Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

joey100 wrote: »
    I'm sure you have seen this already but somebody asked a question about the course on Slowtwitch the other day,

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Marbella_70.3_P6611089/

Seems to be a lot of climbing and technical enough descents. I don't think I would go with a disc, but that's more to do with me feeling more comfortable on my deeper back wheel and the extra weight of the disc.

Cheers Joey, had not seen that thread. Will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=36068;menu=1000,4,123,30;page=99
    there you go clincher disc 820 grams

if i was 10 min slower over 2 hours losing sweet over my rear wheel would be my last thought , though. but i would want alu breaking surface ...
    i guess a much more important question breaking quality rather than disc or no disc.

Last weeks HIM was one of the worst race performances I have put in. A lesson learnt not to line up if not focussed. I could list a load of excuses, sore back, distracted with Michelle’s race, wrong equipment choice but ultimately I was not mentally there at the start line.

Bike course was savage and unfortuneatly Michelle missed the bike cut off by a few mins along with a bus load of others. I was gutted for her and Feel bad for picking a tough course for her first but she will be back for more races through the season and is hooked.

peter kern wrote: »
    https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=36068;menu=1000,4,123,30;page=99
    there you go clincher disc 820 grams

if i was 10 min slower over 2 hours losing sweet over my rear wheel would be my last thought , though. but i would want alu breaking surface ...
    i guess a much more important question breaking quality rather than disc or no disc.

I have Alu braking surface on the disc, question was less about weight and more about descending as Marbella has been notably windy since Easter (akin to Lanza if you have been)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

How did the OW swim go- did your Endless pool swimming make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I have Alu braking surface on the disc, question was less about weight and more about descending as Marbella has been notably windy since Easter (akin to Lanza if you have been)

Iam a simple guy one race wheel set most people spend way too much time about equipment worry and then get confused or nervous.
    And I would ride a disc in Kona if allowed....and lanza and I understand on a course like marbella disc can be a bit slower but i chose one wheel that does me best in 95 percent of races. Keep it simple
    It makes very little difference ie I know my wheel for 15 years and that counts for a lot. Granted I love cycling in the wind and never get pushed around at canary islands by it. Practise a stable bike position And I guess here my 76 kg help lol.
    But I could not think of a race where I could blame my wheels for poor performace.
    Ps its the front wheel that matters in the wind
    Even in lanza or Kona a disc wirh 404 would be more stabke than the allowed 808 or whatever combinatin.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    How did the OW swim go- did your Endless pool swimming make a difference?

Hey P, I had hoped to swim a 32:xx so when I saw 30 flat coming out I was delighted...until I found out later it was shortened by 300 on race morning due to wind and swell.

It was an ok swim and I noticed some improvement. This swim was very similar conditions to Reugen HIM over 2 years ago and I swam over 10mins quicker (allowing for short swim) so I will take that as a positive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last weeks HIM was one of the worst race performances I have put in. A lesson learnt not to line up if not focussed. I could list a load of excuses, sore back, distracted with Michelle’s race, wrong equipment choice but ultimately I was not mentally there at the start line.

Bike course was savage and unfortuneatly Michelle missed the bike cut off by a few mins along with a bus load of others. I was gutted for her and Feel bad for picking a tough course for her first but she will be back for more races through the season and is hooked.

Good to hear she's ready to go back at it. Is she going to do anything here or is she just going to head to warmer climes?

Just shy of 16hrs for the week. Short on time so highlights of the week are,

Midweek tempo ride - took 8mins off the last time, not as fast as 2016 times but getting closer. Good run off it as well
    Good hard 5x5 hard out on the road holding 40kmph+ on them, good session
    188k ride on Saturday in 6hrs (wake up call at 4.30am), first 3hrs with Liam were handy enough chatting away and lifted the effort for the last 3. Good confidence booster as I had doubts heading out but finished strong.
    Today was a 30k run, run/walk IM strategy. This was good as I was fatigued heading out and the last hour was good mental training and keeping the form in check, good pace held on the run sections. Just back in from the cabin for the 2nd run of the day to bring it up to 38k for the day, dreadful starting off but flying by the end of it.

Need to get some bigger swim sets in next week. This was a good week, another 4/5 big rides and runs and i will feel a little better heading into Roth. Some exams next week with the MBA so plenty of plates spinning with study in the mix!

Good to hear she's ready to go back at it. Is she going to do anything here or is she just going to head to warmer climes?

