Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I move up to 35-39AG next year too, its not all bad :)

I've been there for a few years now. It's where all the cool cats are! :D

Love the new log title Fran! Cracking target. Something tells me you'll achieve it....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    I've been there for a few years now. It's where all the cool cats are! :D

Are you not 40-44 this year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You're all very young.....2012 will be my last year in the 35-39 AG......2013 will see me enter the dreaded 40-44AG.......jaysus I feel old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Mai Tais are crazy delicious. And they go down like Kool Aid. Yum. :) Love your new log title and your dream goal. Go for it....with gusto!!

I remember sitting in some Tiki type bar in Vegas on time and they were going down to easy, as you say they are like kool aid but by god they blow the head off you after a few, i was close to doing a few lengths of the Bellagio hotel water feature:)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I've been there for a few years now. It's where all the old age pensioners are! :D
    Love the new log title Fran! Cracking target. Something tells me you'll achieve it....:cool:

FYP:)
    griffin100 wrote: »
    You're all very young.....2012 will be my last year in the 35-39 AG......2013 will see me enter the dreaded 40-44AG.......jaysus I feel old.

Take up bowls or knitting so:) I believe 40-44AG is still a very strong AG in particular Long course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Take up bowls or knitting so:) I believe 40-44AG is still a very strong AG in particular Long course.

Understatement! Take a look at Matt Molloy and others in the 40-44 AG. AFAIK MM got a roll down slot for Kona this year. Now that's scary! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

have to agree with griffin100, all this young fella talk is make me feel old.

best of luck with the plan, also looking forward to reading the logs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

These are taken from Frankfurt IM in 2011 showing the fastest and slowest qualifying slot times, so nearly 20mins in the difference between AG although you would want to be firmly around 9.20/5 to make sure of it. Given i will never break 60mins on the swim more like 70mins you would be looking at a 4.50 bike and 3.10 marathon:eek: scary stuff but thankfully do not need to worry about it for a good while.

M30
    08:33:54
    09:18:42

M35
    09:07:26
    09:36:16
    This is my last year racing in 30-34AG and then i move up to 35-39AG and it all goes downhill from there:)

JB, great targets and best of luck. I think the targets may even be tighter than that as the number of slots has dropped from 100 last year to 75 this year and forwards. Race selection will be a big factor come the real qualifying attempts, at your size and weight UK or Wales may be better options than a tters course like germany.

Notwitch wrote: »
    JB, great targets and best of luck. I think the targets may even be tighter than that as the number of slots has dropped from 100 last year to 75 this year and forwards. Race selection will be a big factor come the real qualifying attempts, at your size and weight UK or Wales may be better options than a tters course like germany.

Yeah i believe it is down to 75 places alright for Frankfurt. I do not think i could bring myself to doing UKIM again or even try Wales but your right race selection is key. Lanza or Nice could be an option as the bike course would suit a lightweight like myself :) as far as i know they have 11 spots for 35 to 40 on both.
    If i go sub 10 this year (still a big if) i would probably have two cracks at IM branded races next year and try my luck at getting a slot. I am not sure i would accept a roll down slot either as i would want to get in on merit and not on someone else passing up a spot. Plenty to think about and do this year before i lose the run of myself:rolleyes:

Monday
    Recovery Run
    This was purposely slow as hell as it was more about active recovery to bring some life back into the legs. Legs went from feeling like planks to about 70% back to normal.
    Time: 34:47
    Distance: 6.25kms
    Pace: 5.33km:rolleyes:
    HR: 138

TT bike position testing - 30mins turbo
    Cannot upload garmin edge files at the moment so taken from unit. Both 15min tests came in at 175watts, and 90cad for the same ahr of 140 although moving the seat forward felt more comfortable. I still think the saddle is too high but the coach is looking at my position. Photos below and any comments welcome.
    This also helped the legs.
    Time: 33:11
    Distance: 16.9kms
    Power: AP - 175watts
    Cadence: 89
    HR: 139

Tuesday
    45min Easy Lunchtime Run
    Legs 90% back to normal YAY:), felt good to be back to normal running and yesterdays recovery run really helped. Kept it easy, AHR showing as 151 but spiking at 170s for first few minutes so more like high 140s. Its a relief to have my legs feeling normal again, its a strange one as i am normally a resiliant fcvker and the legs usually hold up well!!
    Time: 43:24
    Distance: 9.01kms
    Pace: 4.48km
    HR: 151

