Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Can't believe you wore those shorts in a non-race situation.

I have to give the poor Drogheda girls something to look at:).
    In all seriousness these "short" shorts aka ball stranglers:) are perfect in weather like today as longer shorts tend to stick to the quads when they are drenched which annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The plan was 19:30 of running with a 30sec brisk walk, rinse and repeat until finish.

Well done, maybe in a few months you might be able to run the whole way without stopping :p

Well done, maybe in a few months you might be able to run the whole way without stopping :p

Working on it:p

Weekly Round Up
    This week went well with continued improvements on the swimming front. This was my last week in prep and i am going to be doing some testing for next week.
    17 Oct-23 Oct|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|11:08|176.59
    Swimming|3|02:40|6.2
    Cycling|3|04:18|125.75
    Running|4|03:40|44.64
    Strenth/Core|1|00:30|N/A

Prep Review
    The 3 weeks prep has gone very well and i can feel my fitness returning to previous levels. Loving the coached approach and i can feel/see it making a big difference in how i am approaching my training and i am completly thinking differently to last year.
    The power meter is working a treat and once i establish power zones from testing next week we can get moving on the cycling front. I have a new outlook on swimming and i will knock 20 minutes off my IM swim time next year and the running is ticking along very nicely.
    So for the 3 weeks of prep i got in 17,800mtrs of swimming, 120.89kms of running and 355.71kms cycling. A total of 33 sessions and no missed sessions in this block.
    Below is my PMC for the prep phase, not really of any use at the moment but it will be helpful leading up to A races to ensure i peak perfectly. The aim is to have a high CTL and a TSB close to zero before goal races, PMC explained here
    ATL - started off 15.3 and finished at 77.8
    CTL - started off 5.4 and finished at 31.2
    TSB - started off 0 and finished at -37.9
    pmc.jpg
    As i have done previously for UKIM i will keep track on what i believe is my current splits based on current fitness at the end of each phase. I was not too far out last time:)
    Swim: 1:26
    T1: 5mins
    Bike: 5:55
    T2: 4mins
    Run: 3:40
    Total: 11:10

Monday

Lunchtime Swim - 1700mtrs
    Usual warm up of sw, pb and kick and then 4x50s descending. The main set was 8x100s best even effort with 15secs rest. I kept these within a few seconds of each other was good and then blasted the last one for good measure. Splits were, 2.05,2,07,2.06, 2.06, 2.07, 2.08, 2.07 and 2.00:)
    Time: 40mins
    Distance: 1700mtrs

I have an awful habit of switching off and forgetting i am in a unisex shower/changing area. It was a close call today as i left the showers in the JB birthday suit:eek:, just covered up in time before i was spotted by one of the nicer looking female staff:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Spot the exhibitionist! :D

Great prep period. Well done! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

.... stuff.... PMC explained here
    ATL - started off 15.3 and finished at 77.8
    CTL - started off 5.4 and finished at 31.2
    TSB - started off 0 and finished at -37.9
    ... more stuff and pictures with lines...

:confused::confused::confused: Ok I read the TP aricle but my head hurts. Just so I can continue following your log you might clarify what this is for us non PM owners?!

So Ideally you want TSB (training stress) to be as close to 0 as possible for your peaks. As in too low and you are asleep and to high you are erratic and irrationaal and about to jump off a ledge :D:confused:

ATL the load prgression ver the last 2 weeks. OK, what excatly does 15.3 to 77.8 indicate and what is the projected pattern for this line?

CTL the higher this the more fatigued you are? At what point does it approach and cross to over training and again I assume the line climbs as you work through your sessions and drops when you rest?

Swim: 1:26
    T1: 5mins
    Bike: 5:55
    T2: 4mins
    Run: 3:40
    Total: 11:10

Interesting. What are you basing your current possible splits on?

:confused::confused::confused: Ok I read the TP aricle but my head hurts. Just so I can continue following your log you might clarify what this is for us non PM owners?!

