Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Savage week JB! 8 hrs in the saddle :o 23 hrs in total, you are really puttingt in the hours. Can we take it that this will be the longest bike ride you will do?

Yes this will be the longest day in the saddle. I am however doing the Wicklow 200 but i am hopeful of completing this in 7 hours. The Wicklow 200 will be a long training day as i plan to do at least a 22k brick run straight after it.
    It may seem like overkill doing the 8 hours on the bike but in my own mind it has mentally prepared me for the difficult bike leg in UKIM knowing that i can go over the time/distance required as you never know what could happen on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Savage wekl put down there JB. Make sure you take that rec week seriously afte rthe HIM. On teh 22km run off the W200. Counter productive IMO dude. I did teh W200 last year. It a long day out, lots of climbing and good prep for teh IMUK but 22km is exessive in terms of teh recovery time you will need. What is the purpose of such a long brick run?

Just checked the training plan and your right mcos that sort of run should be done after a much shorter bike. I think don finks longest run is something like a 1.5/2 hour bike with a 3 hour run.
    Will deffo be taking the recovery weeks seriously as they are just as important as the training weeks at this stage.

Monday
    AM Swim Session
    Session 6 Middle distance Set
    Another one of Interested swim sets with the main set being 5x200 at 80% effort and 5x100 as active recovery after each one. I also done 10x50 alternating between kick and pull.
    Total distance: 2900mtrs

PM Turbo - 75 minute Interval Session (Big Gear)
    Similiar to the session i done a while back but with raised intensity and an extra interval added in. The session was 10 minutes holding 240+watts and 5 mins holding 310+watts x 5. I was willing to change it midway if the legs gave out after the big effort at the weekend.
    I was really expecting this to be tough going but it was not until the last two sets i really started to feel the burn. I had to peel myself off the bike after the last one:) I think that is the highest i ever had my heart rate on a bike which is saying something as i am normally a good 10 bpm less on the turbo for the same effort out on the road. I am really starting to feel more powerful on the bike.
    I was catching up with my viewing of the Giro and Contador is some animal, it will be interesting to see how that case pans out as he is a shoe in to take the Giro overall win.
    Distance: 51.4kms
    Time: 75 mins
    Avg speed: 41.1kmph
    Power: 274
    Cadence: 95
    HR: 155/179 (85% avg & max is 97%:eek:)

Pretty pissed off about the latest on the ash cloud as my holiday and race plans could be out the window. Checking into things this morning to see if i can get out earlier as i really need this HIM for race experience as its only my second tri event. It will also act as a guide on how i am shaping up.
    The thoughts of dealing with Ryanair on changing flights has me cringing a bit:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Pretty pissed off about the latest on the ash cloud as my holiday and race plans could be out the window. Checking into things this morning to see if i can get out earlier as i really need this HIM for race experience as its only my second tri event. It will also act as a guide on how i am shaping up.
    The thoughts of dealing with Ryanair on changing flights has me cringing a bit:o

Same for me but in the opposite direction for this Friday. Surely our Donore 5k bet is void if my flight is cancelled?

• Advertisement

Same for me but in the opposite direction for this Friday. Surely our Donore 5k bet is void if my flight is cancelled?

I am taking the Ryanair line, act of god means no refund:) Only joking yeah bets are off.
    Bloody annoyed as hell i tried to ring Ryanair and they are not taking calls, looking at the forecasts it looks as if it will make its way down South later in the week.

I am taking the Ryanair line, act of god means no refund:) Only joking yeah bets are off.
    Bloody annoyed as hell i tried to ring Ryanair and they are not taking calls, looking at the forecasts it looks as if it will make its way down South later in the week.

No fear of me winning that bet anyway. Not in sub 18 shape at the moment (18'42 last night in a London 5k), better pacing and a faster course might take off 20/25 secs but not 43.

I wouldnt worry about the ash cloud, it's looking better for the weekend, the south shouldnt be affected.