PM - Swim session in the madness of night time swimming
    Getting back at it on the swim front, pool was busy but a good session as there was some fast feet to follow in the lane and very little time for hanging about.
    Plan called for 2300mtrs but i ended up doing 2700 as i felt good in the water tonight. Session was WU of 100sw,100p,100k, then 600mtrs of sculling as 4x50, fs/ms/rs, 10x50p with 25fist 25sw, 6x100 alt with sw/p and wd of 100sw/100p/100k. I had 10mins spare before the pool closed at the end so added in 400p warm down concentrating on perfect technique.
    Time: 1:05
    Distance: 2700mtrs

Pics of tt position any comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Saddle definitely looks too high to my uneducated eye. Thats a very straight looking leg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Saddle definitely looks too high to my uneducated eye. Thats a very straight looking leg

+1

Body position is ok, but probably losing some power at the bottom of the cycle with that straight leg. 5 hours of that and your hips will feel it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I am looking at converting a road bike for the day and was reading this yesterday, it may help http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art11.htm
    (did only glance over it so sorry if its a load of .....)

personally it is a nice flat back, I think the leg looks fine. you could look at dropping the tip of the saddle a few mm, this will open the hip angle.

no matter what its a fast looking bike. well wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Does the “please do not smoke sign refer to the turbo?” ;)

Yeah and the front of the foot is pointing down which shows i am reaching, cheers BTH.
    +1

Body position is ok, but probably losing some power at the bottom of the cycle with that straight leg. 5 hours of that and your hips will feel it

Yes body position would not be considered overly aggressive but it could be dropped down another 5mm10mm at the front over time and taking comfort into consideration. Funnily enough its at the bottom of the cycle where i feel like i am losing the power not to mention a strain on quads/glutes/hammers.calf. Sure 2.5hours 2 weeks ago had me in tatters after it:o
    BennyMul wrote: »
    I am looking at converting a road bike for the day and was reading this yesterday, it may help http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art11.htm
    (did only glance over it so sorry if its a load of .....)

personally it is a nice flat back, I think the leg looks fine. you could look at dropping the tip of the saddle a few mm, this will open the hip angle.

no matter what its a fast looking bike. well wear
    I was going to suggest a road bike might be better for UKIM alright. I will have a look at the article later but a quick glance about the foot being level at the bottom of the cycle would show i am slightly high.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Does the “please do not smoke sign refer to the turbo?” ;)
    Ha Ha well spotted, that room actually used to be a bar in the house, bar still there but no longer used as the room is now used as pain cave for tough turbos:)

I guess trial and error is whats required along with measuring power and hr in different angles/positions. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

sLoving the new goals and the fact you've put it out there. Too long has the Irish psych been either too negative or limited in belief....go for it dude!

That second pic JB seems very aggressive alright, might be just right for a sprint race. For IM I would think it's more about the most comfortable position, you'll get it. One thing for sure, you already look fast!

Wednesday
    45 mins Tempo run @ PMP with WU/builds/CD
    I was unsure how this was going to go down as the legs felt like they were still only 90% back to normal but i said i would give it a go and see how i got on. I was about 15/20secs into my running when the receptionist ran out to say there was an important call:mad: Sorted that and 5mins later i was back into my running. 5mins wu and then 5mins builds as 30sec build 30sec easy and then straight into the 45mins @ PMP.
    PMP felt good, working slightly harder than last weeks tempo but overall it felt fine. I ended up running an extra minute or so as i did not hear the beeper going off:rolleyes:. Nice to get a session in like this at lunchtime.
    PMP Stats
    45mins / 4.13km pace / ahr162 / cad 92
    Time: 1:03:46
    Distance: 14.55kms
    Pace: 4.23km / 7.03mile
    HR: 159

sLoving the new goals and the fact you've put it out there. Too long has the Irish psych been either too negative or limited in belief....go for it dude!

That second pic JB seems very aggressive alright, might be just right for a sprint race. For IM I would think it's more about the most comfortable position, you'll get it. One thing for sure, you already look fast!

You know me ElD not one for hiding behind targets:) Whilst the 2nd one looks more agressive it actually feels more comfortable:confused: either way i will look at saddle height next and try a few things. Lets hope i am as fast as i look:)

Wednesday Eve
    30min - Core session
    Finding these a pain but they need to be done

45min recovery/messing about with tt position
    I had 45mins to spare whilst dropping off the eldest to scouts before collecting him. Played about with position, changed the slope of the saddle a touch to bring the nose down and dropped the saddle height down by 1.5cm and bang it feels much better. I was happy pedaling away for the 45mins with no issues or strain on the legs. I have a 1hr spin tomorrow which i will try do at lunchtime and eventually bring the P2 out on the road...weather dependant:p
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 20.6kms
    Power: 162watts
    Cadence: 91
    HR: 129

Legs are back to normal, thank christ as it was causing me some annoyance.

