Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks folks. Little lad had the op on Tuesday and is making a steady recovery. Just keeping an eye on things but big relief for the parents!! Awful few days!!

Time to log the limited training so far for this week. Thankfully its a recovery week as with everything thats going on and work going nuts again not a chance i could have worked a full week in.

Monday
    2200mtr swim set
    Main set was 10x50p as 25fist, 25 p and 6x100 alt p/sw steady
    Good session and steady 100sw efforts coming in on 1:47/8 and 100p 1:43/4.
    Time: 50mins, Distance: 2200mtrs

1hr easy bike
    Not done and could not fit it in.

Tuesday
    Rest day and thoughts were elsewhere all day. Ended up going for a business dinner which i could have done without but could not be avoided.

Wednesday
    Work ruled the roost with an early start and late finish so no chance to get to the pool.

Late 30min easy run
    Pretty standard run, legs feeling a little like bambi due to lack of run volume in the last 4 to 5 days.
    Time:34:46, Dist:7.27kms, Pace:4.46km, AHR: 154 which is top of my easy range for a very slow pace

Just an hour planned on the bike later which I will have to do out on the road with lights as have not even got around to sorting out the head unit replacement for the turbo.

I have somehow managed to keep track of the food intake but instead of a daily breakdown i will go to weekly. One thing is for sure i am finding it difficult to keep a deficit on non or easy training days as my base rate is around 1880kcals. I am used to consuming around 2500kcals on training days which would still leave me with a decent deficit.
    I think its one of the big learnings for me in terms of making sure the kcals consumed is appropriate for the daily training load or lack of as the case may be. Should still get to race weight for Barca.

Thursday
    60min spin with 5x15secs spurts
    Out on the the road for this with the lights on. HR showing slightly elevated at times and did not correspond to PE as it felt like it should, easy effort.
    15sec spurts came in at,
    532avg/626max
    560avg/650max
    586avg/678max
    564avg/656max
    561avg/671max
    Time:57:51, Dist:27.14kms, Power:AP196/NP216, Cad:78, HR:146, TSS:70

Friday
    AM - 2300mtr swim set
    I was due to meet a fellow boardsie for an early swim but due to a technical issue i went solo:P Just as well as i would have felt very inadequate in the water!!
    Set consisted of WU of 200sw,200p,100k, 4x50 des 1-4 on 75 coming in 59,57,55,51. Main set was 12x100 alt sw/p steady on 2:20 and focussing on finishing my stroke and keeping it nice and controlled throughout. Times for these were 1:45 to 1:48 on the sw and 1:40 to 1:44 on the p. Finished off with 4x50 fast coming in at 46,47,44,45 and 200 easy for warm down.
    Not noticing any more noticeable improvements and seem to be stuck around mid 1:40s.
    Time: 55mins, Distance: 2300mtrs

Lunchtime 45min run
    HR stats seem off so just ran by PE and kept it easy. Much better run than midweek. Sales conference on today and of course came back to the usual heckling in my running gear. A few could do with getting out and doing something themselves lazy fvkers:) I did however replenish carbs from KFC which was doing the rounds from the same hecklers for lunch, bold JB!!
    Time:41:21, Dist:8.92km, Pace:4:38km, TSS:75

Mojo and training routine returning to normal levels and little lad being let out today so all in all a super Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Not noticing any more noticeable improvements and seem to be stuck around mid 1:40s.

Could you imagine yourself saying that 12 months ago? That's a big improvement considering your IMUK time. Hold 38 of them in Roth and I'm sure you won't be complaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    Could you imagine yourself saying that 12 months ago? That's a big improvement considering your IMUK time. Hold 38 of them in Roth and I'm sure you won't be complaining :)

+1 at this rate I'll be in your sight leaving T1 in Barcelona, or perhaps you in mine :o

griffin100 wrote: »
    I know i just get impatient when improvements slow down:) Probably around 1:15 shape at the moment so it would be a 17min saving from IMUK. Not to be sniffed at i suppose and who knows what can happen on the day.
    +1 at this rate I'll be in your sight leaving T1 in Barcelona, or perhaps you in mine :o

Lol i would much rather catch you with a few k to go on the run and give you a big slap on the back:p Banter will be good in Barca and boards bragging rights for the winner even better.

Just booked for a week at the end of April in Turkey as i have a few things to sort with the place over there. Bike coming over with me and it will act as a solid training week. Plenty of hills close by to test the legs and plenty of OW swimming as well. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    32km Long Progression Run
    Plan:1hr easy, 40mins @ 4.30km & 20mins @ 4.15km pace followed by warm down
    Actual: 1hr around 4.45km pace easy, 45mins around 4.27km pace, 21mins around 4.11km pace and 20mins warm down around 4.40km pace.

