Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Really nice detail, I may borrow some of this layout if you dont mind,

are you tracking power to weight ratio, for the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Monday
    AM Swim - 2000mtr set
    Wu of 300sw, 200p and a 100k. Main set was 8x100 alternating with/without pt paddles with pb. Excellent session and felt great with the pt paddle work and fist, much better feel for the water. The 4x100p without paddles coming in around 1:55 and 2:05/10 per 100 with paddles.
    Time: 50mins
    Distance: 2000mtrs

Planned - 30min easy run
    Actual - Nothing
    Well the run of 62 sessions without one being missed came to an end:(. Inevitable really, with what's going on in work at the moment there is literally not enough hours in day to go around. Barely even enough time to log sessions:)

Tuesday
    45 min toughy turbo session
    I had e-mailed coach to tell him the wheels were coming off slightly, after 9pm and still in work i got home at 10pm and literally had this session cancelled in my own head however i somehow ended up on the turbo a few minutes later as everyone else in the house was in bed.
    It was the same session as last week again with at least 20 minutes of tough +230watts and +310 watts work involved. Whilst i did not hit all the numbers again it was a much better effort than last week and the overall average was 20watts higher.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 24.27kms
    Power: AP 196 / NP 209 (15mins of the work around 230watts)
    Cadence: 85/114, and 106 in HC section
    HR: 155/177

Wednesday
    Swim - 2000mtr set ?????
    Run - 45min run ??????

Your guess is as good as mine if i will get either session in today:rolleyes: 26hrs clocked up already from Mon/Tue and today looks like another long one today:rolleyes: Not going to worry too much about it, i will do what i can do!!
    :eek: This log has gone from a training diary to a full on leaving cert project on multi sport training science. I wonder how Mr Director would grade it :D

Good job so far JB, things going well on the training front and a new steed on the radar. I'm jealous on both counts!

Slagging fecker:) i do have a graph fetish in fairness, you should see what i am like in work, my office is covered in stats/ performance charts etc:) Hope your well settled in the house.
    BennyMul wrote: »
    Really nice detail, I may borrow some of this layout if you dont mind,

are you tracking power to weight ratio, for the bike?

By all means go ahead, and yes i do track it although not giving it too much attention just yet as i transition from overweight to closer to my race weight.
    I want to have the capability of comfortably hitting around 3.5 watts/per kg based on a race weight of 65kg for the bike split in Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play for keeping it together through the hectic time Fran! It isnt easy and i find sometimes that the sessions you really dread cos of tiredness from work etc end up being the most enjoyable!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Fair play for keeping it together through the hectic time Fran! It isnt easy and i find sometimes that the sessions you really dread cos of tiredness from work etc end up being the most enjoyable!

Cheers Eddie funnily enough i sort of did enjoy that turbo session however daft that sounds after a long and tiring day:)

Wednesday
    Swim : Planned 2000mtrs Actual 1600mtrs
    I had to revise the session to fit it in before the pool became full of fat aul wans doing aqua aerobics :), did everything prescribed by the coach which was mostly drills but dropped the reps back to fit something in. Another good swim session and felt good in the water.

Run: Planned 45mins Actual nothing
    Could not get it done with work even though i really wanted to get out and run.

Thursday
    1hr easy turbo with 5 mins of BG work
    I only managed 25 minutes, 15 minutes wu, 5min BG and 5min wd. Did not get home after another 14hour day, jumped on the turbo but really should not have wasted my time. Wrecked and could sleep for Ireland right now.
    Time: 25mins
    Distance: 11.65kms
    Power: AP 166 / NP 171
    Cadence: 85/112
    HR: 150

I hope to get a shortened version of a swim session in the morning before i head down for more work fun in Dublin:rolleyes: alternatively spend an extra hour in bed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Don't know how you're managing it JB but I have to admire the training you're getting done on top of family & crazy work hours at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

pgibbo wrote: »
    Don't know how you're managing it JB but I have to admire the training you're getting done on top of family & crazy work hours at the moment.

