Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Friday PM
    2100MTR swim set
    Eventually got to the pool this time with togs. Better than Wednesdays session, WU was 200sw, 200p and 8x25kicking and then into some drill work with thumbs @thighs & finishing stroke, some fist and some 100s easy, steady, mod and hard. Did not bother timing the 100s as i was being held up in traffic as the pool was busy.
    Time: 50mins
    Distance: 2.1kms

Saturday
    3hr 2.5hr Long Bike
    This was done on the turbo today as i switched over the power meter to the P2 from the road bike. For the second week in a row i am not happy with my long bike. I faded in the last hour or so as average power started to drop along with cadence with HR rising slightly so i done something i rarely do and binned it with half hour to go as my calf and quad muscles were screaming.
    I done 4 stints by 10mins in the aero position to get used to it, the P2 feels completely different to the felt position wise and will take a while getting used to.
    Disappointing session for me and i am left scratching my head as to why as i felt fueling was good prior even though i came off the bike very hungry:confused:
    Time: 2:30
    Distance: 83.8kms
    Avg speed: 33.5kmh
    Power: AP 192watts
    Cadence: 86
    HR: 143 edit: my hr avg was more like 146 not sure why its recording as 143?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

JB I'd be very interested in what exactly was your pre-workout fuel, from this morning and last night/evening?

If you remember I was having similar problems but I think I have it sorted now.

Only now getting on my turbo, wanted to give the knee as much rest as possible since yesterday. Here goes fingers crossed.

JB I'd be very interested in what exactly was your pre-workout fuel, from this morning and last night/evening?

If you remember I was having similar problems but I think I have it sorted now.

Only now getting on my turbo, wanted to give the knee as much rest as possible since yesterday. Here goes fingers crossed.

Hey Micheál, i had dinner late last night, a healthy homemade thai green chicken curry. Early brekkie was porridge, honey and scoop of whey protein mixed in and about 1.5 hours before i jumped on i had two poached eggs on rye bread. During session was 2 750ml bottles of water and a gel so pretty ok i would have thought:confused:

Good luck with the turbo and knee hopefully its not too serious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Expected you to say you pulled a roadrunner and went out running in your y-fronts.

Expected you to say you pulled a roadrunner and went out running in your y-fronts.

Not that crazy besides it would send the local girls into a frenzy and Mrs JB would not approve:)

• Advertisement

Page 5 in the logs its gone nuts around here:)

Sunday
    60 min Run with 1km @ 4.15km at the end
    This started off as a slow and lazy enjoyable run around my local haunt and the muddy trails in Oldbridge. I felt like a kid running through the mud and even seen my mate out getting his prescribed session in albeit at a slower pace a quick exchange of words and i was back to it.
    Felt super running today and could have ran all day at that pace even the 2kms @ 4:15s i threw in at the end felt great, just one of those days your glad to be out running!!
    Time: 1:10:45
    Distance: 14.65kms
    Pace: 4.49km/7.46mile
    HR: 150

40min controlled turbo test
    After discussing the poor long bike on Saturday on the new tt rig i spoke to my coach who suggested i complete a controlled test on both. 5min WU on each @ 130watts and then 15min @ 190 watts a break in between and then switch the power meter over to the road bike and repeat to compare feel/hr/cadence.
    Well i was shocked at the difference a whole 8bpm higher on the TT holding the same power level, thats a full hr zone which goes to explain why easy wattage felt like a 2.5hr steady effort slog!!
    TT – 152AHR / 190watts / 87CAD
    Road – 144AHR / 190watts / 86CAD

Weekly numbers
    02nd Jan - 08th Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|10:09|207.83kms
    Swimming|2|01:50|4.6kms
    Cycling|4|4:49|159.20kms
    Running|4|3.30|44.03kms
    Strenth/Core|0|0:00|N/A