This was not in the plan for this recovery week but with last weeks LSR missed we had to change things around a little. I was sharing some concerns with my coach that i felt due to missing one or two long runs i was concerned with not doing enough 30km+ runs with only 2 in the legs for this campaign. Well screw that concern because this went very well and i finished with plenty left in the tank:)
    This run was done on empty again. The great thing about these long progression runs is that you start of burning fat as fuel and as the pace ramps up towards the end of the run the body starts using the glycogen stores which i have no doubt is good for race simulation.
    Splits for the 4.30km section were, 4:27,4:27,4:28,4:27,4:30,4:27,4:28,4:27,4:24,4:28
    and for 4:15km section were, 4:08,4:12,4:09,4:14,4:12
    Time: 2:26:17, Dist: 32kms, Pace: 4:34km/7.21mile, HR: 154, easy zone will take that!!

Now Ireland win over Italy to set up a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Still up for the LSR next Sat?

Still up for the LSR next Sat?

Yeah Brian should be good for it, will pm you early next week. When you flying over, on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yeah Brian should be good for it, will pm you early next week. When you flying over, on Friday?

Friday night yeah. Getting into Dub fairly late so 11am start at the earliest would be best.

I can't see us not racing over the last few miles :p

Saturday PM
    45mins Core/Stretch/Roll
    Legs felt achy later in the evening almost like doms from the earlier long run so got the roller out and gave them a good going over. Threw in some planks, ab crunches, medicine ball and supermans.

Sunday
    2.5hr Easy Long Spin
    Just kept it easy, windy as hell out there today.
    Time:2:35, Dist:76.22kms, Power: AP 191/NP 193, Cad:83, HR:141, Speed: 29.4kmph, TSS:151, 1725KJ

1.5km recovery swim with pull buoy
    Down to the pool for a recovery swim. Cut it short as there was fvkin eejits drowining in the swim lane, stop starting mid way and generally acting the bollix in the fast lane. I let them knew what i thought of them when getting out and one of the aul lads was going to have a go....he was told where to stick it and quickly retreated back to his drowing exhibition.
    Time:27:44, Dist:1.5kms, Pace:1:50 per 100

• Advertisement

Weekly numbers
    20th Feb - 26th Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|10:13|157.56kms
    Swimming|3|2:13|6kms
    Cycling|2|3:33|103.36kms
    Running|3|3:42|48.2kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:45|N/A

Weekly food intake

Calories consumed: 14,981kcals, split as carbs 61%, protein 22.7%, fat 12% and fibre 4.3%
    Calories burned: 7337kcals, Calories burned vs consumed: 7644kcals/1092kcals daily average and base cals per day would be 1880kcals so a 5516kcal deficit for the week. I have dropped over a 1lb this week:)

Week started off poor with everything going on and a missed easy bike along with swim set but thankfully all worked out ok. Just as well it was just a recovery week. Ready to stick my teeth into next week.

Having a quick look at volume YTD compared to this time last year i am marginally behind on swim and ahead on run. Surprised to see such a large drop off on the cycling though. No doubt about it though i was a busy fool last year and the volume i have done this year so far has been of a much higher quality and structured better.
    Swim: 58,900mtrs -5% down
    Bike: 1221.97kms - 21% down
    Run: 483.77kms +2% up
    Swim: 62,100mtrs
    Bike: 1544.1kms
    Run: 472.6kms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ah yes, but your pace in all 3 is up this year ;)

Ah yes, but your pace in all 3 is up this year ;)

Very true Mike showing that the quality work is paying off rather than quantity.
    Swim is around 26secs per km quicker than what i would have raced/paced in UKIM so roughly an 18% improvement.
    Bike is hard to gauge as i have no power comparison from last year although i do feel stronger on the bike and some of the turbo sets earlier in the year had me working much harder than ever before.
    Run for me has also seen massive improvements. Taking recent long run pace around 4:35km compared to last year around 5.15km that represents 40secs per km quicker or 13% improvement.

I will gladly take reduced volume this year with quality work for those reults:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Weekly numbers
    20th Feb - 26th Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|10:13|157.56kms
    Swimming|3|2:13|6kms
    Cycling|2|3:33|103.36kms
    Running|3|3:42|48.2kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:45|N/A

Weekly food intake

Calories consumed: 14,981kcals, split as carbs 61%, protein 22.7%, fat 12% and fibre 4.3%
    Calories burned: 7337kcals, Calories burned vs consumed: 7644kcals/1092kcals daily average and base cals per day would be 1880kcals so a 5516kcal deficit for the week. I have dropped over a 1lb this week:)

Week started off poor with everything going on and a missed easy bike along with swim set but thankfully all worked out ok. Just as well it was just a recovery week. Ready to stick my teeth into next week.