Looking at a few shorter distances and perhaps another half later in the year or early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hey Jb, that is impressive training with all thats being juggled in your life at the mo, just wondering about the run/walk strategy, is it time based or are you running a set amount of KM's and then walking for X distance? do you think the time lost walking is better than just slowing the MP down 10 or 20 seconds per K and running the full marathon? and finally, the very best of luck in the exams.

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Hey Jb, that is impressive training with all thats being juggled in your life at the mo, just wondering about the run/walk strategy, is it time based or are you running a set amount of KM's and then walking for X distance? do you think the time lost walking is better than just slowing the MP down 10 or 20 seconds per K and running the full marathon? and finally, the very best of luck in the exams.

Hey P, for me its time based, 19min run and 1min walk. Most would think why not just run the lot as it would be quicker, not necessarily so. For me it helps bring hr down, it mentally breaks the run into 20min buckets, take in nutrition/hydrate, and I use the walk time (which is a brisk walk btw) to remind myself to focus on form. It's a bit like hitting a reset button every 20mins.

It works for me and I have run my fastest IMs in the last 2 using this strategy. In fact, I ran a 6min negative split in Barca.

Mon 14/05 - 50min easy lunchtime recovery bike, 2k swim, 30min straight @ 1.40 pace.
    Tue 15/05 - A double run day to/from work, 18k total.
    Wed 16/05 - 5k swim set, 4x400/300/200/100/50s at 1.45/40/35/30/25 pace, plenty of study for exams
    Thurs 17/05 - Had planned to do long bike after exams today but was shattered so an hour instead.
    Fri 18/05 - 2.2k swim, main 15x100 paddles @ 1.35 pace, 60min turbo 5x5 @ 110% before heading to see the ginger lad in the park
    Sat 19/05 - 4hr bike, solid session and decent pace held considering it was a late night. 9k brick run felt good and faster pace came easy
    Sun 20/05 - Double run - 30min turbo pre-long run -34k IM run/walk, 2k swim 5x400 steady, 2nd evening run just shy of 8k with last 20mins @ sub 3 marathon pace. Solid day.

16.5hrs for the week, another decent week and glad to have got the big run day in yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sun 20/05 - Double run - 30min turbo pre-long run -34k IM run/walk, 2k swim 5x400 steady, 2nd evening run just shy of 8k with last 20mins @ sub 3 marathon pace. Solid day.

16.5hrs for the week, another decent week and glad to have got the big run day in yesterday.

Nice work JB. This caught my eye though. On its own probably unnecessary for IM training but no real harm. However coupled with a 34km long run earlier is asking for trouble IMO. I've poured over old logs recently in prep for where I'm headed and with clear sight I spotted the risks in my training back then. You are piling a lot on with the volume, work, study and no doubt sleep is sacrificed. That week looks like a solid pre IM type of week and knowing you have put it together quickly potentially means those little risks are icebergs.

Kudos on the swimming progress. I think you will find yourself in T2 quicker than usual!

Nice work JB. This caught my eye though. On its own probably unnecessary for IM training but no real harm. However coupled with a 34km long run earlier is asking for trouble IMO. I've poured over old logs recently in prep for where I'm headed and with clear sight I spotted the risks in my training back then. You are piling a lot on with the volume, work, study and no doubt sleep is sacrificed. That week looks like a solid pre IM type of week and knowing you have put it together quickly potentially means those little risks are icebergs.

Kudos on the swimming progress. I think you will find yourself in T2 quicker than usual!

Hey Mike, interested to hear why you think its unnecessary for IM training, I happen to think the exact opposite. That 2nd run on the long run day is one I often do and it has served me well on my last two IM runs. I also prescribe it to some of my more experienced athletes. I actually think it carries less risk than running 3hrs+ straight which I would never advocate. Its a great session with the sole focus on enforcing good form and running faster than planned IM pace whilst fatigued, not to mention the mental strength it builds.

As you point out I think the far bigger risk has been managing and trying to balance everything but thankfully through the worst of it and bar a few loose ends exams/1st year of the MBA is complete so one less plate to spin.

I would have liked to have been a little better-prepared hitting IM training 12 weeks out so there is a higher level of risk I am taking than I am normally comfortable with.

Here is hoping your swim prediction is right.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ah bless, he thinks mba year 1 out of the way lightens the load. ;)

Just kidding F, well done on that. Well impressed at how you are juggling things.

