Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Its often argued that people can produce the most power in lower cadences. I know personally that this works for me when trained. (Specifically) <80 RPM and I am flying.

Brett Sutton a huge fan of low 70s

Any truth in that old chesnut, pushing a lower cadence could tire the legs more for the run or is it really dependant on what feels comfortable for the athelete and their natural cadence?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Any truth in that old chesnut, pushing a lower cadence could tire the legs more for the run or is it really dependant on what feels comfortable for the athelete and their natural cadence?

different stroke for different folks. :)

different stroke for different folks. :)

As i imagined:)

Thursday
    AM - Core/Stretching/Rolling
    45 mins

Lunchtime 6x1500mtrs Intervals/S] getting run over run
    I would like to say a massive FU to the guy who hit n run me whilst out running at lunchtime today. You are an absolute scumbag of the highest order!! Still in shock at what happened today and pain setting in although i do not think anything is broken, might get checked out later. I am going to end up like a bruised banana i reckon.
    I ran 2 of my 6 intervals after i got hit by a van, the adrenaline wore of quick and lucky someone from work passed me by and brought me back.
    I am one lucky boyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thursday
    45 mins

I would like to say a massive FU to the guy who hit n run me whilst out running at lunchtime today. You are an absolute scumbag of the highest order!! Still in shock at what happened today and pain setting in although i do not think anything is broken, might get checked out later. I am going to end up like a bruised banana i reckon.
    I ran 2 of my 6 intervals after i got hit by a van, the adrenaline wore of quick and lucky someone from work passed me by and brought me back.
    I am one lucky boyo.

Soft. very soft, HTFU dude and finish the session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thursday
    45 mins

I am one lucky boyo.

Ah crap. Hope you're alright - hearing about loads of hit and runs lately. Nearly got creamed on Tuesday myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I am one lucky boyo.

To the van driver and in the immortal words of the Pogues and Kirsty:

You scumbag, you maggot
    You cheap lousy ******
    Happy Christmas your arse

Seriously hope all is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ah crap. Hope you're alright - hearing about loads of hit and runs lately. Nearly got creamed on Tuesday myself.

RQ,this is a trainin log,keep ur love life outta here.

Soft. very soft, HTFU dude and finish the session.

Must try harder!! At least the two i got in after getting mashed were bang on pace:rolleyes: before i started getting shakey:o I am sure i probably looked like a dog who just got runover and starts running aimlessly around the place.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135826757

I can only laugh now (thankfully) but some poor old dear stopped a minute after and seen me on the side of the road clutching my arm and thought i was having a stroke or something. When i told her i got knocked down by a van she said ah okay then and drove off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yikes lucky escape indeed JB, hope all is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jaysus, that sounds nasty. How are you today?

Do you wear a Road ID? I bought one last week, just in case. Hope I never need it but better safe......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Jesus! How did it happen? Did he clip you as he went past? Definitely get yourself checked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I do hope your ok, its amazing this time of the year people do not think when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Jesus JB, that is shocking...well not really. Idiots everywhere these days. You probably thought of this already but are there any CCTV cameras around that area? Hope it is not too serious and one thing is for certain -you were lucky it wasn't any worse, god forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You probably thought of this already but are there any CCTV cameras around that area?

It's drogheda so im sure they are all over the place!

I jest JB as someone from Balbriggan.

Hope you are alright dude, not the worst time of the year anyway if you ve to take a short break.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Jaysus, that sounds nasty. How are you today?

Do you wear a Road ID? I bought one last week, just in case. Hope I never need it but better safe......
    Do not wear a road ID but after yesterdays experience i may reconsider. I literally feel like i have been run over by a van this morning :)
    Jesus! How did it happen? Did he clip you as he went past? Definitely get yourself checked out!
    Do not think the van itself hit me (not sure happened so fast) but given the smashed wing mirror beside in the ditch he deineatly hit me with that :)
    BennyMul wrote: »
    I do hope your ok, its amazing this time of the year people do not think when driving.
    Probably texting or some **** as he was right up on the grass verge.
    Jesus JB, that is shocking...well not really. Idiots everywhere these days. You probably thought of this already but are there any CCTV cameras around that area? Hope it is not too serious and one thing is for certain -you were lucky it wasn't any worse, god forbid.
    As you say chief very lucky i got away with some bumps and bruises, might get a scan later just to be sure though. The side he hit me on already has a metal plate attached to my humerus and it feels like it is rattling around a little:o
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    It's drogheda so im sure they are all over the place!