Having a quick look at volume YTD compared to this time last year i am marginally behind on swim and ahead on run. Surprised to see such a large drop off on the cycling though. No doubt about it though i was a busy fool last year and the volume i have done this year so far has been of a much higher quality and structured better.

When you sat down to define your goals for the year did any of your goals resemble:

Swim 70km in the year
    Ride 1600km in the year
    Run 600km in the year?

Was volume of training a goal or performance in events?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

tunney wrote: »
    Swim 70km in the year
    Ride 1600km in the year
    Run 600km in the year?

Nice question by coach there ;)

When you sat down to define your goals for the year did any of your goals resemble:

Swim 70km in the year
    Ride 1600km in the year
    Run 600km in the year?

All about the A races and performance in events. Barca and Roth with the long term goal Kona. Training and quality of it rather than volume alone is what will get me there.
    As i said in an earlier post, busy fool last year and a more structured quality driven approach this year. Improvements show that the current approach works. Moral of the story "train smart".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Swim 70km in the year
    Ride 1600km in the year
    Run 600km in the year?

All about the A races and performance in events. Barca and Roth with the long term goal Kona. Training and quality of it rather than volume alone is what will get me there.
    As i said in an earlier post, busy fool last year and a more structured quality driven approach this year. Improvements show that the current approach works. Moral of the story "train smart".
    i would say a lot less junk miles this year...but just curious about one thing...if you looked just at your numbers are u over training under training or just right for your goals? are u doing more or less than prescribed? is recovery being neglected in any way?... All important. were i am coming from Imho doing a 1500k swim after a 32k run....not sure i see how that helps recovery. just my opinion as i said before u putting in great work.

i would say a lot less junk miles this year
    Agreed
    ...but just curious about one thing...if you looked just at your numbers are u over training under training or just right for your goals? are u doing more or less than prescribed?
    Training load is just about right i would say. We had to pull back a small bit on progressing the bike work with the tough midweek turbos until we get through the marathon as the cumilative load on the body would have been too much. Especially with marathon training on board with midweek tempo and interval runs, its all about the marathon right now so thats the focus.
    Doing whats prescribed bar one or two at most active recovery sessions if the time allows for it.
    is recovery being neglected in any way?... All important. were i am coming from Imho doing a 1500k swim after a 32k run....not sure i see how that helps recovery. just my opinion as i said before u putting in great work.
    Recovery is very important and i take it seriously were in the past not so much. I would have been a fvker in the past for not treating recovery like it should be and sometimes i needed to save myself from myself:) Not an issue any more though and i no longer see recovery weeks as an interruption to training:rolleyes: I am still trying to incoporate a 2nd core session in a week but tbh i find them boring as hell.
    Re swim it was done a while after the very easy bike and not run. I do take your point but sometimes i find the active recovery sessions bring me back around more than nothing at all. The fact i am doing these with pull buoy allow me to concentrate on technique without taking too much out of the body.

Monday
    2300mtr swim set
    AM swim opportunity missed with little one waking early and lunchtime option missed due to work so this was straight after work and it was full lane format when i arrived. Jumped into a swim lane with one of the lifegaurds who is great to watch in terms of her nice smooth technique and it helps she was nice to look at also ;). Set was usual WU, 10x50 as 25fist/25sw with main set 8x100steady alt sw/p.
    Felt good and strong in the water and felt like my technique was solid so a little surprised to see the times a little slower than usual as it felt much faster. 100s were sw in 1:50/1 and p in 1:47/8ish, times were very consistent. Binned the fast 50s midway through the third as serious cramp in base of foot which i eased out a little in the warm down. Times for logged 50s were 47,47. BS and BC to warm down.
    Time: 55mins, Dist: 2,300mtrs

30min very easy torchlit run
    This was super easy, in fact it was recovery hr in z1. Legs felt like i just had a massage and barely broke a sweat with keeping it very easy. I do find it difficult keeping the pace this slow but easy done easy and hard done hard is the saying and i had a tempo planned for the day after.
    A little longer than planned but no harm!!
    Time:43:25, Dist:8.22km, Pace:5.16km, AHR:141, TSS:60

Tuesday
    Tempo Run - 60mins @ PMP
    Tempo effort felt good, came in on 4.08 pace for the 60mins for an AHR of 160 which is bang on. Suffered with a stitch in the last few minutes of the tempo effort but overall a satisfying run and i think that very easy run last night set me up for this. Slightly concerning on the stitch mind you as it is happens a little too much for my liking and seemingly only on faster runs:confused:
    Tempo effort: 60mins,14.49kms,160ahr
    Time:1:18:44, Dist:18.42kms, Pace:4.16kms, AHR:160, TSS:184

Tempted to do a short recovery run tonight as calfs are a little tight but will wait and see.

