Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just saw you on the ironman UK highlights Fran. You looked in a bad way:-)
    well done bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sunday
    3hr long easy bike
    Not an early start as per previous weeks as i headed down to Dublin for a nieces birthday party and Mrs JB and the clan followed in the car. Lovely crisp morning for it as i headed from Drogheda through Balbriggan, Skerries, Lusk, Swords, Malahide, Portmarnock and into Howth for a spin up and down the hill either side and stopping at the summit for a 99er:).
    The saying "i had no chain on the bike" could have been used today as i felt super strong and it shows in another increase in the power numbers, in fact i was averaging 200watts for the last two hours whilst keeping the effort/hr easy. I am now starting to believe in myself that a fast bike split in Roth awaits. If i can get to holding 220watts at race weight and in an aero position that sub 5 bike split could well be on. Plenty of time to get the wattage numbers up between now and then. Its amazing how in the space of a few hours you can have a crappy long run and then nail your long bike:confused:
    Time: 2:56:15
    Distance: 87.54kms
    Power: AP 193 / NP 199
    Cadence: 85
    Elev: 500mtrs
    HR: 145

PM - 30min core session & 15min stretching & rolling
    Finally i got a 2nd core session in for the week.

Weekly numbers
    21st Nov- 27th Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|12:51|194.89kms
    Swimming|3|03:05|7.6kms
    Cycling|3|4:42|139.58kms
    Running|4|03:49|47.71kms
    Strenth/Core|2|01:15|N/A

A very good week and work settled a good bit only clocking 52hrs so i got all the planned sessions in for the week. Stand out sessions have to be the long bike, tough turbo and the interval run with the swimming sessions still going well.
    Step back week next week and the focus will be hitting a good time in the Jingle Bells 5k.
    Time for my graph fettish:) Performance Management Chart, Long Bike NP/HR & watts per kg trackers.
    pmcupdated.jpg
    longbikes.jpg
    wattsperkg.jpg

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Just saw you on the ironman UK highlights Fran. You looked in a bad way:-)
    well done bud.

Cheers Frank i looked a broken man at the end alright me waving the marshalls off after the finish line was saying no to a wheelchair:)

Monday

2400mtr Swim Set
    Felt like crap for this so was surprised how well the session went. Main set was 5x100PT work and into 5x200 best even effort. Very pleased with how the 5x200s went, 3:55, 3:57, 3:56, and 3:54 for the last two.
    So coming in around 1:57/8 per 100 on average which i got to be happy about.
    Finished with 4 fast 50s between 47-51secs before some bc as a warm down.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 2400mtrs

30min easy run
    Late home from the office so it was about 9.30 when i got out for this. Right achilles troubling me again, starting to think it could be foot/cleat positioning problem on the long bikes as it seems to flare up for one or two sessions after the long bike. Other than that run was fine apart from bloody freezing out there.
    Time: 29:25
    Distance: 6.17kms
    Pace: 4.45km/7.39mile
    HR: 152 (although showing high readings for first few mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ha a 2.4k swim set and a 30 min easy run. My Monday was exactlythe same, a 2.4k swim set and a 30 min easy run!

Now, if you are doing the same session as me this evening, best of luck with it...

• Advertisement

Ha a 2.4k swim set and a 30 min easy run. My Monday was exactlythe same, a 2.4k swim set and a 30 min easy run!

Now, if you are doing the same session as me this evening, best of luck with it...

A sufferfest on the turbo? If so then yes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nice tempo easy run there last night JB ;)

You still on for 1'26 in Waterford?

Nice tempo easy run there last night JB ;)

You still on for 1'26 in Waterford?

Lol at the tempo comment just because you are a lazy git on your easy runs :). My recent LTHR test set by the coach has set all my zones and 154bpm and below is my easy zone. As a matter of interest on your 9min mile easy runs at what effort are you going at? Have you done an LTHR test to determine your zones?

Not sure about Waterford tbh as I have not really focused on it and at best it's a C race for me. Not sure if I will do it or not but I would say 1:26 would be too tasty right now and 1:28 would be more likely.

Lol at the tempo comment just because you are a lazy git on your easy runs :). My recent LTHR test set by the coach has set all my zones and 154bpm and below is my easy zone. As a matter of interest on your 9min mile easy runs at what effort are you going at? Have you done an LTHR test to determine your zones?

Tbh anything faster than 8 min miling on my easy runs and i'm fcked! I stopped using my HRM 6 months ago, dont miss it. My coach has no problem with my easy run pace.
    Not sure about Waterford tbh as I have not really focused on it and at best it's a C race for me. Not sure if I will do it or not but I would say 1:26 would be too tasty right now and 1:28 would be more likely.

As long as you beat Meno, thats all that matters ;)

Tbh anything faster than 8 min miling on my easy runs and i'm fcked! I stopped using my HRM 6 months ago, dont miss it. My coach has no problem with my easy run pace.