+1

Good stuff going on here despite the other demands. One good sleep will reset the clock ;)

Friday
    Did not get the swim in as i awoke to a message on the phone calling me into a meeting earlier than planned so this is moved to Saturday afternoon.

45min run with steady and moderate efforts
    Really enjoyed the steady and moderate efforts in this, nice little run session set by the coach and even though i was physically tired heading out i felt good during the run. In particular i felt the steady effort was easy to maintain at the pace.
    20 minutes warm up was 4.59km/8.01mile pace, 151 avg hr
    10 minutes steady was 4.27km/7.11mile pace, 165 avg hr
    5x1min moderate efforts were
    3.39km/5.52mile/169 hr
    3.50km/6.10mile/173 hr
    3.31km/5.39mile/172 hr
    3.45km/6.02mile/175 hr
    3.27km/5.33mile/174 hr
    5 min warm down was 4.59km/8.01mile/164hr
    Time: 44:58
    Distance: 9.64km
    Pace: 4.40km/7.30mile norm 4.31km/7.17mile
    HR: 160/179
    RedB wrote: »
    +1
    Good stuff going on here despite the other demands. One good sleep will reset the clock ;)
    Cheers lads i hope to have a lie in at some stage before Xmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

Big respect JB this week, big respect. Not easy but when the motivation is there I guess you'll do whatever it takes. A nice run effort there this evening too dude.

Saturday
    3hr spin with hills and plenty of them
    Plenty of hills in todays ride with over 930mtrs of climbing done whilst keeping it steady and seated going up them. Some of the hills around Bellewstown can be testing with gradients of 15% or so. In the past (before power) i would have looked at the avg speed in isolation and said this ride was pants but power would show the opposite, an improvement on last week.
    Glad to be out cycling this morning and refreshed for the rest of the day. Nice to see garmin, training peaks and WKO all showing slightly different stats on power, cadence and elevation:rolleyes:
    Time: 2:49:06
    Distance: 71.92kms
    Power: AP186/NP196
    Cadence: 78
    Elevation: 935mtrs climbing
    HR: 148/170
    Avg speed: 25.5kmph
    Big respect JB this week, big respect. Not easy but when the motivation is there I guess you'll do whatever it takes. A nice run effort there this evening too dude.
    Cheers ElD motivation is certainly there but just need to make sure i do not overdo things during this busy period otherwise it could lead to burn out. Want to make sure every session i do get int right now counts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow thats efficiency JB, logging a 3 hour bike session at 1030 in the morning! Fair play man! I'm a long way off that yet. It will be a late charge into winter mode for me this time around. Handangeo will be happy to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Wow thats efficiency JB, logging a 3 hour bike session at 1030 in the morning! Fair play man! I'm a long way off that yet. It will be a late charge into winter mode for me this time around. Handangeo will be happy to hear :)

Yes and delighted to hear it :)- Just easing back into running after DCM. Got a refund for my Tacx fortius on Friday night that never worked and just have ordered a Computrainer which is on the way next week - happy days :D

Ready to start my log and sufferfest till Austria!

handangeo wrote: »
    Yes and delighted to hear it :)- Just easing back into running after DCM. Got a refund for my Tacx fortius on Friday night that never worked and just have ordered a Computrainer which is on the way next week - happy days :D

Ready to start my log and sufferfest till Austria!

Nice to see a bit of friendly competition between you lads:) adds that extra element on race day!!

@MCOS - I had to be efficient this morning as i had to be back for a family christening. I would not worry about the volume you are getting through at the moment as from what i read compared to last year you seem to be getting through quality sessions in particular on the bike.

@handangeo - What happened with your Tacx Fortius? I have been hearing some strange noises from mine the last few uses which is slightly worrying. Looking forward to following your progress in the log and the build up to Austria.

