Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

hope it clears up jackyback...sounds suspiciously like some undocumented dodgy pints to me :)

If only:rolleyes: good to see you are back training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4x50s fast which i ended up hitting two pbs in, first was a pb of 39secs, 42, 43 and i blasted the last one in 38secs

Sweet! Something must have worked well, thats a decent improvement. Even steven's on the hating stakes:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Great news on the swimming front JB! Pulling with your forearm is far more effective than your hand and the fist drills are great for practicing that. Ever swam in very shallow water? Or the end of a sea swim leg? Well if so picture that when swiming and try not scrape the sea bed with your hand. This helped me to keep a high elbow and to push the water back, not down.

About the stomach problems, in my experience of illness/injury I have found it best to seek out the best physio/doc (in relation to sport) and just get it seen to asap, no wasting time, before you know it a few weeks may pass by.

Tuesday
    45min easy spin
    Decent numbers, no hrm but kept most of it easy but drifted into steady on occasion. Wind was mental, there is a good section of road when i had a tailwind/crosswind and i was tootling along at 50-55kmph when I near came a cropper when a nasty crosswind near took me out of it. Did not enjoy the spin as i was struggling to keep it upright with the zipps on. I am noticing i am transfering the power better now on the TT rig than the road bike which was not the case before.
    Time:43:13, Dist:21.81kms, Power:AP209/NP217, Cad:86, TSS:52

45min run, 15easy/20MP/10easy
    Small niggle in left calf but otherwise a good run and stomach issues stayed away. MP section was at 4:09pace.
    Time:45:10, Dist:10.14kms, Pace:4:27km, HR:155, TSS:91

60min sports massage
    Legs felt very good after this and no major issues found apart from some knots in the the right hammer. Really got in and worked it out.

Wednesday
    2400mtr swim set
    Usual wu and into 4x50x2 front and mid scull. Then 4x50fist and into the main set of 4x200 alt sw/p +20s with sw as easy and p as steady effort before launching into 4x50 fast on 75. Warm down of 100k,100sw,100p.
    Sluggish enough session compared to Mondays. Sculling left my arms tired and the 200s a bit laboured. 200sw easy in on 3:58 and 4:01 and 200p steady in on 3:48 and 3:49. I was cooked after 3 of the fast 50s and died on the 4th. 46,45,45,50. Goes to show you Monday you can feel great in the water and Wednesday not so good. It feels so awkward pulling with the forearm, will take a while until it feels natural.
    Time: 60mins, Dist:2400mtrs

30min easy run with 5x20secs fast
    5x20secs fast were 3:44,3:33,3:40,3:41,3:36. Legs felt very good after last nights sports massage
    Time:32:02, Dist:7.03kms, Pace: 4:33km, HR:153, TSS:64
    Sweet! Something must have worked well, thats a decent improvement. Even steven's on the hating stakes:p
    LOL, yeah just one of those sessions when everthying clicked. See above swim session, normal service resumed.
    Great news on the swimming front JB! Pulling with your forearm is far more effective than your hand and the fist drills are great for practicing that. Ever swam in very shallow water? Or the end of a sea swim leg? Well if so picture that when swiming and try not scrape the sea bed with your hand. This helped me to keep a high elbow and to push the water back, not down.
    About the stomach problems, in my experience of illness/injury I have found it best to seek out the best physio/doc (in relation to sport) and just get it seen to asap, no wasting time, before you know it a few weeks may pass by.

Yeah i just need to keep working on the forearm pull until it feels natural as its a little forced right now. Its like you work on fixing one thing and something else crops up :)
    Stomach issues were looked at last year with full bloods and samples done with no physical issues found. Has to be an allergy thing, thankfully this bout does not seem as bad as previous ones. Frustrating when you cannot pinpoint it.
    Rasmus Henning was plagued with nutrition and cramp issues over the last 18months but seems to have come out the other end of it and his win at Abu Dhabi at the weekend shows it!!

