Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I don't think so! Otherwise I'll have to add about 4-5 hours a week to my tally over the next 3 months :cool:

That was one BUSY weekend JB :eek: Congrats on your first Tri. Hey trust me, you can only improve from there. Your swim was out of whack with you pool time so its just a case of getting used to the OW and wetsuit. You got stronger with each discipline too which is a very good sign. Well done on the pacing job. A mate of mine was delighted with his 1:48 PB thanks to yourself and --amadeus-- Top job!

Good to hear your mate got around in the time he wanted. Pacing gig was good craic. Swim times are miles off between pool and OW, just going to concentrate on technique and forget about what times i am hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Com'n JB, don't be slacking - surely you could have squeezed in a core session or something in over the week end too! :p

Congrats on losing your tri virginity. It's some experience doing the first OW swim in a tri situation. But as the lads said, all it needs is some more OW swimming to get the feel for OW and then a few more OW races and you will be used to it. All last year I never started right up the front as I was not willing to be in the mosh pit, and I also went wide in some races to stay away from the crowds. I did get a few belts now and again and it does throw you off. Anyway, I also think that you can hit your original IM target. You fairly flew the rest of it mind you. If you can get some OW swims with others too and do some close swimming/drafting for practise then that would also help. On Sunday evening I met a few lads from Drogheda who had just set up a new Tri Club in the town; I will try and get contact details for one of them - surely they would be doing some OW swims over the next few weeks.

Fair play on the pacing - a great experience for sure.

Were you in McPhail's on Sunday evening? - I'ld say there was some craic had. The town was feckin alive, what a buzz.

That's great - the wee lad bring his bike over beside your turbo - they're gas craic. If my two are about when I am doing my stretching they come over and stand against the wall under me and try imitate what I am doing and then we go from one stretch to the next. The one they like the most is when I throw my leg up onto the ledge to stretch out the hamstrings as they use my leg as a bridge, a swing and/or a seat!

As for weeding - I did my weeds last week - roundup is your only man! They still haven't died yet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Three things I learned from Open water swims

1. Dont get ideas above your station i am a mid pack swimmer so thats where I start. You will get swum over by the fish if you start up too high

2. Make sure and do a good warm up, the shock of the cold can tire you out

3. Dont go out too fast, its hard to pace yourself when you dont have a wall coming up to you every 25 metres. If you aren't careful you will be exhausted after 200 metres

The Ironman swim you will have a different mind set than the sprint, you will start off slower and build into it, which will in turn should give you a relaxed stroke from the start. You will get used to being knocked about, it doesn't bother me at all now as long as I don't get a elbow in the mouth

1.15 should be well within your compass you are just panicking after a bad swim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jackyback also managed to get a bit of drinking and gambling squeezed into that weekend as well :p

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Windy Bike Session
    By god it was windy out there today but managed to pick up the pace on the way back with a decent tailwind. HRM off the charts again, need to lube up the strap/sensors:rolleyes:
    Distance: 21km & 7km commute
    Time: 40:22
    Avg speed: 31.2kpmh
    HR: 217/253...get the defibilator quick.

Evening Club Interval Session
    More of the same as last Tuesdays session although a shorter wu/wd. Club is buzzing right now after the weekends 10k race.
    Distance|Time|Pace km
    3.02km wu|16:53|5.35km
    600 mtr|1:58|3.17km
    600 mtr|2:00|3.22km
    600 mtr|2:00|3.21km
    200 mtr|0:31|2.35km
    200 mtr|0:30|2.32km
    200 mtr|0:30|2.31km
    600 mtr|2:09|3.36km
    1.47km wd|7:44|5.17km
    totals7.5km|34:20|4.35km

Heading to bed now as up for an early swim in the morning, half tempted to head down to the beach but will wait and see what the weather is like.