As long as you beat Meno, thats all that matters ;)

That is the part i do not understand as i would have expected 7:30 to 8 min miling to be easy for you and well within your easy zones given your ability and faster times than me?
    That same pace for me does feel easy and its only when i start going low or below 7min miles that it starts feeling like hard work. I would be just concerned for you that some of your long runs would be at too slow a pace considering you are aiming for 6:50 miles. Surely its all about getting your aerobic fitness to a level thats within 30secs or so of your PMP without it feeling too taxing on you?

I have a 5k score with Meno to settle first this Saturday:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I like the look of the P2 you just bid on. Sweet ride! :cool:

I'd imagine the Felt will shift easily. catweazle, you know you want to!!! :D Good luck with the sale

Just the one session today but it was a key one, 50min turbo session with about 30minutes of hardish work
    Tuesday
    50min Bike
    This was due to be on the turbo but that was acting up along with the software. I just did not have the patience to try and sort out the problem tonight otherwise i was likely to miss the session so quickly got suited and booted, lights on and headed out onto the road and the freezing cold.
    Very windy out there tonight but felt very strong on the bike and the intervals felt very controlled and easier than they normally would on the turbo:confused:
    You can see from the splits in the garmin link above that i was easily hitting the required numbers. The meat of the work averaged out at 232watts for about half an hour which is about 92% of my FTP.
    A lot safer managing these sessions inside than out on the road:)
    Time: 51:15
    Distance: 24.8kms
    Power: AP 217 / NP 225
    Cadence: 78
    HR: 153

Fair play, I bailed on mine :o

Fair play, I bailed on mine :o

I nearly bailed on mine at one point. I was so close to kicking lumps out of the turbo:mad: I think i took some of my anger out on that spin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I had a similar one last night but unfortunately it was on the turbo! Not that i hate the turbo but im dreading the long spins on it a little. It also means i cannot put the heat on in the house until after the session or i die of the heat! That helps though with getting on and doing it and not letting the evening drift.

So only a few more sleeps til Saturday. You suss where you are going to park yet? Im heading up from my gaf (just outside the park on the NCR) and suing the jog as my warmup if you're parking city side?

Bambaata wrote: »
    I had a similar one last night but unfortunately it was on the turbo! Not that i hate the turbo but im dreading the long spins on it a little. It also means i cannot put the heat on in the house until after the session or i die of the heat! That helps though with getting on and doing it and not letting the evening drift.

So only a few more sleeps til Saturday. You suss where you are going to park yet? Im heading up from my gaf (just outside the park on the NCR) and suing the jog as my warmup if you're parking city side?

Hear you on the warm conditions re turbo i do have two fans on the go when using mine.
    I had not thought about parking tbh, is the park open for parking on race morning? Perhaps we should along with El D meet somewhere for a good warm up prior to the start of the race?

The park is virtually shut down i think. Chesterfield Ave is completely closed off which would have take a fair amount of cars for parking. Im about 3/3.5km from the starting line so im going to jog up from there.

The park is virtually shut down i think. Chesterfield Ave is completely closed off which would have take a fair amount of cars for parking. Im about 3/3.5km from the starting line so im going to jog up from there.

Ah crap, i might park close to were you live (if there is parking) and jog in. Sure drop us a mail and we will sort something.

Hear you on the warm conditions re turbo i do have two fans on the go when using mine.

Ah lads come on now. I don't have a fan and only open a window if I'm doing V02 Reps as my lungs gasp for oxygen. What are ye made of at all?!

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Planned 2600mtr swim set/Actual 2300mtr
    I missed the swim this morning as i was shattered (bed hopping sorting kids last night as they kept waking up with the howling winds) so got most of this session done at lunch time.
    I had a 400sw steady effort which came in at 7:17 which was 1:49 pace per 100, surprised by this as i felt **** in the water today and i thought i would be much slower. I had a slower turnover but my pull was much stronger.
    Time: 55mins
    Distance: 2300mtrs

40min run - 20easy/10steady/10easy
    Comfortable run tonight in particular holding the steady pace at 4:11km and it felt grand:eek: Coach has me running well with his sessions.
    20mins/4:55km-7:55mile/AHR151
    10min/4:11km-6:45mile/AHR161
    12.5min/5:08km-8:15mile/AHR157 (big hill home)
    Time: 42:31
    Distance: 8.88kms
    Pace: 4:47km pace
    HR: 155
    Ah lads come on now. I don't have a fan and only open a window if I'm doing V02 Reps as my lungs gasp for oxygen. What are ye made of at all?!