Thursday
    2600mtr swim set
    Decent enough swim and hopefully a bit of consistency now for the next few weeks will bring on some more swim improvements. Session was WU-200sw,200p,4x25k then 3x(2x150p steady, 2x100 as 50 fast, 50 cruise). 100 easy, 4x50 fast on 75 which came in at 47,49,48 and gunned the last one in 45 and warm down 100k,100p,100sw.
    Time: 1:00
    Distance: 2600mtrs

Lunchtime Spin - 1hr easy
    This was the first time out on the road with the cervelo. I left the zipp404s on to get a feel for how the bike felt. Wind was mad and the cross winds had me feeling a bit twitchy on it as the bike is so light and i am getting used to handling etc.
    I hit a nice smooth straight piece of road for about 10/15mins and was clicking along nicely in the easy zone between 45 and 55kmph, she is a fast bike once you get onto decent road. The heavens opened up and the winds picked up and i was fighting to keep the bike in a straight line so i cut the spin short but i was happy with the bike/ride.
    Probably going to use the tt bike for the long bike at the weekend and get some saddle time in which has 3x30min efforts at IM intensity.
    Finally got my garmin edge 500 issue sorted on the work laptop, yay!!
    Time: 45:31
    Distance: 23.06kms
    Avg speed: 30.4kmph
    Power: AP 185 / NP 191
    Cadence: 84
    HR: 143

I hit the snooze button on the alarm this morning for a swim session as i was working at home until 1am so i needed that extra hour in bed!! Interval run at lunchtime and then hopefully pick up the swim session after work....whenever that is.

Another red eye flight to London on Monday with a possible stay over so not ideal for training next week. Life is getting hectic again:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good man, JB - great to see that goal up in lights!

Why restrict yourself to 5 years?-I'm following this guy's plan...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Just catching up on reading logs after a bit of time away from boards... love the new title and plan JB!

• Advertisement

Friday
    Lunchtime Interval Session 5x1500mtr @ PMP
    Frustrations building up after a sh1te day in the office so well and truly took it out on this run. HR acting up again at the start of the run. Intervals felt very good and the times came in on 6.17, 6.20, 6.16, 6.16, 6.18 for an AHR of 161, 160, 157, 155, 158. Ended up miscalculating the route which resulted in an extra 10 mins and me being late back for a meeting:rolleyes:
    Time: 1:12:53
    Distance: 16.17kms
    Pace: 4.30km pace
    HR: 156

2000mtr swim set
    It was like a feeding frenzy at the zoo and pool etiquette went out the window with all sorts of crazy stuff going on. In the middle of the madness the session was WU 200p,200sw,4x50k, 4x50 des 1-4 on 75 coming in on 51,50,47,47 and 10x100 alt sw/PT with 200bc warm down.
    Time: 45mins
    Distance: 2000mtrs

@Izo - If you see me doing IM at that age you can shoot me:D Good read in fairness to the guy and showing some guts at that age.

@KQ - Well stranger hope the training is going well for Frankfurt.

Saturday
    3.5hr Long Bike with 3x30min @ IM pace and 10min HIM pace
    Felt super strong on this and the IM pace efforts felt very good. Missus was heading out so i stayed close to home and just done laps of a local route until i got the call. The plan was to do whatever was left of the ride on the turbo. I had 2.28 out on the road and when i got back i hooked up to the turbo. Around 10mins in and the two eldest lads were having none of it so that was the end of that:o. Missed out on the last 20mins of the 3rd IM effort and the 10min HIM but i felt super getting off the bike and felt like i could have ran a marathon there and then.
    The ride was on the P2 and the positional changes i made last week feel great now. I probably spent about 40mins in total in the aero position, will build on this each week.
    Even though windy as hell out there i really enjoyed this one.
    IM sections came in at AP216/147AHR, AP213/149AHR, AP210/140AHR. When i map this (in graph format of course;)) it is the best ride relative to hr/norm power since i started back in October so for sure becoming more powerful and aerobically efficient. The engine to drive me around Roth is being slowly built:D
    Time: 2:40:57
    Distance: 81.96km
    Pace: 30.6kmph
    Power: AP 197 / NP 201
    Cadence: 77 / 120
    HR: 142 / 155

1.5km straight swim
    Just a quick swim whilst the kids splashed about. Straight 1.5km with the pull buoy and kept it very easy.
    Time: 28:16
    Distance: 1500mtrs
    Pace: 1:53per 100mtr
    longbikestats.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Sweet sweet day when you feel so good coming off the long bike :) haven't felt that way in a while myself but I know power gains were certainly being made pre Christmas. Hopefully I'll get through next week with no issues and then I'm sure I can start building my engine-different from yours, turbo needed but same principle :)

You had the TT out today right? Must be great to be feeling so good on your new ride and it's only Jan.