Have you seen the Tyler Hamilton 60 minutes interview about Lance? Starting to come to the conclusion that they're all on it, every rider in the peloton. Mind you a blood transfusion or 2 would do your IM time no harm :D

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Tempo Run - 2km wu/5km tempo/2km wd
    As the OW swim sessions are replacing my Tuesday club runs for the next few weeks i am working away at some tempo runs to keep me sharp. The plan for the session was to run at the prescribed McMillan tempo pace which would have me around 4:15km pace.
    If felt tougher than it should with the wind and rain on the grass which did not help with traction but the 5km felt ok and a nice 2km warm down run back to work. I cannot wait to race a few 5/10ks after IM as i reckon i could have a good craic at sub 19 and possibly a sub 40.
    Distance: 9km
    Time: 42:35 (21:16 for the 5k)
    Pace: avg 4:44km tempo pace @4.15km
    HR: 154/173 (tempo avg at 159:) plenty more in the tank with a Z2 hr for the pace).

Evening OW Swim
    Met up with tri club again for another OW swim around Clogherhead. This was much choppier than the previous week and the wind and waves were hammering into us on the way out and i got my fair share of sea water down the gob. Still enjoyable enough and a satisfying session once its over.
    Need to start building the distance though when the water warms up a bit more.
    Distance: 1200mtrs

PM Turbo
    Just a quick 30 minutes when i got back from the OW session to act as a leg loosener with a high cadence. I was actually laughting to myself on the bike to how i have replaced weekends away in Europe for races instead of poker tournaments. How i have changed in the last 12 months.
    Distance: 15.74km
    Time: 30 mins
    Cadence: 106

Ash Cloud looking a bit more promising today so hopefully it stays clear until Friday.

Have you seen the Tyler Hamilton 60 minutes interview about Lance? Starting to come to the conclusion that they're all on it, every rider in the peloton. Mind you a blood transfusion or 2 would do your IM time no harm :D

No must have a look at it later this evening if i get a chance. Forget about the transfusion ship me some of that clenbuterol you have been using to enhance your performance:pac:

I was actually laughting to myself on the bike to how i have replaced weekends away in Europe for races instead of poker tournaments. How i have changed in the last 12 months.

Ash Cloud looking a bit more promising today so hopefully it stays clear until Friday.

You were sh!te at poker anyway so its just as well you gave that up. Queens vs Kings, you should have seen that one coming :p

I love the way Ireland was given the all clear for 48 hours up until lunchtime friday. Perfect timing for it to fck up our respective weekends. You could do Donore and beat Meno just to sicken him if you cant fly!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Was feeling down and unmotivated the last few days when I just stumbled on your log. Absolute animal stuff and I went out and murdered my hill runs tonight after reading it.
    Really motivational stuff.

Good luck and drive on....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Glad to see this is still going Fran. IM should be a breeze

@Brianderunner: In fairness you were a sh1te dealer:)
    @Rawhead: Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed your hills sessions
    @Mellor: Long time Mellor i have been tracking your log and the training seems to be going well dude, keep it up.

Wednesday
    AM Swim Session - Session 9 4k set
    I was not feeling full of energy getting into the pool and i knew it would be a struggle with this long session. The plan was
    400wu, 10x200 long pull set, 6x100, 12x50 alternate 50 kick w/board & 50 f/s swim and 400wd.
    I got as far as the second 50 alternates and called it a day. I think the swim from the night before was still in my arms, just done some backstroke and breaststroke to warm down and hit the jacuzzi for 10 minutes.
    Distance: 3425mtrs

Midweek Brick
    Plan: 3hr bike & 75 minute run
    Actual 2:43 bike & no run
    I had planned to get out on the bike but with the wind and rain i opted for the turbo. I had trouble with the PC/Tacx software and must have been 2 hours trying to get it to work (well pissed off at this stage:mad:) I had to reload the software and finally i got the power & cadence working correctly. I loaded up the gps map of the Challenge Bike Course and planned to cycle the 90km route which is an out & back twice. The course is fairly flat so i am hopeful of a fast bike split at the weekend.
    With all the messing about it was 11pm when i got off the bike and i did not have the heart to go out running at that time after all the messing about.
    Distance: 90.4km
    Time: 2:43
    Avg speed: 33.2kmph
    Power: 219
    Cadence: 99
    HR: 133/146

