Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What sort of hours would you be aiming for a week if you weren't studying? And what are you aiming for with study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What sort of hours would you be aiming for a week if you weren't studying? And what are you aiming for with study?

Probably 14hrs topping out at 20-22 in the last few weeks, with the MBA and work realistically the averages will be around 50% of that. Struggling this week but doing what I can.

7.5hrs for last week, down on what I had planned but study for exams took longer and left me tired for the week, thankfully they are done and dusted until the Summer.
    Highlights for the week was a good 2hr turbo yesterday and run off it finishing at HIM race pace. Also a good swim over the weekend with the main set of 15x100s with the pool set to 1.30 pace, working hard to hit the paces but trying to stay efficient in the water.
    Normally I would be doing a recovery week this week but with the volume so low it's not really warranted :)

9 good hrs for last week, swim going well, run pace coming down, and bike going in right direction.

This week has seen no training Mon-Wed as picked up a viral gastric bug but back at it tonight with a short 30min turbo after college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also a good swim over the weekend with the main set of 15x100s with the pool set to 1.30 pace, working hard to hit the paces but trying to stay efficient in the water. :)
    This. :-)

• Advertisement

Only 5.5hrs last week after losing half of it to sickness, hoping for better weeks ahead otherwise Roth & IMCPH will be torture.

4.5hrs for last week, at least the hours are consistently low :). In fairness it was a busy week and I was away for the weekend as I crossed over into a new age category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Happy birthday bud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

a merry belated birthday

Happy New Age Category birthday Fran!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Happy Birthday Fran, those aul fellas are a very competitive bunch:D

The week had started so well with some good training and in particular 3 good swim sessions and then it turned to crap with another bout of illness towards the end of the week, this time chest infection and it probably rules out training today/tomorrow. Only managed 4.5hrs for the week, cannot recall being as sick so frequently.

I have 9 weeks to 70.3 Marbella and 18 weeks to Roth.

A solitary 2.5hr cycle for the week. On a plus side, chest infection looks like it has cleared and I am feeling human again, really need to get some consistent weeks banked otherwise I am pulling the plug on both IMs

Simple objective next week is 4 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, and not to get sick again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

A solitary 2.5hr cycle for the week. On a plus side, chest infection looks like it has cleared and I am feeling human again, really need to get some consistent weeks banked otherwise I am pulling the plug on both IMs

Simple objective next week is 4 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, and not to get sick again!

why so negative its not like you would have expected pbs with your training time available anyways and you get through them anyaway and enjoy it . its much more a vacation so why not enjoy it ?

peter kern wrote: »
    why so negative its not like you would have expected pbs with your training time available anyways and you get through them anyaway and enjoy it . its much more a vacation so why not enjoy it ?

Ignore me, just been whiney. That was the original plan to enjoy them and in particular Roth was to go back and finish this time after ending up in the hospital back in 2012.

The less training that gets done the less enjoyable they will be:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

remember rule no 1. until you are at least upside down in a taxi you cant be whinny.

Amazing what you can get done with a few snow days off work and no college.

Mon 26th - 40min easy run
    Tue 27th - 40min swim with main set 10x100 @ 1.45 pace off 2mins
    Wed 28th - 90min turbo on Zwift, kept the power low enough on this
    Thur 01st - 60min swim with main set 100/500/100 pyramid all @ 1.40 pace, tiring towards the end of this set. 45min turbo on Zwift into a 15min brick run @ HIM pace of 4.15k
    Fri 02nd - 2hr turbo on zwift @ IM pace, 5k treadmill run
    Sat 03rd - 70min snow/hike run, the pace was 5.30 per k but this was bloody tough but very enjoyable wading through metre high snow drifts and up and down the local hills, 60min swim with the main set of 30x50s (40sec) @ 1.20 pace off 60secs, noodle arms after this set.
    Sun 04th - 30min swim with the main set of 16x100s @ 1.35 pace and off 1.45, the shortened recovery had me working hard towards the end on this and a mental challenge to judge the clock :). 35min S&C session. 60mins turbo on zwift with some hard efforts stealing some jerseys!

11hrs 40min for the week, much better week than the last few and a good 10.5k of swimming across 4 sets, the endless pool is getting plenty of use!