• Advertisement

@ Mac - Yeah a few group OW swims would be good. I managed a quick sneaky pint in McPhails, i would have loved to stay out for a few but i was bloody wrecked after a hectic weekend. I fecking hate weeding by the way:)

@ CW - Thanks for the OW swim tips, a small bit of panic on my side alright.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Jackyback also managed to get a bit of drinking and gambling squeezed into that weekend as well :p

Not much drinking and very little punting unless you are talking about our Conn bet....that is like taking candy from a baby.:p

Not much drinking and very little punting unless you are talking about our Conn bet....that is like taking candy from a baby.:p

Dat's fighting talk :pac:

Great news is that we have an extra €25 euros in the bet for free. Though I reckon we should make Brian run or pay up the full 50. There's as much chance of him winning the money as there was of you runing sub 3:10 in London :p

Dat's fighting talk :pac:

Great news is that we have an extra €25 euros in the bet for free. Though I reckon we should make Brian run or pay up the full 50. There's as much chance of him winning the money as there was of you runing sub 3:10 in London :p

I would like to see him run it purely to see the look on his face when he crosses the marathon distance and realises he has another half to go. I am a 100% certain i will have that sub 3:10 ticked off later in the year, probably Amsterdam or Munich as i want to pace Dublin if i can. I can take a friendly wager on that aswell if you want:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on popping your tri cherry. Don't stress the swim. These things happen. It;s a whole other world once you take a bit of a hammering and getting composed after can be difficult. Take the advice of the others and you'll be sound!

Busy weekend for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I would like to see him run it purely to see the look on his face when he crosses the marathon distance and realises he has another half to go. I am a 100% certain i will have that sub 3:10 ticked off later in the year, probably Amsterdam or Munich as i want to pace Dublin if i can. I can take a friendly wager on that aswell if you want:)

If i was to run it, you would be nowhere near me at the 26 mile mark. Myself and Oisin would be 10-15 mins up the road from the 2 of you and ye would be desperately hoping i blow up and i think deep down you know that.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Early morning swim
    Arrived to the pool about 20 minutes late so only managed about 70 minutes. This was a bit all over the place and never got into the zone. I think i am trying too many things out rather than sticking to what was working for me a few weeks back. Anyway the session was 2x200 wu, 4x500, 5x50 (as fast as i could) and 300 wd.
    Distance: 2,950 mtrs

Evening Brick
    Plan: 2hr bike/45min run
    Actual: 1:55 bike/49min run

Bike
    This was a very laboured effort and i was close to calling the session off early as the legs were not there tonight. I picked a very hilly course instead of hill repeats. Whilst some of the hills are challenging enough i normally do the majority of them seated but no not tonight as i was up out of the saddle for most of them and even resorted to using the granny gear:(
    A few kms off the pace i would have expected so not the quality session i had hoped for.
    Time: 1:55:11
    Distance: 48.74km
    Avg speed: 25.4kmph
    Climbing: 566mtrs
    HR: 136/160

Run
    I had targeted around 4:50 pace but i knew this was not possible given the way the legs were feeling. Started off slow (autolap turned off) and was averaging around 5:13 pace up to the 5km mark so picked it up and was starting to feel good and strong towards the end hitting around the 4.50 pace and giving it socks up the hill to home.
    Time: 49:20
    Distance: 9.7km
    Pace: 5:05km/8:11mile
    HR: 155/169
    Not quite what i had hoped for overall from the session but still 2:45 brick midweek is not to be sniffed at.

As the title suggests finding it really tough now and i have not hit the peak phase yet. Rolled the legs tonight and going to have a nice hot epsom salts bath as i have a midweek LSR planned for tomorrow evening so need to get the legs to wake up.
    Just feeling so tired even though i am sleeping more than i ever have:rolleyes:
    Finally a race photo of me on Betty Crockett. I still think the position is not aggresive enough but comfort comes first for now. I do not have the Lance Armstrong look down yet:cool:
    5675734907_71701288a9_b2.jpg

If i was to run it, you would be nowhere near me at the 26 mile mark. Myself and Oisin would be 10-15 mins up the road from the 2 of you and ye would be desperately hoping i blow up and i think deep down you know that.