Took the tri bike apart and have it packed up and need to get the rest of the gear ready tonight.
    The plan up to Sunday is,
    Thursday - Gym lunchtime/Club Interval session pm
    Friday - Rest/travel day
    Saturday - Swim/Bike/Run race tune up
    Sunday - Smash the **** out of the course:).
    Next week - Relax and chill on my recovery week with the family.
    I probably will not be back on here until next week dependant on wifi over in the hotel.

Best of luck this weekend JB,with the amount of work you have done I've no doubt you will sma****. Pace it smart and execute all 3 legs to plan.

BTW you had a 4:15 brick planned MIDWEEK :eek: Flippin' hel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey JB,

All the best for the HIM over the weekend. I can't remember which one you are doing?
    That was some cycle down to Wexford.

Are you a member with Drogheda Tri Club?

@Mellor: Long time Mellor i have been tracking your log and the training seems to be going well dude, keep it up.

Thanks Fran,
    yeah, I'm still enjoying myslef, and makign strength gains. Slowly upping the cardio element, obvious nothing compared to the stuff you are eating up here,

Best of luck on tuesday

Thursday
    50min lunchtime gym session
    Usual routine but did do some leg exercises. Mainly focussed on core work.

Evening Club Session
    They were doing 12x200s tonight, not a chance i was doing 12 with the wind and with a race coming up so done 6 handy in 33,32,34,35,32,33 and then finished off with a few laps, 4.26km at 4:39km pace. Slightly worried the HR was higher than normal for that pace.
    Distance: 7.09km
    Time: 32:13
    Pace: 4.32km
    HR: 160/182
    Best of luck this weekend JB,with the amount of work you have done I've no doubt you will sma****. Pace it smart and execute all 3 legs to plan.

BTW you had a 4:15 brick planned MIDWEEK :eek: Flippin' hel

That is the plan not to overcook the bike and give the run a good go. Agree with you on the midweek brick probably overkill actually looking at my training this year i think i can get quicker with less volume and the right mix of training......less is more etc.
    Macanri wrote: »
    Hey JB,

All the best for the HIM over the weekend. I can't remember which one you are doing?
    That was some cycle down to Wexford.

Are you a member with Drogheda Tri Club?

Challenge Barcelona Macs, the cycle was a killer though stuck with it. Not a member of Drogheda Tri (yet) just meeting up with them for the OW swims as i don't like heading out on my own.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks Fran,
    yeah, I'm still enjoying myslef, and makign strength gains. Slowly upping the cardio element, obvious nothing compared to the stuff you are eating up here,
    Best of luck on tuesday
    What am i meant to be doing on Tuesday Mellor:pac: If its the race thats on Sunday:D
    Any plans later in the year for a full marathon after you complete the SydneytoSurf run? Well done on the strength gains i have gone the opposite direction given the training, i would probably struggle to bench 55kg now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck on Sunday JB. Hopefully it goes as well for you as your last race in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck on Sunday JB, I hope it goes to plan. As MCOS said - stick to the plan :) Looking forward to the report

What am i meant to be doing on Tuesday Mellor:pac: If its the race thats on Sunday:D
    Any plans later in the year for a full marathon after you complete the SydneytoSurf run? Well done on the strength gains i have gone the opposite direction given the training, i would probably struggle to bench 55kg now.

For some reason, I thought it was the 31st, am I thinking of the wrong race.

Plan at the moment is to just get to august, hopefully wile maintaining strength, maybe even slight gains. Going to try keep up 2 sessions a week but volume will drop as the running distances increase.