So Ideally you want TSB (training stress) to be as close to 0 as possible for your peaks. As in too low and you are asleep and to high you are erratic and irrationaal and about to jump off a ledge :D:confused:
    Ideally yes your TSB (Training Stress Balance) should be close to zero when peaking, if the number is a big negative it means you have not fully recovered from the training load and if the number is a big positive then you are over rested and likely to have lost some top end sharpness/fitness. Trial and error will determine what the ideal TSB score is for an individual as it can vary from athlete to athlete.
    ATL the load prgression ver the last 2 weeks. OK, what excatly does 15.3 to 77.8 indicate and what is the projected pattern for this line?
    The ATL correlates to the TSB. If I go mad for two weeks the ATL(Acute Training Load) will go through the roof but more importantly the TSB will go through the floor and could show the early signs of overreaching or if continuing for a number of weeks/months it could lead to much worse, over training.
    CTL the higher this the more fatigued you are? At what point does it approach and cross to over training and again I assume the line climbs as you work through your sessions and drops when you rest?
    Not entirely true as CTL is measured over a longer period than ATL, if you are balancing your training load along with rest periods you should see the CTL steadily rise through the season and the TSB can still be kept in check. You are right though if you reduce the training ATL/CTL will drop and TSB will rise, ideally what you would see in taper.
    In terms of when the numbers represent over reaching, as I mentioned in that post the stats are too early to garner any real information. Its only over a period of months and hovering close to over reaching that the numbers will tell a story. Eventually when there is enough data I should be able to gauge what TSB number represents me going too deep and likewise what TSB number has me peaking perfectly. This will be trail and error.
    Interesting. What are you basing your current possible splits on?
    I have full visibility of my cumulative power readings and run readings along with hr since I started tracking on Training Peaks/WKO and this combined with a training ride on the Roth course pumped out these numbers. Still early days but I like to monitor where I am likely to be at after each phase.
    The swim is the only one which is a bit of a wild guess factoring in an average of 2.15 per 100mtrs. I feel with my current improvement in the pool it would warrant that time and in light of recent 100mtr splits even paced efforts above.

As you can tell I am a complete stats nerd Mike and sometimes can over analyse:) Possibly one of my strengths or weaknesses which ever way you look at it!!

Tuesday
    70min - FTP testing on the bike
    I was nervous about this all day, not sure why. Got the dinner into me, kids washed, fed, put to bed and jumped on for some pain:) Into an easy 16min warm up, a few mins HC work, 5 mins easy and then into 5 mins best effort which came out at 258watts/avg hr 158. The 5 minutes was under paced but at least it gave me an idea of what to build from in the 20 minute tt. Prior to the tt effort there was another 10 minutes easy.
    The 20min tt effort rolled around quick and off i went. I was determined to build in to this as the coach warned me not to set off too quick and blow up, first 10 minutes rolled by at 262watts. 13 minutes in and it was getting tough with lactic starting to build in the legs, 16 minutes in and i was in the pain cave throwing bananas at my monkey, 17 minutes and i wanted the world to end.
    It was a matter of hanging in for dear life and counting the seconds down. The hr near hit my max at 181 towards the end and my peak 10 minute power was 267 which was the last 10 minutes which meant i built into it nicely.
    I near fell off the bike at the end and just managed to turn the pedals for a 10 minute warm down. Bloody tough but enjoyable and at least i have accurate power zones to work within now.
    Time: 1:10
    Distance: 37.2kms
    Overall Power: avg 189watts/norm 212watts
    20min Peak Power: 265 watts (FTP is now calculated at 252 watts)
    Cadence: 87rpm
    HR: 147/max181 and 170 during 20min peak power
    Power zones are now
    Active Recovery: 0 to 140watts
    Endurance: 141 to 191watts
    Tempo: 192 to 228watts
    Threshold: 229 to 266watts
    VO2 Max: 267 to 304watts
    Anaerobic capacity: 305watts upwards

I would normally pace an IM bike leg around 77% which would have me targeting 194watts right now. Happy enough with how the test went and wko file below.
    FTPTEST-BIKE.jpg

Wednesday
    45 min recovery spin
    Just an easy recovery effort this morning after last nights FTP session, finished S1 of the wire and starting on season 2:) Legs felt much better afterwards.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 20.14kms
    Power: 133avg/140 normpower
    Cadence: 94
    HR: 118 - low z1 effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Oooo :eek: Well done there dude last night in the FTP, sounded pretty brutal but at least it's done now and as you say you have zones now to work within.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good work on the T20 JB and you paced it well. It is normal to feel a bit anxious before a fitness test as you want to get the best result you can for a decent benchmark. You have a solid platform to work from now. Back in a different life we used to have 5km rowing tests over the winter on the Concept 2 ergometer. It was a similar exercise of pain but the pain was not just in your legs, it was a whole body experience! We used to dread them. Some lads used to put on rocky music to psyche themselves up beforehand!