Hey Mike, interested to hear why you think its unnecessary for IM training, I happen to think the exact opposite. That 2nd run on the long run day is one I often do and it has served me well on my last two IM runs. I also prescribe it to some of my more experienced athletes. I actually think it carries less risk than running 3hrs+ straight which I would never advocate. Its a great session with the sole focus on enforcing good form and running faster than planned IM pace whilst fatigued, not to mention the mental strength it builds.

As you point out I think the far bigger risk has been managing and trying to balance everything but thankfully through the worst of it and bar a few loose ends exams/1st year of the MBA is complete so one less plate to spin.

I would have liked to have been a little better-prepared hitting IM training 12 weeks out so there is a higher level of risk I am taking than I am normally comfortable with.

Here is hoping your swim prediction is right.:)

From the load perspective. 42k running any day is lots but ultra guys do that. IM training? Hey if you plan running a sub 20 last 5km then cool. I just think a bit of tempo on the second run is unnecessary. You have the work done. What is the purpose of the 2nd run? What is the purpose of the 20 mins tempo in it? Don't mean to clog your thread or start a debate just curious..!

From the load perspective. 42k running any day is lots but ultra guys do that. IM training? Hey if you plan running a sub 20 last 5km then cool. I just think a bit of tempo on the second run is unnecessary. You have the work done. What is the purpose of the 2nd run? What is the purpose of the 20 mins tempo in it? Don't mean to clog your thread or start a debate just curious..!

Hey Mike, we will probably have to agree to disagree on this one. It is worth noting that 2nd run session that concerns you is down as the last 20 mins with the focus of running strong and being mindful of good form when the body is fatigued (as is the case at the end of an IM) In this case it transpired to my surprise as running a little faster than I expected without really pushing it.

Why do I do it? Mentally it prepares you, the last 10k of an IM can make or break you. The session has a purpose, to run strong with good form when there is a lot of fatigue in the body. It reduces the risk of injury running 3hrs + which I don't buy into. Finally, I have used this double run day on long run day in my last 2 IMs and it works for me, and in particular, Barca with several minutes neg split.

The debate is always good and this probably warrants a thread of its own as I strongly believe in the benefits of this session for more seasoned triathletes. Others might have a different view.

19hrs for last week. Best session of the week was a 5k swim set with 45x100s off 1.45 and holding 1.30 pace. This session hurt a lot but it's probably the best swim I have had in the endless pool since I got it last Nov.
    Another 5.5hr bike with 95% on the bars, it was also decent with nice weather for a change.
    Body started to really tire over the weekend after the last 3 big weeks and a shorter/harder bike with Liam on Saturday morning only yielded an average of 36kmph for the hour hard, was hoping for more.

Glad this week is a recovery week as its needed. Hoping to race on Saturday just to break up the monotony of IM training. 5 weeks to go to Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

19hrs for last week. Best session of the week was a 5k swim set with 45x100s off 1.45 and holding 1.30 pace. This session hurt a lot but it's probably the best swim I have had in the endless pool since I got it last Nov.
    Another 5.5hr bike with 95% on the bars, it was also decent with nice weather for a change.
    Body started to really tire over the weekend after the last 3 big weeks and a shorter/harder bike with Liam on Saturday morning only yielded an average of 36kmph for the hour hard, was hoping for more.

Glad this week is a recovery week as its needed. Hoping to race on Saturday just to break up the monotony of IM training. 5 weeks to go to Roth.

very very impressive JB, i wouldnt be able to lift my arms for a week after that set:eek::D

• Advertisement

19hrs for last week. Best session of the week was a 5k swim set with 45x100s off 1.45 and holding 1.30 pace.

For reference that's better than any swim I remember doing before Roth (and I did some 4-5k sets) and I swam 58. You are in great shape!

The Roth swim is great. Up and down the Channel. You can easily break it into 3 chunks and because its tight you get good drafting

For reference that's better than any swim I remember doing before Roth (and I did some 4-5k sets) and I swam 58. You are in great shape!