Big girls blouse i am:rolleyes:

Ill mail you a map of where i live and if u fancy it u can park here and we can head up. Theres free parking on my street and im literally 500m to the park gates

Ill mail you a map of where i live and if u fancy it u can park here and we can head up. Theres free parking on my street and im literally 500m to the park gates

Perfect Ed sounds like a plan see you then. I am due to meet your mate after to sort the P2 out.

Whilst I have fantastic staff working for me there is one girl who keeps baking me cake (fantastic cake at that).
    Whilst I appreciate the efforts she goes to I am starting to think she is trying to sabotage my DQS and my attack on Roth:)

2 home made almond slices and apple tart waiting for me in the office this morning it would be a real shame to let them go to waste and i would not want to offend:rolleyes:.

That is the part i do not understand as i would have expected 7:30 to 8 min miling to be easy for you and well within your easy zones given your ability and faster times than me?
    That same pace for me does feel easy and its only when i start going low or below 7min miles that it starts feeling like hard work. I would be just concerned for you that some of your long runs would be at too slow a pace considering you are aiming for 6:50 miles. Surely its all about getting your aerobic fitness to a level thats within 30secs or so of your PMP without it feeling too taxing on you?

I have a 5k score with Meno to settle first this Saturday:)

I'll see how Waterford goes before changing my easy run pace i think. My current approach is keeping me injury free and i'm knocking out pb's so i cant be doing too much wrong. maybe i'm being found out in the marathon its hard to know.

Ah you'll have to beat Meno, you'll never hear the end of it otherwise.
    Whilst I have fantastic staff working for me there is one girl who keeps baking me cake (fantastic cake at that).
    Whilst I appreciate the efforts she goes to I am starting to think she is trying to sabotage my DQS and my attack on Roth:)

2 home made almond slices and apple tart waiting for me in the office this morning it would be a real shame to let them go to waste and i would not want to offend:rolleyes:.

I'm paying her to fatten you up so you won't hit the sub 10'30 in Roth and i'll win my bet :p All this talk of new bikes and 7'30 pace feeling "easy" had me worried though.

I'm paying her to fatten you up so you won't hit the sub 10'30 in Roth and i'll win my bet :p All this talk of new bikes and 7'30 pace feeling "easy" had me worried though.

Dumb bet, he is aiming for sub10 :pac:

I'll see how Waterford goes before changing my easy run pace i think. My current approach is keeping me injury free and i'm knocking out pb's so i cant be doing too much wrong. maybe i'm being found out in the marathon its hard to know.

Ah you'll have to beat Meno, you'll never hear the end of it otherwise.

I dont think it is affecting your shorter distances as thats what you are good at/built for but lets be honest you are massively under achieving by about 13 minutes over the marathon distance when you compare the rest of your times. Sure based on your 5k training solo run (superb by the way) you should really be hitting your long runs between 7:20 to 8:20 and your easy runs under 7:40/7:50. Just my 2cents and it may be an area that has scuppered your chances of going under the 3hr mark in the past. You are getting a good mix of quality sessions in though as well in fairness.

If i do not beat Meno i may give up running:) thats one way to rile him!!
    Dumb bet, he is aiming for sub10 :pac:

Brian likes giving money away:) if i do not go under 10:30 i will either have a disaster of a race or the arse has fallen out my training (at least i have control over the second one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If i do not beat Meno i may give up running:) thats one way to rile him!!

I've been biting my tongue for a few days since I wasn't sure If i would be able to race, but now I've got the green light, Bring it on!!
    Seriously though, if I go sub 19 on saturday and/or sub 1'30 the following week I don't really care who I beat or not ;)

I Agree with JB about the easy run pace BTW, something I am trying to look at myself. I am trying to get away from Marathon pace feeling more like tempo pace and the only way to do it is to up the easy run pace. You can still use recovery runs for 'jogs'.

Just for Brian as i know he would like to see where his bet stands i give you a current estimation on where i am at with 32 weeks to go till Roth.

Factoring in the sun/moon alignment, the stars, number of fish and shopping trolleys in the Roth canal, power based numbers on long bike along with feeding in elevation details of the course, current weight, long run pace extrapolating the quantam IM technique:rolleyes: i have calculated my estimated split times based on current levels of fitness/ability:p

7 weeks ago - estimation
    Swim: 1:26
    T1: 5mins
    Bike: 5:55
    T2: 4mins
    Run: 3:40
    Total: 11:10

Swim – 1:19 (2:05 per 100mtr pace)
    T1 – 5mins
    Bike – 5:32 (185watts and feeding in course elevation stats/current weight)
    T2 – 4 mins
    Run – 3:34 (holding 5:05km pace)
    Total – 10:37

Obviously the rate of gains i am noticing will start to slow down as time goes on and improvement becomes harder to obtain. Most of the time improvement has been seen on the bike, an extra 25/30 watts goes a long way along with the swim times coming down slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I'd say you're closer to a 1:15 swim. Nice gains though! :cool:

Advertisement