I've a T50 up this weekend and I have a similar sense of dread going on :(

Admiring your work ethic over the last few weeks. Man on a mission for sure!

Nice going on the T20 JB. You reminded me of how much I dread those tests, especially on the turbo. Are you doing a running one also?

It will be good to have power zones to work off now. Will you be tracking HR zones also? How did the HR values compare to the last T20 you did?

Oooo :eek: Well done there dude last night in the FTP, sounded pretty brutal but at least it's done now and as you say you have zones now to work within.

It was brutal but short lived so not so bad. Knowing my accurate power zones is a big plus.
    Good work on the T20 JB and you paced it well. It is normal to feel a bit anxious before a fitness test as you want to get the best result you can for a decent benchmark. You have a solid platform to work from now. Back in a different life we used to have 5km rowing tests over the winter on the Concept 2 ergometer. It was a similar exercise of pain but the pain was not just in your legs, it was a whole body experience! We used to dread them. Some lads used to put on rocky music to psyche themselves up beforehand!

I've a T50 up this weekend and I have a similar sense of dread going on :(

Admiring your work ethic over the last few weeks. Man on a mission for sure!

Yeah the key was to pace it and build it in the last few minutes. Those rowing tests sound extreme alright. I did not have the rocky music on but had some popular old rave music on, this one kicked in towards the end and kept me going:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00yxlw84fA&feature=related
    Good luck with the T50, embrace the pain.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice going on the T20 JB. You reminded me of how much I dread those tests, especially on the turbo. Are you doing a running one also?

It will be good to have power zones to work off now. Will you be tracking HR zones also? How did the HR values compare to the last T20 you did?

Cheers P i have a 30min run tt scheduled for Friday so will need to take a spoonful of HTFU for that one:) I already have my hr zones mapped so will be tracking both.
    The last time i done a T20 it was prior to the power meter arriving and as the numbers on the turbo are not a true representation of power i cannot make any decent comparisons on effort or power from this test to the last.
    It will be interesting next time i test to see what improvements are being made though.

Did your average HR over the T20 go up?

Best of luck with the run one on Friday! :D

We're really showing our age with the music choices. Personally I'm a big fan of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0Vv7RljnY when things get tough on the turbo. Lots of Sasha & Digweed stuff too from the MoS collections and the Renaissance compilations too. Bring back the 90s dance culture! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ye are like two auld lads with the pipe in the mouths - you will need to sort out that dodgy taste soon before your kids are ashamed.

ahhhh Jacky the rave isn't like it used to be - yon Mory Kante and mark McCabe twas the finest. These new young lads know nothing about rave music.

The big house music is much better these days - you should check out David Guettas new album, the vocal cd of his latest Nothing but the beat is cracking stuff, some of the best dance I have heard. I will bring it over gibbo the next time I am over there

* I do like the build up in that Mory Kante song though :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah the key was to pace it and build it in the last few minutes. Those rowing tests sound extreme alright. I did not have the rocky music on but had some popular old rave music on, this one kicked in towards the end and kept me going:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00yxlw84fA&feature=related
    Good luck with the T50, embrace the pain.

Ha, the exact song I was going to post yesterday when I read your comment in the music thread. So predictable. Can totally see you bopping along to that!

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did your average HR over the T20 go up?

Best of luck with the run one on Friday! :D

We're really showing our age with the music choices. Personally I'm a big fan of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0Vv7RljnY when things get tough on the turbo. Lots of Sasha & Digweed stuff too from the MoS collections and the Renaissance compilations too. Bring back the 90s dance culture! :cool:

Yes P getting old, i love that song and have it on my playlist as well. Not sure what you mean by "Did your average HR over the T20 go up?" if you mean steadily rise towards the end then yes, you will see from the red line in the wko graph.
    I hit 276 watts on an avg hr of 172/max184 when i last tested on the turbo and that compared to a true power reading from the power meter yesterday of 265 watts on an avg of 170/max181.
    As i said earlier i cannot take much comparison from the previous test numbers as that 276watts on the turbo was more likely a 240 or 250 watts....turbos lie:)
    catweazle wrote: »
    Ye are like two auld lads with the pipe in the mouths - you will need to sort out that dodgy taste soon before your kids are ashamed.

ahhhh Jacky the rave isn't like it used to be - yon Mory Kante and mark McCabe twas the finest. These new young lads know nothing about rave music.