Last week was a recovery week but still a good weeks work put down. I got no core work done so need to try hit one session a week. Weight is back down to 69kg but still 4kg to shift in 11 weeks is still just about manageable but i need to work hard at it.
    This week looks tough on paper again with a run focus, 40min tempo, 7x1.5km intervals and a long run with work around PMP. It kicks off tonight on the turbo with an FTP test, a T5+T20. I need to get my head in the game for that one to get the best out of myself. If i can get myself into the same frame of mind as i was on the 2x20min effort 2 weeks ago and on fresher legs i will be happy. There is a figure in my head i would like to hit but we shall wait and see. Stay tuned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good luck tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

40min controlled turbo test
    After discussing the poor long bike on Saturday on the new tt rig i spoke to my coach who suggested i complete a controlled test on both. 5min WU on each @ 130watts and then 15min @ 190 watts a break in between and then switch the power meter over to the road bike and repeat to compare feel/hr/cadence.
    Well i was shocked at the difference a whole 8bpm higher on the TT holding the same power level, thats a full hr zone which goes to explain why easy wattage felt like a 2.5hr steady effort slog!!
    TT – 152AHR / 190watts / 87CAD
    Road – 144AHR / 190watts / 86CAD

I would expect this tbh, I know when I swapped from 100% road bike to using my tri bike last year it took some getting used to.

You are using different muscles compared to on the road bike. From this week on I will be turbo'ing on my tri bike and long weekends on my road bike for another couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would expect this tbh, I know when I swapped from 100% road bike to using my tri bike last year it took some getting used to.

You are using different muscles compared to on the road bike. From this week on I will be turbo'ing on my tri bike and long weekends on my road bike for another couple of weeks.

Shouldn't be that bad IMHO.

@ MLOC - I was expecting some drop off alright starting off with the tt but a full hr zone change is a huge difference, that and the fact as the long ride went on it just did not feel right.
    There will be a mixture of road bike for the tough turbo sessions and tt for the easy efforts whilst i get things sorted with it.

Monday
    Failed T5+T20 test
    Form is bad right now, test went tits up. Towards the end of the 5min tt effort which came in at 351watts the chain was rattling around in the rear derailer with a loose link. By the time i got it fixed i had lost 20mins, was getting cold and stiff and was getting grumpy.
    A quick text to the coach during the 10min easy to see if there was any point in continuing and we decided to go for it. Off i let rip and shortly into the 20min tt and bang goes the chain again....game over and need to retest at the next available opportunity.
    A right pain as i had built myself up all day for the test which is hard enough to do at times.
    Time: 33:04
    Distance: 20km
    Power: AP 224 / NP 254 - 5min tt 351
    CAD: 84
    HR: 147 / 174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

It wasn't a failed test JB, you just had a mechanical. It happens. Annoying I know, when you have been psyching up to it for the day. The way you attacked the T5 and horsed off at 300w+ for the start of the T20 showed you had the bit between your teeth! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

It wasn't a failed test JB, you just had a mechanical. It happens. Annoying I know, when you have been psyching up to it for the day. The way you attacked the T5 and horsed off at 300w+ for the start of the T20 showed you had the bit between your teeth! :cool:

+1. Keep positive. A huge amount of progress from the measures you are seeing. What's the coachs view on a date for a retest - presumably he wants to keep training valid so will try and get one in soon?

I struggle to read those charts at the best of times but the power line versus the Watts on the x axis for the T5 seems to go north from 380 - but avg 351? Would be interested to see that 5 min segment cut out and blown up.

Well failed test due to mechanical, you get my drift:) I certainly attacked the T5 alright, i think the chain link started to give way a little on the 2nd last push to 384 watts with about a minute to go, see graph below.
    Notwitch wrote: »
    +1. Keep positive. A huge amount of progress from the measures you are seeing. What's the coachs view on a date for a retest - presumably he wants to keep training valid so will try and get one in soon?

I struggle to read those charts at the best of times but the power line versus the Watts on the x axis for the T5 seems to go north from 380 - but avg 351? Would be interested to see that 5 min segment cut out and blown up.

Ah its just a pain in the ass, just need to regroup change out a few links (new chain mind you) and get ready for another go tomorrow. Yeah my old FTP values are miles off so we need to readjust to keep the bike training valid and get the most out of the sessions.