Saturday eve
    Swim session - 2000mtr set
    Managed to get the missed session in from Friday, i cannot really afford to go through a week without hitting 3 swim sessions a week as its all about consistency with me. If i was to rate my improvement in terms of time saving across the 3 disciplines it would have to be a swim. The session had a good bit of kicking in it and the main set was 12x50s fast/easy, i was coming in low 50s on the fast ones. Right heel was a bit tight (again) following on from the cycle i must monitor this as thats a few times its raised its head since i started back.
    Time: 50mins
    Distance: 2000mtrs

I clearly look like a tired wreck, at the family christening my mother was not happy to see the shape i was in and gave me a good telling off. I hope to get a good 10hour sleep in tonight if the kids oblige and sleep in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Nice to see a bit of friendly competition betweenou lads:) adds that extra element on race day

@handangeo - What happened with your Tacx Fortius? I have been hearing some strange noises from mine the last few uses which is slightly worrying. Looking forward to following your progress in the log and the build up to Austria.

Purchased it in May with the intention it would help me in the run up to Roth, spent months trying to sort brake and software issues.

I never once got to actually use it, I finally gave up last week - due to total lack of support from Tacx. Since ordered a Computrainer which should arrive in the next week or so.

Its all systems go then for IM Austria :D

Sunday

Swim-500mtrs
    Not a planned session but sneaked a quick 20 lengths in the pool whilst the kids splashed about this morning, timed at 10:16 so 2.03 per 100mtr at a steady effort.

90min LER
    Very comfortable run and a smashing day out there today. Wore the brooks st5 for this and felt good in them. I must order an other pair in a different colour if i can, something like a bright green would be fetching:)
    Time: 1:32:42
    Distance: 18.93kms
    Pace: 4.54km/7.53mile norm 4.46km/7.40mile
    HR: 151

Weekly numbers
    14th Nov- 20th Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|8|8:47|142.51kms
    Swimming|3|02:20|6.1kms
    Cycling|3|4:09|107.84kms
    Running|2|02:18|28.57kms
    Strenth/Core|0|00:00|N/A

Overall a tough week to get the training in with a 65 hour working week and i missed a total of 3 sessions (first of the season:() with 2 runs missed and a core session. I was a tired man towards the end of the week but thankfully i pulled out 3 good sessions between Fri-Sun with 2 good runs and the long hilly bike to rescue something from the disaster of this week.
    Next week may be the same workwise but i will do what i can and just make sure to give every session i get in a 100% effort.

I will give the graphs a break this week:)
    handangeo wrote: »
    Purchased it in May with the intention it would help me in the run up to Roth, spent months trying to sort brake and software issues.
    I never once got to actually use it, I finally gave up last week - due to total lack of support from Tacx. Since ordered a Computrainer which should arrive in the next week or so.
    Its all systems go then for IM Austria :D

Yeah the software can be buggy alright, its caused my laptop to crash a few times. The support from tacx is also brutal. I like the turbo itself but wish i went with a computrainer as i have heard great things about them, well wear with it and good luck with the training for Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

fair play, fitting in all this on a hectic work load,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Putting a lot of people to shame here Fran, I abandoned training numerous times if I got home from work an hour or two later than usual. :) Great weeks training.

Monday

2400mtr swim set
    Good session even though suffering with dodgy stomach cramps this morning. The main set was 10x100s alternating between pt paddles, w/o pt coming in at 1:50s and with pt around 2:10. I also had 4 fast 50s in on a consistent 48,49,50,49.
    Really working on finishing my stroke as i have noticed i have a tendency to lift the hand out for the next stroke far too early which results in a loss of forward propulsion.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 2400mtrs

45min easy run
    Finally got out after 9pm for a run. Cardio wise this run was easy but the legs felt a touch heavy. Finished off fine though with the last two kms hitting 4:2xs
    Time: 40:32
    Distance: 8.42kms
    Pace: 4.48kms/7.44mile
    HR: 149

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great to see your swimming coming on so much JB! :cool:

Are you running off HR or pace since your run test?

