Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Its all about not breaking anything, sleep quality, diet and recovery after tough sessions.

See above:)
    This was a disaster of a ride, came off the bike coming around a corner and must of caught a bit of ice which threw me off the bike at around 25km an hour. Thankfully nothing broken and no car coming the other way but my ass is sore and a pair of skins torn:o
    To top it off the ride was cut short as the chain snapped going up a hill about 15kms from home. By the time i got home i was frozen solid and even now i can feel the cold in my bones.

Seems like you needed those tips! Hopefully not much road rash. Stay safe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RedB wrote: »
    Seems like you needed those tips! Hopefully not much road rash. Stay safe ;)

I am an awful jinx:o

Sunday
    60min run with 1km thrown in @ MP
    Out into the bucketing rain for this, the 2 layers i had on me (one was supposed to be waterproof) were soaked through after a few minutes. I ended up throwing in 2kms just under 4:15 pace, effort felt ok and first one came in at AHR 163 and second one (slightly downhill) 158 so in my steady zones. Decent enough run.
    Time: 1:03:43
    Distance: 13.33km
    Pace: 4.46km/7.41mile
    HR: 154

40mins core work/stretching/rolling
    Need to start giving these sessions more attention and try get in two a week.

Weekly numbers
    05th Dec- 11th Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|7:59|128.76kms
    Swimming|2|01:30|4kms
    Cycling|3|3:18|93.9kms
    Running|3|2:31|30.86kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:40|N/A

Overall a low volume week and just as well as i clocked over 65hours in work including some time taken up at the weekend:mad:, hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and not a train heading straight for me!
    Volume is down a good bit on last year but there is certainly more structure and quality work going on this time around.....training smart.

Looking forward to tackling the sessions this week. This week has plenty of quality sessions in the mix, two tasty runs with 30mins at MP and some 1.5km intervals at MP. The swim will have a quality session on Saturday in B2R and hopefully i will get some good feedback on my weaknesses and i have a tasty turbo midweek with 30minutes of hard work and mild suffering:)

Monday
    2100mtr swim set
    Main set was 10x100 alternating between p and s, s on 1:50/1:54 and p on 1:42/1:47. There was some 4x50 fast towards the end all coming in around 46-48 which was consistent after shorter recoveries than normal.
    Time: 55mins
    Distance: 2100mtrs

Tuesday
    45min run with some builds and 30minute at M/Pace
    This required a bit of HTFU as i looked out my office window just before lunchtime to see snow coming down:) After 5 minutes of warm up and 5 minutes of build work i was right into the MP effort.
    This turned out to be a very good run despite the gnarly conditions and the 4:15s felt very good, running cadence was at a decent clip hitting about 92-94spm. The last 3/4 mins was into a gael force wind and i just about managed to put one foot in front of the other to keep it going.
    Amazing the quality work you get done in a session on fresh legs!!

30minute work was 4:13km pace and AHR was 165. I know it is only 30 minutes of MP work but it served as a timely confidence boost with everything else going on.
    Time: 53:27
    Distance: 11.97kms
    Pace: 4.28km/7.11mile - norm 4.19km/6.57mile
    HR: 162

1 quality session down and 3 to go for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good running JB, you are making progress all over the shop. Well done, you seem to be a natural. 30 mins at 6:48/mile pace is a tidy indicator that you have the legs anyway. Hopefully scenario 2 will arise too and you give that overconfident [EMAIL="c@&k"]c@&k[/EMAIL] s^&ker a due twatting and his nemesis does too :pac:. Modest times ahead for him. Unless of course as you said, he kicks into gear sometime soon and shows us what he's got. Clandestine sand bagging training eh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Good running JB, you are making progress all over the shop. Well done, you seem to be a natural. 30 mins at 6:48/mile pace is a tidy indicator that you have the legs anyway. Hopefully scenario 2 will arise too and you give that overconfident [EMAIL="c@&k"]c@&k[/EMAIL] s^&ker a due twatting and his nemesis does too :pac:. Modest times ahead for him. Unless of course as you said, he kicks into gear sometime soon and shows us what he's got. Clandestine sand bagging training eh :rolleyes:

