Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good to meet you to Mick, i know i have said it a few times but thanks again for collecting my gear at the expo as i would have missed the match. Yeah Mrs JB took it when i was doing the z3/z4 5 minute bursts pushing out around 320+ watts. I have not signed up for TDB yet as i am trying to juggle a few things around that weekend. I take it you are just doing the run or will you have the bike on the road by then?

No worries.
    Yea just doing the run. The bike is too early for me on that day. I hope it is a good day as hopefully the kids and Mrs M will come along.
    My biking will kick off the following week.

The entry was by the traditional method of printing and filling out a form and sending the form and money (PO) back via An Post. As far as I know you cannot register on the day. I will check with my mate and come back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey JB did you do 6*5mins at 320w?! If so thats really good going! I've never had my TT set up done in a shop but did do it with my former coach last winter and through studying pics of the PROS. Now others my critique and I'd welcome that but I just wanted to show what a lower position in teh bard looks like. Your front end gets lower but its a pretty aggresive position. This was taken at the end of the bike leg at Valentia Island last year and I had a decent bike that day. Obviously I'm carrying some weight :rolleyes: and you really feel it in this low position. Now I haven't changed it at all since and took it out for a spin last weekend. While I felt good and strong at the start of the spin I was pretty stiff afterwards (details in my log). So in short, a more aggressive position may be more aero but its useless if you can't hold it for 5-6 hours ;)

The first 3 were about 310-320, I think the video was the 2nd or 3rd set. I really struggled on the last 3 sets though and was just about keeping it above the 300. I have to say i feel a greater power transfer in that position to the road bike. You look fairly low down there in the photo, your saddle position looks slightly more forward to mine as your elbow is sitting right on the rests were mine is about 2 inches back. You are 100% right, i need to find the balance between comfort and keeping in an aero position.

Just read your log and that was a gutsy long bike today, fair play for sticking it out. Good for the aul mental toughness.
    My long bike tomorrow will be a combination of a 3 hour turbo and straight out to meet up with a group for about 2 hours out on the road due to Junior racing tomorrow. Silly o clock turbo beckons:(

Macanri wrote: »
    No worries.
    Yea just doing the run. The bike is too early for me on that day. I hope it is a good day as hopefully the kids and Mrs M will come along.
    My biking will kick off the following week.

The entry was by the traditional method of printing and filling out a form and sending the form and money (PO) back via An Post. As far as I know you cannot register on the day. I will check with my mate and come back to you.

Just remembered you saying that now about the registration, let me know either way as it might be good to try get a fast paced 10k in before London and more importantly possibly an excuse for a few sneaky pints in the Morning Star afterwards:p. If i do manage to go the JB clan will be coming along for the day out.

Sunday
    Long Bike
    I had a silly o clock mixed long bike planned for today. 1/2 on the turbo and 1/2 out on the road with Drogheda Wheelers. I pushed it hard on the turbo on the UKIM bike course and took it handy out on the road as i knew the pace would be easy enough. I hammered it for about 5km halfway as i stopped for a piss in my tri suit:rolleyes: and caught the group within 10 minutes. I also hammered it for the last 12km (avg 36kpmh) and left the group as i needed to get home to get Junior out to his races in Gormanstown.
    Happy enough to get another key session in although the back was sore from holding the aero position for about 2 hours on the tri bike/turbo. The wind was howling today so just took the road bike out.
    Turbo: 77.65km/2:23
    Road: 71.14km/2:52
    Totals
    Distance: 148.79km
    Time: 5:15
    Avg speed: 28.2kpmh
    HR: 117/162

Week 17 Summary
    07th Mar - 13th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|16:09|326.3km
    Swimming|2|3.09|7.6km
    Cycling|5|10:33|289.9km
    Running|4|2:27|28.8km
    Conditioning|0|0:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 13th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|193|212:29|3545.9km
    Swimming|38|34:30|102.5km
    Cycling|56|87:23|2622.1km
    Running|79|70:37|821.3km
    Conditioning|14|12:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

Pleasing week and the standout sessions for me was the two bike sessions, hill repeats on Wednesday and the Interval session on the Friday evening. I may go back to a solo long bike next week.

