Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Time to feed the inner stats nerd in me. Decent months work put in bar the last half week i lost to sickness. Below shows stats and breakdown for the month......saves me typing it:)

Yup nerd is the word that comes to mind :pac: I'm still trying to get the hang of the lap function on my Garmin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Are those graphs all your own work or are they the product of Training Peaks or something similar? My coach has recently set me up on training peaks, and at the minute I'm uploading training to two different sites for him. I don't have premium access on TP as he's not sure which one we'll use longer term, but he does mention that it produces endless reports. Are these the kind of things I could get with premium access. TP looks like is was created on a commodore 64. The other site I use is much more user friendly, but doesn't yet have the depth of analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Wednesday
    24002800mtr swim session
    I had to stop/start several times for a breather and was getting frustrated. I got to 16mins and stupidly realised i had not recalibrated the power meter after the wu as it sometimes is 30/40 watts out with the temp fluctuations indoors on the turbo.
    A quick zero/recalib and then into the 10mins easy. Launched into the second one with gusto and straight away it felt more like threshold should feel like.....hurty but just about manageable. I must have been trying to push 320/330 on the first one:rolleyes:
    Really got in the zone on this one and found a nice metronomic rhythm. Got to 20mins and decided to roll it on to 25mins to make up for the first botched 20min effort although the last few minutes was a real struggle but managed to eek up the average and bring it to 293watts on the second one as i was hitting over 300watts (ftp is 284watts).

Why would you say you were pushing 320 / 330 on the first one? Would your power meter not have said that??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Are those graphs all your own work or are they the product of Training Peaks or something similar? My coach has recently set me up on training peaks, and at the minute I'm uploading training to two different sites for him. I don't have premium access on TP as he's not sure which one we'll use longer term, but he does mention that it produces endless reports. Are these the kind of things I could get with premium access. TP looks like is was created on a commodore 64. The other site I use is much more user friendly, but doesn't yet have the depth of analysis.
    Yeah all training peaks full version, i have to say i find it great to keep track of everything and its a useful tool for myself and the coach. Lots of data to keep me entertained. I find the WKO software also very good for reviewing rides with the power meter, that goes into even more detail.
    HalfTri wrote: »
    Why would you say you were pushing 320 / 330 on the first one? Would your power meter not have said that??:confused:

The power 2 max power meter i use suffers from drift caused by temperature variation indoors on the turbo, this would be an issue with other crank based units to a lesser extent being used indoors. This is never an issue outdoors though.
    Sometimes it can vary up to 30/40 watts less for me if it is not recalibrated or zeroed and i know of two other users who would have the same issue (Pgibbo and Bambatta). Its a bit of a pain considering its 1k worth of kit but it only takes a few seconds to sort and it stabilises after that to give accurate power readings. I forgot to do this after the warm up last night so my power numbers are showing lower than they should have been if properly zeroed and calibrated so thats why it felt much tougher to hit my threshold figure on the first 20min effort as realistically i was pushing out higher watts.
    Hope that makes sense as it sounds confusing to me reading it back:)

Thursday
    45min easy run
    Legs very sluggish after Wednesday nights turbo so took this very easy.
    Time: 44:59, Distance: 9.03kms, Pace: 4.59km, HR: 149, TSS:72

60min easy turbo
    This was not done.

An insight in to my sometimes crazy life but i would not change it for a minute:). In from work and Mrs JB stressed after a busy day in the home so she was dispatched off to the gym and a coffee with a friend for some "me" time. Hannah the 1yr old was overtired and cranky so she got her "bokkie" milk and off to bed after some cuddles. Lauren the 2.5yr old was having a little princess strop and given she is a Daddys girl only i could sort it so all she wanted was some Peppa Pig:) Sky+ switched on and another member of the JB clan happy. Next up was Ben the 9yr old who was having a homework meltdown as only 9yr olds can, he reminds me of that kid off the Harry Enfield show at times, you know the one Kevin & Perry. Once he was sorted it was Ryan the 5yrs old turn who wanted to play Battleship and he got his wish kicking my ass. Kids all had supper and then off to bed, i sorted a babysitter and when the missus came back off we headed to the cinema to catch a flick. The Grey, a must watch and Neeson is just the boss in the last few films i have seen him in.
    So in a nutshell no turbo done but a very productive and enjoyable evening:), even got a different aerobic workout at the end of it all but not sure what the TSS score on Training Peaks would be for that;)