Cheers MCOS, don't know about the natural bit:) i am sure it would come much easier if that was the case!! The MP work felt good just need to put another 2.5 hours onto it:rolleyes:
    I hope he does kick into gear as i would imagine he would set a really fast time not to mention getting the first round of beer in before the rest of us finish:)

Wednesday
    2700mtr swim set
    The set had 400 B+B work which is fun. Its getting a little easier but still tough going trying not to drown:). There was some 200s with p and 100s, not sure of times as i forgot my stopwatch and pool clock was broken. The 2x200p just felt perfect though.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 2700mtrs

55min tough turbo session
    I was not properly fuelled for this after all the discussion of fuelling for tough sessions on ElDirectors log and i did not heed my own advice:o. Lesson learnt as this was tougher than it should have been i even ended up taking a gel halfway through which i never do apart from long sessions.
    This was tough session no2 for the week with 30minutes of hard effort with 12 intervals with work at 85% ftp for 2mins and 110% ftp for 30secs. After 5 intervals i had more or less given up as i felt empty and stopped the garmin, somehow i got going again out of sheer stubborness after 30secs and just kept it going.
    Stopped for another 20secs later with a few intervals to go just to get the hr down and get the intervals completed. You work so much harder on the turbo than out on the road. Hit the numbers in the end of it but the Mrs knew i had a tough one when i emerged from the pain cave in an utter sweaty mess. A nice healthy dinner, recovery drink and protein drink and i feel much better after it.
    Time: 55mins
    Distance: 27.05kms
    Power: 204/385 watts (ride data seems corrupt but 30min work around 235watts)
    Cadence: 82/121
    HR: 157/174

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

It seems like you're making great progress on the swimming.

Is there anyway you can get down to the 50m pool for a regular session - surely some meetings you can schedule early am in Dublin?! I think it makes a big difference if you can get there once a week, especially for the IM swim. Plenty of IM swimmers in there between 6am and 8am weekday mornings.

Also, i know it's still a while away but what's the taper/recovery plan for the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Notwitch wrote: »

Is there anyway you can get down to the 50m pool for a regular session - surely some meetings you can schedule early am in Dublin?! I think it makes a big difference if you can get there once a week, especially for the IM swim. Plenty of IM swimmers in there between 6am and 8am weekday mornings.

Also, i know it's still a while away but what's the taper/recovery plan for the marathon?

Definitely alot to be said for the 50m pool for IM swims. Will miss Westwood myself this year but not worth the money for the rapidly reducing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

that sounds like a savage 30min set. its always a nice feeling finishing one of these sessions,
    MCOS is right there does seem to be some natural talent, the power numbers and running pace your hitting are nice for early in the year, (i have no idea on swimming so can't comment)

I will have to start looking at correct fuelling as I normally don't before any session, and only drink water,

• Advertisement

Notwitch wrote: »

Yeah swimming is coming along nicely. Looking back to when i kicked off in October and i was hitting steady hundreds in 2-15 to 2-25 and 50s descending in 69secs to 60secs which was very slow. Now i am hitting the steady 100s in 1:50 to 1:55 and 50s descening in 55sec to 45secs. Close enough to a 20% improvement and its all down to structured sets from the coach and working on my weaknesses/technique. Out of all 3 i am most pleased with progress in this area and i know there is more to come.
    I hear you on the 50mtr pool alright and i may try get one or two longer IM specific swims in early next year. At the moment i cannot justify or have the time to travel 1.5hrs (NAC closest to Drogheda) for a 1/1.5hour swim set as life and work is manic right now.
    tunney wrote: »
    Definitely alot to be said for the 50m pool for IM swims. Will miss Westwood myself this year but not worth the money for the rapidly reducing service.