Tuesday
    45 min core session
    Usual set of exercises.

45min tough turbo session with intervals
    Worked off slightly lower numbers than the previous 2 weeks were i failed to hit them. Thankfully nailed this session tonight and hit every interval set although it was hard work at times as my quads and calfs felt very heavy.
    Great sweatfest of a session.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 23.9kms
    Power: AP 193 / NP 203
    Cadence: 87 / 114
    HR: 158 / 177
    Great to see your swimming coming on so much JB! :cool:
    Are you running off HR or pace since your run test?

Yeah P the swimming is coming on very well and i am confident i will come out with a time at least 20 minutes better than UKIM if the improvements continue to come. Really enjoying my swimming and its no longer a session i have to force myself out the door for.
    Yeah running and cycling within hr and power zones the last while. Have you got your power meter yet?

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    AM - 2500mtr swim set
    600mtr wu, 4x50 descending on 56, 53, 51, 49 with the main set being 5 x (100b+b/100p/100sw) steady effort. I found the band work a real struggle. I think i need to up my stroke rate, stronger core and have a stronger pull to try offset the legs sinking so much.
    Some old bad habits were creeping back in towards the end as i started to tire so tried to correct that as i was swimming. Finished with a warm down of 200bc and 10mins in the jacuzzi before heading off to work.
    Time: 1:05
    Distance: 2500mtrs

PM - 50min run with 15mins @ steady effort
    A very good session and loving the steady efforts the coach has mixed into these runs. The steady effort was at an effort/hr i would be running a marathon at so happy with the pace off that.
    30min easy, 4.53km pace, AHR 156 (avg hr skewed due to erratic high readings for first 5 mins)
    15min steady, 4.20km pace, AHR 163
    7.48min easy, 5.09km pace, AHR 163 (up the hill home and into the wind)
    Time: 52:50
    Distance: 11.11kms
    Pace: 4:45km/7.39mile
    HR: 159

Thursday
    AM - 60min Turbo with 5min BG work
    Up and on the turbo for 6:30am this morning. I am not sure how i used to get on this for 5 hours in the past as an hour seems like a long time nowadays. I actually start visualizing my race in Roth (early i know) I find it helps keep me focused on my training and the mental side of things is a strong tool to use. I visualized a 1.10swim a 5:10 bike and a 3:25 marathon and crossing the line in 9:5x:xx:rolleyes: I digress
    HR was a tad higher than expected for holding the wattage. Love the BG work!!
    30min easy - AP 160 - AHR 141 - CAD 92
    5min BG - AP 205 - AHR 155 - CAD 58
    25min easy - AP 170 - AHR 150 - CAD 90
    Distance: 28.14kms
    Power: 167
    Cad: 88
    HR: 146/159

6x500mtrs at 5k race pace - 10secs with 500 recs
    Awesome session just love doing these type of interval sessions. Even though it was howling winds and lashing rain i had a smile on my face from start to finish.
    500mtr intervals were
    Time / Pace / HR
    1.46 / 3.32km-5.42mile / AHR 167
    1.45 / 3.30km-5.39mile / AHR 169
    1.44 / 3.29km-5.37mile / AHR 172
    1.44 / 3.29km-5.37mile / AHR 169
    1.43 / 3.27km-5.33mile / AHR 165
    1.38 / 3.17km-5.17mile / AHR 175
    As always i pushed the last one, why because i could:)
    Time: 47.19
    Distance: 10.41kms
    Pace: 4.32km/7.19mile
    HR: 145/178