I did not realise you could change the graph to focus on a smaller time section on WKO, you learn something new every day:) Last 10/15 seconds is when the chain was more or less bunched and power dropped off.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime swim - 2600mtr swim set
    Session went well but the lane was pretty busy and much rather the early mornings. WU was 300sw 200p and 100k, there was some fist work which i misread as should have been sculling:rolleyes:, :rolleyes: 4x50k and the main set was 12x100 alt pt paddle & mod hard swim.
    I only timed 4 of the 6 100s due to traffic, times were around 1:49 to 1:55 this was followed by fast 50s all around 50secs so i have lost a bit of pace on these.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 2600mtrs

Easy run - 45mins
    Headed down to the club as i have not been in ages and we have an agm tomorrow. Out with a mate who was doing a pmp session which was easy almost recovery pace for me. Garmin died after 10mins but stats taken from his watch. Good to see the wind has settled down a good bit.
    Time: 56mins
    Distance: 10.87km
    Pace: 5:09km
    Low RPE

Wednesday
    Lunchtime Run - 60 min run with 40min tempo @ PMP
    After careful consideration myself and the coach decided to drop the attempted FTP retest on the bike as it would cause problems with the key 3 run sessions for the marathon this week of which this was No 1 of them. Kicked off the WU and the builds and was expecting a tough run as i was not "feeling it". A quick watering of the bushes:) and i got stuck straight into the tempo work.
    Straight away the 4:15s (actually 4.10s) were feeling controlled and comfortable, 20mins in and still the same and all of a sudden for the first time i could honestly say i felt like i have a real chance at this sub 3hr malarky. I finished the tempo strong around 4min km pace for the last 5 minutes and did not struggle on it at any stage. There will be lots more key sessions which will dictate if the sub3 is wishful thinking or not but for now i am happy with this key session.
    Tempo pace: 40mins/4.11km/6.43mile pace/9.54kms/cad 92/AHR 162 - 84% and exactly what i would be expecting for the marathon:)
    Time: 58:03
    Distance: 13.28kms
    Pace: 4.22km / 7.01mile
    HR:161

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wednesday
    Lunchtime Run - 60 min run with 40min tempo @ PMPKicked off the WU and the builds and was expecting a tough run as i was not "feeling it".

I have noticed that during runs that feel like a slog, if I stop for a p*ss I had being holding it feels easier afterwards. All in the mind or not I do not know.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I have noticed that during runs that feel like a slog, if I stop for a p*ss I had being holding it feels easier afterwards. All in the mind or not I do not know.

A couple of grams lighter:)

Wednesday evening
    Core & Stretch
    40 mins

Thursday
    Nothing as i was in the UK with work, 3.30am early start as on the red eye. From sleep to sleep i was on the go for about 20 odd hours, tired.com!!

Friday
    7x1.5km interval session @ 4.15km pace
    I felt like a bag of sh1t that had been just warmed up in the microwave for this run, no energy, bloody tired from Thursday and looking for every excuse in the book not to go out at lunchtime:o
    When i finished the 2nd interval i was passing a shortcut back to work and that little fvker who sits on your left shoulder was tempting me saying go on its ok head back to work, take it easy, have a rest you deserve it.
    Whilst all this was going on the other little fvker on my right shoulder was telling me to HTFU, stop being a pansy and SIU buttercup. In the end he won over and we got this done:)
    The intervals were all around 6-20 - 6-22 apart from the last one which was up the steep Marys St hill for the last 4/500mtr and i could not hold the 4.15pace for it.
    Time: 1:10:27
    Distance: 15.54kms
    Pace: 4.32km
    HR: left in other training bag, steady effort

Will try get an easy swim in later as there was not a chance i was getting up at 6am:) Need to also jump on the tt bike at some stage and try somethinmg out for 40mins as we may have found a solution....time will tell.

Good nights sleep tonight should reset the body clock and then into some meaty work on the long bike and run this weekend.