Is that the one in Fairview, member only or pay as you go? Expensive?
    BennyMul wrote: »
    that sounds like a savage 30min set. its always a nice feeling finishing one of these sessions,
    MCOS is right there does seem to be some natural talent, the power numbers and running pace your hitting are nice for early in the year, (i have no idea on swimming so can't comment)

I will have to start looking at correct fuelling as I normally don't before any session, and only drink water,

Savage it most certainly was. To give an idea almost identical set out on the road 2 weeks ago had me at an avg of 217watts for an AHR of 152, compare that to last nights session which felt much tougher of 204watts and AHR 157 certainly working harder for it on the turbo!!
    Natural talent, no way. Perhaps if i was lashing out sub 4min km pace on easy runs and an FTP greater than 300watts i might agree:D Just hard work, dedication, target driven and a willingness to suffer on the tough sessions!!
    The timing of the fuelling is crucial, if i had my dinner i would have waited at least two hours before tackling the session last night which would have been a 9:45pm start...not a chance i was starting the session at that time and it would likely to have been binned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

UCD 50m pool is due to open in 2012. Handover is around March but it wont be fully open fully for a while until its tested (but I'm hoping to be in from early:)). I think* that there will be general public membership available but I've heard no costs as yet.

Thursday
    Unplanned swim set
    Head was wrecked with work and needed to escape at lunchtime so hit the pool for an unplanned swim session. The aim was to take this handy and do a few lengths with the buoy to save the legs. What it turned in to was a super easy HIM swim covering 1900mtrs and it was effortless. I was able to concentrate fully on my stroke and all the swim work seemed to click as i went through each stage of the stroke.
    I am not sure if the buoy would simulate a wetsuit but it was nice to see a 36:17 on the stopwatch when i compare this to a 45:13 in the HIM back in May its a massive time saving.
    Time: 36:17
    Pace: 1:54 per 100
    Distance: 1900mtrs

1hr easy recovery turbo
    Loaded up the Majorca dvd on the turbo and kept the session easy. Had to take a call from work mid way. 381mtrs of climbing with the main climb of Petra to tackle whilst keeping it easy.
    Distance: 28.1kms
    Power: 155/298
    Cadence: 90/116
    HR: 136/157
    Elev: 381mtrs

What an up and down day, the work call i took halfway through the turbo tonight was a fantastic one and its something i have been working on for a while hence all the long hours.
    Over the moon right now even though i have one rather nasty item to deal with before Xmas. Looks like i have a window of 4/5 weeks of calm in the New Year before another 2 months of madness. I need calm right now!!

Friday
    AM - 60mins - Core work/Rolling
    I originally planned to do this in the evening but i have a date with the couch/blankets/dvd/popcorn/kids tonight so i got up early to get the session in before work. Finding these sessions really boring, suggestions to spice them up?

Interval Run Session
    I love interval sessions and i favour it over all other sessions. Out at lunchtime and the plan called for a nice warm up, some build work and 5x1500mtrs @ MP with 1:45 easy recovery in between. This was not as tough as i expected but raging i forgot the HRM as it would have been nice to see how the hr recovered in the 1:45 section from the MP efforts.
    Pleased with how the session went and the MP felt like steady effort. That is 3 out of 4 tough/quality sessions completed for the week!!
    Time: 59:14
    Distance: 13.35kms
    Pace: 4:26km/7.09mile
    no hrm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enjoy the DVD!

Cracking progress on the swim. Looking forward to feedback on the swim analysis tomorrow. AFAIK, b+b is a better gauge of OW times than just pull buoy. IIRC, that's what tunney always reckoned.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Enjoy the DVD!

Cracking progress on the swim. Looking forward to feedback on the swim analysis tomorrow. AFAIK, b+b is a better gauge of OW times than just pull buoy. IIRC, that's what tunney always reckoned.

If so i am fvcked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Friday
    AM - 60mins - Core work/Rolling
    I originally planned to do this in the evening but i have a date with the couch/blankets/dvd/popcorn/kids tonight so i got up early to get the session in before work. Finding these sessions really boring, suggestions to spice them up?