I checked earlier today, and Yes, you can register up to a half an hour before each event. They have x amount of timing chips, and once there gone there gone - so get there earlyish if your registering on the day. Hopefully see you there.
    more importantly possibly an excuse for a few sneaky pints in the Morning Star afterwards:p. If i do manage to go the JB clan will be coming along for the day out.

I may go to the Morning Star, but there will be no pints for me - off it for Lent. Plus, my liver is still recovering from the Barca Session :)

• Advertisement

Monday
    Lunchtime Swim - Technique Session
    300wu
    8x25 kick drills. With a longish run planned for the evening i cut the kick drills back from last week.
    8x50 one arm drills
    4x100 pull buoy drills
    4x50 fist drills
    8x50 thumb to thigh drills
    200wd
    Distance: 2100mtrs
    Time: 48mins

Nightime Run - 90 mins Z2
    Headed out after getting the kids to bed, as usual the first few kms were cumbersome but i eventually got into my stride until i got mawled by a big ****er of an alsation. The dog jumped me when i was passing by and the owner had him off the leash thankfully he did not pierce the skin but i realised how lucky i was when i had a look at my running jacket when i got home as the back of the sleeve was torn to pieces. I know the owner works in my local gym so i will be having words with him this week as the dog is a maniac:mad:.
    I managed to hook up for a few kms with a running club mate and the company passed the time. This guy is a 2:47 marathon runner so i got some great advice from him and he makes running look so easy. I threw in 2 faster kms towards the end and i attacked the last hill home before stopping off at the shop to get some essentials.
    An enjoyable run only for the dog situation:mad:
    Distance: 17kms
    Time: 1:28:22
    Pace: 5.11km/
    HR: 150/168

I checked earlier today, and Yes, you can register up to a half an hour before each event. They have x amount of timing chips, and once there gone there gone - so get there earlyish if your registering on the day. Hopefully see you there.

I may go to the Morning Star, but there will be no pints for me - off it for Lent. Plus, my liver is still recovering from the Barca Session :)

Cool i may see you there then, i just realised i am also off it for lent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good job you came away unscathed JB. Unusual for an Alsation to react like that outside its territory. Sounds like an untrained dog to me that should be kept behind a secure gate (even though they can scale 7ft walls if they want - I've had 2 of them). I'd definitely bring it to your mans attention, show him the jacket, ask him to shell out for a new one and advise him that next time that dog comes out as aggressive as that you will phone the Gardai there and then. I was attacked by a border collie a while back but I'd imagine the sight of a snarling Alsation was pretty scary

Good job you came away unscathed JB. Unusual for an Alsation to react like that outside its territory. Sounds like an untrained dog to me that should be kept behind a secure gate (even though they can scale 7ft walls if they want - I've had 2 of them). I'd definitely bring it to your mans attention, show him the jacket, ask him to shell out for a new one and advise him that next time that dog comes out as aggressive as that you will phone the Gardai there and then. I was attacked by a border collie a while back but I'd imagine the sight of a snarling Alsation was pretty scary

Yeah i was lucky alright, i had to check for any bite marks when i got home so glad i did not need a tetanus shot. A mate of mine has an alsation and its very well trained. I am going to head up to the gym and speak to the guy as the dog is obviously not trained and should be kept on a leash. Could you imagine if that was a kid the dog went for!!
    Have to say I nearly crapped me pants when he went for me and did not want to hang around to discuss the matter further with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yeah i was lucky alright, i had to check for any bite marks when i got home so glad i did not need a tetanus shot. A mate of mine has an alsation and its very well trained. I am going to head up to the gym and speak to the guy as the dog is obviously not trained and should be kept on a leash. Could you imagine if that was a kid the dog went for!!
    Have to say I nearly crapped me pants when he went for me and did not want to hang around to discuss the matter further with the owner.

cujo.jpg

What gearing did you go for on the TT bike in the end?

• Advertisement

53/39 gearing

I had it out at lunchtime and it's going to take some time to build up the confidence staying on the drops. The wheels and tyres on it are **** so will need to invest in a decent set.