Thursday
    Lunchtime Run - 50mins
    The session called for 20 easy running, 5min builds and into 20mins of MP work and warm down. Very sloppy run and the mp effort of 20 minutes was very tough as the wind was unreal. I barely clung onto 4.15 pace at the end of it and hr was mid 160s. Leg turnover was very lazy and slow. All i was thinking during the 20 minutes was i have to do this for 179 minutes:rolleyes: cannot let doubts start creeping in!!
    Time:50:13, Dist:10.91kms, Pace:4:36km, HR:155, TSS:98

45min - easy bike
    Out with a friend after work. Wind out again although enjoyable ride. I was easily pushing up to 250-300watts as and when i wanted to so my power ranges are increasing but focussed on keeping the effort level easy.
    Feeling very comfy and snug on the tt bike lately and power numbers are creeping up even though i am only doing easy sessions until after the marathon.
    Time:42:58, Dist:21.87kms, Power:AP206/NP216, Cad:84, Speed: 30.5kmph, TSS:52, KJ:528

Out last night for an enyjoyable dinner and cinema with Mrs JB, shrimp starters and venison main was to die for and Project X was pretty meh!!

• Advertisement

Friday
    Lunchtime Swim - 2800mtrs
    Tough enough looking session on paper and i know i had a good workout at the end of it. The lanes at lunchtime can be hit and miss at times but we had a good working lane and i was joined by Bryangiggsy who was flying along getting his session in.
    Session wu was 300sw,200p,100k and 4x50des in 55,53,52,49. Main set was an eye opening 8x200B+B. I struggled to get my mojo going in the first 3 and felt i was tensing up trying to keep the legs up and technique went to pot. I relaxed more on the last 5 and it helped. I was hitting around 4:10/5 on these. 4x50 fast all around 47 apart from the last one when i fell apart with 10mtrs to go:rolleyes:Easy warm down of 200 bc/bs. Good session
    Time: 70mins, Dist:2800mtrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Friday
    Lunchtime Swim - 2800mtrs
    Tough enough looking session on paper and i know i had a good workout at the end of it. The lanes at lunchtime can be hit and miss at times but we had a good working lane and i was joined by Bryangiggsy who was flying along getting his session in.
    Session wu was 300sw,200p,100k and 4x50des in 55,53,52,49. Main set was an eye opening 8x200B+B. I struggled to get my mojo going in the first 3 and felt i was tensing up trying to keep the legs up and technique went to pot. I relaxed more on the last 5 and it helped. I was hitting around 4:10/5 on these. 4x50 fast all around 47 apart from the last one when i fell apart with 10mtrs to go:rolleyes:Easy warm down of 200 bc/bs. Good session
    Time: 70mins, Dist:2800mtrs

It's like reading one of my dads text messages, I understand most of it but some bits leave me puzzled :D

So Warm-up was 300 swim, 200 pull, 100 kick
    Then 4 x 50 descending. Then 8 x 200 B+B (haven't the foggiest what that means!) 4 x 50 fast and then a cool down of 200 back/breast.
    that right?

Good session though :)

It's like reading one of my dads text messages, I understand most of it but some bits leave me puzzled :D

So Warm-up was 300 swim, 200 pull, 100 kick
    Then 4 x 50 descending. Then 8 x 200 B+B (haven't the foggiest what that means!) 4 x 50 fast and then a cool down of 200 back/breast.
    that right?

Good session though :)

Spot on:) B+B is band & buoy. Pull buoy between the legs and old tyre tube tied around the ankles. Good fun try it.

Saturday
    2.5hr easy spin
    Out with a guy i am helping with preparation for UKIM. Really pleasing to see the progression he is making and he is hitting each session i set with gusto. It's really making me think seriously of getting into coaching properly and looking to get the required qualifications but time restraints will be the problem. At this rate it looks as if he will trump my time from last year in UKIM:rolleyes:
    This was done on empty again and in fact i am running a larger than normal deficit since Friday and i am finding it tough with hunger pangs etc and struggled a bit today as a result. The last few lbs to racing weight are being stubborn to shift so any advice welcome.
    Time:2:25, Dist:71.31kms, Power:AP 179 / NP 192, Cad:85, HR:145, Speed:29.4kmph, TSS:141, KJ:1545

1km recovery swim
    Just a quick 1k with buoy in between splashing about with the kids. Kept form good throughout and focussed on the forearm catch and pull.
    Time:18:41, Dist:1km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Saturday
    2.5hr easy spinThe last few lbs to racing weight are being stubborn to shift so any advice welcome.