Tuesday PM
    Short recovery run
    Super easy run and it really helped loosen out the legs from the earlier tempo run.
    Time:27:01, Dist:5.14kms, Pace:5.15km, HR:137, TSS:39

Wednesday
    Missed swim so switched session to Thursday

1hr easy spin
    Very good spin, verging into steady effort on occasions but pulled it back to easy efforts. Legs felt super strong and decent power numbers against PE for what felt like an easy spin.
    Time:57:33, Dist:28.61kms, Pace:29.8kmph, Power:AP206/NP208, Cad:84, HR:145, TSS:64

Core Work/Stretch/Roll
    45mins

Thursday
    2400mtr swim set
    Wednesday missed session!! Set was usual wu then into some sculling work with the main set of 10x100 alt pt paddles and sw. 100s were coming in 2.03-7 for pt paddles and 1.44-49 for sw.
    Time:55mins, Dist:2400mtrs

Interval session - 8x1.5kms with 1.45 recoveries
    I found this session very tough and had to take a swig of HTFU a couple of times just telling myself one more just one more. Not so good when doing this after the first one:rolleyes:. I actually felt stronger as they went on funnily enough and lifted the pace for the last one. I actually passed a school on each of the reps and the kids were offering great encouragement as i passed which in some way helped. HR higher than normal.
    Splits
    Interval|Time|Pace km|Pace mile|AHR|
    1|6:14|4.10|6.42|161
    2|6:22|4.15|6.50|165
    3|6:15|4.10|6.43|162
    4|6:20|4.14|6.48|166
    5|6:17|4.12|6.45|163
    6|6:21|4.14|6.49|164
    7|6:17|4.12|6.45|160
    8|6:08|4.06|6.35|167

Time: 1:27:43, Dist:19.22kms, Pace:4.33km, HR:159, TSS:171

• Advertisement

contd...
    Friday
    2600mtr swim set
    Main set was 4x(200p,100sw,2x50fast). Not sure of exact times on these as left stopwatch in other gym bag and pool clock not working. Focussed on keeping a high elbow on the pull under the water and use more of my forearm for forward propulsion. Felt like i was getting more out of each stroke. I noticed i am slapping the water and dropping the hand (ooh matron:)) which effectively is putting the brakes on.
    Time:60mins, Dist:2600mtrs

Late night 1hr easy spin
    Headed out at 10, had a run in with a stubborn fox and near crashed as a result but enjoyed the spin. For some reason its very soothing being out at nightime on the bike. I noticed garmin connect is measuring my cadence lower than the edge500 display and training peaks download, not much difference but actual cadence was 90 and not 88.
    Time:1:14:13, Dist:33.73km, Power:AP180/NP182, Cad:90, HR:138, TSS:64

Saturday
    32km Progression Long Run
    Headed down to the Phoenix Park to meet up with Briandrunner and TheRoadRunner who joined us in the second loop. The plan was to start off easy on the first loop of 10k pick up the pace for the second loop and go to marathon pace for the last loop with a 2km easy warm down.
    Straight off at the easy pace and i was not feeling great. Stomach problems returning and i hope its not a repeat of last years issues as it felt similar re cramping etc. I eventually got into my stride from about 8k up to about 18k and then i really started feeling dodgy with the gingerbread man knocking on the door. Launched into the MP work and i was just finding it too tough, was going to stop after 1k of it but the lads kept me at it. Eventually i had to pull the plug on the MP stuff after 5k and the gingerbread man won over. I let the guys go on up ahead whilst i had a pitstsop:rolleyes:. Kept them in my sights but slowed down to 4.30/4.40pace. Cramps and stitches had me in bits, i passed the car at 30km and wanted to stop but i did not allow myself and ran the extra 2k.
    Not the best way to finish off the last LSR for Barca but something was not right with me today. Same run last week with a quicker pace was a full hr zone lower and my hr was elevated throughout the run. I was wasted after it, good to have company on the run and both lads were running well. Wind down chesterfield was a mare.
    Taper time!!
    Time:2:27:09, Dist:32km, Pace:4:36km, HR:158, TSS:287

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Enjoy the taper, although I suspect the JB marathon taper involves monster bike and swim sessions...

Izoard wrote: »
    Enjoy the taper, although I suspect the JB marathon taper involves monster bike and swim sessions...