Friday eve
    The set was 2600mtr but i was tight for time in the evening as i was heading down to a mates to fit his srm onto his bike. Managed 2000mtrs consisting of 200sw,200p,100k WU, 4x50 ripple drill, 10x50p with 25fist, 25sw, 4x50 des 1-4 on 75 which all came in around 47-51, 6x100 alt sw/p concentrating on pushing the buoy and raising my hips, 4x50sw easy.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 2000mtrs

Saturday
    3.5hr long bike with IM and HIM paced efforts
    Set off with a mate on his newly fitted srms:) I stuck with him for the first hour as he headed for home and the pace was very easy. The plan called for 1.5 hour easy, 40mins @ IM pace, 30mins easy, 20mins @ HIM pace and 30mins easy home. I had a quick stop to fix the chain (again) its going in the bin, luckily i had the old chain and replaced it.
    I felt good throughout and i think bringing two bottles with me and a little more nutrition helped a bit. Happy with how it went and the IM paced effort felt good with the HIM pinching a small bit towards the end of it. Endurance certainly coming on a bit.
    Stats
    1:30:00 easy - AP 149 - NP 157 - AHR 131 - CAD78 - Avgspeed 26.2kmph (very handy)
    40:00 IM effort - AP 210(74%ftp) - NP 211 - AHR 151(82%mhr) - CAD80 - Avgspeed 31.7kmph
    30:00 easy - AP 174 - NP 175 - AHR 141 - CAD78 - Avgspeed 33.1kmph
    20:00 HIM effort- AP 229(80%ftp) - NP 229 - AHR 157(85%mhr) - CAD69 - Avgspeed 31.3kmph
    30:00 easy - AP 173 - NP 177 - AHR 147 - CAD70 - Avgspeed 29.1kmph
    Time: 3:30
    Distance: 101.99kms
    Speed: 29.1kms
    Power: AP175 / NP 185
    Cadence: 76 (starting to think my cadence readings could be off)
    HR: 141
    Elev: 564mtrs
    2202kj

Sunday
    100min Long Progression Run
    I did not get out until darkness fell as Mrs JB was away since yesterday afternoon so the kids kept me on my toes:). Before the run my legs felt a little tender and i wondered if i would nail this session, thankfully i did. Headed out with the the torch and after 10mins of running i found my running legs.
    The plan called for 60mins easy, 20mins @4:30km pace and 20min @4.15km pace. I actually found the 4.30 and even the 4.15 pace at a low steady effort which was good and i finished strong. My hr was low for the overall run but matches how i felt and RPE so a good sign. Overall a pleasing run and the coach has me flying compared to last year. I remember 4:30km pace in the London marathon last year being a bit hellish but now it feels grand, even 4.15km pace now is fine....just about putting 42kms together!!
    60mins easy - 12.45kms/4.49km pace/AHR145
    20mins 4.30km pace - 4.46kms/4.29km pace/AHR 157
    20mins 4.15km pace - 4.79kms/4.11km pace/AHR 157
    10min warm down - 2.05kms/4.53km pace/AHR 151

Time: 1:50:00
    Distance: 23.74kms
    Pace: 4.38km / 7.28mile
    HR: 150

30min recovery turbo
    I just jumped on for 30mins to spin the legs out when i got back, really helped.
    Time: 30mins
    Distance: 12.7kms
    Power: AP139
    Cadence: 93
    HR: 128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Solid training over the weekend. Especially having been in the UK. I know that Red Eye flight only too well!
    Keep it up!