Take a week off. I had hit a plateau a couple of weeks back, I took a week off and am back dropping weight now. Also, pangs are not a good thing IMO... you should not starve yourself, you won't drop any weight that way.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    1.5hr run as 1hr easy & finish with 30mins @MP
    Did not get out until late evening as missus was away since midday yesterday and i was trying to keep the little nippers out of trouble. Great run and felt like i was floating along, most of the easy kms came in around 4:3x and i had a bounce in my step and running efficently. That feeling you get of fresh legs during the taper is starting to peek through. I pushed the 7kms at the end of the run past MP effort and they came in at 4.12, 4.07, 4.07, 4.04, 4.10, 4.06, 4.08. Hr on these was around 158 which is very good. Actually passed halfway in sub 3.10 pace. Confirms that last weeks long run was certainly a blip compared to this one.
    Time:1:35:23, Dist:21.27kms, Pace:4.29km, Hr:153

I was trying to tire the kids out and even had them out at the Sportsman Duathlon this morning. Congrats to Ed/Bambaata who had a great race and finished only 2nd to BMC, you think he could have taken the day off after Abu Dubai and let my prediction of 1st come through:p Great finish to boot as Ed sprinted to keep 3rd off his shoulder:) Now take that confidence into Mallorca and smash it!!
    I have to say it was hard being a spectator today as i so wanted to be out racing today not long to go for me now only 2 weeks but i am eager to get out of the traps.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Take a week off. I had hit a plateau a couple of weeks back, I took a week off and am back dropping weight now. Also, pangs are not a good thing IMO... you should not starve yourself, you won't drop any weight that way.
    I have tried the week off and whilst it usually works when i have a bit to shift its does not work for me when down to the last few lbs. I am at 66.5kg and have been floating around at that for the last few weeks. Might go get BF measured tomorrow as maybe i have a higher muscle mass than when i hit 65kg last year. I know my quads and calfs are much bigger than last year and the last thing i want to do by dropping the weight is loosing muscle!
    Working off a 1000cals per day the last 3 days has not been fun considering i burnt more whilst training.

Sunday
    1.5hr run as 1hr easy & finish with 30mins @MP
    Did not get out until late evening as missus was away since midday yesterday and i was trying to keep the little nippers out of trouble. Great run and felt like i was floating along, most of the easy kms came in around 4:3x and i had a bounce in my step and running efficently. That feeling you get of fresh legs during the taper is starting to peek through. I pushed the 7kms at the end of the run past MP effort and they came in at 4.12, 4.07, 4.07, 4.04, 4.10, 4.06, 4.08. Hr on these was around 158 which is very good. Actually passed halfway in sub 3.10 pace. Confirms that last weeks long run was certainly a blip compared to this one.
    Time:1:35:23, Dist:21.27kms, Pace:4.29km, Hr:153

I was trying to tire the kids out and even had them out at the Sportsman Duathlon this morning. Congrats to Ed/Bambaata who had a great race and finished only 2nd to BMC, you think he could have taken the day off after Abu Dubai and let my prediction of 1st come through:p Great finish to boot as Ed sprinted to keep 3rd off his shoulder:) Now take that confidence into Mallorca and smash it!!
    I have to say it was hard being a spectator today as i so wanted to be out racing today not long to go for me now only 2 weeks but i am eager to get out of the traps.
    I have tried the week off and whilst it usually works when i have a bit to shift its does not work for me when down to the last few lbs. I am at 66.5kg and have been floating around at that for the last few weeks. Might go get BF measured tomorrow as maybe i have a higher muscle mass than when i hit 65kg last year. I know my quads and calfs are much bigger than last year and the last thing i want to do by dropping the weight is loosing muscle!
    Working off a 1000cals per day the last 3 days has not been fun considering i burnt more whilst training.

You have only ate 1000kcal for the last three days?

No not that crazy:rolleyes:, 3000/1000kcal per day and dropping as much carbs as possible. Base rate is 1880kcals.

No not that crazy:rolleyes:, 3000/1000kcal per day and dropping as much carbs as possible. Base rate is 1880kcals.