Friday
    2500mtr swim set
    I was a lazy ass and slept through the alarm this morning which meant pushing the swim out to lunchtime and intervals to after work, i hate doing sessions after work on a Friday. Anyway the session had a WU of 300sw, 200p, 100k, main set was 5x(100pt, 100p, 100sw fast). Bryangiggsy was down for a swim in what was a busy and frustrating lane at times with guys in there that should not have been. A sign of improvement when i am the one being held up in the lane. A couple of the various 100s were held up due to eejits but the ones i did record was the pt paddles close on 2mins, 100p steady in around 1:48 and the 100sw fast in around 1:42/3 which was good. I had 4x50 fast in 45-47 and then 200 warm down.
    Another good session and starting to get my swimming groove back albeit Bryangiggsy will kick my ass in the water this season. It's all about consistency and the one thing i have noticed is i am bending my elbow more under the water and its giving me a better pull and good forward propulsion.
    Time: 55mins, Distance: 2500mtrs

6x1.5km intervals
    I was instantly regretting being lazy this morning and not getting this session done at lunchtime. I was doing laps around the grass running track which is still in ****. I was mentally flagging after 2 intervals and was for bailing. I got to what i thought was interval no 5 to find the garmin saying no 4 which resulted in a little cry and moan. I needed a good dose of HTFU to get 4,5 and 6 done with the last one done out on the road. I was working much harder on the exposed running track and with the lack of traction on the **** surface.
    Times were, 6.16, 6.15, 6.14, 6.17, 6.21 and 6.18, effort was high and AHR was 166, 168, 167, 169, 168 and some difference on the road for last one at 163. I hate Friday evening sessions but glad i dug in and got this done, stubborn as a mule:)
    Time: 1:08, Distance: 15kms, Pace: 4:32km, HR: 162, TSS: 134

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

So in a nutshell no turbo done but a very productive and enjoyable evening:), even got a different aerobic workout at the end of it all but not sure what the TSS score on Training Peaks would be for that;)
    ]

It depends on your perceived effort I would imagine...........

Some very nice improvements with your swim there JB, very very jealous..........but then again aa I've only swam 3 times this year I cant really complain about how slow my swimming has become

Saturday
    A ****ty long bike
    The plan was a 3.5hr long ride as 1.15 easy, 3x30mins @ 10min easy as 1,2 at IM intensity and 3 at HIM intensity. I headed out and it was spitting down, headed for Slane into Ardee onwards Carrickmacross into Dundalk and up around the Sportsman Duathlon course (hit 15mins or so for one lap). As i was back into Dundalk i got a bloody puncture, fixed this and went to go again....sh1t i must have pinched the tube. My final tube was replaced and same sh1t again, it's only when i took the 2nd tube out i noticed a bloody nail through the tyre. That was that an SOS call made to the missus who collected me 40mins later. I was a frozen, soaked through grumpy mess. Raging as i was enjoying the spin up to that.
    Stats for what they are worth,
    1.15 easy as AP 184, CAD 83, 28.8kmph, AHR 144
    1st IM effort AP 213, CAD 78, 33kmph, AHR 150
    2nd IM effort AP 213, CAD 75, 32kmph, AHR 151 (This one was 40mins long as i was on Sportsman course and wanted to keep up the IM intensity.

