initially.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Hi thanks for the reply,
    The business actually let 3 members go but we were all short redundancy by 3 months.
    I was not reduced in my hours prior to the 27th so I am in a little bit of a problem,I heard before that people were short a couple of weeks and were granted but times are different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I've got limited info as I applied about 5 weeks ago. I had reduced working time for 9 months last year and then made redundant and I got approved so I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Have you applied for the grant and were denied due to being abroad in 2007? Is there an appeals process?

If all else fails I suggest a good read of citizensinformation.ie in case there's something you might miss.

Also have a look into scholarships and awards that aren't linked to the social welfare. Try your local credit union as they often offer awards or grants. I think there's a full list on studentfinance.ie if you haven't been on it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

there is a girl on rollercoaster who was not eligible because she was out of the country for the last few years and she got on to her local Councillor to contact their local td which happened to be brian lenihan, he wrote her a letter and hey presto she has full btea!! i know ur in a different situation but get your td to write u a letter, make use of them it just might work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Thanks very much for that I will get on to them asap about it,it would be ridiculous to not allow it over a few days or rather have me wait another full year on the dole as thats my only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

If your application is in , just wait and see for the moment .
    fingers crossed you get it . but the getting a letter from a T.D may just do it also . maybe go to him/her get that letter now and pop it into social welfare
    I dont think that would do any harm at all, for them to see you are on top of your case !

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

beagle001 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry i know another back to education thread has started but I have not been able to get a definite answer to my situation.
    Basically I was let go on the 27th of December 2009,applied for college and was successful as I got my 1st choice in NUIG.
    Delighted about it as it`s my first attempt at university and I am very keen to up-skill and obtain a qualification.
    Went to see about the back to education this morning and they told me I will be rejected for it as I am short 14 days and as uni starts on the 13th.
    I was living outside Ireland for 2007 and am not entitled to the grant,my wife is from overseas and if I sign off she will get nothing and we will be left with no money coming in and no jobs.
    Situation is what can I do to get the allowance as I cannot afford to return to education without it and the prospect of another full year on the dole does not bare thinking about.
    is there a way where they may slide the 14 days as I heard they are fierce strict this year.
    Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated
    Thanks

Ok - a few options

Credit union loan
    Student assistance fund
    Possibly also go to a local partnership organisation and see if they can help out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement