Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fair enough, we'll see on the day. All i know from tri is what i've seen on this and MCOS's log so it's an ill informed bet really. Ah it'll keep things interesting for you if sub 10 slips away at any point.

Where d'you stand on our sub 3 marathon bet? ;) Or was that cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Just for Brian as i know he would like to see where his bet stands i give you a current estimation on where i am at with 32 weeks to go till Roth.

Bike – 5:32 (185watts and feeding in course elevation stats/current weight)

Does power data take into account the drag saving from the new steed, you could est. 10-20watts saving if correclty setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fair enough, we'll see on the day. All i know from tri is what i've seen on this and MCOS's log so it's an ill informed bet really. Ah it'll keep things interesting for you if sub 10 slips away at any point.

Where d'you stand on our sub 3 marathon bet? ;) Or was that cancelled?
    What sub 3hr bet ;) I have lost track of all the bets we placed at this stage:)
    BennyMul wrote: »
    Does power data take into account the drag saving from the new steed, you could est. 10-20watts saving if correclty setup.
    Yes i have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ah lads come on now. I don't have a fan and only open a window if I'm doing V02 Reps as my lungs gasp for oxygen. What are ye made of at all?!

More bang for buck when cooler.

What sub 3hr bet ;) I have lost track of all the bets we placed at this stage:)

Oh really? The bet on you going sub 10'30 in Roth can be wiped clean too then ;)

• Advertisement

Thursday
    60min easy spin >90rpm
    I still have not sorted the turbo problem so i opted for a cycle into work and headed out at lunchtime. Kept it very easy and just spun out the legs in the small ring and keeping a high cadence. Very windy and cold out there!!
    Time: 54:24
    Distance: 25.01kms
    Power: AP 164 / NP 172
    Cadence: 97
    HR: 134

Missed my swim this morning as i hit snooze and that was that so hopefully i can get out at lunchtime and then i have a short 30min run this evening with short bursts of race pace for tomorrows 5k which i am looking forward to.
    tunney wrote: »
    More bang for buck when cooler.
    There is that alright and the fans act as a peace treaty with the missus as she is not a fan (excuse the pun) of the back door and windows being left open when i am horsing through a tough session:)
    Oh really? The bet on you going sub 10'30 in Roth can be wiped clean too then ;)
    No no you were very adamant on that 10:30 bet:) I think my sub 3 bet was a wash if you do not hit the time in London if i recall:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good luck tomorrow JB. A big PB beckons! :cool:

Friday
    Well i could not swing the swim session today. A mixture of running out of time as a short lunchtime opportunity came up which i could only fit in my pre tune up run before the 5k. Just feeling dead tired today with **** well and truly hitting the fan in work:mad:

30min run with builds and short 60sec intervals
    A good little tune up run before tomorrows 5k race. A nice warm up then into some builds starting from 4:10km pace down to 3:30 pace. Next up was 5x1min at intended race pace which felt controlled around 3:40km pace. I actually done 6 shows how my head was up my ar$e:) Few minutes warm down and then back to the grind.
    Time: 30:26
    Distance: 6.54km
    Pace: 4:39km/7.29mile & norm 4:24km/7:05mile
    HR: 158

Looking forward to doing the 5k and hopefully all going well picking up the new steed tomorrow.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow JB. A big PB beckons! :cool:
    Here is hoping Paul. I was well up for it all week but shattered tonight, hopefully a good sleep resets the batteries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice running, well done. That was me that gave you a shout at the finish. You almost looked worse at the finish line than you did on the IMUK show. :)

