Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Shopping around for a power meter at the moment and weighing up all the options and prices. I would love to get an SRM but they are very pricey so looking at alternatives. Cannot wait to start training by power!! Due to race the Dublin City Triathlon at the weekend so should be fun but if things do not settle i will just treat it the same as i did with TriAthlone. I see i got spotted twice on the IMUK coverage at the weekend, of course the dreaded collapse after the finish line was shown.....I looked a mess at the end of the race:)

Keep us posted on what you chose here. I'm thinking of going with the Power2Max option. It looks to be the most reasonable after the PowerTap. Don't have much time to research at the moment but the P2M is getting good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A bit green lately so I am. I'd love to be doing Glaway or Kenmare in a few weeks. Hell, I'd even settle for DCT just to do a Tri. I'd also love a PM to train with but that will have to wait too :rolleyes:

Very interested to see what you go with JB and to read about the difference it makes to your training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As long as compatability for both the road bike/tt bike is not an issue (waiting on confirmation from supplier) then i will be going for this although it is a 6 week lead time which seems excessive enough.

I can just imagine the conversation with the missus,
    Me "So yeah i am splashing out 1k on a PM"
    Mrs JB "So whats that then another bike"
    Me "No a power meter"
    Mrs JB "What the hell do you need that for"
    Me "To measure wattage see i will be training by power and hr to make me a better triathlete"
    Mrs JB "GTFO Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh"
    Or something like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

^^^ ha ha best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

As long as compatability for both the road bike/tt bike is not an issue (waiting on confirmation from supplier) then i will be going for this although it is a 6 week lead time which seems excessive enough.

I can just imagine the conversation with the missus,
    Me "So yeah i am splashing out 1k on a PM"
    Mrs JB "So whats that then another bike"
    Me "No a power meter"
    Mrs JB "What the hell do you need that for"
    Me "To measure wattage see i will be training by power and hr to make me a better triathlete"
    Mrs JB "GTFO Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh"
    Or something like that!!

or a shorter version could be along the lines of 'so, I met a bloke down the pub and he sold me 3 magic beans - I haggled him down to 1k'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Or wait till her b-day or your anniversery, get her a good present then drop the bombshell. Also remind her of the lovely kids you gave her and other such things

No doubt she will get a present to, thats normally how these things go down around the JB household:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No doubt she will get a present to, thats normally how these things go down around the JB household:)

I recommend something from HERE if you're going to spend a grand on a pm... :)

I recommend something from HERE if you're going to spend a grand on a pm... :)

Tiffanys ha ha you have to factor in the 5:1 ratio which means for every 1k i spend on tri a gift of €200 is required:) sounds fair.

Tiffanys ha ha you have to factor in the 5:1 ratio which means for every 1k i spend on tri a gift of €200 is required:) sounds fair.

You could buy her a nice Tiffanys paper bag for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just checked the guide there and it is actually on tonight/tomorrow morning. just set it to record on sky+ now.

Just caught this now, great footage of you fran, from the joy of the finish line to being carried off after the race, cracking stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

So what minute should i go to on 4od ;-) ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bambaata wrote: »

Right to the end, watch the last 5 minutes i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Bambaata wrote: »

Right to the end, watch the last 5 minutes i'd say.

I was thinking that was him after reading his review and pics. Brilliant stuff JB.

Just caught this now, great footage of you fran, from the joy of the finish line to being carried off after the race, cracking stuff!

The waving part after the finish was me waving/refusing to get into a wheelchair:rolleyes: That is what it looks like when you have emptied the tank:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Just watched it there - were they trying to give you that guy from True Teams Spirit wheelchair :D

So no training since Tuesday and unlikely for the rest of the week as the head cold has spread into the chest and i have an ear infection to boot so that rules out swimming:o.
    Its unlikely i will make the Dublin City Tri on Sunday but i will see what i am like on Saturday morning. If anyone is provisionally interested in doing it let me know.

I had a quick look about at a few races to finish off the season and plans up to Xmas as i am going to take two fulls weeks off from training and all tri related stuff in September to leave me hungry to launch into training in October.