Overall: Time: 2:39:15, Distance: 81.5kms, AP 196/NP201 , CAD 79, Avg speed 30.7kmph, AHR 147

Recovery swim with pull buoy 1.9km straight
    I am normally in the pool every weekend with the boys for a splash about so going to start adding a 4th swim and use it as a recovery swim with pull buoy. A long straight swim but keeping effort level low and making sure i maintain form throughout. Very pleasing to see a 33:55 when i finished for a 1.47 per 100 average. I done one similar a few weeks back and from memory it was somewhere around 36mins, something is happening with my swimming:D
    The last half hour was spent messing about with the boys, the eldest lad even jumped in for the odd length...great little swimmer (start them early)
    Time: 33:55, Distance: 1.9kms

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Nice work chief, but sh1t happens.

Pity about the ride - I broke my rear derailleur cycling home from work on Thursday evening & missed my session. Took 1h30m to get home, what normally takes 30m. Was fuming. Just in from 5h30m on MTB - seriously cold here too!

Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Time: 33:55, Distance: 1.9kms

:confused: Genuinely confused... why were you praising my times when you can do this at recovery pace? That's a really decent time for recovery- am I missing something (are times much faster with a pull bouy?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

From time to time everyone has one of those days JB, at least it finished well with what seems an enjoyable time in the pool with your lads and a nice recovery swim :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Christ, just seeing this now. Puncture fairy was out in force today. Bad day for biking.

snack_ie wrote: »
    Nice work chief, but sh1t happens.

Pity about the ride - I broke my rear derailleur cycling home from work on Thursday evening & missed my session. Took 1h30m to get home, what normally takes 30m. Was fuming. Just in from 5h30m on MTB - seriously cold here too!

Keep it up!
    Nice one on the 5.5hr session, that will stand to you on the Lanza bike course.
    :confused: Genuinely confused... why were you praising my times when you can do this at recovery pace? That's a really decent time for recovery- am I missing something (are times much faster with a pull bouy?).

Pull buoy makes a big difference to me any way. Swimming is clicking for me again with the consistency as near 10k done in the pool this week.
    From time to time everyone has one of those days JB, at least it finished well with what seems an enjoyable time in the pool with your lads and a nice recovery swim :)
    Yeah swim cheered me up not to mention the several beers I am about to treat myself to :)

Christ, just seeing this now. Puncture fairy was out in force today. Bad day for biking.

Yeah nightmare alright and it did not help with the rain and wind chill, having a few cold ones now though....tomorrow mornings long run with some 4.30/4.15km pace efforts should be fun:rolleyes:.
    At least i will have some new surroundings to run around as up in the MIL's house up North.

Sunday

31km Long Run with 4.30 & 4.15km efforts
    There was a bit of a knees up in the MIL's house up the North and i consumed several beers but kept some restraint otherwise i knew this would be a non runner, excuse the pun.
    The route i chose was the cycle pathways that follow the Bann River and on to the Newry canal. It was a lovely out and back route on a nice flat surface, cannot recommend it enough.
    The plan called for an hour easy then 40mins @ 4.30km pace followed by 20mins @ 4.15km pace and a few kms warm down. The first hour passed ok with a bellyfull of beer to get rid of. 1st hour came in at 4.43km avg pace for a nice low hr of 148. Then into the 40mins @ 4.30km pace and this felt relaxed and still came in at my easy zone, 4.28km avg pace for an ahr of 151
    I was starting to get very hungry at the start of the 20min effort and i was getting hunger pangs. The last 10mins of this really started to pinch but i knuckled down and got through it, 4.10km avg pace for an ahr of 152:confused: Looks like my hrm died and came back to life with my resting hr, what a load of sh1te garmin hrm's are.
    The warm down was liking running through concrete but happy to get this done, its been my longest run to date in this marathon campaign. Looking forward to the MIL's dinner as i am bloody starving...66.2kg when i weighed in after this run.
    Time: 2:22:28, Distance: 31.14kms, Pace: 4.35km, hr stats screwed up, TSS: 279

Depending on available time this evening i might try spin the legs out for an hour as they are pretty dead right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If I've done my km to mile conversions correctly, that was a great run! Which begs the question - what kind of beer were you drinking? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Pull buoy makes a big difference to me any way. Swimming is clicking for me again with the consistency as near 10k done in the pool this week.