I reckon between 5-10 minutes but deep down i think you know that i would catch you in the end:) There is only one way to find out:cool:

Thursday
    25.5km midweek LSR
    These sessions are bloody tough to get through at the weekend let alone midweek after a hard days work. Anyhow headed out after work and the plan was to keep it around 5 min km pace. Took me about 4km to get into things and by 8km the heavens opened up and i got drenched. Hit the running track and ran with a few clubmates for around 12k before finishing up. I only took one gel around the 18km mark.
    Kids said i smelt worse than the dog when i got home:o jumped straight into the shower as i was soaked through and shivering. Time to start building these LSR's back up again until i hit a few 34kms before taper.
    Distance: 25.48km
    Time: 2:06
    Pace: 4:56km/7.57mile
    HR: 160/212 (not sure what the story is with 212 nowhere near that showing on the hr graph:confused:)

On an unrelated note i have been using the PHD recovery mix the last while and the orange barley flavour is the business and does the trick nicely, well worth a try.
    I have the half IM in just over 3 weeks and i am due a recovery week in two weeks should i just push this out a week and treat it as the taper week? Pointless doing a recovery week and then followed by a taper week:confused:

Seeing as Oisin has already agreed to run the Mara in 3:30 with me next year (then push On) I doubt it. He ran up to Mara with me this year and it did him no harm.

Anyways this time next year, my Marthon PB will be faster than both you and Oisin.
    I think deep down you know that :pac:

Forgot to mention i done 50 minutes in the gym at lunchtime yesterday. Left the legs alone and concentrated on upper body and core.

Friday
    AM Turbo session - 60 mins
    I done an easy bike on the turbo before work as i had moved the swim session until this evening as i planned an OW session. Plan was to take it easy and spin the legs out at a higher than normal cadence and bring the legs back to life after last nights LSR. I did throw in 10 minutes in the middle of +250 watts in as i was getting a bit bored of the easy pace:) The other 50 minutes was all in the small ring.
    Distance: 33.9kms
    Time: 60 mins
    Avg speed: 33.8kpmh
    Power: 197
    Cadence: 100
    2905kj/rel power 2.9 watt/kg
    friameasysession.jpg

Lunchtime Recovery Run
    Again the plan for this was an easy recovery run. It feels like ages since i done one of these short recovery runs. Took a km or so for the legs to get going and had to reign in the pace to keep it nice and slow.
    Distance: 7km
    Time: 38:49
    Pace: 5:33km/8.55mile
    HR: 145

Evening OW Swim
    I nearly did not get out for this making all sorts of excuses with the wind and a bit of drizzle outside. Thankfully i manned the fck up and took a dose of HTFU and headed down to Bettystown beach. I took the garmin with me, put it into a sealed bag and put inside one of my two swim hats. It seems to have captured everything ok, i was half expecting to see the bag full of water getting out of the sea:p
    I had the wind behind me for the majority of the way which no doubt helped and whilst the water was cold it was no colder than the lake swims i have done so far. I kept along the coast and with the water being choppy bilaterial breathing did not work too well so just kept breathing to the left going out and vice versa on the way back.
    I treated myself to a nice bag of chips from Macaris chipper when i got out yum yum:)
    Finally a bit of a confidence boost on the swimming front. Hopefully i can get another OW in over the weekend.
    Distance: 1:43km
    Time: 30:36
    Pace: 2.8kmph

Tomorrow is a relaxing day as i am bringing the family up to the Louth Track Championships as its normally a big day out for the club. JB Junior should be racing and i may jaunt around and do the 200 and 400 for the craic as it will have no recovery impact on my training at all and will be done for the experience.
    Sunday will be the 5 hour bike and 1 hour run off and it may be an early one so could be on the turbo.

so your not pokering this weekend?
    I think I'll play the JP side event tomorrow.

so your not pokering this weekend?
    I think I'll play the JP side event tomorrow.