28th Aug - Dublin City Triathlon Olympic Distance - 50/50 for this
    03rd September - Musgraves Triathlon /Relay swim leg for work
    10th September - Pulse Clogherhead Sprint Triathlon
    17th September - Pacing 1:50 in the Dublin Half Marathon
    W/C 19th/26th September - Break
    W/C 03rd October - Commence coached training
    31st October - Pacing 4:00 Dublin City Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Missed it bloody hell!!

Know when its on again?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Missed it bloody hell!!

Know when its on again?

Not sure when it is back on again but it can be watched online here

Well no racing for me this morning in DCT woke up at 4:30am as I had all my stuff ready to go but still feeling rough and now have tinnitus in my left ear. Instead of sneaking back to bed I accidently woke up one of the kids so got in a good 3hr session of spongebob and fireman sam.

• Advertisement

Ah that makes sense, realised at about 11 that I hadn't seen you yet.

Ah that makes sense, realised at about 11 that I hadn't seen you yet.

Yeah i must be getting some sense as normally i would race when under the weather but not this morning. No training all week and hopefully another day or two of this **** and back to normal. I now know what you go through:o

After a week of being sick I finally got out for a run tonight. Breathing still a bit laboured from the recent chest infection but the legs felt fine. Glad to be back doing something as I felt like a slob all week. Still have tinitus in the ear and the constant buzzing is making sleeping difficult.
    Cannot wait for the power meter to arrive I will probably do an FTP test before I kick off my training in October to get my training zones established.
    11.3km/55:41/4:55

I was thinking about your power meter story today. One of my clients destroyed an 8k bike at the weekend. Couldn't resist asking what he buys for the missus when he's telling her he's just written off something like that! :eek:

I was thinking about your power meter story today. One of my clients destroyed an 8k bike at the weekend. Couldn't resist asking what he buys for the missus when he's telling her he's just written off something like that! :eek:

8k:eek:was it made of gold!!

Wednesday
    Super easy recovery run
    Even though this was nearly a minute per km slower than the run yesterday i found that i never got going on this run at all as i was parched and i find it hard to hold decent form when going slow.
    8.51km/48:58/5:45...snails pace

20 minute FTP Test
    I decided i may as well do this now as it will be 6 weeks until they deliver the power meter and i will probably do a bit of work in between on the turbo so may as well get some numbers to work off.
    I was secretly looking forward to/dreading this in equal measures all day. Got the kids off to bed (back to school tomorrow:)) and hooked up the turbo for a 12 minute warm up with 2.5 minutes at a steady pace and spurts of planned FTP effort for 30 seconds x 4. Took a recovery for a few minutes and set myself up for the 20 minutes of pain.
    I probably started off a bit too hard for the first 5 minutes and dropped the pace a little, around 10 minutes i felt my legs starting to strain and with 5 minutes to go i was in lactic hell and just kept pushing as hard as i could and i got my HR up to 184 which is the highest its ever been on the bike.
    I have a new found respect for anyone doing the 60 minute version of this test as i am completely fecked after 20 minutes. Its all well and good doing 2/3 minute bursts at 320/340/360 watts but sustaining a high pace for much longer is pain city.
    Any way to the results, disappointing if i am being honest although to be expected after the lack of activity since IM and coming back after the recent illness.
    Avg Power: 276 watts/398 max
    Cadence: 90/103
    Time: 20 mins
    Distance: 13.91kms
    HR:172/184 max
    1352kj

So what does 276 watts mean, well taking 5% off as its a 20 minute test my current FTP is 262 watts (shocking bad) below will be my training zones until the power meter arrives.

Purpose %ftp Watts
    Z1 - Active Recovery <55% 144
    Z2 - Endurance >75% 196 (Typical IM pace)
    Z3 - Tempo >90% 235
    Z4 - Lactate T/hold >105% 275
    Z5 - VO2 Max >120% 314
    I guess i need to improve by about 60watts to hit a sub 5hr bike split next year in Roth:rolleyes:

I guess i need to improve by about 60watts to hit a sub 5hr bike split next year in Roth:rolleyes:

I just love your approach Fran. Pick a target and go for it! Nice one. :cool:

I'm sure that you and your new coach will put a good winter of biking in to make this more than achievable.