After that there's a half marathon in september I'm considering, similar to the course I did last year over the Harbour Bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

bon chance, hope there's no surf in calella and enjoy that silky smooth bike course over there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck for the weekend JB. P'rick though for getting some sunshine:D

5hr 21 Happy enough with the time considering it was nearly a DNS for varying reasons. Will stick up a report if I get a chance in the next few days.

Well done JB, I was following it on the website. Great bike split, it must have been great passing out all those people! Hope you are recovering well dude.

I have an hour spare with the family having a siesta so here it goes.

Pre Race
    We did not arrive over until late (11pm) on the Friday night as the original flight time was changed. By the time we picked up the rental, got lost and near crashed the rental we arrived at the hotel near 1am, wrecked, tired and glad to hit the bed. Woke up early on the Saturday morning and my back was in bits, must have been lugging the bike bag up two flights of stairs as it would not fit in the lift.
    Time was tight today as the number pickup closed early and race briefing was at 11am. I collected everything I needed and decided to do an out and back of the bike course (45km). I bumped into 3 Galway lads who were racing, you can spot the Irish miles away as they cycled into the traffic the wrong way around a roundabout! I only managed 15km out and back as my back was screaming, hr was off the charts and my sinuses since I arrived over was going nuts. I found it very difficult to get down on the aero bars and hold the position, I was thinking to myself fck fck fck why now the day before the race.
    I had planned to do a 20 min run and swim around the course later in the day but cancelled it as the baby was very sick and we had to bring her the doctors. By Saturday evening all thoughts of racing the following morning were out the window and I was in horrible form in general.

Race Day
    Only slept the guts of 2 hours with the baby up most of the night and fireworks going off with the Barca folks celebrating hard on there CL win. It was 6am and time to make my mind up. I actually had it made up for me as the missus told me she was not coming all the way for me not to race as I would be unbearable for the rest of the holiday after all the training that I put in. The missus is a real trooper. I had my breakfast, 2 nurofen for the back, hay fever tabs and headed down to the start.
    I had originally targeted 5:30 months ago, revised that to 5:15 but in my own mind I was in sub 5hr shape and probably a bit more around this fast course but for today it was about getting around for race practice in one piece without risking injury/recovery for IM.

Swim
    After my first experience in a triathlon with the swim I was bricking it. The hooter went off and into the washing machine we went. We swam into the surf for the first 200 mtrs took a right and headed along the coast for 500mtrs. There was a guy drafting me who kept pulling my ankle, once/twice I ignored and the third time I let out a kick and he disappeared. I miss sighted the 850mtr buoy for the 700mtr buoy and had to cut back across probably adding another 100mtrs on if the 1.9km swim was not enough. Hit the halfway mark and I did not see many of my AG hats around, **** another crap swim then even though I thought I was going decent enough and felt comfortable.
    With about 400 mtrs to go I had a load of other AGers from a later wave overtake me but I managed to get onto a few feet and back onto the beach.
    Out of the swim in 45:13 which was disappointing as I was hoping to do a sub 40 but glad to be out of the water and wanted to kiss the bike. To my total surprise I saw the OH out supporting me with the kids heading back into transition. I was not expecting to see them but did I say the OH was a trooper?

T1
    I was about 5 minutes which was pretty slow although I did stop for a minute to talk to the family on the way in.

Bike
    Normally I would be looking forward to this but was unsure how I would fare with the back. Took on two bottles of the carb 2 for mix, 800ml water with 2 nuun tabs to help with the heat and cramp and about 1ltr of water at the aid stations as it was getting hot out there (26/27 degrees). Even with all the hydration on board I had noticed salt deposits appearing on the suit halfway into it and others as I passed them. For food I took nutri grain bars and 4 gels.
    One of the benefits of being a **** swimmer is that I get to pass a good few people in this case probably a few 100 as we headed out into the wind for the first 25km, I had to hold the aero position for a few minutes and sit up to give the back some relief. The course was smashing along the coast and the road surface nice and smooth. On a good day I reckon a sub 2:20 would be possible and some of the faster lads on here would eat this bike course up. I had one near miss as some guy came up the inside of me as we went through a bend and I needed to correct myself and the bike near went from under me. Even with the back problem it shows the bike work I put down is paying off with a decent positioned bike split in 2hr 35mins and an average speed of 35kmph (need to check the garmin)

T2
    In and out in less than 2 minutes, I only realised I had a cheap bike pump left in my tri suit so ditched this shortly into the run.