Sorry, that's what I meant.. You have been eatting 1000kcal/day for the last 3 days? If so, that is madness. You will never lose weight like that, your body will end up in starvation mode and if anything you will drop muscle.

Taper week 1
    Weekly numbers
    05th Mar - 11th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|11:40|175.24kms
    Swimming|4|2:56|7.7kms
    Cycling|3|4:01|118.19kms
    Running|4|3:43|49.35kms
    Strenth/Core|1|1:00|N/A

Through the first taper week and signs that the drop in workload is making me feel fresher and stronger. Standout session for the week was yesterdays run which i was very pleased with. Graphs below (its been a while:rolleyes:) showing progress on long run relative to speed/hr and long bike both norm power/hr and watts per kg since i started Winters training back in October....seems so long ago now.

@Mloc - You are right and i do know this so you think i would have some cop on:o. I will find out what the current stats are at today and if the BF is in single digit figures then i will just roll with it for my first A race. If not i will need to go back to the drawing board, its probably to late anyway to start adjusting things to have any impact with the race on in 13 days and in fact any changes would impact my performance.

Monday
    2700mtr swim set
    Felt lazy and tired in the pool today and the arms were heavy. WU was 200sw, 200p, 2x100k with fins, then 4x50 pt paddles. Main set was 4x(100sw easy, 200p steady, 50k, 25fist/25sw) and 300 warm down as 100bc and 200p. Forgettable session.
    Time: 60mins, Dist: 2.7kms

Whilst at the pool I popped up to the gym to get BF% measured, 9.1% and 66.3kg, it will do for Barca but more work required for Roth, god forbid the beer/wine will need to be knocked on the head at some point for that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

9.1%!! Jaysus id be delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

And I thought I was a sucker for the tracking/details.
    I haven't moved into dividing speed by hr!
    Good progress by the looks of things.

Do you mind me asking why you are obsessed with weight/bf?

I must be similar build to you - similar figures (weight anyway :) ) and I'm 5ft 8.5, yes shorties like me count the .5 :D
    Whilst I do try to improve body fat, I don't focus on it and I can't imagine only eating 1,000 calories per day!
    That's gotta be detrimental to recovery, training and health.
    I assume you're similar height or even taller and if so nothing to worry about?
    I actually dropped weight recently and started getting concerned it might be muscle or strength!! Thankfully not but shows my different focus?

Yes racing weight is obviously important to you but be careful not to jeopardise your health has to be more important I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,275 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Readign this volume still makes me sick.
    Great job.

Finally gettign a HRM, have a suggestion thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77566054#post77566054

anything to add?

Bambaata wrote: »
    9.1%!! Jaysus id be delighted with that.
    You did not look to be carrying much excess yourself at the Sportsman.
    Fazz wrote: »
    And I thought I was a sucker for the tracking/details.
    I haven't moved into dividing speed by hr!
    Good progress by the looks of things.
    Yeah i am a stats nerd. I actually think it acts as a good indicator on the long bike and run to see what progress is being made. As you would expect with a run focus and A goal marathon coming up there is decent improvements on the run. The bike has levelled off slightly the last few weeks as the cumilative fatigue of doing tough bike sessions whilst hammering out the run sessions would have taken its toll. The stats are not everything though as terrain and weather will play a part on both but i also track normalized pace and power by hr:rolleyes:
    Do you mind me asking why you are obsessed with weight/bf?
    Ha i did not notice i was until i read that and looked back over the last while, it does come across a bit lot obsessive:) I suppose heading into an A race in two weeks i want to ensure i am in the best shape possible to give myself the best chance of a performance i can be happy with. It is a balancing act and perhaps i need to stop being as obsessive with the weight/bf and just focus on eating well, tapering well, staying healthy and resting up.
    I must be similar build to you - similar figures (weight anyway :) ) and I'm 5ft 8.5, yes shorties like me count the .5 :D
    Whilst I do try to improve body fat, I don't focus on it and I can't imagine only eating 1,000 calories per day!
    That's gotta be detrimental to recovery, training and health.
    I assume you're similar height or even taller and if so nothing to worry about?
    I actually dropped weight recently and started getting concerned it might be muscle or strength!! Thankfully not but shows my different focus?