The big house music is much better these days - you should check out David Guettas new album, the vocal cd of his latest Nothing but the beat is cracking stuff, some of the best dance I have heard. I will bring it over gibbo the next time I am over there

* I do like the build up in that Mory Kante song though :o
    You will get old soon enough CW, my kids are already ashamed of me:)
    Ha, the exact song I was going to post yesterday when I read your comment in the music thread. So predictable. Can totally see you bopping along to that!
    I am so predictable, getting scary how we keep reading each others minds. I keep getting my questions out first before you in those Q&A threads :)

Wednesday PM
    40 min core session
    The usual session, i really get bored on these sessions but i know they are important in the overall scheme.

Thursday
    30 min easy with 5x20 sec builds
    This was not a great run, legs felt like running through concrete and start of a bloody head cold coming on. The joys of constantly moving from my nice warm office down to a cold warehouse multiple times during my working day has me picking up too many colds for my liking:mad:
    Time: 35:01
    Distance: 7.15km
    Pace: 4.53km and builds @ 4.10,3.37,3.29,3.19&3.18km pace (last one uphill)
    HR: acting up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Plus one on the Sasha and Digweed. I even went to New York to see them. Still raving tho.

Speaking of Rocky, for tough sessions JB, you gotta listen to Blood Brothers 80s action movie mix. It's epic

http://www.nialler9.com/9208-blood-bros-action-movie-mixtape-blood/

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Plus one on the Sasha and Digweed. I even went to New York to see them. Still raving tho.

Speaking of Rocky, for tough sessions JB, you gotta listen to Blood Brothers 80s action movie mix. It's epic

http://www.nialler9.com/9208-blood-bros-action-movie-mixtape-blood/

That is bloody epic, trip down memory lane with some of those tracks. Bookmarked for future sessions.

Just spotted you had a training log there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enjoy the pacing on Monday. Have a good one.

Friday
    AM Swim session - 1700mtr set
    4x50 descending in 53,51,50 and 48 my fastest set and single 50, really felt as if i was streamlined powering through the water. 4x200s went well considering the times i was hitting on the 100s earlier in the week. Times were 3:58, 4:03, 4:01, 4:05.
    Happy with the times in this session and I have finally mastered the high elbow and getting rid of the cross over without even thinking about it.

PM - 30min TT Run
    I was nervous about this, like the bike test i wanted to set a good benchmark. I done a 10 minute warm up then 5x30 builds with 30 sec easy. I started off the 30 minutes with a pace i knew i could hold for 30 minutes but not a minute longer. A quick glance after a few minutes and i was hovering around 3:50km pace with thr hr around 176, around 91% of my MHR....happy days this is going well.
    After several minutes i got a severe pain on my right side, under the ribs like a stitch but much worse. Had to stop for a few seconds stretch out and run, ran for another two minutes and same again:mad:. At this stage i was getting pissed off, dug in for another few minutes even though the pain was getting worse. Toughed it out for 20 minutes in total and called it. Maybe i could have kept going but i was doubled over and still have the pain now, hopefully its not a muscular strain!!
    Anyhow stats for the 20 minute was 3:51km/6.12mile pace and 5.18kms covered. I would say i went through 5k in around 19:20 or so....not bad considering a solo training effort and i will defineatly be targeting 18:xx in the 5k in December.
    Pissed off really that i did not get the full session in to have the benchmark properly set.
    Time: 40:05
    Distance: 9.19km
    Pace overall: 4:21km/7.01mile
    HR: 164/176
    Enjoy the pacing on Monday. Have a good one.
    Cheers Mick hopefully you will be finished a good hour before me;)

Saturday
    2.5hr spin
    Very enjoyable ride, worked a little harder on the way home with the hills and strong wind in my face, 1st half 162watts 2nd half 181watts. Still all a nice easy effort in zone 2 and within my power ranges. I still have that slight pain in my side from yesterday, weird:confused:
    Time: 2:36:55
    Distance: 70.62kms
    Power: avg 172/68% of FTP & norm power of 182
    Cadence: 87
    Climbing: 532mtrs
    HR: 144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck with the pacing on Monday, a 42k stroll!