Would agree definitely on this. One thing i have noticed while swimming with you is your legs dragging low in the water. Probably why you notice such a difference when you use the pull buoy.Get them hips up and your non pull buoy times will come way down.

Some great sessions you did this weekend. Sub 3 in Barcelona is on track no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

unluckly Saturday, hard to see the crap on the roads in this weather.

Sunday PM
    45min recovery turbo
    Just spun the legs out at recovery effort and they felt much better for it after todays long tun.
    Time: 45mins, Distance: 21.45kms, Power: 152watts, CAD: 91

Weekly numbers
    30th Jan - 05th Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|15:08|264.61kms
    Swimming|4:|03:29|9.6kms
    Cycling|4|6:31|174.25kms
    Running|5|5:08|80.76kms
    Strenth/Core|0|0:00|N/A

Really happy with the week and out of the three areas most happy with the swimming, consistency is key. Running front was also good with just over 80kms covered and two good sessions with the tempo and long run, the intervals were a bit laboured and a bit of HTFU was required to get through that one. Cycling was alright apart from the shortened long ride but sure what can you do.
    Need to really look after the legs over the next two weeks of this block and maintain some stretching/rolling and make sure to eat well as the workload will be heavy enough. Have to say loving my training right now and the sessions being set by coach. I can feel a huge difference in all three areas compared to being self coached last year.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If I've done my km to mile conversions correctly, that was a great run! Which begs the question - what kind of beer were you drinking? ;)

I was drinking some Tiger Beer, not really that exciting:) I would not be much of a beer connoisseur unlike our very own Krusty who would have a much wider range of beer selection:)
    Would agree definitely on this. One thing i have noticed while swimming with you is your legs dragging low in the water. Probably why you notice such a difference when you use the pull buoy.Get them hips up and your non pull buoy times will come way down.

Some great sessions you did this weekend. Sub 3 in Barcelona is on track no?
    Good to have feedback Bryan and your right my body position is poor with legs low making it harder on myself. Need to lift the hips and get a better kick going on as then i could really start motoring.

Re Barcelona i will be honest its still a huge ask and i was very dubious when the goal was set with the coach back in October. I am not under estimating the task at hand but i can only get more confident as eash tempo/interval/long run passes by. I have seen huge gains in my running this season and I would be fvkin delighted if i pull it off.
    BennyMul wrote: »
    unluckly Saturday, hard to see the crap on the roads in this weather.
    Sounds as if there was a load out with punctures the weekend, i passed 3 people today fixing punctures on my long run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The difference a day makes eh. Unlucky with the bike but thats some great running there today. Very solid week put down JB

• Advertisement

Monday
    2300mtr swim set
    Session called for WU of 200sw,200p,100k, then some drills with 4x50 as 25 fs, 25 sw, 4x 50 fist and 4x 50 r'n'r. Main set was 10x 100 alt between sw/p easy to steady and focusing on finishing the stroke all the way out. The steady sw coming in between 1:48 to 1:50 and pull coming in low 1:40's and 200 choice warm down done as 100bs and 100bc. Another good swim session.
    Time: 55mins, Distance: 2300mtrs

30min easy lunchtime run
    First few minutes were laboured but soon got into a good groove with 2 of the kms coming in 4:30 but decided to keep it really easy. I give up looking at the hrm these days, 170/180 first few minutes:rolleyes:
    Time:29.10, Distance:6.09kms, Pace:4:47km, HR:149

40min stretch & roll
    Given i had a short run i made sure to give the legs a good roll and plenty of stretches when i got back to the office for 20 minutes. I spent another 20mins tonight doing the same and i will try spend a bit more time in this area especially after each run. The legs are like a tradesman tools, if you don't look after them you are fecked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi JB,

RE the dragging legs: This used to be a problem of mine but I found out that it wasn't a weak kick holding me back or the cause of my dragging legs, rather poor body balance. Think of your body as a seesaw with your chest as the fulcrum. The more weight you can distribute to the front the higher your legs will raise. I found this
    for you to read it kinda explains it better. BTW I ain't saying to throw away the kick board :)