Saturday

5km Jingle Bells Race
    Headed down and met up with Bambaata for a good warm up consisting of some easy running down to the park, flicking heels, high knees and some short bursts at pace. It was quite evident during the warm up that my right achilles was still a bit tight but more of a discomfort than a big problem.
    I had 3 arch nemisis in this race:), 1 which i knew i would not get near, the other who maybe on a real good day i could have a right good go at and the last one who would be close enough:)
    I decided originally to head out at 3:45km pace or therabouts for the first 2/3km or so and then try run out close to 3:40km for the remainder. Two of my arch nemisis tore off at what must have been 3min km pace and after a quick look after 300mtrs i seen 3:20km pace show up so eased off the gas a little, came in on target for the first km at 3:46. 2nd km was a tough one into the wind, i was running with a small group and a quick look at the watch had me at 4min km pace so i moved from that group and took a bit of the wind full on until i closed the short gap to the group ahead, ended up with a 3:52 for the 2nd km. 3rd km was weird as i expected a side wind but it did not feel like it, towards the end of this km i was starting to stitch (again) and i was contemplating just pulling up (mind games) 3rd km in 3:51km and a quick calculation had me 14secs off where i needed to be.
    4th km was just hell even though it was downhill i felt like **** and suffering but churned out a 3:46. Last km and i knew i needed a fast one to go sub 19, this was very fast downhill but did not get the full advantage as i was still suffering with the stitch but hit that km in 3:32 to seal the deal.
    Suitably screwed crossing the line in 18:55 revised chip time as there was an issue with the original times. Straight after the race i was dissapointed but soon copped on as a pb is a pb and i make this a 19sec one. I beat one of my arch nemisis but have a long way to get near the other two:) just more encouragement and the motivation i needed...its healty you know:)
    I had 3 goals, pb first sub 19 second and sub 18:40 as the ultimate goal. I need to realise that progress does not happen overnight so perhaps sub 18:40 was a strectch. It is hard to say what is causing the stitching but the fact it happens around LT pace is a cause for concern. Perhaps a weak core is an explanation but really only guessing.
    Right heel is very tender and booked in for a session on Tuesday to see whats going on!!
    Time: 18:56garmin / 18:55chip time
    Distance: 5:04km
    Pace: 3:45km/6:03mile
    HR: 175/max 179
    Nice running, well done. That was me that gave you a shout at the finish. You almost looked worse at the finish line than you did on the IMUK show. :)
    Nothing hurts like a 5k:) I knew it was you alright and when i went to go over and talk to you i could not find you:rolleyes:

1km swim with pull buoy
    Not a planned session at all but i was down at the pool after the race with the family so done an easy effort 1km with pull buoy to save the legs before jumping into the kiddies pool:). A nice way to unwind after a 5k race.
    Time: 18:21
    Distance: 1000mtrs

I collected the new addition to the tri family today:D All i can say its a credit to the previous owner in how well he kept this bike as its like brand new. Just need to wait until February until i start racing with it:cool:
    newbike.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can you change a tub :) Almost bid on this one myself but then realised me on this would be like putting diesel in a ferrari. Best of luck with her........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Nice report JB. Pity about getting the stitch but well done on fighting through it. The thoughts of you taking me on the final stretch really gave me a final push I must say (that and a very determined lady!). Great to grab a 5k PB in Jan, well before next season starts.

That bike is some piece of kit, it looks extremely well kept. Well wear dude I hope it brings you luck!

...and fast times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice PB and nice bike JB, well done and well wear respectively :) The stitch might have been down to your breathing lad, as long as hydration and eating too soon beforehand are ruled out of course.

Good stuff on the sub 19 JB. That's 2-0 to you against Meno over 5k is it? Watch your back on Saturday i'd say, he's out for revenge :D

Congrats on the PB JB. Cracking stuff. Now that you've gone sub 19 the 18:40 will come quickly enough.

Sweet ride. That's an awesome looking machine. Great value too! :cool: best of luck with your new steed. Have you name it yet? :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    Can you change a tub :) Almost bid on this one myself but then realised me on this would be like putting diesel in a ferrari. Best of luck with her........
    Cannot change a tub just yet but will need to get some practice in. I thought ferraris come in diesel no:)
    Nice report JB. Pity about getting the stitch but well done on fighting through it. The thoughts of you taking me on the final stretch really gave me a final push I must say (that and a very determined lady!). Great to grab a 5k PB in Jan, well before next season starts.