Nah just cannot find the time, i may get back into after IM as there is not enough hours in the week. Best of luck in the side event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I took the garmin with me, put it into a sealed bag and put inside one of my two swim hats. It seems to have captured everything ok, i was half expecting to see the bag full of water getting out of the sea:p

I see you have 305 , I have a 405 ,how did you manage to press start if the watch was inside a bag and a hat?
    I notice that the timing access was as if it was on your wrist

Time: 00:30:36
    Moving Time: 00:30:09
    Elapsed Time: 00:31:04

Good stuff

Abhainn wrote: »
    I see you have 305 , I have a 405 ,how did you manage to press start if the watch was inside a bag and a hat?
    I notice that the timing access was as if it was on your wrist

Time: 00:30:36
    Moving Time: 00:30:09
    Elapsed Time: 00:31:04

Good stuff

It is only one of those ziplock clear bags so you can easily press start without opening the bag. I actually walked into the water before i started with the hats off. I think i clicked it once to start then stopped it then started again and quickly put the hats on and off i went:)
    I would not trust keeping it on the wrist as they are not fully waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I would not trust keeping it on the wrist as they are not fully waterproof.

As I found out the day after Limerick, when my 205 packed in. I opened it and one of the battery contacts was corroded, along with the lousdpeaker, and that was just from sweat on my wrist over time. Apparently, moisture gets in through the loudspeaker holes. :(

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    As I found out the day after Limerick, when my 205 packed in. I opened it and one of the battery contacts was corroded, along with the lousdpeaker, and that was just from sweat on my wrist over time. Apparently, moisture gets in through the loudspeaker holes. :(

Yeah pain in the rear, I have had mine act up in heavy rain so would hate to see what damage would be done if worn on the wrist in a lake or at sea.:eek:

Louth track championships called off today for some reason so going to get another quick swim session in later when I bring the kids to the pool.

Saturday
    Headed down to the pool with the two eldest lads and managed to get in 14x100s whilst pretending to be a submarine and a whale in between:)

Sunday
    The Long Brick Session
    Another planned turbo this week as i needed to stay in the house to look after the youngest whilst Mrs JB brought the other kids to mass as the eldest lad is making his communion next week.
    I had intended an early start at about 5am however i turned the alarm off at 4.30am, done the morning feed for the baby and lay back on the bed and fell asleep:o I eventually got going just after 7.30am but had to stop for a while to get the kids brekkie and dressed.
    I had 3.5 hours done at this stage of the UKIM course and i had to give myself a good kick up the hole to get back on finish it off. My tacx trainer is great but the software can be buggy as hell at times. I tried to take it off pause but the screen was froze so i needed to start up a new session....bummer.
    Got the 5 hours in and on the hydration i had two 500ml energy mix drinks and two 500ml water with a zym electro tab in it. I had 6 gels, 2 homemade flapjacks, energy bar and an orange.
    Long old session to do on the turbo and it takes some focus to stay on it, thankfully i had the first stage of the Giro and the big boxing fight from last night to occupy me.
    08thMayIMUKroute.jpg
    remainderoflongbike.jpg
    Distance: 164.9kms
    Time: 5 hours
    Avg speed: 33kmph
    HR: 131/159

Brick Run Summary
    It was probably a good 10 minutes before i got out the door. Sun was out but thankfully a bit of drizzle came down to keep me cool. I felt super strong on this one and felt like i could have gone on for another hour or two, which is the way it should be. Decent enough pace off the bike aswell.
    Distance: 12.4kms
    Pace: 4:50km/7.47mile
    HR: 156/167

Really happy with this 6 hour session. I lost about 5 lbs in total for the 6 hours, not sure if this is good or bad but i was sweating like hell on the turbo:confused:
    Total 6 hours - 164.9kms/12.4kms
    Now to eat the Sunday dinner and out for more gardening duties:o

Week 25 Summary
    03rd May - 08th May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|16:59|343.38km
    Swimming|3|2:10|5.78km
    Cycling|4|8:50|275.5km
    Running|5|5:09|62.1km
    Conditioning|1|00:50|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 08th May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|283|325:19|5827.84km
    Swimming|59|54:20|154.73km
    Cycling|91|151:50|4532.82km
    Running|110|100:19|1140.29km
    Conditioning|17|15:20|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

Another decent week although the legs got tired midweek, thankfully i got them back for the key session today. Really pleased with the running mileage for the week although i cannot see me doing much more even during peak as i think 70/80km is the limit before other parts of my training suffer and i do not want to risky injury.