Dim the lights and install a tap. ;)

Saturday
    Bike Fit & Swim Analysis in B2R
    I spent the afternoon down in B2R after selling my Felt s22 on the way in there, result:) It was an enjoyable experience and i an very pleased with the bike fit i received on the P2. The position is compact, comfortable, aero and it feels like a very powerful position to be in. Sure i was hitting 230watts with an easy effort in the aero position.
    The swim analysis was a different kettle of fish. It feels like i have made huge improvements in the pool and the times shows that. However looking back through the video and feedback from Eana it is clear i still have a good bit to go.
    My right side of the stroke seems to be poor but the left (at times) is good. I am pushing down water in the catch phase and its almost like i am contorting my body on that side and phase of the stroke. The net effect is some crazy legs going on behind me and they are low in the water, the see saw effect.
    Very good session and i highly recommend it. I am awaiting the feedback documents with some drills to work on. I have only shared the video footage with two people and one is the coach so i await feedback from both sources there as well.
    I will be honest i was very downbeat after it and the swim confidence took a knock but i just need to keep working on it. If i am able to hit them times i am at the moment from what i have seen in the footage god only knows what can be taken off with further technique improvements.
    I may look at adding one extra swim in a week to work on my weak areas but need to discuss it first with coach.

Sunday
    1.5hr long run
    Out early and into icy conditions. There was no cars on the road so i stayed off the paths as they looked well dodgy. Not my best work and it felt a little laboured for most of it but i think i have a bit of a head cold so that may explain it.
    Time: 1:30:44
    Distance: 18.34kms
    Pace: 4:57km/7:58mile
    HR:151

1.5hr easy turbo
    I was due to get a shortened long ride in yesterday but most of my time was taken up in B2R. Plenty of time in between this and the long run this morning, i had planned on doing 2/2.5hrs but my interest levels were cut short at 1.5hrs.
    Moved across all the software for the tacx onto another laptop and it seems to work much better along with the course dvds, Flanders was the choice this time around.
    Time: 1:30
    Distance: 41.4kms
    Power: 177
    Cadence: 88
    HR: 142
    Elev: 364mtrs

Weekly numbers
    12th Dec- 18th Dec|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|11:50|147.91kms
    Swimming|4|04:01|7.7kms
    Cycling|3|3:25|96.55kms
    Running|3|3:24|43.66kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:60|N/A

Fantastic week put down quality wise. Two very good runs in the tempo and interval session, marathon pace for the sub3 attempt does not feel all that bad in fairness and not so hung about that target as i was previously. A nice midweek tough turbo in the mix also, happy with the midweek swim and the swim session in B2R which should help me progress further.
    Body held up well with the 4 tough sessions in the week and thats down to fuelling after sessions and i am wearing my compression gear a bit more. The weight is now down to 67.8kg and the aim is to be down to 65kgs or close to it for the marathon in March so roughly 6lbs or .5lb a week should be fine.

Going to have to shorten these weekly updates:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If i am able to hit them times i am at the moment from what i have seen in the footage god only knows what can be taken off with further technique improvements.

You read my mind. You will be deadly in the water. :)

Monday
    2400mtr swim set
    Struggled with my breathing on this session as my head is stuffed with a head cold, warm office/cold warehouse, warm office/cold warehouse you get the idea!!
    Sculling drills really helping with "feel" in the water. There was also some fist work, 200s with pb steady effort and 100s mod hard.
    Distance: 2400mtrs

30 min core session
    Short but frantic session, the missus had the heating on full blast which ended up like me working out in a sauna!!

I ended up in a friends house last night. He is someone who i am helping out as he is tackling his first Ironman next year. Coaching would be too strong a word to use as i am still learning a lot myself. It is a learning curve for both of us with him being the guinea pig (poor fvcker) and he is tackling IMUK.
    Anyhow i had him testing his FTP last night for the first time to establish his power zones as he is restricted to doing most of his work on the turbo. I took great pleasure in shouting out the orders and watching him suffer. With 6mins to go he wanted to stop, 4mins to go and his world was ending, 2mins to go i thought i would need the use of a defibrillator. Every time the power or hr started to drop i yelled at him, by the end of the test it was the closest i have seen a grown man cry....honestly:)
    The test would raise some serious questions over power numbers on the turbo though, whilst calibration was set to near zero he was either on EPO last night or has turned into a monster in 6 weeks after hitting an FTP of 278. I will go with the readings, sure as long as its consistent he will get the benefit out of it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You read my mind. You will be deadly in the water. :)

As long as deadly represents an IM swim time of less than 70mins i will be happy:)