Sun 04th - 30min swim with the main set of 16x100s @ 1.35 pace and off 1.45, !

Again, this! (half way to sub 65 shape which would be quite acceptable for you right?) Is this in the Fastlane like Kurts? Eager to see these Fastlane times translated to the pool or OW

Again, this! (half way to sub 65 shape which would be quite acceptable for you right?) Is this in the Fastlane like Kurts? Eager to see these Fastlane times translated to the pool or OW

Hey, Mike would love to go sub 65 and hold 1.40 pace in an IM (whilst getting out fresh). I think it would make a big difference to my overall race getting out 10-15mins with faster cyclists rather than having to ride through the field.

I have the endless pool which has the return channels, the same unit as Base 2 Race have. I think Kurt has the same motor unit but not the return channels, it makes for a more constant and even flow. Its a bit like a treadmill and it feels like I am working harder than I normally would do in the pool.

The only comparison I have is some OW swimming in Mexico at Xmas and I did seem to be moving quicker. Hitting Lanza in 4 weeks so I do plan on swimming the IM course to see where I am currently at. If I keep hitting at least 4 swims a week with decent volume, who knows.

Tough work week and college on Thursday and Saturday meant the week was curtailed, still managed just shy of 10hrs so not too bad.

Mon 05th - Super easy 30min recovery run, 5.23 pace

Tue 06th - 4.5k swim set - 4x400 @ 1.45 , 4x300 @ 1.40, 4x200 @ 1.35, 4x100 @ 1.30, 4x50 @ 1.25 and warm down, all with pb as legs felt very heavy. The 400s and 300s were fine but a mixture of a lack of swim endurance and faster paces made the 200 down to 50 very tough. Longest swim set in about 18 months. PM - Decent 1hr on zwift in one of the events, only a handful finished. Lots of work above HIM effort, finished the hour around 90% of my current FTP. Good days training.

Wed 07th - 45min progressive run on Zwift, starting out at 5.30 pace and dropped it 15secs to finish at 3.45 pace. Tougher than it should have been, feeling the pinch from 4.15s downwards.

Thur 08th - 60 easy turbo, short swim, 1.5k set technique/drills focus

Fri 09th - Unplanned rest day

Sat 10th - 2k swim set with main 15x100 paddles @ 1.40 pace, shoulders tired afterwards but a good session.

Sun 11th - HIM swim test session with wetsuit - 32:xx @ 1.40 pace, came out with a headache afterwards and felt dreadful for last 10mins. Bike - Over the 2hours on Zwift which had some HIM intervals included - Run 30mins @ goal IM pace with some faster spurts included. Solid day put down.

Need to get some longer bikes and runs in next week. Happy with swim as another 4 session week and 10k+

• Advertisement

Mon 12th - 40min recovery run

Tue 13th - AM - 5k swim set - main 19x200s @ 1.38 pace off 3.30 with pb. Late PM - FTP test, about 10% off where I have been. 5min power was decent enough.

Wed 14th - Swim - short set of 2x10x50 @ 1.20 pace (torture). PM Alternating 1k easy and 1k fast, 1k fast not as fast as I would like but a good session

Thur 15th - Rest day ahead of 4-day heavy block of training

Fri 16th - 4hr cycle with Tango, We managed about 2.5hrs in the pissing cold rain before bailing to the pain cave and finishing the session off on the turbos. 20min run off the bike @ IM pace.

Sat 17th - 2hr turbo with some HIM intervals. PM - 2k swim set

Sun 18th - AM -Roads were really bad so 2hr progression run on zwift and the treadmill. Started off at 5min ks and worked down to 4.20s by the end of it. This went well considering it's a long time to be on the treadmill! PM - 2K swim with 12x100s @ 1.32 pace, hanging on these as the fatigue was building steadily.

Mon 19th - Roads still a little dodgy so 5hr turbo with virtual company with Tango for all of it and Bambatta for some of it. It turned into a lovely day in the end:mad: Runoff it for 30mins, probably the best yet with some low 4mins ks towards the end.