84 days to race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Solid week there JB. I think I'm destined for a 5h turbo this weekend and I'm crying inside at the thought of it. Yeah on the running, mind how you go. 60km is good mileage with all the other training you are doing on top but there will be a point where its gets dangerously close to over reaching, especially since you also have 2 Marathons in the bag. The heavy mileage is not necessary. Quality over quantity on every decision for the next 10 weeks dude

I was not due to hit peak for another week but given the weeks holiday between now and then the plans have changed slightly. Here is what the remaining 12 weeks look like and i would appreciate any comments from the experienced folks around here.
    Below is the summary of hours covered in the last 13 weeks of the build phase and positive/negatives from it.

Average weekly hours/kms - 15:34 / 273.52kms
    Average swim hours/kms - 2:33 / 6.79kms
    Average bike hours/kms - 8:25 / 226.72kms
    Average run hours/kms - 4:04 / 40.01kms
    Average conditioning - 32 mins

Positives
    1. Bike - Lots of time spent out on the bike and some quality and tough hill sessions included. IM distance benchmark hit on the bike and improvements on power/cadence/avg speed.
    2. Run - Funnily enough less mileage on the run in the build phase compared to the base phase but this is probably down to the early marathon training at the start of the year. More quality in my runs though with the inclusion of the interval sessions with the club. Revised IM run time thanks to a good pb in Barca and overall a faster run pace for the same effort/hr.
    3. Overall fitness levels and stamina are coming on very well.

Negatives
    1. Swim has plateaued and needs corrected in the next few weeks.
    2. In hindsight two marathons was daft and London knocked the stuffing out of me and probably affected one week of my IM training.
    3. Diet was poor and to many beers as treats after tough training weeks even though i am still close to race weight. Booze ban (apart from a few on hols:)) until race day!!

The plan from here
    W/C 09/05 - Week 1 Peak
    W/C 16/05 - Week 2 Peak
    W/C 23/05 - Recovery week with HIM race included as a training day.
    W/C 30/05 - Week 3 Peak
    W/C 06/06 - Week 4 Peak
    W/C 13/06 - Recovery week
    W/C 20/06 - Week 5 Peak
    W/C 27/06 - Week 6 Peak
    W/C 04/07 - Week 7 Peak
    W/C 11/07 - Taper week 1 - reduce volume by 20%
    W/C 18/07 - Taper week 2 - reduce volume by 20 %
    W/C 25/07 - Taper week 3/Race week - reduce volume by 30%

Solid week there JB. I think I'm destined for a 5h turbo this weekend and I'm crying inside at the thought of it. Yeah on the running, mind how you go. 60km is good mileage with all the other training you are doing on top but there will be a point where its gets dangerously close to over reaching, especially since you also have 2 Marathons in the bag. The heavy mileage is not necessary. Quality over quantity on every decision for the next 10 weeks dude

The 5 hour turbo is a killer and soul destroying but for me it was the only way to get the session in at the weekend. On the running front it will probably only increase by another 10/15km or so as that would be my limit. That increase will be over the long run as i build back up to 35km just to maintain the stamina in the legs and the long brick run. I am going to keep a weekly interval session in the plan.
    If you get a chance give us some feedback on my projected plan for the next 12 weeks, in unchartered water here:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey JB,I'm not experienced in that I have not yet done an IM but you and I are on similar journies and at similar stages. You have pretty much got the bones of the work done that I have put in too. I've been doing my own mulling and planning too so a couple of things strike me.