Tuesday
    Tempo run - 35mins work @ MP
    This was 5 minutes longer than the previous tempo run. This turned into a bit of a slog compared to last weeks effort. AHR was 169 for the tempo effort which is too high, perhaps the head cold is making it feel more difficult or the pace may take a while getting used to.
    Time: 51:17
    Distance: 11.71kms
    Pace: 4.23km/7.03mile @ tempo 4.13km/6.46mile
    HR: 165

I somehow missed out on the fact that tomorrows session has 30mins @ 100% FTP to look forward to....yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Anyhow i had him testing his FTP last night for the first time to establish his power zones as he is restricted to doing most of his work on the turbo. I took great pleasure in shouting out the orders and watching him suffer. With 6mins to go he wanted to stop, 4mins to go and his world was ending, 2mins to go i thought i would need the use of a defibrillator. Every time the power or hr started to drop i yelled at him, by the end of the test it was the closest i have seen a grown man cry....honestly:)

Fair play to you both. Apparently that's the way to do it alright. He'll thank you in the long run :)

I somehow missed out on the fact that tomorrows session has 30mins @ 100% FTP to look forward to....yay :)

Bring plenty of bananas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice. I had the pleasure of that session today.. wasn't as bad as I was dreading though so I'm sending hope your way :D

RedB wrote: »
    Fair play to you both. Apparently that's the way to do it alright. He'll thank you in the long run :)
    Well he is still talking to me so all is good :)
    Bring plenty of bananas! :D
    The monkey will be getting well fed in the pain cave tomorrow:)
    Nice. I had the pleasure of that session today.. wasn't as bad as I was dreading though so I'm sending hope your way :D
    I will gladly take some hope!! Should be a tough one alright i think I will need some suitable music to keep me going.

Wednesday
    AM - 3500mtr swim set
    In the pool early and i wanted to focus on drills and work on some of my weaker areas from my recent visit to B2R. Session was,
    WU: 300s/200p/2x50k
    4x50fist
    4x50catch up drill (found this useful for timing)
    4x50finger tip drag
    6x50one arm (I threw in an extra 2 here and solely focussed on the right side, it’s only when I done this drill I noticed how off balance and inefficient I was on the right hand side compared to the left which felt smooth)
    4x50 fast on 48,47,47,46
    5x200p - focussed on a high elbow catch and not pushing down on the water.
    4x100 - focussed on a high elbow in the catch phase and controlling my kick, flutter kick almost.
    100bc, 100bs, 100p warm down
    A good session in before work.
    Time: 85mins
    Distance: 3500mtrs

PM - Tough turbo WU/HC/Builds/2x15min @FTP/CD
    The poor monkey never got fed in the pain cave tonight. On paper this should of had me working hard but the FTP efforts felt easier than they should have been. New cleat position also helped but this session certainly showed progression. Certainly a sign i need to retest FTP sooner than planned. Being properly fuelled for this and taking recovery more serious than my first IM campaign is certainly paying dividends.
    A nice confidence booster.
    Stats
    1st 15mins @ FTP - 259watts/AHR164/CAD82
    2nd 15mins @ FTP - 266watts/AHR164/CAD80
    My peak 5 minute power was 279watts and that was the last 5minutes of the 2nd set as i found i could lift it easy enough. I mistook my FTP for 257watts when in fact it should be 252watts based on my first test:rolleyes:
    Time: 1hr
    Distance: 34kms
    Power: AP-222watts & NP 234watts
    Cad: 88
    HR: 152
    799kj

Nice day put in there Fran.

Great progress on the bike. I see your cadence is quite low (80 & 82) for your FTP pieces. Do you find it easier to get a higher power output on lower cadences or is that your natural cadence?

Great progress on the bike. I see your cadence is quite low (80 & 82) for your FTP pieces. Do you find it easier to get a higher power output on lower cadences or is that your natural cadence?

Natural cadence seems to be between 88-90 on my long rides but i do find i can push out higher power at a lower cadence alright. It seems to drop to low 80s but even at that i do not find myself mashing the gears more a steady rhythm i get myself into.
    I was actually looking forward to the 2nd 15min FTP effort and could of done a third one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its often argued that people can produce the most power in lower cadences. I know personally that this works for me when trained. (Specifically) <80 RPM and I am flying.

Brett Sutton a huge fan of low 70s

Advertisement