I jest JB as someone from Balbriggan.

Hope you are alright dude, not the worst time of the year anyway if you ve to take a short break.
    No cctv on country roads:)

Finishing up in work now and the craziness has finally stopped. Looking forward to quality time with the family over Xmas and some sleep ins, downtime is badly needed.
    Merry Xmas lads and lassies and keep an eye on the roads you never know what you might run into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

At least you damaged his wing mirror. ;) Can't have the idiot get away clean. So glad you're still in one piece and standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am one lucky boyo.

Heres where you could have sown up the training log of the year title! A little bit of intrigue and sabotage would have seen you home!

Scenario 1:
    I skipped along merrily thinking of sunnier times in Roth when the screech of brakes behind me brought me back to reality. A sharp pain erupted behind my ear as I fell to the ground. I saw an unmarked van speed by, the merest of glimpses at the driver before I slipped into unconsciousness, a gruff impatient looking man and I spotted an unusual tattoo on his neck, it said HTFU! When I came to beside me in the ditch were some empty Haribo cola bottle bags?

Scenario 2: I started to come around, nothing but blurred vision but I distinctly heard the honeyed tones of a softly spoken Scottish girl who seemed worried about me. There was a man with her, I couldnt see his face but he wore a Munster Jersey and was clutching an "Improve your pool etiquette book", he urged her to get back into the van before as IKEA was closing. I then slipped back into unconsciousness.

Now back to nappy changing - glad to hear you are ok!

Excellent CW i got some laugh from that:)

Friday
    Forced rest day licking my wounds

Saturday
    90min Long Run
    Out just after 6am for this one and hooked up with a mate. Pace was kept easy and thankfully avoided running into any vans. Back was stiff and sore for the last 20minutes but two rest days coming up should see me on the mend.
    Time: 1:30:30
    Distance: 17.85kms
    Pace: 5:04km
    HR: 147

Another 4 quality sessions to tick off for next week and it will be damage limitation on weight gain over the next few days. Well it is Xmas:)

• Advertisement

Monday
    30min run inc goal mile
    Headed down with a bellyfull of beer and turkey. Ran a 5:24 for the mile and it was tough going but the fastest i have ran over a mile. Finished with a few easy kms before getting ready for a load of people for dinner at ours.
    Time:30:19
    Distance:6.45kms
    Pace: 4:42km pace

Seems like i will be doubling up next year, Santa got me a Challenge Barcelona entry:)

Tuesday
    30 min - Half arsed core session

50min run with 35mins @ MP
    I felt like a slob who only started running for the first time on this one. Whilst it was really windy out there the 35mins @ MP just felt like a struggle and no doubt the over indulgence over the last 3 days has me feeling this way.
    MP was bang on 4:15 per km and AHR for the 35mins was 168.
    Time: 50:54
    Distance: 11:46kms
    Pace: 4:26km/7:08mile
    HR: 162/174

Detox starts from today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tuesday
    30 min - Half arsed core session

50min run with 35mins @ MP
    I felt like a slob who only started running for the first time on this one. Whilst it was really windy out there the 35mins @ MP just felt like a struggle and no doubt the over indulgence over the last 3 days has me feeling this way.
    MP was bang on 4:15 per km and AHR for the 35mins was 168.
    Time: 50:54
    Distance: 11:46kms
    Pace: 4:26km/7:08mile
    HR: 162/174

Detox starts from today!!

What AHR would you be looking to hit in a stand alone marathon and how does that compare to your LT HR?

griffin100 wrote: »
    What AHR would you be looking to hit in a stand alone marathon and how does that compare to your LT HR?

Well Barcelona this year was AHR of 158 and London was about 168 until the wheels came off but finished up at 162 by the end.
    Realistically i would look to be holding an AHR of 160-162 and my LTHR is 174. It's only the start of marathon specific training so hopefully AHR for MP will start to come down otherwise i will need to revise targets.