Thursday
    AM - 60min Turbo with 5min BG work
    Up and on the turbo for 6:30am this morning. I am not sure how i used to get on this for 5 hours in the past as an hour seems like a long time nowadays. I actually start visualizing my race in Roth (early i know) I find it helps keep me focused on my training and the mental side of things is a strong tool to use. I visualized a 1.10swim a 5:10 bike and a 3:25 marathon and crossing the line in 9:5x:xx:rolleyes: I digress
    HR was a tad higher than expected for holding the wattage. Love the BG work!!
    30min easy - AP 160 - AHR 141 - CAD 92
    5min BG - AP 205 - AHR 155 - CAD 58
    25min easy - AP 170 - AHR 150 - CAD 90
    Distance: 28.14kms
    Power: 167
    Cad: 88
    HR: 146/159

6x500mtrs at 5k race pace - 10secs with 500 recs
    Awesome session just love doing these type of interval sessions. Even though it was howling winds and lashing rain i had a smile on my face from start to finish.
    500mtr intervals were
    Time / Pace / HR
    1.46 / 3.32km-5.42mile / AHR 167
    1.45 / 3.30km-5.39mile / AHR 169
    1.44 / 3.29km-5.37mile / AHR 172
    1.44 / 3.29km-5.37mile / AHR 169
    1.43 / 3.27km-5.33mile / AHR 165
    1.38 / 3.17km-5.17mile / AHR 175
    As always i pushed the last one, why because i could:)
    Time: 47.19
    Distance: 10.41kms
    Pace: 4.32km/7.19mile
    HR: 145/178

Well done on the 5k pacing workout JB, especially in those gnarly conditions! So this tell's us you are on for a 17:30 5k next Sat perhaps?? :) YOu were telling me during the week you'll be trying to hold onto my coat tails...think it'll be the other way around looking at those splits!

Well done on the 5k pacing workout JB, especially in those gnarly conditions! So this tell's us you are on for a 17:30 5k next Sat perhaps?? :) YOu were telling me during the week you'll be trying to hold onto my coat tails...think it'll be the other way around looking at those splits!

Not a chance of a 17:xx, first priority is a pb current one is 19:11 but the big target is an 18:xx, would love to go 18:2x but see how the race goes. Some crack if you are still in view with 200 to go......sprint finish :)

Are you doing Jingle Bells? Shame I'm not marshalling, thinking of all the abuse I could have thrown out.

Not a chance of a 17:xx, first priority is a pb current one is 19:11 but the big target is an 18:xx, would love to go 18:2x but see how the race goes. Some crack if you are still in view with 200 to go......sprint finish :)

aah its all mind games JB! Those 500's were supposed to be at "race pace" so either you were too eager or you have shown your cards before the race! :) either way it'll be a Christmas cracker I'm sure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Are you doing Jingle Bells? Shame I'm not marshalling, thinking of all the abuse I could have thrown out.

You going to be there to give abuse anyway? :p

You going to be there to give abuse anyway? :p

Of course. Myself and William will be waiting at the finish line for everyone.

aah its all mind games JB! Those 500's were supposed to be at "race pace" so either you were too eager or you have shown your cards before the race! :) either way it'll be a Christmas cracker I'm sure! :D
    Ha those intervals were at 10secs quicker than planned 5k race pace:)
    Of course. Myself and William will be waiting at the finish line for everyone.
    I am afraid to ask who William is:)

Friday
    AM - 2700mtr swim set
    In the pool early before heading off for a day of networking and boozing at the grocers lunch in the burlo. Twas a good session consisting off some steady efforts with pull buoy over 200s/150s/100s and 100 moderate swim efforts coming in around 1:55.
    Distance: 2700mtrs

Saturday
    90min LER with 30sec walk breaks every 20mins
    I changed the long bike around to Sunday as i was in a heap and hungover today (still am:o). I finally got out for the run but it was horrible.
    Really felt like **** towards the end and struggled to even hold 5min km pace in blustery conditions. It felt like i was close to bonking and massively dehydrated after it, ended up walking the steep hill home. Not good:o
    Time: 1:28:21
    Distance: 17.77kms
    Pace: 4:58km
    HR: 151

• Advertisement

I am afraid to ask who William is:)

William is my bike, sure you've already met him. :D

Advertisement