5ft 7.5 you got to fight for those half inches when you are vertically challenged:pac:. I may not have been clear in previous posts but the 1000kcals was something i was trialing for a few days (read as 4) to see what impact if any it had only shifting the last stubborn 1kg. I have been operating off much more up to the taper (2000+ during heavy blocks of training) otherwise i would have left myself goosed for sessions and risk injury, getting sick and loosing lean muscle.
    Yes racing weight is obviously important to you but be careful not to jeopardise your health has to be more important I say.
    Your right, good post Fazz!!
    Mellor wrote: »
    Readign this volume still makes me sick.
    Great job.
    Finally gettign a HRM, have a suggestion thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77566054#post77566054
    anything to add?
    Long time Mellor, you cannot go wrong with a polar HRM although if you are getting serious into the running the garmin is handy for tracking/stats etc. Left a comment in the thread.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    50min run with MP thrown in
    Plan called for 15min easy, 15min @ MP, 10min @ MP -10secs and 10min easy. I missed my window at lunchtime to get out so went down to the running club as it has been far too long since i last got out with them and wanted to catch up with a few who are heading over to Barca.
    I tried to stick to plan as much as possible but ended running slightly faster than expected and longer but i was moving well and lead the group out who were doing some tempo miles.
    Guys who had the edge on me last year were holding onto my coatails and there was plenty of banter along the way. Another very strong run and the legs are feeling great right now.
    Actual
    20mins @ 4.40km pace, 32:30 @ 4.04km pace and warm down 5mins @ 4.46km pace.

Time:57:22, Dist:13:26kms, Pace: 4:20km, HR:162, TSS:124

I was due to get out for a 45min spin but the day got away from me, will get one in tomorrow along with a swim before i head to the UK as not back until Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

JB what are you aiming for 2:59:59 or are you taking no chances and gunning for a 2:57/8?

JB what are you aiming for 2:59:59 or are you taking no chances and gunning for a 2:57/8?

Looking at heading out at 4:13pace for a 2:58, going out at 4:15 for a 2:59:59 is just cutting things way too fine.
    I will see where 4:13s take me....hopefully to the finish line. I don't care as long as the first digit is a 2:xx:xx when i cross the finish line:)

Wednesday
    Swim - 1.5km swim set
    I was a sleepy wreck this morning as two of the kids did not settle through the night. I thought it was best to turn of Team Umizoomi on the TV and get swimming.
    Session was short enough at 1500mtrs and the main work consisted of
    4x50 des 1-4 on 75 coming in at 61,55,53,49
    2x200 fsat on 5:00 coming in at 3:32 and 3:31
    4x100 fast on 2:20 coming in at 142, 1:43,1:44,1:42
    4x50 fast on 70 coming in at 46,44,46,46
    Time: 30mins, Dist:1.5km

45min easy spin
    First 10mins my legs were like hollow tree trunks and i was constantly yawning on the bike, running theme here!! Finally got into it by the end though.
    Time:49:48, Dist:24.65kms, Power:AP173/NP181, Cad:86, TSS:42

Heading to the UK shortly for another work trip,
    Negatitives - I could do without going as busy enough
    Positives - I should have a good nights sleep without being walloped in the head by a Peppa pig teddy or a spongebob squarepants.

Thursday
    Rest day as away with work. I was going to go for an easy run but did not get home until after 9pm.

Friday
    Swim Set - 2500mtr
    Decent session even though i was tired and picked up sniffles on my travels, darn airplanes and air conditioned offices. Set was usual warm up with main set of 6x200 B+B work, actually like doing these now.
    Time:1:00, Dist:2500mtrs

50min Run with MP & 10k efforts
    Tired and lazy start to the run but finally got into it. I was like a bear heading out at lunchtime due to work crap and whilst i normally clear the head on the run this did not do the job today. I had 15mins of MP work which felt handy and the 10k efforts was going nicely at 3:50km pace until i stitched up badly (again) so jogged the rest of the way back to work.
    Time:54:59, Dist:12.15kms, Pace:4:31km, HR:155, TSS:110

Saturday
    2hr long bike
    I twisted my knee slightly last night carrying the 5yr old up to bed, he is built like a prop forward:rolleyes: Felt a slight discomfort in the left knee during the spin but it is more of an annoyance niggle rather than sore. Rolled it a bit when i got back and also after we got back from a day out at the parade. I will see how it feels on the run tomorrow and stop it early if its flaring up. Otherwise an easy and chilly early morning spin.
    Time:2:02:43, Dist:59.02kms, Power:AP186/NP190, Cad:83, HR:140,TSS:116, KJ:1214

I have only really started thinking about Barca today as its been just so busy lately. Looking forward to it and it cannot come around quick enough at this stage as it feels like i have been training so long for it.