Ha your transition to the darkside is now complete - looking for new wheels after a few days of ownership!!! My wife can't understand why I need expensive wheels on an already expensive bike when I'm never gonna win a race. As I've tried explaining to her, I need to make sure I look the part whilst not wining.

What cassette did you put on the back? There'a a discussion on TriTalk about using a compact chainset for IMUK - don't know if i'd go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi JB,

I know you were talking about your position and getting Aero, this might be worth a read came across it while browsing

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-aerodynamics-on-a-budget-29471

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ha your transition to the darkside is now complete - looking for new wheels after a few days of ownership!!! My wife can't understand why I need expensive wheels on an already expensive bike when I'm never gonna win a race. As I've tried explaining to her, I need to make sure I look the part whilst not wining.

What cassette did you put on the back? There'a a discussion on TriTalk about using a compact chainset for IMUK - don't know if i'd go that far.

Yes Mrs JB cannot understand why i need new wheels on a new bike:) The standard cassette on the back is a shimano cassette 12-25. Not sure what it all means as i do not have a clue about gearing/equipment.... i know i should really learn though!!
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi JB,

I know you were talking about your position and getting Aero, this might be worth a read came across it while browsing

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-aerodynamics-on-a-budget-29471
    Cheers KB for the helpful link. There is a route i normally take at lunchtime so going to trial a few positions and see how it feels and performs. I had my first outdoor spin on it yesterday and i need to move the bars out further as the brake cables coming off the bars are rubbing the knees.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Bike
    Out on the new beast at lunchtime. I was very nervy for the first few minutes trying to keep the bike in a straight line with cars whizzing by me as the wind blew about. It really is weird cycling in that position for the first time out on the road but the pace was reasonably okay. Slightly concerned with the higher hr for the steady effort put in.... a good 8 bpm higher than i would have expected!!
    Distance: 16.34km & 7km commute
    Time: 33:02
    Speed: 29.7kpmh
    HR: 144/156

Evening Club session
    Plan: 6x1km Intervals
    Actual : Nothing
    Skipped this session as i was late out of work and i would have missed it either way as the left glute is still making a nuisance of itself. Mor of annoyance than an actual injury.

Wednesday
    AM Swim - Speed session
    300wu
    15x100's in on 1.45/1.53 and generally off in 1.50/1.55 - really pleasing compared to the last time doing these.
    10x50's all out ranging from 46secs to 50secs - really chest beating stuff, for me any way (5 done before the 200s and 5 after)
    5x200's in around the 4 min mark with a 15 sec rest in between
    200 wd
    A good session and knew i gave it a good lash getting out of the pool this morning.
    Distance: 3.5km
    Time: 1:14

The standard cassette on the back is a shimano cassette 12-25. Not sure what it all means as i do not have a clue about gearing/equipment.... i know i should really learn though!!
    From a complete bike pleb like myself:

Its all about the number of teeth on the cogs. On the front, the larger the cog / the greater the number of teeth the 'harder' it is to move, hence the big ring on the front is the 'hard' or 'fast' ring. On the back its the opposite, so the smaller ring is the 'hard' one and the big ring is the 'easy' one.

Your 53/39 - 12/25 is a fairly standard road bike set up - hardcore TT guys will go bigger than 53 on the front (my bike orginally had a 55 but I had it changed). So your hill climbing granny gear is 39/25 which is not too bad, its what I had on for IM last year. Make sure your happy with this on steep hills and make sure you dont want to push out to a 12-27 on the rear to give you that one extra 'easy gear'. I would have liked a 27 last year but then thats me and your a stronger cyclist than I am.