Weekly numbers
    09th Jan - 15th Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|11:53|207.83kms
    Swimming|2|01:45|4.6kms
    Cycling|3|4:33|134.69kms
    Running|4|4.5|63.44kms
    Strenth/Core|1|40:00|N/A

Wowzers what a tough week in particular the run focus is really pushing me. Its probably only this week i have the belief of the sub3 but i am also realistic and launching a sub3 attempt whilst keeping the cycling and swimming on the go is hard work and i am certainly training harder/smarter than ever before.
    I am asking a lot to attempt the sub3 and sub 10 in the same year but as most know by now i am not one for setting easy targets and not pushing myself:). I need to try get back to the pool 3 times a week as i am finding 2 sessions a week is leaving me static in terms of finding improvement. Legs certainly have been worked this week and as you will see from the PMC chart below my CTL and ATL are at there highest yet although still have a lot more to give. It is great to see your fitness improvements graphed out (blue line CTL) from when i started with the coach in October.
    pmc-2.jpg

I have two races coming up soon the Sportsman duathlon and the Fingal Duathlon so looking forward to both, more than likely doing Triathy sprint as well. The running club have their 10k on in May so i if it works i may give this a go as i have not run a 10k in about 18 months.

snack_ie wrote: »
    Solid training over the weekend. Especially having been in the UK. I know that Red Eye flight only too well!
    Keep it up!

Cheers man, that red eye is a bitch alright. Probably a few more trips over and possibly 3 day trip in the next few weeks so will just need to juggle things about a bit and bring my runners:)

Log title change on its way:D. Seen as i have already completed an Ironman and this is my 5 year plan which i am in my 2nd year it seems more appropriate to put it out there.

Log title change on its way:D. Seen as i have already completed an Ironman and this is my 5 year plan which i am in my 2nd year it seems more appropriate to put it out there.

Cool1 Whats the Mai Tai cocktail about?

Cool1 Whats the Mai Tai cocktail about?

Picture it, i have just finished Kona and i take a moment of reflection with Mrs JB. We order two Mai Tai cocktails and clink our glasses as we toast. Mai Tai translates from Tahitian to mean "Out of this World". Thats exactly how that cocktail will taste and how i will feel after getting a Kona slot, racing over there and generally just celebrating an impossible dream i had over a decade ago. (how cheesy is that:pac:)

If you have not tried Mai Tai cocktails they are awesome:)

Plenty of kms and hard/smart work to be done before even attempting such a challenge hence the 5 year plan with the sub 10 attempt this year being one of those milestone steps along the way.
    Realistically i would need to be going mid to lowish 9hr to qualify and whilst i would love to qualify next year in year 3 i think it could be a year 4 or 5....who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What are you going up the next age grade Jacky - is there even any difference between qualifying standards between the two?

catweazle wrote: »
    What are you going up the next age grade Jacky - is there even any difference between qualifying standards between the two?
    These are taken from Frankfurt IM in 2011 showing the fastest and slowest qualifying slot times, so nearly 20mins in the difference between AG although you would want to be firmly around 9.20/5 to make sure of it. Given i will never break 60mins on the swim more like 70mins you would be looking at a 4.50 bike and 3.10 marathon:eek: scary stuff but thankfully do not need to worry about it for a good while.

M30
    08:33:54
    09:18:42

M35
    09:07:26
    09:36:16
    This is my last year racing in 30-34AG and then i move up to 35-39AG and it all goes downhill from there:)

These are taken from Frankfurt IM in 2011 showing the fastest and slowest qualifying slot times, so nearly 20mins in the difference between AG although you would want to be firmly around 9.20/5 to make sure of it. Given i will never break 60mins on the swim more like 70mins you would be looking at a 4.50 bike and 3.10 marathon:eek: scary stuff but thankfully do not need to worry about it for a good while.

M30
    08:33:54
    09:18:42

M35
    09:07:26
    09:36:16
    This is my last year racing in 30-34AG and then i move up to 35-39AG and it all goes downhill from there:)

JB, I once had a mission to break 30 minutes for 1500m! Swimming just has to be approached from a technical point of view, every time you swim. I've never come across a sport where bad habits are reinforced so easily. Think about it. If you had a weak catch and chose to ignore it, you will reinforce that weak catch some 2,400 times in a single session!

I move up to 35-39AG next year too, its not all bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Mai Tais are crazy delicious. And they go down like Kool Aid. Yum. :) Love your new log title and your dream goal. Go for it....with gusto!!

Advertisement