Did you have to send off your cranks or anything like that for the PM? if not, I might look in to ordering one sooner rather than later due to the 6 week lead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good man, benchmark set :)

Sub5 hour bike at Roth eh? Interesting... I'll be following closely. Might have a similar target for Austria myself

pgibbo wrote: »
    I just love your approach Fran. Pick a target and go for it! Nice one. :cool:

I'm sure that you and your new coach will put a good winter of biking in to make this more than achievable.

Did you have to send off your cranks or anything like that for the PM? if not, I might look in to ordering one sooner rather than later due to the 6 week lead time.

Yeah cannot wait as the work in Winter will hopefully transform the way i train and leave me in great shape for next year. At least with frequent FTP testing i will see how i am coming on.
    I actually bought the Rotor 3d plus with the cranks. The lead time is a pain but i should have them early October.
    Good man, benchmark set :)

Sub5 hour bike at Roth eh? Interesting... I'll be following closely. Might have a similar target for Austria myself

Ah i was more jesting with my comment of a sub 5hr bike although come to think of it i would need to be pretty darn close to it if i have any chance for a go at sub 10.
    The good thing with training by power is i should have an excellent idea re pacing and expected bike split before i even cycle the course.
    You are a much better cyclist than me so another solid Winters training and that box should be well and truly ticked for Austria. If you gte a chance later drop us a pm with your gps info for the bike split

Thursday
    53.3km Evening Cycle
    Out with Bryangiggsy and took in some rolling hills locally. Felt crap at the start but after a half an hour i loosened up and felt lke my mojo was coming back towards the end of the ride. Upped the pace slightly for a few kms close to home doing up and overs.
    HR still off the charts but at this stage i am not paying attention and just enjoying being out on the bike before i resort to winter turbo sessions!!
    53.3km/1:51:42/28.6kmph/155hr

• Advertisement

20 minute FTP Test
    I decided i may as well do this now as it will be 6 weeks until they deliver the power meter and i will probably do a bit of work in between on the turbo so may as well get some numbers to work off.
    I was secretly looking forward to/dreading this in equal measures all day. Got the kids off to bed (back to school tomorrow:)) and hooked up the turbo for a 12 minute warm up with 2.5 minutes at a steady pace and spurts of planned FTP effort for 30 seconds x 4. Took a recovery for a few minutes and set myself up for the 20 minutes of pain.
    I probably started off a bit too hard for the first 5 minutes and dropped the pace a little, around 10 minutes i felt my legs starting to strain and with 5 minutes to go i was in lactic hell and just kept pushing as hard as i could and i got my HR up to 184 which is the highest its ever been on the bike.
    I have a new found respect for anyone doing the 60 minute version of this test as i am completely fecked after 20 minutes. Its all well and good doing 2/3 minute bursts at 320/340/360 watts but sustaining a high pace for much longer is pain city.
    Any way to the results, disappointing if i am being honest although to be expected after the lack of activity since IM and coming back after the recent illness.
    Avg Power: 276 watts/398 max
    Cadence: 90/103
    Time: 20 mins
    Distance: 13.91kms
    HR:172/184 max
    1352kj

So what does 276 watts mean, well taking 5% off as its a 20 minute test my current FTP is 262 watts (shocking bad) below will be my training zones until the power meter arrives.

Purpose %ftp Watts
    Z1 - Active Recovery <55% 144
    Z2 - Endurance >75% 196 (Typical IM pace)
    Z3 - Tempo >90% 235
    Z4 - Lactate T/hold >105% 275
    Z5 - VO2 Max >120% 314

Just wondering why you went with this approach? A lot of people do a 30 minute test and take the numbers based on the last 20 minutes of the test as per Friel.

Advertisement