A compact chainset has two medium size rings on the front so its easier to get up hills; a triple has three rings on the front including a small one so that hills become much easier but then again triples are just for girls:D

Well i have a hill repeats session straight after work tonight on the tt bike as i want to see what *she* is like going up hills

**Yes i have decided my bike is a female and will be named BettyCrockett:pac:

Evening Bike - Hill Repeats
    Straight out on the bike from work, really starting to like BettyCrockett and feeling more confident on top of her;)
    Headed out to Bellewstown Hill to get some hill repeats in. It is a shorter hill than Tullyallen but packs a decent gradient. I stayed seated for the lot and felt stronger going up each one. I could have done another 10 but the sun was starting to go down and i had another 14k to get back to work to pick up my gear. This hill is still not steep enough though so i need to find a steeper/longer one nearby...suggestions welcome from those in the know/from area.
    I was comfortably holding 35kpmh on the flat in the drops so it looks good for a quick time on the flattish Challenge Barcelona course. You really do feel like your whizzing by when in the aero position. I am going to give it a right lash on the bike section at the Fingal Duathlon this weekend:)
    I am doing my Long Bike tomorrow but unsure which route or how long i will do, probably a 5.5 hour spin and try get some climbing in.

Distance: 33.1km & 7km commute
    Time: 1:17:35
    Pace: 25.6kpmh
    HR: 143/166
    Climb: 370mtrs

I must have missed something earlier on - did you say you're doing Challenge Barca as well?

From a complete bike pleb like myself:

Its all about the number of teeth on the cogs. On the front, the larger the cog / the greater the number of teeth the 'harder' it is to move, hence the big ring on the front is the 'hard' or 'fast' ring. On the back its the opposite, so the smaller ring is the 'hard' one and the big ring is the 'easy' one.

Your 53/39 - 12/25 is a fairly standard road bike set up - hardcore TT guys will go bigger than 53 on the front (my bike orginally had a 55 but I had it changed). So your hill climbing granny gear is 39/25 which is not too bad, its what I had on for IM last year. Make sure your happy with this on steep hills and make sure you dont want to push out to a 12-27 on the rear to give you that one extra 'easy gear'. I would have liked a 27 last year but then thats me and your a stronger cyclist than I am.

A compact chainset has two medium size rings on the front so its easier to get up hills; a triple has three rings on the front including a small one so that hills become much easier but then again triples are just for girls:D

Great post griffin100. You learn something new every day. I am reading these boards a while now and I never knew what the feck 53/39 or 12/25 meant. Thanks for that!

I must have missed something earlier on - did you say you're doing Challenge Barca as well?

Yeah Grif doing the HIM Challenge Barca at the end of May as an IM warm up race/holiday with the family.

• Advertisement

I thought you meant the full Challenge Bara IM. A half in Spain in may does sound preferable to one in Meath alright!

I thought you meant the full Challenge Bara IM. A half in Spain in may does sound preferable to one in Meath alright!

No comparison really

Have you tried 'Tullyesker Hill' - Head from Drogheda on the North Road on the Old N1 (Hill starts about 2 or 3 km from Kierans Garage) to Monasterboice. Theres a about 2-3km of a climb which has a max of 5%. Not as steep as Bellewstown but a bit longer maybe. Also, have you ever went from South of Slane to North of Ardee on the N2 (in either direction) good hills in and out of Slane, Collon and Ardee.

Have you tried 'Tullyesker Hill' - Head from Drogheda on the North Road on the Old N1 (Hill starts about 2 or 3 km from Kierans Garage) to Monasterboice. Theres a about 2-3km of a climb which has a max of 5%. Not as steep as Bellewstown but a bit longer maybe. Also, have you ever went from South of Slane to North of Ardee on the N2 (in either direction) good hills in and out of Slane, Collon and Ardee.

Yeah i have done Tullyesker Hill a few times and it is handy enough. Never even thought of the hills coming in & out of Slane, i think the steepest/longest part is the road heading for Collon. Cheers Mick.