Wednesday
    75mins - tough turbo with HC work, builds and 2x20mins @ 105% FTP
    I started off with 10mins of a warm up and then into the usual drills of high cadence work and builds before hitting the first 20mins of 105% FTP effort.
    1st effort 20mins - 271 watts - 107%FTP - CAD 80 - AHR 170
    I was in the pain cave for the first 5-10mins as the legs took an age to wake up. I was close to binning the session after 10 mins but decided to HTFU and settled into a steady effort whilst listening to some classic banging tunes. I ended the 20mins just over required FTP.
    5 min wu in between
    2nd effort 20mins - 299 watts - 118%FTP - CAD 84 - AHR 170
    For the 2nd effort i opened up the deck chair, poured myself an ice tea, settled into the pain cave and threw lots of bananas at my monkey. I decided to cover the garmin and just dig in and see what i had in the legs. 15minutes in and i was dying i took a quick peak at the avg lap power and was shocked to see the avg at 297 watts. Dug in for the last 5minutes for a real hail mary, eyes closed effort and this song came on and just kept me going to bring the effort up to 299watts. And you know what i fecking loved it you cannot beat pushing yourself to your limits and you rarely find yourself in that "zone" well i did today:)
    Time: 1:15
    Distance: 44.7kms
    Power: AP 242watts and NP 257watts
    Cadence: 88/114
    HR: 159/177

So what does this all mean well it means i am becoming half decent on the bike. Whilst this was not an FTP test i did hit 299 watts on the 2nd stint compared to my previous T20 of 265 watts so i make that a 12.8% improvement and that was even after 20mins of a tough effort prior. Watts per kg for that 20min effort came out at 4.39 watts per/kg which is not too shabby.

A bit of a ramble for one session but hey it was a cracker and those sessions should be banked and remembered come the morning of race day when you think you have not done enough.
    Might sneak a 30min easy recovery run in to loosen up the legs before i head out for a meal/drinks with the missus and friends:)

2x20min105ftp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome session....interesting music....which makes me wonder what it was that you referred to as "classic banging tunes" in your first effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

fair play, 299w for 20min is very respectable, excellent progress a new T20 test should be interesting as your current numbers are probably low now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

118% FTP for the 2nd 20 mins :eek::eek: Holy smoke batman. Yes you need to retest but that was a bloody savage effort! Especially as you weigh about the same as a large pigeon :) Impressive 4.4 ish W/kg?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Jesus JB, what an awesome session! As I don't train with power it's not as easy to get my head around the numbers but I know a serious shift in progress when I see it. The new bike position must also help right?

+1 on the banging tunes, pray tell?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Awesome session....interesting music....which makes me wonder what it was that you referred to as "classic banging tunes" in your first effort?
    A small selection just for you Dory for the next time you need a playlist to get through a tough session:) There was a good mix of new and old classic tunes on at the time, as long as it as a high tempo and beat it keeps me going through the tough sessions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol8SLdMmztg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUvc6ESN1w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFd5Cci_pE4:)classic cheese
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrUjvONIrA&feature=fvwrel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86fPsC_cCQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaE0_gQLw0
    BennyMul wrote: »
    fair play, 299w for 20min is very respectable, excellent progress a new T20 test should be interesting as your current numbers are probably low now.
    Yeah i would imagine hitting a bigger number in the T20.
    118% FTP for the 2nd 20 mins :eek::eek: Holy smoke batman. Yes you need to retest but that was a bloody savage effort! Especially as you weigh about the same as a large pigeon :) Impressive 4.4 ish W/kg?!
    Cheers Mike, I had a good laugh at the pigeon comment:). Yeah 4.4w/kg for that 2nd set, i cannot see any reason why i cannot improve on that to over 5w/kg with time. My power profile looks a little like this now
    powerprofile.jpg
    Jesus JB, what an awesome session! As I don't train with power it's not as easy to get my head around the numbers but I know a serious shift in progress when I see it. The new bike position must also help right?
    +1 on the banging tunes, pray tell?
    The PM is still on the road bike for another while yet. I only got fitted on the P2 although i did make some minor changes and the cleat position was changed on my shoes as they were too far forward. Cannot wait to unleash the P2:)

Advertisement