The HIM in the run up. Probably a good Idea with enough time. Fink advises you do do one but NOT on a recovery week! I've decided to not do the Tri Limits one in Tyrone as it falls on a recovery week. I looked at it every way, even reshuffling the programme so it fell on a training week. What I was doing was arranging things to suit the HIM which is why I dropped it. You still have plenty of time though as your HIM falls 2 weeks earlier and your IM is 2 weeks later than mine. I'd suggest pushing your rec week out past the HIM, then 2 weeks peak, another rec week, then the last 2 peak weeks before taper.

Taper 3 week? 75%, 50%, 20% of your last peak week.

Running volume. I was the same. I had a much higher volume over the base period, not because I hd a marathon coming up but because I identified my running base as a weakness. With the intensity in the peak period and races included, you need more recovery time each week. Extra running volume will eat into that recovery and will bring you closer to burnout/injury. Think of it like this. You have hit the distance benchmark for swimming, cycling and running! The work done to get you to that place will stand to you. I'm fighting the false need to heap huge weeks of volume on top of each other in the lead in. The single most important priority is staying healthy. You want to be 100% fresh on race day. If you overreach a lot longer than your taper to get back to your best shape. Don't be afraid to drop sessions if your body would rather sleep.

Cheers MCOS, revised plan attached.

W/C 09/05 - Week 1 Peak
    W/C 16/05 - Week 2 Peak
    W/C 23/05 - Week 3 peak inclusive of HIM race.
    W/C 30/05 - Recovery week
    W/C 06/06 - Week 4 Peak
    W/C 13/06 - Week 5 Peak
    W/C 20/06 - Recovery week
    W/C 27/06 - Week 6 Peak
    W/C 04/07 - Week 7 Peak
    W/C 11/07 - Taper week 1 - reduce volume by 75%
    W/C 18/07 - Taper week 2 - reduce volume by 50%
    W/C 25/07 - Taper week 3/Race week - reduce volume by 20%

Monday
    AM Swim Session
    First in the pool this morning. Back to following some of the set plans in the DF swim sets rather than doing my own thing, not an expert but they seem pretty cack tbh.
    Swim set 14 - 500wu, 8x50dr, 6x(50+100+150) w/20rest, 8x50dr and 300wd
    Total distance: 3400mtrs
    Time: 1:30

PM Turbo - 60 minute Interval Session (Big Gear)
    Time to kick start the peak phase and raise the intensity of my sessions. The plan for this was 10 minutes holding 230+watts and 5 mins holding 300+watts x 4.
    This was tough going but i dug in and managed to hold 330/340watts for the last set, even managed to push the warm down when i seen i was close to 40km for the hour.
    I was watching the Giro on the TV and near fell off the bike when i seen the footage of that poor guy (Wouter Weylantd) from Leopard Trek. What the hell was the TV Director thinking of showing that footage when it was clear it was a bad one. I was sorry to hear he passed away later in the day, RIP.
    wk1peakintensesession.jpg
    Distance: 40kms
    Power: 259
    Cadence: 94
    Energy: 3787kj
    Rel power: 3.81kg/watt

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Recovery Bike
    Just to loosen the legs up from last nights session. Still windy out there, kept it nice and steady and put the hammer down for the last 1.5km back to work.
    Distance: 18.32km +7km commute
    Time: 36:45
    Avg speed: 29.9kpmh
    HR: 139/175

Evening Tempo Session.....well sorta
    Plan: Club Session
    Actual: Tempo Session
    Busy night in the house so did not make the club session. I decided i would do a tempo session of sorts with about 5/6kms at a faster pace. Headed up around the running track and bumped into one of the faster lads who was finishing off doing a warm down. Only done 3kms in 4.10, 4.13 and 4.15 decided to leave it at that as i had already run 9k at that stage and want to keep the legs fresh for the cycle tomorrow evening.
    Distance: 13.7kms
    Time: 1:06:44
    Pace: 4.52km/7.50mile
    HR: 155/175

Advertisement