Thursday
    Plan: 5hr 30mins Long Bike
    Actual: 5hr 22mins Long Bike
    Summary
    I had to head into work early for a few hours this morning as it is mental busy. I headed out the door on the TT bike to join up with some of the Drogheda Wheelers at 10am for part of my ride. I stayed with the guys for an hour and a half and left them in Dundalk as they were heading back home through Tallanstown/Ardee/Collon but i had plans to go along the coast covering Carlingford/Omeath/Newry and back.
    The first hour and half was all easy Z1 pace and a low average speed of 23.3kpmh so i decided to click it up a notch for the remaining 4 hours on my own and see what pace i could comfortabbly hold. I did most of my work in the drops, at a guess i would say i held the position for a good 3.5 hours for the day. I would be lying if i said i had no shoulder/back pain, the last 20kms between the shoulder blades and the lower back were starting to creak but i was pleased to get so long in that position.
    Looking at my pace i held an average pace of just shy of 32kpmh for the 120.5kms i covered on my own so delighted with that and with the low heart rate with the whole session coming in at borderline Z1.
    I did have to make a few stops to refill the bottle as i only have one bottle cage on the TT bike, i need to get the rear mounted holders asap.
    Delighted overall with the session and running a marathon after it was not as daunting as it normally is, progression perhaps:)
    Whoever said i would pick up a few extra kmph on the TT bike were not lying!! Really loving the new bike.
    Distance: 150.44kms
    Time: 5:22
    Avg speed: 28kpmh
    HR: 126(65%)/152(79%)

Nightime Easy Run
    Just out for a very easy 5km, running form was shocking and my running mojo seems to be gone.
    Liverpool were terrible tonight.
    Distance: 5.2km
    Time: 28:27
    Pace: 5.28km/8.48 mile

Friday
    Early Swim - Endurance Session
    First in the pool this morning, not quite sure how to plan these endurance sets so decided on doing a 300 wu, 3 sets of a 1000 mtrs with a 2min rest in between and 200 wd.
    I hit the first in 20:42 which was slow enough so picked it up on the last two sets in 19:11 and 19:25.

Gym - Lunchtime Session
    I have not been to the gym in a while so took it handy enough and focussed on core work and upper body.
    Time: 45 minutes

Evening Spin
    I had notplans to head out but it was a lovely evening and a mate of mine was heading out so went out straight after work. Took it really handy.
    Distance: 46.34km
    Time: 1:44:12
    Avg Speed: 26.7kpmh
    No HRM

Looking forward to the Fingal Duathlon in the morning and just found out the Sportsman is on this Sunday even though on the original list it was down for the week after:confused: so a double race weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

That Carlingford to Newry rd can be a bit tricky for a cyclist JB, esp on aTT bike. There is a good route up through the mountains which has no traffic on it and great views that takes you out in the same place and you get a good bit of hill work in too.

Re the Sportsmans. I had same confusion over the date as different sites had different dates. Think it starts at 9.30am. Hopefully going to do it. 1st one of the year. Haven't done a tap from Barca though so don't know how I'll fare. Haven't been on the bike since a turbo in Nov. Might see you there so. Good luck tomorrow in Fingal

dare2be wrote: »
    That Carlingford to Newry rd can be a bit tricky for a cyclist JB, esp on aTT bike. There is a good route up through the mountains which has no traffic on it and great views that takes you out in the same place and you get a good bit of hill work in too.

Re the Sportsmans. I had same confusion over the date as different sites had different dates. Think it starts at 9.30am. Hopefully going to do it. 1st one of the year. Haven't done a tap from Barca though so don't know how I'll fare. Haven't been on the bike since a turbo in Nov. Might see you there so. Good luck tomorrow in Fingal

Yeah that brings you across the Cooley Mountains...i think. Good luck tomorrow if you decide to race.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed todays race, even the lung busting hill we had the pleasure of running up twice:) I finished in 19th place overall and was slightly dissapointed with the bike split. I felt i could go faster, something like a 34kpmh average but only managed to hit 32.6kpmh as the legs were slightly heavy from a busy training week. Well done to Nomadic for another well placed 4th in the race.

Still happy to go under 60 minutes and place in the top twenty, i will try build on this at the Sportsman duathlon tomorrow. Sure it's clear i did not work hard enough only getting the hr up to 91% of max:rolleyes:

1st Run
    Bike
    2nd Run
    Splits - 10:08 / 38:10 / 11:24 - Total 59:44
    Results

Savage stuff from Ireland in the rugby surely i cannot even jinx them with 20 minutes to go:)

Advertisement