Sunday
    Easy recovery run
    Just an easy run at my new pacers pace tomorrow as I had to move up to 3:45 pacing duties for tomorrows DCM. Looking forward to it as it should be a good day out.
    Time: 28:04
    Distance: 5.27km
    Pace: 5.19km

[QUOTE=ronanmac[/U];75208565]Best of luck with the pacing on Monday, a 42k stroll![/QUOTE]
    Cheers Ronán....42k stroll:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck pacing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey JB, looking out for you on TV at the moment, no sign yet!

Pity about the Fri 30TT, but you were right to call it a day at 20, tbh I'd have called it earlier as the test run was already ruined. Very strange though, you'd be well able for that pace. I hope it doesn't affect you today. I will have my own 30TT later this week, looking forward to quantifying where I am with my run.

3:44:34 by my watch and the other lads pacing but the chip times seem to be out, a nice little run:)

• Advertisement

DCM - 3:45 pacing gig
    Chip time: 3:44:34 (same as garmin)
    Distance: 42.72kms
    Pace: 5:15kms
    Enjoyable day out and i had great fun with Brain and Mick sharing the pace duties. We had a good bit of banter with our group before the start giving a few shouts out. We were already down to two balloons before the off as one burst before we even arrived so we needed to be careful with the other two.
    Off we set and i soon noticed after a few miles something was up with the mile markers as we were running 8:28 pace instead of 8:34 pace yet were still 15seconds off target time. I reckoned the mile markers did not correct themselves until mile 10 which caused a few concerns from our followers who were wondering why we were going slightly faster than planned pace.
    We let out a good few shouts of come on the 3:45's and ogee, ogee, ogee and whilst our group were very vocal we soon noticed it was getting quiter as the miles rolled on:)
    Once we got into the park it got very crowded and it was crazy at some of the water stations. My balloon burst and we were down to one last balloon which we managed to get home safely.
    We got through halfway bang on target and still with a large following, there was one girl who had been on my shoulder all the way in fact she may as well have jumped on my back as i counted at least 4 times where she near tripped me:D
    The group was shrinking towards mile 15/16 and the heavy breathing started. I had a quick pitstop in a portaloo at mile 18 and lost about 1:30 against the lads which i made up by running close to a 7 minute mile and caught them back up around mile 19. Cardio wise i felt fine but that fast mile at mile 19 had my legs cramping a small bit up to mile 23 but the last three miles i was okay.
    I passed a clubmate at mile 21 and was doing my best to convince him to stick with us, this worked for half a mile but he had to drop off the pace. We were giving everyone the "only 30 minutes of running left stick with it", "just a short training run" from mile 22 onwards and the group started to splinter with a good few running onto faster times including my serial tripper. One of the lads from Drogheda Tri was well and truly in his pain cave around mile 25 and there was no more mr nice JB towards the end as i had to do everything i could possible to keep them going to the finish line.
    Coming around Trinity College the crowds were unreal and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as i shouted at people for their support for our group. It was clear who was safe at this stage and who was not so i started running backwards screaming at a few stragglers to put the foot down, thankfully this worked on a few as they quickly upped the pace to get in under the time.
    Have to say a great experience and enjoyable run, no matter what pace you run at a marathon takes it out of you as my legs knew they ran 26 miles at the end even though the pace i felt was very easy. Legs felt fine a few hours later after a few pints and even today i feel grand.....some difference how i felt after my first marathon:p
    Great day out and for me and the performance of the day without being biased must to go to my Father. At the age of 57 he ran his first marathon in a super time of 4:17. What makes this even more remarkable and funny is that he said he went out with the 4 hour group and only realised after 5 miles that he was in fact following Brianderunner....one of the 3:45 pacers:) How he kept going after setting out at that pace i will never know.
    Well done Mick and Brian pleasure to pace with you guys.

Pacers at the start
    [IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tHcPLV6oCpw/Tq_dMXmqPXI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/V-G3yUNqzkU/s640/Pacers%2520start%2520line.jpg" height="640" width="480"[/IMG]

Advertisement