14hrs for the week but 19.5 over the 8 days and 15hrs over the 4 days. I have not done sufficient volume to require one but this week will be a recovery week after a decent 3 week block. Starting to see some veins and transitioning from untrained to training wardrobe.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

5 hour turbo, you guys are crazy. Got out for a run yesterday but tbh still wouldn't have fancied risking taking the bike out with black ice etc on more remote roads. Hopefully back out on the roads at weekend...snow being forecast for easter :(

5 hour turbo, you guys are crazy. Got out for a run yesterday but tbh still wouldn't have fancied risking taking the bike out with black ice etc on more remote roads. Hopefully back out on the roads at weekend...snow being forecast for easter :(

It's not that bad once you have a bit of structure to the session

Recovery week for last week and did exactly that with 11hrs (6hrs excluding the Mon from the last big block).

Back to it this week and next week will see a bit of Lanza sun for a family week away...the bike is being smuggled over with some long early bike rides planned!

Marbella 70.3 is only 4 weeks away and whilst I don't expect to be setting the world on fire it would be nice to string a decent performance together. I think Michelle is starting to realise what she has signed up for with 1400mtrs of elevation over the 90k bike course:P

12hrs last week so so, tweaked my back on a long spin with the fish. Over in Lanza since Monday and trying to lay down a solid week although still some lower back pain, the P5 is handling like a pig in the crosswinds in
    Lanza so far and have had a few oh **** moments
    the endless pool swimming seems to be transferring well to OW

20hrs of training done so far with most of it on the bike. Tomorrow is Tabayesco hill repeat day, which will be overgear on 1st rep and balls out on the 2nd.
    Done the majority of the IM bike loop yesterday and that long climb to Haria into a headwind still sucks but beautiful at the same time. Finished it strong and better than I have felt after any long bike so far.

Kids having a ball, forgot how much I enjoy Lanza as it’se a few years since we have been here.

I will roll the last 2 weeks up into a summary of 36hrs mostly biking. Weekends training was just ok with a 4hr sub par bike with Liam for half of it on Sat, felt I was a bit flat on the bike. Sunday was runday, 28k IM run/walk followed with a 2nd faster run later in the day with some fast pieces.

11 weeks to go, need to get back to more consistent swimming and try progress the bike a bit further, reckon I am about 20-30mins slower than Barca bike shape.

Mon 16th - Rest Day

Tue 17th - 2.1k pyramid swim in the e/pool, done at 1.40 pace, 1hr easy turbo to loosen out the legs

Wed 18th - HIM tt with the wetsuit, 32.45 @ 1.43 pace, hopefully this transfers across to OW from the e/pool, 5x5 above threshold on the turbo, working hard.

Thur 19th - 2hr tempo tt ride, same repeat loop as 2016 IM prep except I am 10mins slower, ties into my comment about being 30min slower over IM distance. Obviously, the bike has lost aerodynamics :o
    There is still time to recover the bike although I cannot rewind the clock back to Winter when the work should have started. 30 brick run at a not so bad pace, again the same loop as 2016 to measure progress.

Fri 20th - S&C session and 3.5k set with 30x100 @ 1.37 pace off 2, I am hopeful of dropping these down to 1.30 pace and a 1.45 send-off for 40x100 by the end of IM prep.

Sat 21st - Reduced the long bike this week with IM Marbella next week, out with Liam and moving better than last week, I choose to ignore that he changed back to his winter hack to make me feel faster :pac:

Sun 22nd - Again no long run planned instead 1hr turbo with 2x20 at HIM intensity with a 1hr run, alternating 1ks @ 4.15s/4.35s

12hrs for the week. Not sure how next weeks race will go and tbh more concerned about Michelle's race with it being her first. There are 2 big climbs, one 15k long and the other 20k long, with a 1400mtr of climbing it's going to be a slow one but hopefully I can throw caution to the wind and descend like a graceful brick!

I will throw this in here rather than start a new thread. Interested to hear views and thoughts on pros/cons of a rear disc on this bike course.

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/780e554f40d54959a29845ae5185c153/bike%20im%20marbella%202018.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm sure you have seen this already but somebody asked a question about the course on Slowtwitch the other day,

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Marbella_70.3_P6611089/

Seems to be a lot of climbing and technical enough descents. I don't think I would go with a disc, but that's more to do with me feeling more comfortable on my deeper back wheel and the extra weight of the disc.

Advertisement