That bike is some piece of kit, it looks extremely well kept. Well wear dude I hope it brings you luck!
    I had you in my sights after 2km or so but did not see you after that, you are too fast for me boyo!!
    Nice PB and nice bike JB, well done and well wear respectively :) The stitch might have been down to your breathing lad, as long as hydration and eating too soon beforehand are ruled out of course.
    Yeah could be breathing but i seen reference in an article to curvature of the spine being a cause also. I would have suffered with severe scoliosis as a child (hence why i am such a short ass) so going to look into that a little more.
    Food intake is normally 3 hours prior so i am ruling that out. Just one of those things i guess:rolleyes:
    Good stuff on the sub 19 JB. That's 2-0 to you against Meno over 5k is it? Watch your back on Saturday i'd say, he's out for revenge :D
    Yes 2-0 :) Whilst i was stitching up i was praying he would not pass me as i did not fancy an all out sprint to the line.
    Decided against Waterford this weekend for a number of reasons. Too much on and travelling up and down would be a pain. I know a decent pb by a few minutes is a certainty but i do not think the race will tell me anything i don't already know and its coming to soon for me. Also factoring in recovery and that i am kicking off marathon training for the sub3 attempt i decided against it.
    Good luck at the weekend.
    Congrats on the PB JB. Cracking stuff. Now that you've gone sub 19 the 18:40 will come quickly enough.

Sweet ride. That's an awesome looking machine. Great value too! :cool: best of luck with your new steed. Have you name it yet? :D
    Amber is the name i lovingly gave her, she is a great ride:) She also weights about 1.5/2kg lighter than the Felt with wheels on. Cannot get over how light the zipps are.

Sunday
    Planned: 2.5hr long easy bike
    Nothing, just never got this in once i missed the early morning opportunity as missus was out shopping from early all day for xmas pressies and i was keeping the nippers out of mischief.
    I had the turbo set up ready to go for a second attempt late in the evening but with getting the school uniforms ready, lunches, kids washed, dressed for bed and kids to bed it was close on 9:30pm and i felt like i had already cycled several humdred kms after a busy day and was wasted.
    Normally i try not to let missed sessions annoy me but in particular the long bike is the bread and butter session of any IM plan. With that in mind i am particularly annoyed i missed this as it also acts as a good getaway to clear the head which is full of work stuff at the moment which i need to offload before i self combust.

Last week was only 6.5hours of work but it was good work particularly on the running.
    2 swims (1missed) 4.7km, 4 runs 33.63kms and 2 bikes 49.8kms:(

2 swims (1missed) 4.7km, 4 runs 33.63kms and 2 bikes 49.8kms.....

....and a new PB :)

Monday
    Rest day

Tuesday
    60min easy turbo
    Finally got the turbo sorted again, 60min easy although i did throw in 5min work around 225watts towards the end.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 30.3kms
    Power: 177
    Cadence: 93
    HR: 148

I went to the Physio tonight and he thankfully worked out the tight achilles and it feels fine now along with other little niggles banished.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    45 min easy run
    I could not get to this so pushed this out until Thursday morning

2000mtr swim set
    Hit the pool very late at 9pm after a long day in the office. Shattered tired but this turned into a great session and i felt very powerful and my stroke felt good.
    The steady 100s coming in around 1.50 and 1.45 with pull buoy, the 4x50descending in 49, 50, 47 and 44 which i believe is my fastest yet. Sub 40 would be nice before Xmas.
    I bumped into one of the Drog Tri lads and he mentioned my stroke and rotation looked good but my feet splay out when i kick (he was following my feet for a bit), Something to continue to work on.

Thursday
    45 min easy run
    In work at 6am and slipped out after 7am for a quick trot around the area. Very slow pace and a higher effort than i would have liked but it was blowing a gale out there this morning and it seemed like a headwind for the full run.
    Time: 44:09
    Distance: 8.67kms
    Pace: 5:05km/8:12mile
    HR: 155

45min cycle - 20min easy/15min steady/10min easy

I had cycled into work so on the way home i dropped off my gear and out onto the road fully wrapped up with lights on.
    20mins easy - 193watts
    15mins steady - 231watts
    10min easy - 191watts
    Decent effort and enjoyed the steady efforts, holding 190+ watt (high end of easy) feels really easy. It will be interesting to see what gains i have made when i next test my FTP.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 21.2kms
    Power: AP 205/ NP 209
    Cadence: 80 - must have been pushing too big a gear out there, wind probably did not help.
    HR: 149