The Roth swim is great. Up and down the Channel. You can easily break it into 3 chunks and because its tight you get good drafting

Yeah got to "experience" the swim and bike in 2012 in between puking:)

Recovery week last week, hours much lower than I would have hoped for but prioritised rest over sessions. I was so tired last week, normally I get about 40-42hours of sleep in a week, last week 65 hours with plenty of power naps thrown in.
    I had booked and paid for a sprint race (Sat) on Thurs, woke up with a pulled muscle in my left shoulder & into my neck on Fri morning and physio this morning has thankfully loosened it out. Really would have liked to race on Sat as it's been a while since I last raced a sprint tri. Its unlikely I will get another racing opportunity in before Roth without sacrificing IM specific work.

4 weeks to Roth, big enough week planned for this week.

A solid week at 23hrs, the body and mind are starting to feel like they are ready for an IM compared to a few weeks back. Standout sessions were,

A 90k above IM effort midweek which yielded a 2.34 and I felt in control.

Following day was due to be a long bike but only managed 4hrs before I punctured (without a pump:o) so had to make the call for home, the effort was easy but again it felt good.

An IM tt in the endless pool which came in at 1.42 pace and 64mins, I won't pay too much attention to this as OW is a different ball game.

Finally, Sun was a great double run day again, by far the best. 35k progression run on the treadmill in the morning (thank god for zwift running) the log cabin was in the high 20s and low 30s so whilst it was tough I made sure to stay on top of fluids and it was good race practice. 2nd run was 10k in the evening and finished it strong whilst maintaining good form. A good sign for me is finishing that 2nd run strong and feeling i could keep going, also having no muscle soreness and ready to train the next morning.

3 weeks to go, I will knock off a bit of volume this week but not by too much, however, that was the last of the really long run days. Starting to look forward to race day as it draws closer

Another week over and another week closer, into taper from this week.

Sleep is all over the place at the moment and there is one major distraction taking up all my head space. I am hoping it gets sorted prior to Roth as I want to be fully focussed on race day and have no other distractions.

I was comparing Roth lead-in to IMMT and understandably the hours are down for Roth (by around 25%) and also from a weaker winter of work. The one positive I have is experience on my side, this being my 8th time on an IM start line and from my last 2 races I know how to execute a performance and get the most out of my poor ageing and aching body :)

I have been waiting for 6 years to get back to Roth to erase that DNF when Tunney and Tango poisoned my food and i ended up in hospital so above all I want to enjoy the experience and give it a good lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How you finding your cabin JB? Any problems with condensation, ours is grand in this weather but seem to have a bit damp in the air in the winter. My da works for Eircom so he got me stuff they use in the underground cable joins to take the damp out of the air and they work well but still seems to be a little around. Just asking cos looking at a treadmill but not sure how it will hold up in the shed over the winter, saying that the kickr and Lemond revolution have had no issues. Mainly cassettess, chains and bolts.

Into race week we go.

Last week was good with volume reduced but two key sessions to see how the body was after a bit of recovery. A 90min bike at planned IM effort & HR which went very well and for the first time I was holding an average of 36kmph+ comfortably for that type of effort and it felt good.

The other session was a 15k run using IM run/walk 19&1. I kept having to slow myself down to keep it at race pace, it was a lumpy route and even on the uphills it felt effortless. One of those runs that don't come around too often when form is solid and you are floating.

Happy with the shape I have got myself into considering all the other commitments I have on the go. Secretly I would love to pb but I would need a perfect day with no issues for that to happen.

joey100 wrote: »
    How you finding your cabin JB? Any problems with condensation, ours is grand in this weather but seem to have a bit damp in the air in the winter. My da works for Eircom so he got me stuff they use in the underground cable joins to take the damp out of the air and they work well but still seems to be a little around. Just asking cos looking at a treadmill but not sure how it will hold up in the shed over the winter, saying that the kickr and Lemond revolution have had no issues. Mainly cassettes, chains and bolts.

Condensation is a big issue for me in Winter, even more so when you have a heated pool within the log cabin which is being held at 77. I have got a bathroom extractor fan which I have yet to install but it should help considerably. Apart from the colder months, I have not seen an issue. If I had the pool turned off over Winter I doubt I would see much if any condensation.

I did burn out a motherboard on one of the treadmills but that's because Michelle left the cover off the pool for a few hours :rolleyes: and the condensation was dripping from the walls and ceilings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I've one of these Kair extractors fitted- they are pricey but do a great job. Might be overkill for you Joey but they do a fantastic job taking out condensation without taking out the heat in winter.

• Advertisement

Into race week we go.
    . Secretly I would love to pb but I would need a perfect day with no issues for that to happen.
    What is the PB?

Advertisement