No no sensible approach to taper this time around:)

Saturday PM
    20mins - Roll and Stretch

Sunday
    2.5hr Long Bike
    Did not get out until late afternoon as i was being the model husband, breakfast in bed for missus and doing all those ****ty diy jobs i had being putting off for a good while. Followed Michelle and kids down to the mothers for dinner, what a feed after a long bike.
    I was unsure how this would go after yesterdays sh1t session and had contemplated not cycling at all. It actually turned into a great spin and i had to keep the reigns on at times as i was drifting into 220/230watt territory.
    I was out on the tt with full race setup as it was a nice day. I had some minor adjsutments to make to the drops and i moved them apart slighty as i am broad enough in the shoulders. It made the difference and i think i have finally found the perfect position for me. Pace was decent all the way down as it was a side wind for most, holding decent pace for most of the way down and averaging 34/35kmph for 190watts although pace dropped towards the end as i turned into the wind. Note to self do not cycle down through Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton and Howth in the afternoons as i was getting stopped at all the lights and held up by cars.
    I reckon i will not need 210watts on good roads in Roth to hold 36kmph and more likely 195watts or therabouts.
    Time:2:23:33, Dist:79.59kms, Power:AP193/NP195, Cad:83, Speed:33.3kmph, HR:142, TSS:143, KJ:1635

PM - Short recovery run
    Legs felt like they needed a short recovery run to loosen them out, this along with 20mins rolling when i got back have them feeling good.
    Time:27:25, Dist:6.96kms, Pace:5:23, HR:145 (more like high 130s due to spikes on first third of run)

Weekly numbers
    27th Feb - 04th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|16|16:11|239.21kms
    Swimming|3|2:50|7.3kms
    Cycling|3|4:35|141.94kms
    Running|6|7:01|89.97kms
    Strenth/Core|4|1:45|N/A

So a big old week and in fact i think the biggest ever running week for me ever just shy of 90kms. Overall happy with the week but just unfortunate the long run went the way it went, thankfully no stomach issues on todays bike or recovery run. All the hard work done now and the taper is just putting the icing on the cake.
    I know i will need the perfect race for Barca to go sub 3 as its right on the limit of my ability but i am not going to start doubting myself now. I know i could go out right now and run a sub 3:05 but it does not have the same ring to it. The next 3 weeks will all be about keeping well, good sleeps, eat well and start visualising the perfect race. I will have a number of things to call upon on the day when it gets mentally challenging and they will be the same things i used when i was in pure agony with 8km to go in UKIM but kept it going. 21 days to lift off, bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Get out that door and put 30m in to the gate and back ;-) Shame to stop at 89.97!! :)

Bambaata wrote: »
    Get out that door and put 30m in to the gate and back ;-) Shame to stop at 89.97!! :)

If only i had of known i could have ran around the driveway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Bambaata wrote: »

+1 could be the difference of 2.59.59 and 3.00.00 :)

+1 could be the difference of 2.59.59 and 3.00.00 :)

Hopefully not:)

High
    Monday
    1500mtr swim set
    This should have been a poor session as it was a long day as i had meetings down in Cork and i was up at the crack of dawn and did not get home from work until late. Hit the pool tonight and the tri club were working away but i stuck to my own prescribed set. I had a bit of a eureka moment on the warm up. I was catching and pulling the water more with the forearm and i was flying it. I also noticed that by doing this and not pushing down on the water that all of a sudden i was not working as hard to keep the back end and legs up. This probably explains it better. http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/proper-pull-in-swim-stroke/
    Main set was 10x50p as 25fist/25p and i had 4x50s fast which i ended up hitting two pbs in, first was a pb of 39secs, 42, 43 and i blasted the last one in 38secs. I was using the guys in the fast plan who were doing there own fast stuff to race against. Everything just seemed to gel, if i felt like this in every swim session i would be laughing. I have been watching loads of videos in the last few weeks and i am working on every aspect to look for those few more secs of improvement.
    Time: 27mins, Distance:1500mtrs

Low
    Bloody stomach cramps back again today. I am walking around like a pregnant man as my stomach is badly bloated. I was reading back through the log last year and i remember a few weeks out from UKIM i had to pull out of a pacing gig in Enniscorthy half marathon and i was out for a week and a bit. Hopefully not the same again but it has thast similar feeling to it. I know back then they could find nothing wrong with me but something is causing these flare ups i must be allergic to something.
    I suffer mostly with the cramps on the runs (excuse the pun) so i will see how tomorrows scheduled run goes. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hope it clears up jackyback...sounds suspiciously like some undocumented dodgy pints to me :)

Advertisement