Tuesday
    Tempo Run - WU with builds, 55mins @ PMP & CD
    Well for the first time i headed out feeling confident about this one and in fact was looking forward to it. It was to be another extension of 5minutes from last weeks tempo run which went well at the time.
    There felt like a small bit of residual fatigue in the legs from Sundays long run but this dissapeared quickly after a few minutes into the tempo work.
    I have to say the 55mins felt comfortable and in fact the pace increased towards the end clocking close on 4min km pace. A good one!!

I need to be very careful whilst PMC only tells you 50% of the story i need to keep a close eye on things as my ATL, CTL & TSB are at an all time high so really need to listen to the body.
    Tempo effort came in at,
    Time:55mins,Distance:13.27km, Pace:4:08km, HR:161 - This is exactly where i want hr to be!!
    Time:1:13:23. Distance:17.11km, Pace:4:17km, HR:159, TSS:

Hour tonight on the bike to spin out the legs and i think i will take some time to stretch & roll the legs and get them prepared for a tough turbo tomorrow night.
    Hi JB,
    RE the dragging legs: This used to be a problem of mine but I found out that it wasn't a weak kick holding me back or the cause of my dragging legs, rather poor body balance. Think of your body as a seesaw with your chest as the fulcrum. The more weight you can distribute to the front the higher your legs will raise. I found this
    for you to read it kinda explains it better. BTW I ain't saying to throw away the kick board :)

Cheers El D i will take a look at this tonight as i know i need to work on that area as well:)

PM
    60min easy turbo
    Exactly as it says on the tin, lept it on the low end of easy at around 60% FTP and a decent cadence.
    Time: 60mins, Distance: 28.6kms, Power: AP173/NP175, CAD: 93

20min stretch & roll
    Legs feeling good after this and the easy spin.

Wednesday
    2800mtr swim set
    I had slept funny in the bed and woke up with a stiff shoulder/neck or perhaps its the fact i am showing my age, another year older today:rolleyes:
    Session was WU of 300sw,200p,100k, then into 10x50p (as 25 fist, 25p), 4x50 des 1-4 on 80 coming in on 58,55,50,48. Main set was 12x100 as 1,4,7,10 as p steady, 2,5,8,11 as B+B and 3,6,9,12 as sw easy.
    Times for these were p steady in between 1:42 to 1:46, B+B in 2:01 to 2:08 and sw easy 1:53 to 1:56. The B+B work was better than usual as i was focussing on pushing my chest in the water to lift the legs up. Liking the longer sessions as i feel i am getting more bang for buck for each visit to the pool.
    Time: 1:05, Distance: 2,800mtrs

70min turbo with efforts 5x5mins @ 90%/100%/110%/100%/90% FTP
    This was binned after 40mins and at the start of the 110% effort. Being honest i struggled even on the 90% and 100% effort tonight. My legs had been feeling fine but i simply had no juice or the normal snap in my legs to drive the pedals tonight.
    I tried all my HTFU tricks as i normally suffer well but they were not working tonight. I am sitting here pissed off i did not nail this session as on paper its a much easier session than the 2x20min @ 100%ftp from last week. Perhaps being over critical on myself but i hate giving up/binning sessions but just did not have it tonight.
    Time:39mins, Distance:22.4kms Power: AP201/NP210, HR:149, TSS:45

Time to have some cake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy birthday!!! And that's some nice work you're doing....especially at your age! ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy birthday!!! And that's some nice work you're doing....especially at your age! ;)

We will have less of that now, a good Irish saying just for you Dory. "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Thankfully Mrs JB is a few years younger;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Happy birthday young man. Hope you got more than cake. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Happy birthday young man. Hope you got more than cake. :)

A sign of the times when you get an IM entry as a birthday present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

A sign of the times when you get an IM entry as a birthday present.

Maybe she is telling you something :D

happy belated birthday.

Advertisement