Run
    Like the bike I normally look forward to the run but not for me today. I had originally targeted somewhere around a 1:35 (4.30km pace) but had to revise that quickly enough as by this stage I was not feeling great and the back was killing me along with difficulty breathing with the hay fever so I resorted to a slow steady pace to get me around. The course is nice and flat with aid stations every 2.5km. I took on as much water as possible with a few well timed water over the head tricks as I practiced the art of pissing on the run!! The run was a two loop course and you head back near the finishing straight to turn back around for a second loop, I found this a bit of a tease but got another good shout from the family which drove me on. Even though I was holding around 5.15km pace I noticed I was passing a good few on the second loop which always helps. Heading for the finish I knew the 5.15 target was out and 5.20 was close however I stopped and picked up the youngest lad and jogged in the last few 100 mtrs with him and just took in the crowd and atmosphere. Tired but delighted I have completed a half IM in only my second tri. The run split was a frustrating 1.51 and a total time of 5:21:08, mid pack in my AG and better than mid pack overall.

Post Race
    Overall content with the race considering it was close to a DNS. I am not so happy with the short term build up as the two days leading up was not ideal and I will be changing my plans slightly for IM to arrive earlier and chill out. For me it is more experience gained and is if I did not know by now the swim is more crucial than ever as I need to get some IM OW distance swims in and at least try get it under 1:30 on race day. In terms of recovery a day after the race the legs feel fine, back is still giving out but worrying enough I do feel chesty so perhaps I am coming down with something, either way doing no training for the next 2 days or so and then all focus will be on IM when I get back home.
    By the way I would love to see how some of the fast guys on here would get on around this course as I could see some place well in their AG and get close to a sub 4:20. Reading some of the logs on here really does push you on to do better and I have a real taste for this tri lark. I can see myself focussing on this race distance next year as I enjoyed it.

Well done JB, thats a good read and a great performance for your first HIM. Yor training is holding up. TBH I think the swim is just about relaxing and finding a rhythm. Do your own thing you know. You have loads of mileage done in the pool so some long OW swims as a main focus will help a lot. Yep that was 35kmh for the bike and thats a very nice bike split indeed. I can't wait to cycle on smooth continental road surfaces! Again, you will be fresher and bursting with energy after a good taper for IMUK and I've no doubt a special day is in store for you.

Well done JB, you did well in less than ideal circumstances. You had a lot to deal with in the preceding 36 hours. Fair play to the better half, I tell you one thing without their support, especially when sh!t goes wrong, well things would be a lot more difficult.

Don't worry about the swim. It will come good, you just need more experience, we've all been through it believe me. I only got the sighting right after a dozen or so races! Like I said before great bike split dude. The run must have been very very tough in the heat and with a sore back.

Hope you don't come down with anything too bad and the baby is feeling better. Take the few days, maybe even a week, I find it does the world of good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What was the swell like for the swim? I didn't like the sea swims at all last year, found it dificult to get a rhythm. Super bike time, did you think it had an effect on the run after, getting the bike wrong killed my run last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fair play for battling JB and a time not to be sniffed at. Got to agree with CW. I think its pretty clear you over cooked the bike and paid on the run - definitely something to watch out hugely for in the IM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Bloody hell, JB, that was a rough buildup... Fair play on the day, unlike others here, I'm not in a position to give any advice but I know I'd be annoyed at adding 100 metres to an already long swim due to mis-sighting!
    It's all experience for the big day. That could be the perfect day!

Advertisement