I am looking forward to a break from work over Xmas badly need it at this stage. Booked flights for Roth today so no going back now:)
    The real training juggling starts next week as i start focusing on my sub 3 attempt, its a sub 3 or bust approach after discussing it with the coach. The sessions will be tough along with working on the swim and continuing to work on increasing FTP on the bike for the 5hr bike split to enable the sub 10.
    It was never going to be easy but i look forward to getting stuck in to the tough sessions. Keeping myself healthy and injury free will be the main focus so i got some great tips on that as i could have up to 5 tough sessions in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Swimming, Biking and Running my way to an IronMan

Sheesh.

Just but a cinema ticket like everyone else dude.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Swimming, Biking and Running my way to an IronMan

Sheesh.

Just but a cinema ticket like everyone else dude.

Ok so:confused:

What marathon you targetting Fran? You don't believe in doing things by halves do you? :D

What marathon you targetting Fran? You don't believe in doing things by halves do you? :D

I will give you a little hint;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsB4a--WRTs&feature=related

If he goes out at that pace it will turn into a half ;)

Cool. You ran that last year IIRC. How long after it is Roth? Going to be a busy few months. I'd assume core and rolling, etc will be very important over the next few months. Best of luck with it! Looking forward to following the progress :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Keeping myself healthy and injury free will be the main focus so i got some great tips on that as i could have up to 5 tough sessions in a week.

And the great tips are..................?:)

If he goes out at that pace it will turn into a half ;)

We shall see, it would be nice to put a few minutes into your marathon pb and put the pressure on you for London.
    Cool. You ran that last year IIRC. How long after it is Roth? Going to be a busy few months. I'd assume core and rolling, etc will be very important over the next few months. Best of luck with it! Looking forward to following the progress :cool:

Yeah i had a pb here last year, Roth is 15 weeks after which is not ideal but workable. Its all about not breaking anything, sleep quality, diet and recovery after tough sessions.
    RedB wrote: »
    And the great tips are..................?:)
    See above:)

• Advertisement

Friday
    2000mtr swim set
    Another good swim session. Really concentrated on pushing the buoy although still feel the legs drop every now and then. The main set was 10x50s with 25fist and 5x100s which i was coming in around 1:50.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 2000mtrs

45min run run 5x20sec fast
    The hrm was spikey with 3 layers on, hr was reading 170+ in parts and 161 avg so adjusted it based on RPE. Handy enough run and the achilles is feeling much better. 20 secs fast were all 3:xx pace.
    Winter has well and truly arrived as this was a cold one.
    Time: 42:39
    Distance: 8.86km
    Pace: 4:48km/7.45mile
    Hr: I would imagine low 150s

Saturday
    2hr long bike
    This was a disaster of a ride, came off the bike coming around a corner and must of caught a bit of ice which threw me off the bike at around 25km an hour. Thankfully nothing broken and no car coming the other way but my ass is sore and a pair of skins torn:o
    To top it off the ride was cut short as the chain snapped going up a hill about 15kms from home. By the time i got home i was frozen solid and even now i can feel the cold in my bones.
    Cannot upload stats at the moment as the personal laptop is getting fixed and only allows edge 500 uploads so these stats are straight from the garmin.
    Time: 1:33
    Distance: 42.4kms
    Power: AP 192
    Cadence: 83 (need to work on spinning the legs a bit more)
    HR: 150

Booked into B2R for a bike fit on the P2 and swim school next week. Looking forward to both in particular the swim school as i heard the guy is very good.
    Everything now fully sorted for Roth, staying in Nuremburg and going to rent a van with a few others. I have a new arch nemises in the race:) There will be two scenarios, 1) training goes well for him and he smashes me to bits and 2) training is a mixed bag for him and i could end up giving him an utter twatting:) plenty of banter ahead!!

Advertisement