Sunday
    1:15 run as 45mins easy and 30mins @ MP
    I headed into this run very nervous with the knee and was ready to pull the plug at any stage if it caused me any bother. Started off easier than easy just to test the knee out and it felt fine but felt it a small bit on any uphills. I need to manage and look after this closely over the next few days. Its not painful as such but i know its there and its probably being exaggerated with taper madness.
    I finished the MP effort like a horse on steroids coming in under 4min km pace for the last 5 minutes. I did do a lot of visualizing on today’s run and got that feeling, you know the one…..hairs on back of neck standing up and driving on like a horse towards the end of the run whilst imagining what it will feel like crossing the finish line gantry with 2:xx on the clock.
    The 30min effort came in at 4:10km pace for a 159AHR which is very good as its 90% of my LT and i plan to run up to 92%. A good one to sign off on and i am relieved.
    Time:1:18, Dist:17.58kms, Pace:4:26km, HR:155, TSS:158

Weekly numbers
    Taper week 2
    12th Mar - 18th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|8:24|133.06kms
    Swimming|4|2:21|6.4kms
    Cycling|2|2:53|83.67kms
    Running|3|3:10|42.99kms
    Strenth/Core|0|0:00|N/A

End of taper week 2 and only 7 days to my first A race of the year. I have let a lot of negative thoughts creep in this week and i am doing my best to ignore them. The usual stuff, have i done enough, will i blow up etc. Having blown up on my last marathon (raced) in London it does leave you vunerable especially when you are targeting a faster time this time around. My coach has been very helpful in this regard and i believe this is where a coach is worth their weight in gold by reinforcing the positives and helping you remember the work that has been done and the effort put in. I also think the taper has been very structured and went well apart from the knee niggle which was not training related should leave me buzzing right?
    The missus said something interesting to me today, "how come you seem more focused on this than any other marathon you have run and even worse than what you were like heading into UKIM last year". I love the innocence but she also said just go out and do the best you can so that you can be happy with yourself when you cross the finish line.
    There will be times when i will want to stop, there will be times when i will say to myself this hurts too much but i have created a lot of pressure on myself for a purpose as this will be used on race day when the going gets tough. There is no doubt about it this is a huge stretch for me but my main focus is just executing the best race i can....hopefully that race will finish with a 2:xx when i cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Did you blow up last time because you went out too fast? What pace will you start with, and when will you pick it up?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did you blow up last time because you went out too fast? What pace will you start with, and when will you pick it up?

Pace was too rich starting out (aiming for sub 3:10) and i was not in sub 3:10 shape back then. It also did not help that i ran a 40min marathon pb 5 weeks prior to London:rolleyes: so i was not fully recovered to have a serious attempt at taking another 9 minutes off that pb. A marathon blow up stays with you as they hurt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yeah...and I imagine it's a fine line between reaching your absolute max potential and crashing and burning. You're seasoned now and you've learned. You'll be fine and do grand. And there is wisdom in what your wife told you....just do your best and be happy with that. May sound innocent, but it helps to keep this in perspective and keep some of the internal struggle/doubts at bay, hopefully. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Looking at heading out at 4:13pace for a 2:58, going out at 4:15 for a 2:59:59 is just cutting things way too fine.
    I will see where 4:13s take me....hopefully to the finish line. I don't care as long as the first digit is a 2:xx:xx when i cross the finish line:)

JB are u in the same pen as the 3 hr pacers ?? Im most certainally not qualified to give u advice but it might b no harm to tag along with them.. It would let u relax and get into a good rythm without having to constantly check ur watch.. Also nice to run in a group... U can guage how ur feeling from say 30k on and if ur feeling good pick it up a little...

Enjoy the weeks taper ( if thats possible !! ) and best of luck.....

Advertisement