Sweet sweet day when you feel so good coming off the long bike :) haven't felt that way in a while myself but I know power gains were certainly being made pre Christmas. Hopefully I'll get through next week with no issues and then I'm sure I can start building my engine-different from yours, turbo needed but same principle :)

You had the TT out today right? Must be great to be feeling so good on your new ride and it's only Jan.

Yeah i felt as strong as some of the long bikes i had during peak phase of IM training. To be feeling that strong in January is a good sign. Yeah out on the TT today, some bike and i am expecting some fast bike splits this year all going well. It will be interesting to see what time i can put on my bike splits from the Sportsman Duathlon last year when i race it soon enough.

Glad to see the itb and knee is holding up after the few easy sessions this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

JB, I once had a mission to break 30 minutes for 1500m! Swimming just has to be approached from a technical point of view, every time you swim. I've never come across a sport where bad habits are reinforced so easily. Think about it. If you had a weak catch and chose to ignore it, you will reinforce that weak catch some 2,400 times in a single session!

I move up to 35-39AG next year too, its not all bad :)

Could not agree more with this. I started tris in 08 and i could swim 1500m in 25/26 mins...in 2011 i was still swimming 25/26 mins. Reason why is i did no technique work. Only doing technique 3 mths now and noticing a big difference. Every length counts...am constantly reminding myself of the little changes i am making to improve my catch, my balance,my kick...practice makes perfect !!! Just swimming lengths your pi$$in against the wind. Technique drills is were its at.

Could not agree more with this. I started tris in 08 and i could swim 1500m in 25/26 mins...in 2011 i was still swimming 25/26 mins. Reason why is i did no technique work. Only doing technique 3 mths now and noticing a big difference. Every length counts...am constantly reminding myself of the little changes i am making to improve my catch, my balance,my kick...practice makes perfect !!! Just swimming lengths your pi$$in against the wind. Technique drills is were its at.

Yeah B i have noticed an improvement with the coaches technique drills and my times have come tumbling down. Each session has a focus were as last year i was as you say "pi$$in against the wind" doing lengths with no purpose.
    I just cannot see me being able to do a sub 60 IM swim anytime soon, i would be more than happy to shave 20mins off my UKIM swim split for a sub 70min in Roth.

Sunday
    29km Long Progression Run
    The plan called for an hour easy, 30mins @ 4.30km pace and finishing with 20mins @ 4.15km pace. I had planned to head out at 6.30am but the baby birthday girl who was 1 today had other ideas and i decided i would go out later.
    Never felt as strong doing a long run in my life.....fact. It's a strange one i almost felt like i was at the end of a taper period getting ready for a big race. I was feeling fresh and strong and not feeling the way you would expect after a solid 2 weeks work and also factoring in how the legs felt at the start of the week. Felt like i had just been out for a 30min easy run when i got back to the house!!
    Warm down was only planned for 10mins but i ran a bit longer than planned as i bumped into a mate towards the end and tacked on 3kms to finish off the run together.
    If i look back to a similar long run this time last year in prep for Barca Marathon the comparisons are stark, same hr/effort but this year 30secs per km quicker. Here is hoping i can say the same next year for 4min km pace:)
    Time: 2:14:40
    Distance: 29kms
    Pace: 4.39km/7.28mile
    HR: 149 (well within easy range)
    longrunsjan.jpg

1hr recovery turbo
    Had some work reading to do for the redeye trip tomorrow morning so combined it whilst doing a recovery/easy ride on the turbo.
    Time: 60mins
    Distance: 27.2kms
    Power: 154
    Cadence: 94
    HR: 128

Weekly numbers
    16th Jan - 22nd Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|15:22|253:51kms
    Swimming|4|03:18|8.8kms
    Cycling|5|5:45|169.72kms
    Running|5|5.49|74.99kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:30|N/A

A good weeks work put down and very pleased with both long sessions this week. They really are the bread and butter of IM training and without them you are going nowhere fast. I was very concerned with the legs at the start of the week but they came around quick enough. Happy to have the tt position sorted and its great to finally be out on the road with it.
    Good consistency across all 3 elements and plenty of easy/recovery work mixed in with the harder stuff.....easy done easy and hard done hard:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great training JB...Alot of effort and time management goes into it.....Are u doing Barca marathon in March... If so what time u hoping for ???

• Advertisement

liamo123 wrote: »
    Great training JB...Alot of effort and time management goes into it.....Are u doing Barca marathon in March... If so what time u hoping for ???

Yeah Liamo doing Barca again and cannot wait. Sub 3 is the plan....gulp:)

Advertisement